PDA

View Full Version : 4E - What does the [W] mean in powers?

Ignatius
2009-11-05, 07:09 AM
Hey... I just got the 4E books and keep seeing 1[W], 2[W], 3[W] etc in the power listings for the classes and cant find anywhere in the books where it explains what it is?

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Burley
2009-11-05, 07:14 AM
Yeah. At the beginning of the "Classes" chapter, there is a "How to Read Powers" section. Read all that. Twice.

Within that you will learn that [W] is your weapon's damage dice. Short sword would be a d6 and a great axe is a d12.

Mr. Mud
2009-11-05, 07:15 AM
Yeah. For a new player, that is definitely the most important chapter.

bosssmiley
2009-11-05, 07:16 AM
n[W] is the amount base weapon damage is multiplied by. I think it's explained in the keyword section of the Powers chapter.

edit: Ninja'ed, of course. :smallbiggrin:

Ignatius
2009-11-05, 07:25 AM
Hey... thanks for all the quick replies...

I get how it works now, but still cant find where it explains it in the manual... I am going to be DMing for a party of five and none of them have played 4E before so I gotta be able to show them the rules in the book before they believe me!

I will keep looking, but any more hints as to where it is explained, that would be great!

JB

lesser_minion
2009-11-05, 07:39 AM
You should be looking in the Player's Handbook 1.

Among other things, it explains most of the power keywords, what they mean, what the different damage types are and so on.

When you find it, I'd suggest printing out a list of power keywords, because I remember there being a lot.

Blackfang108
2009-11-05, 09:20 AM
You should be looking in the Player's Handbook 1.

Among other things, it explains most of the power keywords, what they mean, what the different damage types are and so on.

When you find it, I'd suggest printing out a list of power keywords, because I remember there being a lot.

Seconded.

Read the combat rules in the PHB. At LEAST twice.

Also, if you find a copy of the DM Screen: PICK IT UP. It's the handiest Quick Reference Guide ever. It's got more information than most PC game manuals I have.

Dragonmuncher
2009-11-05, 09:29 AM
Hey... thanks for all the quick replies...

I get how it works now, but still cant find where it explains it in the manual... I am going to be DMing for a party of five and none of them have played 4E before so I gotta be able to show them the rules in the book before they believe me!

I will keep looking, but any more hints as to where it is explained, that would be great!

JB

If they're all new to 4e, you might want to look into printing out those power cards- I've heard they can be useful.

Guinea Anubis
2009-11-05, 11:20 AM
I have a question that does not really need its own thread but is kind of like the [W] question.

When playing a Druid and you are shape changed and get to make a basic melee attack how much damage do you get to roll since when your in wild shape you do not use weapon damage.

Kylarra
2009-11-05, 11:43 AM
I have a question that does not really need its own thread but is kind of like the [W] question.

When playing a Druid and you are shape changed and get to make a basic melee attack how much damage do you get to roll since when your in wild shape you do not use weapon damage.You have one or more at-will powers that can be used as a melee basic attack. You have to use those, since the melee basic attack power lacks the beast keyword. Most if not all are 1D8+wis.

Tiki Snakes
2009-11-05, 11:48 AM

When playing a Druid and you are shape changed and get to make a basic melee attack how much damage do you get to roll since when your in wild shape you do not use weapon damage.

If the power has the Beast-form Keyword thingy, it will almost certainly have it's damage listed as Specific Dice. (d8's, often).
When in Beast form, you Cannot use powers that don't have the keyword. (Including your basic melee attack. Note- A couple of the druid at-wills COUNT as a basic melee attack in beast form for exactly this reason.)

Guinea Anubis
2009-11-05, 12:08 PM
If the power has the Beast-form Keyword thingy, it will almost certainly have it's damage listed as Specific Dice. (d8's, often).
When in Beast form, you Cannot use powers that don't have the keyword. (Including your basic melee attack. Note- A couple of the druid at-wills COUNT as a basic melee attack in beast form for exactly this reason.)

Yep thats what I thought, I do have one but it only counts as a basic attack when you charge

Kylarra
2009-11-05, 12:13 PM
Yep thats what I thought, I do have one but it only counts as a basic attack when you chargeYou should really switch out Pounce for Savage Rend/Grasping Claws, if for no other reason than you can OA with the latter, and else you can't.

Yakk
2009-11-05, 03:18 PM
Grasping Claws is good, because if something provokes an OA by moving by you, you slow it. Useful to prevent opponents from fleeing.

The Standard Druid Tactics (tm) is to stay a bit less than 1 move (not 1 square, 1 move) away from the fight in human form, shift, run in, attack with a beast power. Next turn, leave beast form (getting a free shift 1), maybe back up (full move), then use a human-form ranged power.

This places you in combat range every 2nd round or so (and you have the HP/AC to be able to do this), or more often if you aren't being attacked. You'll be hit a bit, but this is a good thing, as it lets you use up your healing surges and HP to soak enemy damage (plus you avoid provoking with your free shifts).

KillianHawkeye
2009-11-05, 08:47 PM

This is detailed on page 276 of the Player's Handbook, near the top of the second column. This is the "Attack Results" section of the combat chapter.

Ignatius
2009-11-05, 08:54 PM
Thank you KillianHawkeye... I hadnt got that far along yet in the PHB I had started looking at the attack types but hadnt got that far along!

Mr. Mud
2009-11-05, 08:56 PM
Hindsight, Chapters 2 and 9 are really what make up the game (in the beginning, anyway). Make sure you thoroughly grasp both, before you proceed :smallbiggrin:. (Chapter 2 starts on 12, and Chapter 9 on 264)

Zeta Kai
2009-11-05, 08:57 PM
BTW, is it just me, or is 4E written in far more code than necessary? It just seems like the rulebooks are written in such a fashion as to be nearly impenetrable to the first-time reader, requiring the memorization of dozens of abbreviations, symbols, & other jargon to be understood in even the most basic fashion. I know that RPGs in general & D&D specifically has always been a little guilty of this, but it feels like 4E took this practice & cranked it to 11.

Gralamin
2009-11-05, 09:03 PM
BTW, is it just me, or is 4E written in far more code than necessary? It just seems like the rulebooks are written in such a fashion as to be nearly impenetrable to the first-time reader, requiring the memorization of dozens of abbreviations, symbols, & other jargon to be understood in even the most basic fashion. I know that RPGs in general & D&D specifically has always been a little guilty of this, but it feels like 4E took this practice & cranked it to 11.

I didn't find it so. But then again I'm a programmer. If I'm not learning at least five dozen pieces of jargon each time I look at something new, I don't notice.

Thajocoth
2009-11-05, 10:41 PM

It's written specifically to avoid discrepancies. While very specific, it IS a bit repetitive, and you can summarize almost anything without losing any information. This fact does make it a bit heavy to plow through. It's not as bad as legal documents at least.