PDA

View Full Version : [IC] Travels of Talar

Flarp
2009-11-04, 06:24 PM
http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt284/Arathanar/th_Talar.png (http://s620.photobucket.com/albums/tt284/Arathanar/?action=view&current=Talar.png)

Talar: an unexplored world, full of intrigue, treasure, and danger.

Four adventurers, for reasons of their own, have come to the tranquil village of Delwyn Mills - a minor town on a trade route through Elderleaf Forest, the elven homeland.

Sustaining an economy through the river that runs through town and the waterfalls within it, Delwyn Mills is part of the Fendillian Alliance: a trade kingdom ruled by an elven government, which reports to the Pentacouncil of Elvenkind.

Because of this, most villages and towns of Fendillian are predominantly human, with regular appearances of elven traders, governors, and politicians. Other than this, however, the humans are willing participants in this nation, and are allowed near complete autonomy.

This is Delwyn, then. A sleepy village, set on hills, with a slow river running gently down the sharp drops that mark the town's landscape. The village is set just within the Forest, meaning that though imposing trees surround the settlement, the open plains are a three hours walk away.

Within, dirt and rock roads pave the streets, which house shopfronts and homes made of stone and wood. The elves' influence on the town is evident - all the wood used in construction has been carefully hewn or shaped by magic - no sharp cuts of any kind.

In the center of town, the river is diverted into two tiny streams to allow room for an island park, growing beautiful flowers for the citizens and rare reagents for the local wizard.

Just above the park is the market - an ever changing thoroughfare of permanent shops and seasonal tents, dyed with vibrant colors. The side of the market set on the river is full of granaries, blacksmiths, and woodworks - work needing the powerful mills of the stream.

The other side is dominated by more artistic fare - more evidence of the elves. Paintings, sculptures, instruments; all these and more can be found in the so-called "Artisan Side" of Delwyn.

South of the park is the tiny town hall and a small museum, connected by a hallway. Like all cities, towns, and villages of Fendillian, Delwyn's laws are decided by its residents, and then approved by an elven governor, who resides in the town hall.

Surrounding this main road are barely twenty small houses, residences for those who don't sleep above their shops. Most houses maintain some sort of garden or grove nearby, filled with sylvan plants and occasionally small pets.

A single tavern lies on the far side of the town, past the town hall - the Cheery Archer, an entirely wooden building three visible floors. In the daytime, its dim light portrays emptiness. After hours, however, it is the center of town activity. The massive window on the second story brims with a warm, yellow glow, and the faint sound of friendly-but-not-rowdy patrons is audible from the outside.

Indoors, the tavern has a bar on its first story, cramped inside along with sitting windows and a grand staircase upstairs. On the second story, cushioned booths set into the wall contrast with wooden and stone tables, long and accommodating to the large party, place in the center around the stairs down.

OOC: here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7254539#post7254539).

Chrono22
2009-11-04, 08:15 PM
Elspeth
Elspeth and Dogmeat finally spot Delwyn's entrance as night begins to settle.

"Curses! The inn is going to be full by now... not that it matters, I guess."

She pets the panting wolf on the head,

"We hardly have enough money left for a meal, let alone a room. We'll be sleeping on the ground again."

Dogmeat whines, "Aaaarrrgh".
Elspeth looks for an unoccupied cave (if possible, one behind a waterfall) to make camp for the night.

That informant directed us to this town. We can go out and gather information tomorrow.

Flarp
2009-11-04, 08:47 PM
Elspeth:
The first two waterfalls up the slope hide nothing but a solid rock wall. The third, however, covers an opening to a small cave, no more than ten feet across.

Looking in, you see the cave is circular and contains nothing of note, aside from a single section of wall covered in small boulders. The floor of the cave slopes downward toward a depression in the center.

Outside the cave lies the waterfall directly below the park just above your head, and beyond that, the town hall. You can just barely make out the inn from this distance, its lights still glowing.

d13
2009-11-04, 09:01 PM
Kia Ghallanda

Arriving at the gates (or whatever), the halfling blinks as the sight of a human in armor, with a panther by his side.

Well... That's something you don't get to see everyday

Raising her shoulders, she turns around, leans on her quarterstaff, and watches the Sun as it finishes to hide behind the trees. Then, she takes a deep breath, and speaks, to no-one in particular.

"This is why I love travelling. Lots and lots of beautiful sceneries and landscapes to see"

Taking a moment to admire the trees, and the rest of the place she is, she heads to the closest inn. A place to rest and stretch her legs would be nice, for a change.

Just in case...
Italics --> Thoughts
"Quoted text" --> Speech
"Little quoted text" --> Whispers
Little unquoted text --> Random information

Aaaand... I claim blue for my speech :smallbiggrin:

Flarp
2009-11-04, 09:18 PM
As the night grows darker, the wind in the trees begins to audibly pick up, blowing a chilly gust through the town.

Kia:

As you walk toward the Archer, an aging human in blue robes walks straight into you from a side path. Looking around wildly, he doesn't seem to notice you, and stoops over, facing away from you, picking up his scrolls that flew out of his grip.

As he turns around, the man notices you and startles for a moment - his thick grey eyebrows shooting into his flyaway mop of hair.

"Oh, sorry, I'm ma'am! Er, reverse that."

Before waiting for your response, he looks around wildly, toward the path behind him.

"You didn't see a sheaf of parchment blow past, did you? It's so hard to keep track of things in this season, with the rain and the wind..."

The human trails off, looking at you quizzically.

d13
2009-11-04, 09:29 PM
Kia

"Not really, bu..."

She answers the second the old man trails off.

OK. That DEFINITELY is not something you see everyday

Puzzled, Kia makes her way to the inn.

Kia will ask for a room and settle there until the morning, if there's nothing else to do, or RP.

Chrono22
2009-11-04, 09:57 PM
Elspeth
Elspeth makes a small campfire and roasts some lizards she found in the forest earlier for a meal.
After eating (and checking to make sure she isn't being observed), she sets Dogmeat at the cave entrance.
"Guard."
She then avails herself of her armor and clothing, and quickly proceeds to wash the dust and grime of the road off in the waterfall.
By Llaler, that's cold!
She then cleans her clothes, and dries them by the fire. When they are sufficiently dry, she dons them and goes to sleep with Dogmeat by the campfire.
If nothing bothers them overnight, Elspeth and Dogmeat will get up the following morning.

Roethke
2009-11-04, 10:00 PM
Llewellyn Moat

Llewellyn sat at his table, sipping sourly at his wine and grousing to himself,

Seemed like such a good venture. Needed to get out of Sligh anyhow and they were still using snares in these woods. Snares! A good trapmaker was just what Delwyn needed. That daft priest said the fresh air would do me good, too. See what he knows. Now I'm down to my last silver. How was I to know the mush-brained elves took offense if you put nail to wood? And how can I make a decent trap out of just a bunch of rocks or grass. Gah.

He mumbles on in a similar vein for some time. Then stops to amuse himself by using Prestidigitation to soil the glasses of bar patrons immediately after the barkeep washes them.

Noble Savant
2009-11-05, 07:59 AM
Verin walked into the town of Delwyn whistling a jaunty tune. His pockets, and his stomach were empty. A few miles and gambles ago, both of them had been full. Still he felt that he had gotten the better of that deal, as he examined the crossbow he had one in a similar wager. A slick wooden contraption, dwarvish according to the man he'd won it from. It looked intimidating.

"Perfect!" He said to no one in particular. He strode forward toward the nearest source of light, the local tavern. If something interesting was going to happen it would happen there. At the very least, they would have some food.

Verin went in with a bang. Literally. He shoved the door to the tavern open roughly with his hands, smiling at the impressive noise. He walked in coolly, crossbow slung across his back. "That should get things started at least.

Flarp
2009-11-05, 04:03 PM
Elspeth:

Nothing of note occurs during the night, though the skies open up around midnight, causing a torrential downpour.

With the rain pounding on the park above and the waterfall gushing harder than ever, a DC 10 survival check is forced to remain asleep.

[roll0]

You're woken at some early hour of the morning, opening your eyes to see a pitch black town beyond the pouring waterfall.

Kia, Verin, and Llewellyn:

As the night goes on and barkeep becomes more and more frustrated with his glasses, many customers mutter their farewells to the bartender and ascend the stairs or leave into the now-pouring rain.

As the windows from the outside turn from dusky to pitch-black, a leather-clad human and a halfling woman entered the inn.

"Oh, more cust'mers! Don' usually get 'em 'round these hours! C'mere, have a drink!" beckoned the barkeep.

Chrono22
2009-11-05, 04:12 PM
Elspeth

I suppose I won't be able to go back to sleep... might as well get an early start then.

Elspeth cleans her armor and weapons. She then starts to practice her forms, but the low ceiling of the cave inhibits her motion.

(Has the rain stopped?)

Flarp
2009-11-05, 04:19 PM
(Don't worry, as soon as you all get in the same place, I'll stop using these spoiler tags.)

Elspeth

The rain continues to pound the ground around the cave, though it seems to be letting up, slightly. A wet, grassy smell wafts in from the cave opening, something like fresh dew.

(Time-wise, you're a little bit ahead, so I'm going to let the other three catch up to you before the rain stops.)

Roethke
2009-11-05, 08:20 PM
Llewellyn Moat

Somewhat the worse for wear after his evening of drinking, Llewellyn finally tires of his sport with the Barkeep. He sidles up to the bar to join the newcomers. "You folks don't look like you're from around here either. Maybe you let me spend my last coppers on some ale for ya, and you tell me how you ended up in the elf-hole, and make me feel better.

Noble Savant
2009-11-06, 05:06 PM
As the man spoke to him Verin paused, open mouthed. "Ended up in this..." He spluttered, and then began to laugh loudly, pounding his hand on a convenient table. "That was funny." He told Llewellyn wiping a tear from his eye. "You're funny." He plopped down on the seat next to him.

"I'm sorry to disappoint you though," He told him, grinning. "I don't have a special reason for being here. All roads lead to something fun, that's my motto. Plus, I ran out of money and this place was closest."

He turned to Tia. "Your turn."

d13
2009-11-07, 05:31 PM
Kia

Startled as she wasn't really paying attention, Kia starts to talk nervously, scratching her dragonmark absent-mindedly.

"Well... I..."

Taking a deep breath, she continues. She had never been good at talking, and strangers made her nervous.

"Well... I love travelling as it is. Always new places to see and experience.
Didn't you just see how beautiful the sunset was? That alone was worth the trip.
By the way... Uhm... Name's Kia. Nice to meet you"

d13
2009-11-11, 02:04 PM
So... Bumpity Bump. Anybody home?

Chrono22
2009-11-11, 07:17 PM
Elspeth

Elspeth, bored with sitting in a damp cave, decides to take the chance that she'll lose her last few funds on the possibility she'll meet someone that can assist her quest.

After several minutes of running through the rain, toward the light filled tavern, she enters.
She nods at the bartender,

"I'll take whatever you have, as long as it's hot."

And with that, Elspeth takes a seat at the bar.

Flarp
2009-11-11, 07:46 PM
( I'm posting this OOC note here just to let you know that I am indeed still alive, but there's not been anything requiring my intervention in the IC thread.

I don't want anything important to happen until morning, as Elspeth isn't with you and is on a slightly different timeline, due to me accidentally waking her past midnight instead of at sunset. )