PDA

View Full Version : Need help building a Gestalt Binder build...

JKTrickster
2009-11-04, 10:14 PM
Hi! I've never tried out the Binder before, but was always interested. So at the first opportunity, I decided to go apply Binder in a Gestalt game (level 1, so its not too different).

What class would be best paired up with the Binder? For reference, my stats rolled are : 12, 14, 10, 10, 10, 18. So I need a class that synergies pretty exactly with the Binder class, since I don't have the stats to go around.

Gnorman
2009-11-04, 10:28 PM
Sorcerer? If you go for passive abilities with your vestiges, you could end up with a surprisingly durable battle sorcerer. Plus, the various spell-likes and abilities could shore up your limited spell repertoire.

alchemyprime
2009-11-04, 10:51 PM
In my experience, Warlock. The invocations, the vestiges, so much at will and every 5 rounds based power... you're like a wizard with stamina!

Alternatively, warblade. Always warblade.

jeek
2009-11-05, 03:48 PM
on the other side, go Factotum 1/Incarnate 4/Chameleon 10/Incarnate +5.

Be a new man every day.

Boci
2009-11-05, 03:49 PM
With those states you'd want 18 charisma, 14 con and them maybe 12 dex. So yeah, sorceror is definatly one of the best choices. Maybe warlock.

avr
2009-11-05, 04:01 PM
If you put the 18 in CHA, 14 in CON then your main problems are lacking skill points and a lack of good attacks. Wilder gets you just enough skill points to qualify for tricky vestiges and has really good attacks, Bard gives you better skills and lets you concentrate on stuff other than attacks.

Wings of Peace
2009-11-05, 04:09 PM
What power level, starting level, and role are you trying to optimize for? In my experience medium to lower power let you do funner things with the build in that you don't have to just spec one aspect to caster.

Kobold-Bard
2009-11-05, 04:24 PM
In my experience, Warlock. The invocations, the vestiges, so much at will and every 5 rounds based power... you're like a wizard with stamina!

Alternatively, warblade. Always warblade.

Ninja'd by a significant amount. Unlimited Eldritch Blast and assorted Invocations make up for the fact that a lot of Binder abilities a 1/5 rounds meaning often you're just standing around waiting, especially at low levels.

Plus Warlock is just plain cool.

Alternatively Sorcerer if you want a proper casting class, or maybe Paladin; Cha to Saves, better proficiencies and d10 Hit Dice would make a good Melee focused Binder.

Binder is a damn cool class in Gestalt because it's main weakness is the lack of stuff to do while abilities recharge.

JKTrickster
2009-11-05, 06:10 PM
Hmm....I think I'll go with a Binder//Warlock. The flavor combo is great and I can't wait to fully write him out.

As for the power level, etc. it's all in my OP (wasn't even edited in....)

Any advice for me to look out for? (traps, feats to take, feats to NOT take, etc.) I'm new to BOTH of these classes; I don't want to optimize per se, but definetly want to be able to pull my own weight and not be sub par to others.

Fax Celestis
2009-11-05, 06:15 PM
Alternatively, replace Warlock with Dragonfire Adept (Dragon Magic). Pretty much the same thing, but you get a breath weapon instead of eldritch blast and some slightly different invocations.

Added benefit: you can use the dragon-only vestige (Ashardalon) from Dragon Magic who gives a bonus to Appraise and Search checks, ability to use locate object, ability to use fear, temporary hit points, damage reduction, and fire resistance.

avr
2009-11-05, 06:52 PM
Ignore Special Requirements or something similar is a feat which allows the Binder to ignore some of the more annoying requirements of binding certain vestiges. You lose a little flavour but it saves so much hassle.

How long do you think the game is likely to last? PrCs etc won't matter if the game is likely to peter out at level 6.

Kobold-Bard
2009-11-05, 06:56 PM
Ignore Special Requirements or something similar is a feat which allows the Binder to ignore some of the more annoying requirements of binding certain vestiges. You lose a little flavour but it saves so much hassle.

How long do you think the game is likely to last? PrCs etc won't matter if the game is likely to peter out at level 6.

It also allows you to bind conflicting Vestiges, which can be useful.

If you plan to go into Knight of the Sacred Seal PrC remember that you'll need Weapon Focus in a weapon you are proficient with (namely a Simple Weapon that you'll never use again if you take the PrC because it gives you Martial weapons). If you're using Flaws try and get it with one to prevent wasting one of your real Feats. Or go Elf and take it with Longsword.

JKTrickster
2009-11-05, 09:32 PM
Hmm...convincing argument. But its pretty hard to compete with the flavor of a Binder//Warlock. I mean, seriously it sounds pretty awesome.

Build-wise, if I wanted to more of a ranged combatant, how should I develop? Also, I'm not sure how long the campaign is. It could be entirely true that I'll finish at level 6.

Eloel
2009-11-06, 01:59 AM
Hmm...convincing argument. But its pretty hard to compete with the flavor of a Binder//Warlock. I mean, seriously it sounds pretty awesome.

Build-wise, if I wanted to more of a ranged combatant, how should I develop? Also, I'm not sure how long the campaign is. It could be entirely true that I'll finish at level 6.

If you'll go to 10-ish levels, Warlock/Hellfire Warlock/Legacy Champion//Binder for the BOOM! effect on your Eldritch Hellfire Blasts

Kobold-Bard
2009-11-06, 02:59 AM

Ooh i just remembered you can take Weapon Focus for Eldritch Blast and ignore my previous post. Also Weapon Focus/Specialization/Improved Crit for your EB is a good idea anyway, you'll use it for pretty much everything. Also Battle Caster will let you EB in Medium Armur (which I believe Binder's are proficient in), so hello Mithral Full-Plate, goodbye exposed weakpoints.

Invocations: Eldritch Spear is cool at low levels because it keeps you a looong way away from enemies.

Also if you make it that far, you have the perfect excuse to Bind Nabreus(?) to mitigate Hellfire Warlock Con damage, without having to convince your DM to let you dip into Binder.

Kyrthain
2009-11-06, 07:27 AM
I recommend taking improved binding. Everyone loves having 2nd level vestiges at 1st level!

Thurbane
2009-11-06, 05:28 PM
Ranger: good BAB, 6 skills points, good REF save.

(IMHO, the Binder should really have been given 4 skill points/level.)

Zaq
2009-11-06, 05:32 PM
Go Binder//Incarnate. Reinvent yourself every day.