PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Have Rogue Trader GM Experience?

Welson
2009-11-04, 12:06 PM
*First post in 2 years....*

I'm soon going to be running a Rogue Trader (40K RPG) game (I'm the only one in our current group who hasn't GMed a game yet, and it's my turn up at bat). I've played Dark Heresy (same system, different character generation) before and it was a lot of fun. However, I went over character creation, and so far, the players in RT are QUITE A BIT more powerful than in DH (the players can start out with power weapons and plasma firearms). Also in the book, there are 'sample' enemies (Ork Freebooter, Eldar Corsair, etc...), but the sample enemies seem to be less powerful than the character (the polar opposite of DH :smallwink:). Has any RT GMs had any issues with balancing? I usually tweak encounters as I get a feel for how effective the players are, but I've never GMed the system and don't want them to feel like everything's a cakewalk before I can 'get in the groove'.

Ranos
2009-11-04, 12:18 PM
Beyond the first few sessions, I think most RT campaigns will be mostly player driven. So first off, try and get a feel for what they're gonna do so you can work out suitable antagonists.
Second, remember that superior firepower isn't the answer to everything. If your players are into that, use plenty of political or exploration based scenarios. Watch some sci-fi shows for inspiration.

Welson
2009-11-04, 12:53 PM
I'm not sure if they're expecting any kind of action* for the first encounter (most likely something - they all played DH and are anxious to see how their new weapons will work). My main worry is designing some kind of 'showdown' that's balanced in the way that it won't end with one side burned to a crisp (unless the dice conspire against me, as they often do). I don't intend any kind of big firefight for a while (hopefully they'll try other avenues instead of shooting first). Mainly, I don't want to have any semi-important bad guys dealt with too easily (be it outwitting or simply outshooting).

*action of the 'you've been shot' variety