PDA

View Full Version : Why Erudite arguments?

Kobold-Bard
2009-11-04, 04:28 PM
1. Is there another version of the Erudite than the one in Complete Psionic, or this one (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20060406b&page=1); which is the same as far as I can see?

I can't see any confusion about the number of Unique Powers/day from these. It gets 11 at Level 20. Yet I see arguments about them getting 99 or more. Unless there is another version these all seem insane, with no basis whatsoever.

2. With the (as I see it only option) 11 Powers/day reading, is Spell to Power particularly overpowered?

Thanks very much for not beating me with a stick.

K-B

The Rose Dragon
2009-11-04, 04:32 PM
1. Is there another version of the Erudite than the one in Complete Psionic, or this one (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20060406b&page=1); which is the same as far as I can see?

I can't see any confusion about the number of Unique Powers/day from these. It gets 11 at Level 20. Yet I see arguments about them getting 99 or more. Unless there is another version these all seem insane, with no basis whatsoever.

2. With the (as I see it only option) 11 Powers/day reading, is Spell to Power particularly overpowered?

Thanks very much for not beating me with a stick.

K-B

The "a certain number of unique psionic powers of each level per day" part, especially the each level part.

So, you get 11 powers for each level of powers you can manifest, according to a direct reading. Which, at level 20, means 99 powers.

I'm not sure how you get more powers, but I'm sure someone else will explain.

Kobold-Bard
2009-11-04, 04:47 PM
The "a certain number of unique psionic powers of each level per day" part, especially the each level part.

So, you get 11 powers for each level of powers you can manifest, according to a direct reading. Which, at level 20, means 99 powers.

I'm not sure how you get more powers, but I'm sure someone else will explain.

I must of completely glazed over that part. In that case I see the 99 Powers making total sense. If it was 11/day I assume it would have said:

...an erudite is limited to manifesting a certain number of unique psionic powers of any level per day from the repertoire of powers he knows...

rather than

...an erudite is limited to manifesting a certain number of unique psionic powers of each level per day from the repertoire of powers he knows...

Of course I could still be way off the mark.

And I think more powers still come from:

...an erudite is limited to manifesting a certain number of unique psionic powers of each level per day from the repertoire of powers he knows, according to his class level...
leaving you with 11 Unique Powers/Class level, for a grand total of 220. Although that would seem to refer to the number 1-11 depending on class level, rather than getting powers/class level.

I'm rambling now. I'll be quiet.

Fax Celestis
2009-11-04, 04:47 PM
"[...]a certain number of unique psionic powers of each level per day" translates to "X per level per day", which means 11/level/day.

It's a poorly worded ability, and the RAI and RAMS is for 11 powers.

Kobold-Bard
2009-11-04, 04:52 PM
RAMS?? That's new to me.

Claudius Maximus
2009-11-04, 05:01 PM
Rules As Make Sense.

Kobold-Bard
2009-11-04, 05:05 PM
Rules As Make Sense.

So basically it's a Dm's discretion thing, or is there a definitive answer via errata etc?

Fax Celestis
2009-11-04, 05:06 PM
So basically it's a Dm's discretion thing, or is there a definitive answer via errata etc?

Discretion.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-11-04, 05:10 PM
RAW: Rules as Written
RAI: Rules as Intended
RAB: Rules as Balanced
RAMS: Rules As Make Sense(RAI except for AMF etc)
RAASDMWA: Rules as any Sane Dungeon Master Would Allow(PO)
RANSDMWA: Rules as no Sane Dungeon Master Would Allow(TO)

Gametime
2009-11-04, 05:10 PM
Rules As Makes Sense.

Aside from that single mention of "level", the rest of the ability doesn't refer to levels (character, class, or power) at all. The only example they give is as unhelpful as it could possibly be, since a 1st level Erudite would only be able to manifest a single unique power under either interpretation, but the way its worded seems to indicate that the ability is meant to give them that many unique powers per day.

FMArthur
2009-11-04, 11:39 PM
I don't think Spell-to-Power is overpowered if you're going by the class's table. The tiny Unique Powers limit is crippling.

Sinfire Titan
2009-11-05, 09:50 AM
I don't think Spell-to-Power is overpowered if you're going by the class's table. The tiny Unique Powers limit is crippling.

2 words: Arcane Fusion.

Its powerful on a Sorcerer, Game Breaking on the Erudite (regardless of which interpretation you go with). And thanks to Psi/Magic Transparency, it works. This is the one instance where I would make an exception to the transparency rules.

Kroy
2009-11-05, 10:20 AM
RAW: Rules as Written
RAI: Rules as Intended
RAB: Rules as Balanced
RAMS: Rules As Make Sense(RAI except for AMF etc)
RAASDMWA: Rules as any Sane Dungeon Master Would Allow(PO)
RANSDMWA: Rules as no Sane Dungeon Master Would Allow(TO)

What about RAMAGG? Rules as makes a good game? Of course it is highly subjective, but I've seen it used.