View Full Version : A pair of [Monsterous] Player Races [3.5e]

Obrysii
2009-11-04, 12:11 PM
Beholderkin, Explorer
Small Aberration
Hit Dice: 1d8 (8hp)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 10ft., Fly 20ft. (average)
Armor Class: 14 (+2 natural +1 dex +1 size)
Face/Reach: 5ft./5ft.
BaB/Grapple: +0/-6
Attack: Longsword +0 (1d8-2) or Bite -4 (1d4-2)
Full Attack: Longsword +0 (1d8+2) and Bite -4 (1d4-2)
Special Attack: Eye rays
Special Qualities: Flight
Saves: ?
Abilities: Str 8, Dex 12, Con 10, Int 12, Wis 10, Cha 8
Feats: ?
Skills: ?
Alignment: Usually neutral
CR: 1
LA: +1

A small-sized orb approaches you inquisitively, its large central eye regarding you with thought and curiousity. Above its main eye are a pair of smaller eyes, and below the main eye is a gaping maw, filled with teeth but kept closed unless it is speaking. Below that, mounted to the bottom of its sphere-like body, are a pair of humanoid arms and hands.

Explorer Beholderkin are not directly related to the true Beholders, but rather are strange spawn of unknown origin and purpose. Driven by curiousity, the Explorers have slowly started popping up in cities around the world.

Combat
Explorer Beholderkin rarely fight, but when they do, they use manufactured weapons in addition to their own bite attack.

Eye rays (sp): An explorer beholderkin has two eyes permenently situated above its central eye. These are somewhat unique compared to other Beholderkind, because their functions are not set. In youth, an explorer beholderkin is taught two cantrips - and these become the eye ray's effects. They may use each cantrip up to 3 times per day. The DC is charisma based.

Flight (ex): An explorer beholderkin's flight is naturally produced by gasses contained within its body.

Explorer Beholderkin as Player Races
Str -2, Dex +2, Int +2, Cha -2
Speed: 10ft., Fly 20ft. (average)
Flight (ex): As above
Eye rays (sp): As above
Bite: Explorer Beholderkin have a secondary bite attack dealing 1d4+str
Arms: Explorer Beholderkin have two human-like arms, which enable them to use weapons and items as a humanoid might.
Small-sized
Aberration type
LA +1

-- -------------------------------------------------------
-- -------------------------------------------------------
Centipedian
Medium Magical Beast
Hit Dice: 1d8 (8hp)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 40ft., Climb 20ft.
Armor Class: 13 (+1 natural +2 dex)
Face/Reach: 5ft./5ft.
BaB/Grapple: +0/-2
Attack: Bite -2 or Crossbow +2
Full Attack: Bite -2 (1d4-2) or Crossbow +2 (1d8)
Special Attack: -
Special Qualities: Incognito, Multiple Limbs
Saves: ?
Abilities: Str 8, Dex 14, Con 10, Int 8, Wis 10, Cha 8
Feats: ?
Skills: ?
Alignment: Usually neutral
CR: 1
LA: +1

A human-sized centipede fast approaches you, traveling zigzag across the ground. It lacks large antenna but its first pair of legs appear almost humanoid - as if it is capable of manipulating objects.

An eccentric species of centipede capable of standing partially upright, the Centipedians possess multisegmented bodies that are long and lightly built.

A typical Centipedian is nine feet long with twenty segments, all but the first two containing a pair of legs (for a total of 18 pairs). THey are long but very squat, standing about a foot tall in their normal forms.

Combat
Centipedians are dexterous and quick to strike. They favor rogue-like tactics.

Incognito (ex): By standing on its last ten segments, a Centipedian is able to stand as tall as a human. By puffing out its other legs, it can give the resemblance of a humanoid in bulk - and thereby, when wearing a heavy cloak, appear to be a strange human moving slowly. A Centipedian going incognito slows to 20ft. per round and cannot use its normal climb speed, but can use items normally with its upper most arms and gains a +4 circumstance bonus on Disguise checks while wearing a heavy cloak or other fully-concealing piece of clothing. Shifting to its incognito form is a full round action, but returning to its quick centipede-like form is a free action.

Multiple Limbs A Centipedian has 18 pairs of legs; the pair closest to its head have fingers, and are capable of manipulating objects. It is always considered a quadruped for purposes of carrying capacity, and has a +4 racial bonus on bullrush and trip attempts made against it.

Centipedian as Player Races
Str -2, Dex +4, Int +2, Cha -2
Speed: 40ft., Climb 20ft.
Incognito (ex): As above
Multiple Limbs(sp): As above
Bite: Centipedian have a primary bite attack dealing 1d4+str
Medium sized
Magical Beast type
LA +1

What's everyone's opinion on these?

Mongoose87
2009-11-04, 12:19 PM
I think it's more in-line with LA+1 than LA +2.

Obrysii
2009-11-04, 12:24 PM
I think it's more in-line with LA+1 than LA +2.

Thank you for your feedback.

I felt Flight + an Int bonus would make it worthy of LA +2. Do you feel that these two benefits are still only worth LA +1?

Mongoose87
2009-11-04, 12:25 PM
Well, they don't fly very far, and there a LA +0 races that have +2 int. Eg. Grey Elves.

Edwin
2009-11-04, 12:39 PM
I'm with Mongoose here. +1 LA should be adequate.

Their fly speed sucks, I.E. is slower than regular humans, so shouldn't be much of a problem. Maybe you'd want to put a cap on the altitude they can fly through.

Although, I wouldn't make the eye rays at-will, but rather 3/day or such.

Obrysii
2009-11-04, 12:42 PM
I figured 2 0th level spells is not too broken if it's at will, but maybe 3/day is better.

What about the other monstrous PC race I posted?

Baron Corm
2009-11-04, 12:52 PM
Can you elaborate on the ability of the explorer to "update" its eye rays? You make it seem like it can get higher level spells in there.

I don't see how the centipedian gets a bonus on Disguise checks for standing upright and puffing out its chest. It still would look nothing like a human. It would look less human than a medusa, for example, and a medusa doesn't get any bonuses either.

Anonymouswizard
2009-11-04, 12:57 PM
I figured 2 0th level spells is not too broken if it's at will, but maybe 3/day is better.

What about the other monstrous PC race I posted?

It shouldn't refrence the explorer beholderkin.

Obrysii
2009-11-05, 10:00 AM
Can you elaborate on the ability of the explorer to "update" its eye rays? You make it seem like it can get higher level spells in there.

I don't see how the centipedian gets a bonus on Disguise checks for standing upright and puffing out its chest. It still would look nothing like a human. It would look less human than a medusa, for example, and a medusa doesn't get any bonuses either.

It is as it exactly says: whereas normal Beholders have eye rays that are set from birth (ie, specific functions), Explorers get to choose what spell each eye can produce.

So instead of being set with Daze and Ray of Frost, they can choose any two cantrips that it can cast.

I have altered the text of the Centipedian so that it only gains the bonus while hiding under heavy clothing.

Frog Dragon
2009-11-20, 01:38 PM
Sorry for the threadymancy, but while I love the Explorer Beholderkin and infact have been applying for one game with you Beholderkin, I'd like to comment on one thing I noticed when equipping my eyeball dude.

LoM quote
"A creature with a beholder-shaped body can wear the following
magic items:
One headband, hat, or phylactery on the body. A beholder
can only wear a helmet specially designed to fit over the
creature’s entire body.
Three pairs of eye lenses or goggles over the central eye and
up to two eyestalks (one pair per eye or eyestalk).
Three amulets, brooches, medallions, necklaces, periapts,
or scarabs on up to three eyestalks (one item per eyestalk).
One belt worn about an eyestalk.
One pair of bracers or bracelets on a pair of eyestalks.
Up to three rings on up to three eyestalks (one ring per
eyestalk).
Beholders cannot wear vests, vestments, shirts, robes, suits
of armor, cloaks, capes, mantles, gloves, gauntlets, boots, or
shoes."
Most of the beholders item's are on their eyestalks and your Explorer Beholderkin are basically Small Beholder-Eyestalks+Arms
This means the items you are basically allowed are
Hats and specially made helmets. Ring, Gloves, Bracers. 2x Goggles
And that is pretty much it. Makes pretty annoying to equip one.
Granted, there is little you can do about this. It just seriously impairs a character with a DM who isn't willing to rule zero some restrictions away.

Warclam
2009-11-20, 01:48 PM
I like these quite a bit. I share Frog Dragon's concern over the beholderkin's item slots, but that does seem like something that just comes with the territory of being a floating eyeball.

I'm worried about the beholderkin's movement modes, though. 10ft won't get them much of anywhere, but they can't just float in the air because you need at least good maneuverability to hover. Improving their maneuverability would probably be too good, but you might consider giving them a land speed of 20ft or giving them some sort of racial hover ability (maybe just Hover as a bonus feat?).

EDIT: How do they walk, anyway?

Averagedog
2009-11-20, 02:06 PM
I think the 0th level eye rays should be kept to at will, afterall, martial adepts essentially get maneuvers at will with the use of a feat...

Frog Dragon
2009-11-20, 02:14 PM
EDIT: How do they walk, anyway?
They don't. They roll around:smallbiggrin:.