PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] What to play, what to play...

alchemyprime
2009-11-04, 10:08 PM
So a friend of mine wants to DM a (mostly) serious D&D campaign. My first idea, a blue mage (Nymphology kind) got shot down as too silly a theme.

He said I can play comic relief, and he will let me get any way to buy items I want down the road.

But I don't know what to play, Playground! I've been away from 3.5 for so long and I've only DMed for the last 5 years except for a few RPGA games!

So I want you guys to help me decide! Any Mongoose book, any Green Ronin race book and Advanced Bestiary, Dragon Compendium, any WotC book and all issues of Dragon are allowed!

GIVE ME YOUR IDEAS! WHAT SHALL I PLAY?

Gnorman
2009-11-04, 10:10 PM
Killer Gnome.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-11-04, 10:10 PM
Comic relief, you say?

Monk. Definitely monk.

alchemyprime
2009-11-04, 10:11 PM
Killer Gnome.

How do you mean, Killer Gnome?

Moose Fisher
2009-11-04, 10:11 PM
Half-Elf Samurai. Not the Oriental Adventures one, the Complete Warrior one.

Or, for extra fun, a Truenamer.

Nightmaremode: Don't take Skill Focus
Extra bonus: Convince the entire party to roll Truenamers.

:smallbiggrin:

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2009-11-04, 10:12 PM
Still say I, Dwarf Knight/Crusader. In my experience, that makes the best tank ever. AC 21 at level 1? Yes please!

Comedic factor: Remember Durkon's line in the first comic "I jes feel so... stable?"

You're like that. Except awesomer. You can actually just sit their and be hit. Awesome.

Logalmier
2009-11-04, 10:12 PM
cheese... cheese... cheese...

Create a wizard so broken it's funny, and have him turn the universe into a flower!

OR: Become a commoner and take the Chicken Infested feat.

Draken
2009-11-04, 10:13 PM
Gnome Dread Necromancer. Give him a small scythe, and a skeletal pony. No one will be sure if they should laugh, cower, or smite him for his sins.

arguskos
2009-11-04, 10:14 PM
A dvati anything. Why? Cause dvati are hilarious. :smallbiggrin:

Gnorman
2009-11-04, 10:14 PM
How do you mean, Killer Gnome?

Shadowcraft Mage. Gnome illusionist.

Nothing says comic relief to me like a three foot spinning murder top.

Mechanics-wise, you get to throw down extra-real shadow spells that can duplicate most Evocation and Conjuration spells. With the right feat set up, it can be hideously overpowered, but that's not the point.

The point is, you're a gnome. That's comic relief point number one. You're also an illusionist, which sets up all manner of pranks, mind-screwery, and dastardly potential. Point number three? You're a cute little bundle of destruction.

There's a handbook here (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=5638.0) if you feel like reading up on some of the possibilities.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-11-05, 12:16 AM
I prefer LogicNinja's melee Killer Gnome. You find a way of shrinking further(permanencied Reduce Person or similar), then take all the feats that boost fighting people 2 size categories bigger than you. You can get really good with that.

Other humor options: Crazy Ed, the Artificer Salesman. Watch used car commercials for RP inspiration.
Any small race without a Str penalty, wielding a Greathorn Minotaur Greathammer and built as an Ubercharger.
LG Sorcerer/Wilder/Warlock with purely offensive abilities and no control over them. He apologizes profusely whenever someone scares him enough that he accidentally blasts them with raw negative energy.
Celestial Monkey Rogue(requires houseruling but should only be +0 or +1 LA). He got tired of being summoned to get poisoned/stabbed/blown up, so he came to the material to disarm traps properly.
Any Bard.

Mushroom Ninja
2009-11-05, 12:17 AM
Petal Dread Necromancer. Fear the tiny lich!

Tavar
2009-11-05, 12:23 AM
Unarmed Swordsage/Kensai. Now, the standard is to enchant your fists with throwing, returning, and flaming for rocket punches, but that's lame. Real men use Throwing, returning, and Impact on their head, with bonus points if they use a hat of disguise to make it a pumpkin.

Mushroom Ninja
2009-11-05, 12:25 AM
Unarmed Swordsage/Kensai. Now, the standard is to enchant your fists with throwing, returning, and flaming for rocket punches, but that's lame. Real men use Throwing, returning, and Impact on their head, with bonus points if they use a hat of disguise to make it a pumpkin.

Real Dorfs use Throwing, returning, and Impact on their Beards!

Tavar
2009-11-05, 12:32 AM
If y it's your beard, you might as well go with flaming...

Oh, some other fun ones: Metalline, morphing, and Sizing.

starwoof
2009-11-05, 12:35 AM
Advanced Bestiary

:D

Transforming warforged!
Amalgam ANYTHING.
Manimal Turtle! Cowabunga dude!
Swarm of Fine Gnomes!

Mushroom Ninja
2009-11-05, 12:37 AM
If y it's your beard, you might as well go with flaming...

Oh, some other fun ones: Metalline, morphing, and Sizing.

Brillaint energy, Dancing :smalleek:...

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-11-05, 12:39 AM
Half-Elf Samurai. Not the Oriental Adventures one, the Complete Warrior one.

:smallbiggrin:

See my sig for CW Samurai being effective... which, incidentally, is against Fistbeard Beardfist, the dwarven monk.

Ya want something funny? Here ya go:

Pixie Warlock. Uber high pitched voice. With a KHAMAYAMAYA when he gets upset for OMGWTFPWN damage. For further halarity, use Hellfire Warlock/Binder/Legacy Champion for more amusement value as the damage skyrockets, all from a pint-sized winged creature smaller than the diameter of his eldritch blast.

Oh, just for extra amusement value: Eldritch Glaive. A two-foot pixie cleaving someone in half with a 10' polearm of pure energy...

streakster
2009-11-05, 12:44 AM
Pixie Warlock. The gold standard for sheer hilariousness.

You are an invisible, cute little fairy who can call forth the wrath of hell to shoot little laser beams at your foe. You can break things at will. You can turn into a giant spider. You can send your eye flying around out of your head, and send your hand crawling off too. You can teleport and leave illusionary doubles behind you. You can call forth insects. You are impossible to effectively target.

So. Much. Fun.

EDIT: Umm, great minds and all that?:smallbiggrin:

Thurbane
2009-11-05, 12:59 AM
A Crucian Ninja called Donatello?

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/mhbk_gallery/76979_CN.jpg

Haberdashery
2009-11-05, 02:40 AM
Go for a commoner/monk/bard/warblade/drunken master/bloodstorm blade. With the Chicken Infested flaw and Dragonfire Inspiration. Don't give me that look! I'm not crazy! You can throw flaming chickens at people!

Superglucose
2009-11-05, 02:51 AM
So to make fun of a GM I once had, my friend and I have promised that our next characters are going to be archery-focused druids. Our wisdom will be 9. We will utterly dominate his encounters through a combination of animal companion front line fighters and generally being smarter than him.

It will be glorious.

JellyPooga
2009-11-05, 02:52 AM
Killer Gnome.

Thriller Gnome

It's close to midnight and something evil's lurking in the dark...

Necropolitan Gnome Bard who wears red leather armour.

Ravens_cry
2009-11-05, 03:33 AM
Thriller Gnome

It's close to midnight and something evil's lurking in the dark...

Necropolitan Gnome Bard who wears red leather armour.
And one gauntlet.

arguskos
2009-11-05, 03:36 AM
And one gauntlet.
And a Hat of Disguise. :smallamused:

And no, it's not too early.

Ecalsneerg
2009-11-05, 04:25 AM

Thread won.

BooNL
2009-11-05, 05:06 AM
A Vow of Peace sorcerer who picks nothing but evocation spells.

What? Blowing up a tree to fall on top of a bad guy's head deals non-lethal damage, right? :smallbiggrin:

Kol Korran
2009-11-05, 09:07 AM
um, i'll try for a slightly more serious proposal, that has quite a bit of emusing potential. it's not great but still i think it can work:
Changling bard. (or can you go for a phasm?)
reasons:
- as a changling you can appear as any kind of humanoid. this means your team mates (when you want to undertake some shenanigens they may, or may not, appreciate). your enemies (to mock and ridicule them, or to act on their behalfs in way they wouldn't imagine). and other NPCs (for various intentions). you get great versatility, which is importent for every comedy. if you can play a Phasm (MM1) then even better- you can turn into not just humanoids, but everything that's up to large, even non living things.
- why bard? for several reasons. first- no one will expect you to take central "hero" spotlight, and you'll be free to act as support and comic relief. secondly- the bard gives you great conversational skills, which are essential to succeeding as a good comic relief. and the performaning skill can really be a gem for various jokes/ acts. as an inspiration you can look at Elan, though you don't have to play it as dumb.

hope this helped, please tell if it did.

Blackfang108
2009-11-05, 09:23 AM

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/mhbk_gallery/76979_CN.jpg

Where are those from? Me Want!

EDIT: Arguskos, It was NEVER too early.

alchemyprime
2009-11-05, 11:28 AM
Hrm...

So far I'm liking the following ideas.

1. Gnome Dread Necromancer. I should mention that we're starting at level 1, or else I'd go with tthe necropolitan gnome bard (though personally, I think werewolf would be more appropriate to go with the video... the eyes were all yellowy at the end.)

2. Gnome Shadowcraft Mage. This has some abuse potential, which I enjoy, and some fun for playing.

3. Gnome Binder. It sounded fun.

4. Changeling Bard. I like being the face of the party, and this seems like it'd be right up that alley.

5. LG Warlock. He is allowing me to take any of the six invoker classes I have, which include

The Warlock from CArc
The Natural, a warlock with elemental and fey themes. Can be any neutral.
The Gifted, a celestial themed warlock. Must be lawful or good.
The Weird, an abberant themed warlock. Can be any alignment, but never gets Eldritch Blast.
The Alchemist, a matter and energy themed walrock. Gets Shape Matter (general shape wood) instead of Eldritch Blast.
Dragonfire Adept rom Dragon Magic

He did like my warforged ideas, such as Driftwood (a CN warlock refluffed to be water themed. Eldritch blasts looking like black water, barnacles on him that spit when he uses his invocations, etc. Very funny yet very creepy.) or Pewter of Parkwood (warforged dragon shaman [copper] who hunts giants).

So:

Races, I'm leaning to gnome, warforged or changeling.

Classwise, I'd like a magical class that's not just a wizard or a sorcerer.

Still trying to get the sexxy mage idea to work. :smallamused:

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-11-05, 12:02 PM
Still trying to get the sexxy mage idea to work. :smallamused:Which sexxy mage idea? Because we ccan find cool ones of those for you.

alchemyprime
2009-11-05, 01:28 PM
My original pitch to the DM was I would play a changeling wizard, specialized in blue magic.

Not the Final Fantasy kind, the Nymphology/BoEF/NoUCK type. Hehehe... :smallamused: So yeah, I tried to pitch the sort of mage that has very dirty, perverted spells. Like a logical expansion upon Tasha's Hideous Laughter...

Anonymouswizard
2009-11-05, 02:45 PM
If you want the down right insane: bearded dwarven female pacifist monk! Also, give the beard levels in ninga, so that you can be in comunities without drawing attention.

Or, female half-elf Wu Jen! Or maybe gnome warlock with only death themed spells, and a riding dog. Or, same but with human, and a white horse. Both disguise their faces as skulls, and both the mounts are called binky.

Gametime
2009-11-05, 02:58 PM
Pixie warlock is pretty funny...but for sheer comic value, you can't go wrong with the World's Smallest Giant (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109065).

Gnorman
2009-11-05, 05:09 PM
Classwise, I'd like a magical class that's not just a wizard or a sorcerer.

Still trying to get the sexxy mage idea to work. :smallamused:

You want a dirty, lecherous, oddly-seductive Gnome Beguiler. You still get a good complement of enchantment and illusion spells (great for... ahem... charming new companions and creating "inappropriate moving images"). You have tons of skill points, so you can easily concentrate in party face skills. You're all kinds of sneaky, so if you want to creep around peering into hotel windows or into changing rooms, you can easily do it. Pick up a level of Mindbender and awe all the peasant girls with your telepathy and mind-reading skills.

So you might not be able to use the Blue Mage itself, but perhaps you can pick up some Nymphology spells as Advanced Learning picks.

Changeling Beguiler would be a good idea too, but you lose some of the allure of being three foot Casanova. Of course, you could just change into one if that bothers you enough.

deuxhero
2009-11-05, 05:15 PM
See if your DM will allow Blue Mage (http://web.archive.org/web/20070221040337/http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=137596).

Heliomance
2009-11-05, 05:15 PM
This. (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=3692.0) That is all. You can hit orcs with elves - what else do you want?

/shameless self plug

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-11-05, 05:16 PM
Necropolitan Changeling Dread Necromancer. You have a small contingent of undead bodyguards travel with you, and the remainder are stationed at various inns in towns to gather cash for you. And since you never need to worry about disease, food, pregnancy, or actual sleep, it should be pretty profitable. Just make sure you have enough ranks in disguise to pull it off. You may need to create and Rebuke intelligent undead to watch your various inns, too, just in case.

alchemyprime
2009-11-05, 07:30 PM
Necropolitan Changeling Dread Necromancer. You have a small contingent of undead bodyguards travel with you, and the remainder are stationed at various inns in towns to gather cash for you. And since you never need to worry about disease, food, pregnancy, or actual sleep, it should be pretty profitable. Just make sure you have enough ranks in disguise to pull it off. You may need to create and Rebuke intelligent undead to watch your various inns, too, just in case.

I may keep this idea for another date, but I talked to the DM earlier today. Blue mage is still out, he has taken another path than me to figure out how to keep the 5 minute workday away (I use a variant on recharge magic/reserve points, he's using milestones) and has admitted that this will be mainly a dungeon crawl until at least 5th level. So I like this idea, but it wouldn't work for this campaign I'm afraid.

Starbuck_II
2009-11-05, 07:56 PM
So a friend of mine wants to DM a (mostly) serious D&D campaign. My first idea, a blue mage (Nymphology kind) got shot down as too silly a theme.

GIVE ME YOUR IDEAS! WHAT SHALL I PLAY?

An Eyekin with their Beholder Prc. Say stuff like the "Eyes of Doom are here", "Beauty is in my eyes.", etc.

deuxhero
2009-11-05, 08:15 PM
Blue mage is still out

The Blue Mage I linked to was entirely unrelated to the one you planed on using.

Kiren
2009-11-05, 08:18 PM
Go for stereotypical gnome, red pointy hat, illusionist. Have fun with the illusions.

alchemyprime
2009-11-05, 08:18 PM
The Blue Mage I linked to was entirely unrelated to the one you planed on using.

Yes, I saw that. It looked fun, but the mechanics were a little off for me. I may save it for a future character concept though, thanks.

Now... how did you get an old boards1.wizards.com link to work like that? I have an old thread on the old WotC boards I'm trying to get ahold of...

Dr Bwaa
2009-11-05, 08:25 PM
If you're allowed to use Mongoose, I absolutely say Chaos Mage. It is completely gol'darn insane, provides plenty of comic relief (so long as you're happy to roleplay), and is overall a really fun class. I DEFINITELY suggest asking your DM to houserule a different DC for Concentration while casting Chaos spells (the listed DC is "just use the Casting Check DC in place of the spell level," and everywhere in the book, +1 spell level is equivalent to +5 to +10 Casting Check. OW.). If he may think it's overpowered, there's no shame in multiclassing for fun once you take your first step on one of the Paths of Chaos (so it can be thematically appropriate) (my halfling chaos mage started down the Path of Bloody Rage*, so he's now half-and-half chaos mage/barbarian :smallbiggrin:).

*Paths of Chaos: I absolutely suggest picking one manually (with the DM) instead of rolling for it, because a couple of them *coughpathofbloodyragecough* really suck (there just isn't much you can do to roleplay the new step along the path for some of them, which is at least half the fun of playing the class).

alchemyprime
2009-11-05, 08:35 PM
If you're allowed to use Mongoose, I absolutely say Chaos Mage. It is completely gol'darn insane, provides plenty of comic relief (so long as you're happy to roleplay), and is overall a really fun class. I DEFINITELY suggest asking your DM to houserule a different DC for Concentration while casting Chaos spells (the listed DC is "just use the Casting Check DC in place of the spell level," and everywhere in the book, +1 spell level is equivalent to +5 to +10 Casting Check. OW.). If he may think it's overpowered, there's no shame in multiclassing for fun once you take your first step on one of the Paths of Chaos (so it can be thematically appropriate) (my halfling chaos mage started down the Path of Bloody Rage*, so he's now half-and-half chaos mage/barbarian :smallbiggrin:).

*Paths of Chaos: I absolutely suggest picking one manually (with the DM) instead of rolling for it, because a couple of them *coughpathofbloodyragecough* really suck (there just isn't much you can do to roleplay the new step along the path for some of them, which is at least half the fun of playing the class).

I'm starting to think I may not have this mongoose book. Where is this class?

Grumman
2009-11-05, 08:37 PM
I'm starting to think I may not have this mongoose book. Where is this class?
It's in its own book. I think it's called "Chaos Magic".

Dr Bwaa
2009-11-05, 08:47 PM
It's in its own book. I think it's called "Chaos Magic".

Indeed. moretextmoretextmoretext!

deuxhero
2009-11-05, 09:41 PM
Now... how did you get an old boards1.wizards.com link to work like that? I have an old thread on the old WotC boards I'm trying to get ahold of...

Look closely at the URL (it's from http://www.archive.org).