PDA

View Full Version : Yet more tech-help!

Anuan
2009-11-05, 12:25 AM
:smallsigh:
So. In general my laptop's pretty damn awesome. One problem at the moment, however;
When I shut the laptop, it goes into Sleep or Hibernate or whichever it is. This is a good thing and is regular. However, recently, should I close it while it's plugged into its charger, it doesn't start up again when I open it. Has power etc, power light is on, battery light is on, nothing starts up. The screen stays blank. I almost feel like everything is running and the screen just goes blan, but the computer's turn-on noises stop.
The same happens should I shut down my computer, start it up again and leave the cord in, or plug the cord in too soon after starting up. I need to start up, log in and wait a few minutes before plugging in, or everything goes blank.
Halp? ;-;

Elves-as-People
2009-11-05, 11:59 AM
Simple fixes that might work:
Have you tried tapping the spacebar, or the power button?

bluewind95
2009-11-05, 12:39 PM
I generally attack the escape key when that happens to me. Are you leaving it sleeping too long? It may be set to turn off the screen and other things after a long time and, well, if you left it alone long enough... it's on, just kind of in standby.

Anuan
2009-11-05, 06:37 PM
Yes, I've tried simple solutions like clicking keys. INcluding the power button.

And no, I'm not leaving it sleep for too long. Well, I used to, but more often than not now I shut it down for the night. Like I say, if I turn the laptop off and then plug the cord in too soon after starting up, it does this. =/

Jack Squat
2009-11-05, 06:50 PM
What laptop do you have? What's it running?

My Dell that's running Vista Ultimate will do this occasionally...I really think it's just yelling at me for putting into hibernate too often.

Anuan
2009-11-05, 07:35 PM
Believe it or not, Dell, Vista...Could be ultimate, but I think Home?
You wouldnt happen to have an Inspiron 1520 would you? >.>

If that's the reason, what should I do with it? Shut it down for a few days with the power unplugged?

Jack Squat
2009-11-05, 08:03 PM
Believe it or not, Dell, Vista...Could be ultimate, but I think Home?
You wouldnt happen to have an Inspiron 1520 would you? >.>

I actually have a 6400...which IIRC is just the business version of either the 1520 or the E1505. It was $200 cheaper, hence why I got it.

...I think we can blame Dell on this one :smalltongue:

I haven't had it happen near as much after I started actually shutting down my computer a couple times a week. I'm about to upgrade to 7 (as in, I'm just about to load the disk into the tray) and I'll see if that fixes it as well.

Quincunx
2009-11-05, 08:07 PM
An Inspiron which doesn't awaken out of hibernation--now there's something familiar. I just wouldn't hibernate it unless my hand twitched while shutting it down, and that only until my husband removed sleep mode from the menu entirely. (Wise move.) Said laptop has now cooked something vital so I have no magic solutions.

Anuan
2009-11-05, 08:23 PM
Well here's the thing, it usually does awaken out of both hibernation and sleep, but not if it's plugged in, and if I plug it in too soon after awakening it or turning it on, it does the black-out thing. I don't think it's actual hibernation or sleep, as these make the power symbol light dull and fade in and out, wheras this stays bright but makes no other sign of life.

Jack Squat
2009-11-05, 08:29 PM
Yeah, that's what mine does/did, though I can't remember if it was mostly when I plugged it up or not.

Like I mentioned, doing a full shutdown every now and then helps with it...alternatively, I suppose you could pull it out of sleep/hibernation and then plug it in.

Anuan
2009-11-05, 08:39 PM
Well, that's what I've been doing >.> It's slightly annoying though and I'd like for it to stop doing that :smallannoyed: