PDA

View Full Version : Nemesis Prestige Class [3.5]

Frozen_Feet
2009-11-04, 01:10 PM
Design intent: This class is meant to represent someone who becomes hell-bent on slaying one particular foe, and will become his foe's worst nightmare in the process. The idea is to create a versatile class capable of synergizing with many different base classes, and because of this I avoided tying the class features to any one ability score.

Own comments:
Names for the class features are a bit haphazard. Suggestions for them are welcome.
The wording for some abilities is quite wonky. Please tell if you find any obvious oversights.
Ideas for new nemesis special feats, or a separate nemesis bonus feat list will be appreciated.
Prereqs for many feats were decided on whim. Adjustments are likely needed.

Nemesis Prestige class:

"For years, I served your lord. I trusted him, swore my loyalty to him, gave my all to obey his commands. He rewarded me by ruining all that was dear to me, and sent me to the far reaches of the world to die a fruitless, shameful death. But I survived, and stand here now to deliver retribution to that bastard.

So stand aside, you useless maggots. I didn't crawl back from the grave to fight blind fools like you. Even if you had gods of war beside you, you could not stop me. I will not be denied my vengeance."

A nemesis is someone who puts his life at stake to oppose someone. He might be a seeker of justice, trying to deliver just retribution on those who wronged him, or a plain madman who will stop at nothing to ruin the lives of his targets. For his enemies it makes little difference, for a nemesis rarely has even a shred of mercy left for them.

Fortunately to his foes, his dedication to oppose a specific foe can make a nemesis ignore or underestimate other threats, sometimes leading to his downfall. Unfortunately, this is of little comfort to them when the juggernaut of their nightmares approaches them, blade in hand...

Requirements:
BAB: +5
Feats: Endurance
Skill ranks: Intimidate 5, Concentration 5
Alignment: May not be Lawful Good
Special: After entering the class, whenever you gain enough experience to level up and even a single enemy you're focused on is alive, you must advance in this class.

HD: d8
Class Skills (4+Int modifier per level): Concentration (Con), Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Search (Int), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), Intimidate (Cha), Bluff (Cha), Sense Motive (Wis), Tumble (Dex), Hide (Dex), Move Silently (Dex), any two Knowledge skills (Int)
Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: All simple and martial weapons, light armor. If a character entering the class already has all martial weapon proficiencies, he may pick one exotic weapon proficiency.

{table=head]Level | Base Attack Bonus | Fort Save | Ref Save | Will Save | Special
1st | +1 | +2 | +0 | +2 | Focused Fury, Bonus Feat |
2nd | +2 | +3 | +0 | +3 | I can see you I|
3rd | +3 | +3 | +1 | +3 | Heighten Focus I|
4th | +4 | +4 | +1 | +4 | Spread Focus I, I can see you II |
5th | +5 | +4 | +1 | +4 | Terrible Mein, Bonus Feat |
6th | +6/+1 | +5 | +2 | +5 | I can see you III, Spread Focus II, Heighten Focus II|
7th | +7/+2 | +5 | +2 | +5 | Haunting Nightmares |
8th | +8/+3 | +6 | +2 | +6 | Spread Focus III|
9th | +9/+4 | +6 | +3 | +6 | Mental Disruption|
10th | +10/+5 | +7 | +3 | +7 | I am right beside you, Bonus Feat| [/table]

Focused Fury (Ex): At the start of an encounter, the nemesis may as a free action make a concentration check to focus his killing intent on one enemy. The DC for this check is (10 + target's CR). If the check is successfull, the nemesis receives +2 to attack and damage rolls and AC and the save DCs of his spells, powers and spell- or psi-like abilities against that enemy increase by 2. In addition, he receives +2 save bonus against any mind-affecting effects that try to prevent him from attacking his target. However, he also receives a -2 penalty to hit, damage, spell or power DC and AC against any other foe.

Once invoked, the focus cannot be revoked until the target creature is incapacitated (slain or helpless). The nemesis can never be focused on a number of foes greater than his class level. If the nemesis himself deals the finishing blow, he gains +1 morale bonus to all his rolls for the rest of the encounter. If someone else strikes the foe down, the nemesis instead suffers a -1 morale penalty.

Heighten Focus (Ex): At 3rd level, nemesis learns to intensify his focus. At any time during the battle, he may as a standard action make another concentration check against an enemy he's focused on; if successful, the bonuses granted increase to +4 to AC, attack and damage rolls, spell and save DC. The penalties remain the same. After 6th level, a third check can be made to increase the bonuses to +6. However, this comes with a price: if someone else takes down an enemy the nemesis is focused to, the morale penalties increase to -2 and -3, respectively. The nemesis can only increase his focus against an enemy he can see.

Spread Focus (Ex): As time passes, nemesis learns to focus on more than one enemy. At 4th level, he can as a free action pick up to two enemies to focus on at the start of an encounter. At any time during battle, he can also as a standard action pick a new target to focus on, to a maximum number of targets equal to his nemesis level. At 6th and 8th level, he can pick up to 3 and 4 enemies respectively at the start of an enounter. Note that heightening focus only works on one target at a time. Also, morale bonuses or penalties gained from incapacitating enemies are cumulative, up to +5 or down to -5.

I Can See You (Su): At 2nd level, nemesis becomes instinctively aware where his prey hides. He can add twice his class level to all spot, listen and search checks made to find an enemy he's focused on. The nemesis is considered to have the Track feat when tracking down the foe and if he already has the feat, he may add twice his class level to the survival check. Starting at 4th level, nemesis can ignore any miss chances caused by limited visibility or magic when attacking an enemy he's focused on. At 6th level and beyond, he's treated as always perceiving his target with true sight.

Terrible Mein (Ex): At 5th level, nemesis begins to cause such terror in his enemies that they cannot fight him effectively. As long as the enemy nemesis is focused on isn't immune to fear, the nemesis has general damage reduction equal to his strength or charisma modifier (whichever is higher) against that foe. Nemesis can also add twice his class level to any intimidate, bluff or sense motive checks made against such enemy.

Haunting Nightmares (Su): As the nemesis reaches 7th level, his foes can feel his wrath even when he is not present. If an enemy the nemesis is focused on manages to escape, it cannot rest properly as long as the nemesis remains within 20 miles of it. The target recovers lost hit points at half the normal rate, always starts its day fatigued and can only recover half of lost spells or power points. If the target gets farher away, the effect is suppressed until the nemesis again comes within range. This ability only works against foes who can feel fear.

Mental Disruption (Su): At 9th level, the nemesis's presence starts to cause serious uneasiness in foes he's focused on. When first focused on, targets with psionic focus must make a concentration check against (DC 15 + nemesis's character level) or lose their focus. Casters and manifesters add the nemesis's character level to the DC of any concentration checks made to prevent their spells or powers being disrupted. If the nemesis is one causing the disruption, such checks automatically fail.

I am Right Beside You (Su): At 10th level, the nemesis becomes able to follow his foe with speed of thought. At the start of his turn, he may immediately teleport next to the closest enemy he focused on within his vision and perform a single strike with his highest attack bonus against that enemy. Sneak attack, Quivering Strike and other forms of precision damage can be used if applicable. This ability is a full-round action.

Nemesis Bonus Feats: At 1st, 5th and 10th levels, the nemesis gains bonus feat selected from either nemesis's special feats or Fighter feats.

Nemesis special feats:
These feats can only be taken by a character with nemesis levels. When taken as bonus feats at 1st, 5th and 10th class levels, only the basic requirements need to be met. If bought with bonus feats from leveling up, the additional requirements must be fulfilled as well.

The 'Unkillable' tree:
No-one Could Survive That:
Basic prerequisites: Diehard
Additional prerequisites: Con 15, Iron Will
Effect: This feat allows the nemesis to suffer additional negative hitpoints equal to his nemesis level before dying. When he drops to -10 or below hitpoints, he becomes unconscious and appears dead for all intents and purposes. Even divination magic or clairsentient powers don't detect him as alive unless the caster's or manifester's character level exceeds the nemesis's character level by at least four. The nemesis can still recover lost hitpoints by all normal means, and when below -10 he is always stable and will not bleed to death.

Back from the Grave:
Basic prerequisites: No-one could survive that
Additional prerequisites: Con 17, Great Fortitude
Effect: This feat acts like its prerequisite; however, the benefit given by nemesis levels doubles.

Why Won't You Just Die?
Basic prerequisites: Back from the Grave
Additional prerequisites: Con 19, Mind Over Body
Effect: When reduced below -10 hitpoints, you may choose to act as if you were disabled, rather than falling unconscious. You must make this decision as soon as you are reduced below -10 hit points (even if it isn’t your turn). If you do not choose to act as if you were disabled, you fall unconscious as normal.

Additionally, any foe that has witnessed you being reduced below -10 hitpoints, and still ends up fighting you again, becomes convinced of your indestructibility. That foe is always considered shaken when facing you, even if it is normally immune to fear; only truly mindless beings are unaffected.

The 'Stalker' tree:

Backstabbing Bastard:
Basic prerequisites: Sneak Attack ability
Additional prerequisites: 10 ranks in Hide and Move Silently
Effect:If the nemesis's base class grants him the Sneak Attack ability, his nemesis levels now stacks with that class to improve his ability.

Horrible Surprise:
Basic prerequisites: Backstabbing Bastard
Additional prerequisites: Combat Reflexes, Deadly Precision
Effect: The target for nemesis's I am Right Beside you class ability is always considered flat-footed. Also, on a critical hit any Sneak Attack damage is multiplied as well.

The 'Zealot' tree:
Vengeful Smite:
Basic prerequisites: Smite ability
Additional prerequisites: 10 ranks in Knowledge (Planes) and Knowledge (Religion)
Effect: If the nemesis's base class grants him some form of Smite ability, his nemesis levels now stacks with that class to improve his ability.

Searing Zeal:
Basic prerequisites: Vengeful Smite
Additional prerequisites: Extra turning, Cha 17
Effect: When smiting his enemy, the nemesis may opt to use up two smite attempts to cause d4 damage per his effective smite level instead of normal smite bonus damage.

The 'Hunter' tree:
Unforgotten Grudge:
Basic prerequisites: Favored Enemy ability
Additional prerequisites: 15 ranks in the Knowledge skill governing your enemy
Effect: If the nemesis's base class grants him the Favored Enemy feature, his nemesis levels now stacks with that class to determine his bonuses.

The 'Martial Artist' tree:
Martial Mastery:
Basic prerequisites: Monk Unarmed Strike (or similar)
Additional prerequisites: Stunning Fist, Wis 17
Effect: If the nemesis's base class grants him Unarmed Strike ability, his nemesis levels now stacks with that class to improve his ability.

Know your enemy:
Basic prerequisites: At least two Knowledge skills with 5 ranks
Additional prerequisites: Another two Knowledge skills with 5 ranks, Open Minded
Effect: The nemesis can opt to make a knowledge check about any foe he's facing. This is an immediate action. The effects that can be achieved with this ability are listed below. Ony one effect can be active at a time, and only one check can be made against an enemy per encounter. The nemesis may as swift action share his knowledge with any allies within shouting range.

DC 5 + enemy CR: +1 competence or insight bonus to hit and AC.
DC 10 + enemy CR: +2 damage against that enemy.
DC 15 + enemy CR: +2 competence or insight bonus to any one saving throw against that enemy.
DC 20 + enemy CR: +2 CL to overcome spell or power resistance against that enemy.
DC 25 + enemy CR: use precision damage or Quivering Palm against that enemy, even if it is normally immune

Quivering Palm:
Basic prerequisites: Martial Mastery, Know your enemy
Additional prerequisites: Wis 19, Improved Critical
Effect: This feat gives the nemesis an ability similar to the monk class feature of the same name. Use character level in place of monk level to determine tha save DCs.

The 'Caster' tree:
Continued studies:
Basic prerequisites: Levels in caster or manifester class
Additional prerequisites: 15 ranks in either Knowledge (Arcana), Knowledge (Religion) or Knowledge (Psionics)
Effect: When picking this feat, the nemesis must choose one caster or manifester class he has levels in. At 1st, 3rd and 5th class level, he receives power points, spell or power progression and caster/manifester level as if he had gained a level in that class.

Intensive studies:
Basic prerequisites: Continued studies
Additional prerequisites: 20 ranks in either Knowledge (Arcana), Knowledge (Religion) or Knowledge (Psionics), Magical Aptitude or Psionic Affinity
Effect: When picking this feat, the nemesis must choose one caster or manifester class he has levels in. At 7th and 9th class level, he receives power points, spell or power progression and caster/manifester level as if he had gained a level in that class. If the class chosen was the same, this feat stacks with Continued studies.

Wrathful Surge:
Basic prerequisites: Intensive studies
Additional prerequisites: Combat Casting or Combat Manifestation, 25 ranks in either Spellcraft or Psicraft
Effect: By acquiring this feat, the nemesis learns to temporarily augment his existing powers or spells. When casting a spell or manifesting a power to buff himself or harm an enemy he's focused on, the nemesis can opt to make a concentration check agains (DC 15 + lvl of spell/power); if successfull, he adds his nemesis level to his caster or manifester level. After the spell or power is used, he can opt to make another concentration check against (DC 20 + lvl of spell/power); successful check means the prepared spell or spellslot is not used up, or that the power does not spend power points. Failure with the first check makes the nemesis dazed for the next round; failure with the latter also causes d4 abilty burn to his spellcasting/manifesting stat. The spell or power is still used normally.

Invoking wrathful surge is a free action. Using the power in rapid succession (ie. multiple times within one encounter) increases the concentration check DC by 2 per use.

Lore of Destruction:
Basic prerequisites: Intensive Studies and one of the following domains: Madness, Destruction, Death, War, Battle (arcane), Evocation (arcane), Fire (arcane or divine) or Storm (arcane)
Additional prerequisites: Combat Casting, 25 ranks in Spellcraft
Effect: Pick one domain listed in the prerequisites: your nemesis levels stack with the class granting you the domain for determining bonus spells available and their caster levels.

Milskidasith
2009-11-04, 01:16 PM
Anything about spell DCs is worthless because no caster would take a full noncasting prestige class. Also, there should be a save (or a concentration check) to ignore losing your psionic focus; imagine if I had an ability that said "Wizards temporarily lose all spells prepared with metamagic, no save."

Frozen_Feet
2009-11-07, 05:48 AM
Anything about spell DCs is worthless because no caster would take a full noncasting prestige class.

I'm sure there are other crazy players like me who just might take the class for the fluff* (or for the lulz). This is the reason for spell DC bonuses, as well as Continued studies and such: I'm trying to give those people a way to not suck horribly at their original profession. I'm just trying to find a balance of not giving them too much or too little or bloating the class with magic feats.

Also, what about expanding the save DC bonuses to spell and psi-like abilities? My memory is hazy, but there should be some races or other non-casting PrCs that would benefit from that.

* Once I get around creating some, that is.

Also, there should be a save (or a concentration check) to ignore losing your psionic focus; imagine if I had an ability that said "Wizards temporarily lose all spells prepared with metamagic, no save."

Point. Added a concentration check to the description.

Other updates:

Continued studies now grants two caster/manifester levels.
Using Know your enemy is now an immediate action. You can also share information as a swift action.

Latronis
2009-11-07, 06:06 AM
So i Could be a cleric10\Stalker1 and really be a lv12 cleric!?

Frozen_Feet
2009-11-07, 06:17 AM
I'm aware of the problem. I'm currently scratching my head to decide what's the best way to get around it. What about giving Cont. studies a prereq feat and changing the bonus to +3 levels in previous class? +1 bonus seemed too little. However, I'm bit hazy where this would put Wratful Surge in the end.

Latronis
2009-11-07, 06:21 AM
You could always just add a line about not giving bonuses beyond HD\Character Level.

So if you take it at lv1 with full progression beforehand you'd only get +1 but then stalker level 2 comes around and suddenly you are lv12 so you would get the full benefit. Might make the progression a little funky but it would stop those sudden jumps in spellcasting power.

golentan
2009-11-07, 06:39 AM
Wow. A rogue/monk/stalker can dish some serious hurt with this (with fractional BAB, I hope). Especially if they have craven, and Ascetic Rogue or whatever it is. Since you've listed stalker feats as FEATS I assume they can be taken when you'd normally get one and not just when the Stalker gets a bonus feat, which leads to:

"Boom. Teleport up to you. Take 2d10+10d6+20+power attack damage, and save or die. Don't care that you are wonky creature type. Also, do not counterattack effectively."

Also, I'm uncomfortable with the stalker name. Could you maybe change it to Nemesis?

Frozen_Feet
2009-11-07, 06:50 AM
Since you've listed stalker feats as FEATS I assume they can be taken when you'd normally get one and not just when the Stalker gets a bonus feat, which leads to..."

You know, I've considered disallowing taking them as normal bonus feats so that scenarios like that won't happen. I might add additional prereqs to them when taking them as normal feats.

Although I must admit combos like that would be quite fun.

Also, I'm uncomfortable with the stalker name. Could you maybe change it to Nemesis?
Will do that after more pressing concerns are dealt with. Any specific reason you are uncomfortable with the name?

golentan
2009-11-07, 07:25 AM
It's just a deep down queasy feeling I get. I'm not going to justify it more than that, but the name makes me very uncomfortable.

Nemesis doesn't trigger the same feelings, and adequately describes someone who is dedicated to being the most nightmarish opponent he can to a single opponent or small group. It also fits better, in that a stalker conceals themselves and follows a target rather than engaging in single combat generally.

Frozen_Feet
2009-11-07, 03:05 PM
Okay, a major update is up. Chances include:

The class name is now nemesis
Special Feats are now divided into specific trees. The goal is to have 3, 4 feats in each tree.
Additional prereqs have been added to the spec. feats
Improved formatting of feat entries
The improved caster feats have been edited to the 1st post. For three feats, the nemesis effectively gains half-casting and a bit extra.
Added War domain to Lore of Destruction
Included a special rule for levelling up.
Fixed a few typos

So, how does it look right now?

Frozen_Feet
2009-11-14, 06:06 AM
Added some fluff for the class, and made Wratful Surge and Lore of Destruction require psi- or spellcraft when acquired by leveling up. Still looking for feedback and ideas for more feats.

Fizban
2009-11-15, 04:29 AM
I like it. It doesn't quite match the fluff story of targeting a lord who betrayed him, but a fighter that focuses on one enemy at a time is awesome, and you could choose to mark someone beforehand if you knew they were going to betray you (and then track them down and kill them of course).

I don't know about it being worthless for casters. Sure, thou shalt not lose caster levels, but in a game that's not crazy optimized you can get away with losing one or two. At the cost of one casting level you can get three levels of d8 HD, full BAB, high fort save, and the ability to increase you save DC's by 2 on a single target, or by 4 with a standard action. Wizard Stalker wins initiative, glares for a standard action, and unleashes a save or die: if you thought a normal wiz could make his DC impossible then you aren't ready for this. For a gish that hasn't lost caster levels yet elsewhere you'll probably take it to 5th or 7th and get more unstoppableness.

In fact, everything I see in this class looks like it was carefully planned so that it hits right at the right time, nice job Frozen :smallsmile: It goes a little outside the usual conventions of + level of previous ability, but the way it's set up allows more options and flows more smoothly than just +levels. The fact that you can grab the "bonus feat-ures" with normal level up feats means you can have one nemesis that embodies the class in every way and another that doesn't have anything but the barebones focus and fighter feats, and you can feat juggle with prerequisites if you need to.

A point for fixing: No One Could Survive That doesn't automatically stabilize you, so it's actually quite likely that even if he lands within the -10 to -20 range (less and less likely at higher levels), he'll probably bleed out while everyone thinks he's past dead anyway. I'd say to just slap on the auto-stabilize for free when you take it: stabilize alone isn't worth a feat but it's needed to make the ability work.

Frozen_Feet
2009-11-15, 12:17 PM
Added 'thou shalt not bleed to death' clause to No Could Survive That. Nice to hear you like the class, Fizban, it tells me all my work hasn't gone to waste.

Anyways, I'm off to Lapland for the next two weeks, so no updates for a while.

Milskidasith
2009-11-15, 12:39 PM
I don't know about it being worthless for casters. Sure, thou shalt not lose caster levels, but in a game that's not crazy optimized you can get away with losing one or two. At the cost of one casting level you can get three levels of d8 HD, full BAB, high fort save, and the ability to increase you save DC's by 2 on a single target, or by 4 with a standard action. Wizard Stalker wins initiative, glares for a standard action, and unleashes a save or die: if you thought a normal wiz could make his DC impossible then you aren't ready for this. For a gish that hasn't lost caster levels yet elsewhere you'll probably take it to 5th or 7th and get more unstoppableness.

+4 to the DC in exchange for not casting a spell that round is not worth it. +2 to the DC might be worth it if there weren't full casting PrCs with better abilities, or if there weren't so many "no save, just suck" spells. HP and BAB are useless for a caster. This is still useless for a caster. Plus, you have to burn two feats (Practiced caster and the one that lets you get casting with this class) to match a regular one in terms of caster level anyway.

In fact, everything I see in this class looks like it was carefully planned so that it hits right at the right time, nice job Frozen :smallsmile: It goes a little outside the usual conventions of + level of previous ability, but the way it's set up allows more options and flows more smoothly than just +levels. The fact that you can grab the "bonus feat-ures" with normal level up feats means you can have one nemesis that embodies the class in every way and another that doesn't have anything but the barebones focus and fighter feats, and you can feat juggle with prerequisites if you need to.

A point for fixing: No One Could Survive That doesn't automatically stabilize you, so it's actually quite likely that even if he lands within the -10 to -20 range (less and less likely at higher levels), he'll probably bleed out while everyone thinks he's past dead anyway. I'd say to just slap on the auto-stabilize for free when you take it: stabilize alone isn't worth a feat but it's needed to make the ability work.[/QUOTE]

Zeta Kai
2009-11-15, 02:10 PM
1) This is a cool prestige class, one with a lot of flavor. I'd probably only use it for NPCs, but it would make a great Inigo Montoya.

2) The word is SUCCESSFUL, not "succesful".

3) The word is IGNORE, not "ingore".

4) The word is BONUSES, not "boni". If you use the word "boni" again, then your fate is sealed. I'm just sayin'.

5) I really like the feat paths available to the Nemesis, which makes this prestige class much more versatile than most others. Kudos.

Fizban
2009-11-17, 01:07 AM
+4 to the DC in exchange for not casting a spell that round is not worth it. +2 to the DC might be worth it if there weren't full casting PrCs with better abilities, or if there weren't so many "no save, just suck" spells. HP and BAB are useless for a caster. This is still useless for a caster. Plus, you have to burn two feats (Practiced caster and the one that lets you get casting with this class) to match a regular one in terms of caster level anyway.

In theory sure, but in practice I don't think any spellcaster has ever complained about having more hit points. Casting another spell to force another save is statistically better than +4 DC, true, but if you face an endurance run you want every spell to count, and in general more spells in reserve means more options: if you use two will save spells because a couple enemies got lucky and you needed to hit them again you'll have 1 fewer will save spell for later in case you find more will-weak enemies. Furthermore the "feat" you spend getting casting from the class is a bonus feat granted by the class, you're actually sacrificing other "class feat-ures" to get the casting. If you're really going to miss the 1 or 2 CL then you probably wouldn't take the class anyway, so I'd say you probably aren't burning feats on it.

I'm not arguing that it's great in an optimization sense, but from my own experience and the campaign journals I've read on this board, this can easily be a good class for casters in the first several levels. It costs a couple casting levels in exchange for greatly increasing your endurance and on the spot versatility by letting you make sure that each spell counts, and gives you a nice hp bonus (and chance to hit with rays, not always guaranteed even at mid levels). Silverclaw's seafaring campaign had a player who ended up Swashbuckler 1/ Sorcerer 2/ Archivist 6 or somesuch by the middle of the campaign. Horrible from an optimization standpoint, but he was actually the most effective a lot of the time because he always took classes with abilities that they really needed in the situations they were in and used them where they were most effective. Total level didn't matter so much as what you could get done, and he could get a lot done with his mish mash of classes. I expect that in a campaign where getting things done is more important than power a caster Nemesis would go far.

Frozen_Feet
2009-11-28, 04:38 PM
From your comments I can tell I've been going towards the right direction. I fixed the typos mentioned by Zeta_Kai. Anyways, I'm thinking of adding the following feat to the hunter and stalker trees, but can't think of a good name or extra prereqs for it. Ideas?

[Wacky name here]:
Basic prerequisites: Unforgotten Grudge or Vengeful Smite
Additional prerequisites: [Crazy prereqs here]
Effect: Nemesis's resolve clears away the forces that would protect his enemies from his wrath. When smiting an opponent or fighting his favored enemies, this feat allows Nemesis to ignore protection and magic circle spells that would shield his foe. He can also ignore his class levels worth of Damage Reduction that is bypassed by silver or cold iron and magic, blessed or aligned damage.