PDA

View Full Version : (3.5) Changing armor size

koeldflare
2009-11-04, 07:37 PM
Hey playgrounders, I have a quick (and hopefully easy) question to ask you guys:
How does a person change the size of magical armor to fit other people in the party?

For example if a group of adventurers is raiding a dungeon and they find a Medium size +3 Mythril Chainshirt and the only one in the party who could use it is small size, what do you do? Is there a way to change the size of the armor, maybe an enchantment similar to the weapon property sizing?

I'm looking for this because I'm making a Master of Many Forms, and it's been ruled that even if my armor has a wilding clasp on it, if I change into a large size creature it won't work, because of the size difference. I know there is a +2 property that lets me do this, but I'm looking for something less expensive.

Thanks!

Crafty Cultist
2009-11-04, 07:39 PM
With the exeption of wepons, magic items adjust to the size of their wearer

Clementx
2009-11-04, 07:53 PM
With the exeption of wepons, magic items adjust to the size of their wearer
Incorrect. Only magic clothing and jewelry auto-sizes. Armor and weapons are sized. DMG p213. It even includes percentages for randomly determining size thereof on the same page (which is why you don't see sizes on other tables).

Thurbane
2009-11-04, 08:14 PM
I was going to suggest Polymorph Any Object, but it doesn't work on magic items. Unless there is an armor enchantment that allows sizing, I can't think of any way to do this.

herrhauptmann
2009-11-04, 08:35 PM
Permanent 'shrink item'? The spell doesn't require you to shrink it to 1/2000th of it's regular size, nor does it require you to turn it into a piece of cloth. It just allows you to do so.

Anyway, that's my suggestion, I'd allow it in a game. But it might not work by the rules
But yeah, jewelry and clothes resize themselves, weapons and armor do not (Part of why you have to pay extra to get a larger or much smaller version of something)

Darrin
2009-11-04, 11:57 PM
I was going to suggest Polymorph Any Object, but it doesn't work on magic items. Unless there is an armor enchantment that allows sizing, I can't think of any way to do this.

Armor spikes (50 GP) + Sizing property (MIC, +6000 GP) might work with a somewhat sympathetic DM.

There's a cantrip in Dragon #302 called "Resize" that allows you to permanently change clothing or armor's size up or down one size category, but it only works on non-magical items. However... I do believe this may be the secret to the Underpants Gnomes' vast profits...

lsfreak
2009-11-05, 01:41 AM
There's a cantrip in Dragon #302 called "Resize" that allows you to permanently change clothing or armor's size up or down one size category, but it only works on non-magical items. However... I do believe this may be the secret to the Underpants Gnomes' vast profits...

Dispel magic would make them non-magical for the duration, iirc, thereby allowing a resize.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-11-05, 01:53 AM
Dispel magic would make them non-magical for the duration, iirc, thereby allowing a resize.Why am I now picturing a Dwarf travelling through Ogre lands with a heavy-looking metal wagon, promising to turn all that gear, even the magical stuff from the adventurers they killed, into custom-fitted Ogrewear through ancient and secret techniques.

And he's not a smith at all, he's really a Bard with good Bluff.

FoE
2009-11-05, 02:15 AM
Oddly enough, there's a 4E ritual that lets you re-size an item. But that's of no help to you.

Random832
2009-11-05, 09:39 AM
Incorrect. Only magic clothing and jewelry auto-sizes. Armor and weapons are sized. DMG p213. It even includes percentages for randomly determining size thereof on the same page (which is why you don't see sizes on other tables).

Is this table somewhere in the SRD? I can't find it (what's its title?)

Necron
2009-11-05, 10:17 AM
It seems like you'd have to ad hoc some sort of ritual/spell necessary to resize armor (and/or weapons).

It really doesn't stretch the system too much to allow minor flexibility to gear that drops.

Perhaps it could be presented as an Artificier ability? So the party might need to stop by the local shop to have things re-sized?

I kinda like it. And will probably implement something similar to this for my games.

Curmudgeon
2009-11-05, 10:49 AM
Is this table somewhere in the SRD? I can't find it (what's its title?)
The information is here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicItemBasics.htm#sizeAndMagicItems). It's an exaggeration to say that most items "resize". Rather, you can manually adjust most items to make them fit. Cloaks, unlike fitted jackets, don't cause problems if they're too big; bigger ones will billow more and maybe drag on the ground instead of hanging to your knees. A magic pendant on a chain can dangle low or high depending on neck size. A Monk's Belt is a long piece of rope, and you wrap it around you more or fewer times, as needed. You wear small rings on your pinky fingers, and big ones on your thumbs. It's pretty rare that you'll actually need magical size adjustment.

Bayar
2009-11-05, 10:52 AM
For example if a group of adventurers is raiding a dungeon and they find a Medium size +3 Mythril Chainshirt and the only one in the party who could use it is small size, what do you do? Is there a way to change the size of the armor, maybe an enchantment similar to the weapon property sizing?

I remember the weapon sizing property, but I'm shooting blanks in regards to armor sizing property. You could of course homebrew it.

The other way is called "Give armor to artificier to drain it and make another one for the desired size".

herrhauptmann
2009-11-07, 03:40 AM
AD&D also offered suggestions for a percentile roll to make armor fit someone even if made for a different race.
Say you kill a dwarf and take his +3plate, the 7ft fighter would only have a 5% chance to fit into it, but the fighter who describes himself as short and husky would have a 10 or 15% chance to fit into it.
Reverse those numbers if the party next kills an ogre and want his armor.

Perhaps a similar mechanic would work in your game.

Darkfire
2009-11-07, 09:37 AM
Captured mundane Full Plate needs resized to fit its new owner anyway (see here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/armor.htm#fullPlate)) so you could ask your DM to allow the same process to actually change the size category of any armour.

Thurbane
2009-11-07, 05:30 PM
I had a homebrew item (http://www.angelfire.com/games/thurbanesdomain/items/rods.htm) for this back in 2E.

herrhauptmann
2009-11-07, 09:04 PM
Captured mundane Full Plate needs resized to fit its new owner anyway (see here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/armor.htm#fullPlate)) so you could ask your DM to allow the same process to actually change the size category of any armour.

If that's required for a human to fit into another human's full plate, then it should probably cost more, and take longer to allow a human to wear an ogres armor. And vice versa

ShadowsGrnEyes
2009-11-08, 12:35 AM
theres a cantrip in dragon magazine called resize. permenantly resizes somthing to fit somebody.