PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Large Stone Dog

Thurbane
2009-11-04, 07:17 PM
Hey all, looking for some advice…

In our last session, we fought a Dracolisk, which managed to turn the Druid’s companion into stone. The riding dog was under the effects of an Animal Growth spell at the time. We ended the session after defeating the Dracolisk, but now we have the problem of the dog. I have a few questions:

Seeing as is it is stone, would it remain large beyond the normal duration of Animal Growth (the DM has ruled that it does, which I’m happy to abide by, but was wondering if this was RAW?).
Any idea how much a large, stone riding dog would weigh? We have to transport it back to town (we have no access to Flesh to Stone) – we do have a Portable Hole, but there is some question of whether the dog will fit or not.
Would a Break Enchantment restore the dog?

Party consists of Halfling Druid 12, Deep Dwarf Monk 12, Human Dragon Shaman 12, Beguiler 11, Dwarf Fighter 10 and Coure Eladrin Rogue 3, if that helps.

Cheers - T

jiriku
2009-11-04, 07:26 PM
Break enchantment will work. Your dog statue probably weighs a few thousand pounds. The group of you could probably lift it for short distances, but traveling with it is going to require a sturdy wagon if you can't fit it in the portable hole.

Fizban
2009-11-04, 07:53 PM
For weight, I think the multiplier in the stone body spell was x8, so take the riding dog's weight (google it) x8 for size increase x8 again for stone. Break Enchantment specifically says it works on Flesh to Stone IIRC, even though it normally wouldn't. I'd say that since the dog is in suspended animation while stone (does not age, thirst, etc), spell effects would be suspended as well. It's not RAW, but I don't know of any way to rule it RAW. The dog is only a large sized creature, so it should fit in the hole just fine. If your DM rules it's more than 6' long and froze in a fully extended position just rig up a block and tackle and lower it in sideways.

Thurbane
2009-11-04, 08:08 PM
According to Wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_Mastiff), a male English Mastiff (as a guideline for a riding dog) has an average weight of 200 lbs. 200 * 8 (for size increase) * 8 (for stone) = 12,800 lbs! That's one heavy dawg! (Sounds about right, though). :smalleek:

Checking the SRD regarding pretirifcation:

Petrified: A petrified character has been turned to stone and is considered unconscious. If a petrified character cracks or breaks, but the broken pieces are joined with the body as he returns to flesh, he is unharmed. If the character’s petrified body is incomplete when it returns to flesh, the body is likewise incomplete and there is some amount of permanent hit point loss and/or debilitation.
So I suppose by RAW, the Animal Growth should expire after it's normal duration, but like I said, I'm happy to abide the Dms decision.

In regards to Break Enchantment, I was sure it specifically mention pretification, but I can't find it on the SRD:

Break Enchantment
Abjuration

Level: Brd 4, Clr 5, Luck 5, Pal 4, Sor/Wiz 5
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 minute
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Targets: Up to one creature per level, all within 30 ft. of each other
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: See text
Spell Resistance: No

This spell frees victims from enchantments, transmutations, and curses. Break enchantment can reverse even an instantaneous effect. For each such effect, you make a caster level check (1d20 + caster level, maximum +15) against a DC of 11 + caster level of the effect. Success means that the creature is free of the spell, curse, or effect. For a cursed magic item, the DC is 25.

If the spell is one that cannot be dispelled by dispel magic, break enchantment works only if that spell is 5th level or lower.

If the effect comes from some permanent magic item break enchantment does not remove the curse from the item, but it does frees the victim from the item’s effects.
I'm a bit concerned, because Flesh to Stone is a 6th level spell. But like Fizban, I was sure Break Enchantment specifically mentioned petrification...

streakster
2009-11-04, 09:06 PM
Hire someone to cast animate object on the dog. The druid's companion just got hardness!

Starscream
2009-11-04, 09:42 PM
Hire someone to cast animate object on the dog. The druid's companion just got hardness!

And will probably remain enlarged forever. Sounds like a good deal to me!

Boci
2009-11-04, 09:46 PM
And will probably remain enlarged forever. Sounds like a good deal to me!

Step one: Break enchantment
Step two: Find new Dracolisk
Step three: Buff animal companion like mad
Step four: Allow them to be turned to stone
Step five: Cast animate object
Step six: ??? (maybe do same with remaining party members)
Step seven: Profit

Darrin
2009-11-04, 11:45 PM
In regards to Break Enchantment, I was sure it specifically mention pretification, but I can't find it on the SRD:

You have to go by the description in the PHB, which specifically mentions Flesh to Stone. This is just one of those quirks in the SRD where the text doesn't match the PHB.

Thurbane
2009-11-05, 12:46 AM
You have to go by the description in the PHB, which specifically mentions Flesh to Stone. This is just one of those quirks in the SRD where the text doesn't match the PHB.
Indeed it does - thanks, I thought I was going barmy. It also specifically mentions Break Enchantment and Basilisks on page 168. :smallsmile: