PDA

View Full Version : [3.5e] Eberron Cleric help

Wereling
2009-11-04, 07:44 PM
So, I'm going to be doing my first PbP in the Roleplaying board, and I've decided I want to play a Human Cleric of Onatar. I used a 32 point buy, and I've chosen to use the Metal and Artifice domains.

I wanted the flavor of a "maker of things", so I've been thinking about taking item creation feats. Are there any other ways you can think of to make that work thematically other than creation feats? Being a Cleric I don't have the feats or the XP pool to really go nuts with item creation, so I'm wondering if I might be better off replacing it with something else.

I'm NOT trying to min/max this guy. I didn't take DMM because although it's awesome, it's not really thematically appropriate. I may end up taking Persist later on, but that's a ways off (since I'm not using DMM there's really no reason to take it early).

I've put up a preliminary character sheet here: http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=164603

The equipment is temporary, and really anything on the sheet is negotiable so long as it's within the "servant of the maker" concept I have in mind.

Many thanks for any help you can provide.

Sir_Chivalry
2009-11-05, 12:56 AM
So, I'm going to be doing my first PbP in the Roleplaying board, and I've decided I want to play a Human Cleric of Onatar. I used a 32 point buy, and I've chosen to use the Metal and Artifice domains.

I wanted the flavor of a "maker of things", so I've been thinking about taking item creation feats. Are there any other ways you can think of to make that work thematically other than creation feats? Being a Cleric I don't have the feats or the XP pool to really go nuts with item creation, so I'm wondering if I might be better off replacing it with something else.

I'm NOT trying to min/max this guy. I didn't take DMM because although it's awesome, it's not really thematically appropriate. I may end up taking Persist later on, but that's a ways off (since I'm not using DMM there's really no reason to take it early).

I've put up a preliminary character sheet here: http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=164603

The equipment is temporary, and really anything on the sheet is negotiable so long as it's within the "servant of the maker" concept I have in mind.

Many thanks for any help you can provide.

You don't mind if I help do you? I see that you have changed the character over to a cleric of Fharlaghn. Hmmmm.

god of travel, so I'd gather you're character is not one to stay in one place for too long? I'd say Endurance (for those long walking periods), Run (for those short running periods), or perhaps Smatterings (Races of Destiny, completely useless feat that lets you learn new languages to ask simple stuff).

If you still want Onatar, first thing you need to do is take ranks in Craft. Secondly, you'll want the Apprentice feat, especially since you are 5th level and therefore get the really nice Mentor feat. (those feats don't work so much if you never let the dust settle on your boots.)

If you want a more general cleric of crafting, the Craft and Artifice domains form Deities and Demigods give you a total of +7 to the Craft skill (and some nice spells for creating stuff, as well as a +2 to caster level for conjuration (creation) spells.).

Djibriel
2009-11-05, 03:57 AM
Both Domain powers work regardless of your Cleric level. I'd say, take a level 1 (Cloistered) Cleric of Onatar, then proceed as an Artificer. Take Able Learner to keep advancing Cleric skill if you must.

Since you get free Weapon Focus with an exotic hammer, and a Cloistered Cleric nets you free Knowledge Devotion, I'd say a meleeficer is a good way to go. You automatically make all Divine UMD checks, so you can buff with Scrolls and Wands easily while wading into melee with your own piece of art dedicated to Onatar. I don't know what kind of awesome Exotic Hammers you can find, but it will be glorious.

This is a great servant of Onatar which seems to work out nicely on the crunch side. But it's not a Cleric. Keep in mind that he can act like a Cleric; spreading the word, knowing all about his religion, casting Divine spells. He just needs a Scroll around (which are not too hard for him to make).

Kol Korran
2009-11-05, 09:20 AM
the artificer idea is a good one, and i second that you don't have to be a cleric in order to act liek a priest. heck, most of Eberron's priests are experts or adepts at best!

if you do intend to stay a cleric why not take some sort of craft skill instead of the feats? this could be black smithing, wood working or whatever, just something general enough that will enable you to crate various things. you can even try to work on some sort of an invention (orwhatever) if your DM allows it. altenrnetavely, you could take knwoledge (engineering), making you more of an engineer than a hands-on-person. a different apsect of Onatar.

one more note: it might not be a bad idea to invest a feat in scribe scroll. this can be hugely helpfull for a cleric, and you can incorporate it into your background in many ways (especially if you're a cloistered cleric). the exp cost is not that great.

hope this helped,
Kol.

Requiem Star
2009-11-05, 09:36 AM
Or if you're human, take the mark of making...

... and say HELLLLOOOOO to messed up dragon house politics!