PDA

View Full Version : OOTS #688 - The Discussion Thread

Pages : [1] 2

The Giant
2009-11-05, 07:36 AM
New comic is up.

Sorry for the delays, it's been a tough week.

KIDS
2009-11-05, 07:40 AM
Whether it was a Dune reference or not, it is an awesome turn of events!

Eldan
2009-11-05, 07:42 AM
Of course it's a Dune reference. He's even got the blue eyes.

Winthur
2009-11-05, 07:43 AM
Worms? Spice? Desert?

Very clever. :smallbiggrin:

snoopy13a
2009-11-05, 07:44 AM
"'Safe' is for NPCs. I live on the edge" :smallbiggrin:

Aerysil
2009-11-05, 07:44 AM
Yay, Purple Worm!

I predict a few swallow wholes and hole-closing muscular action.

Totally Guy
2009-11-05, 07:46 AM
What kind of spice was that?

sam79
2009-11-05, 07:46 AM
Ok, so is this the end of the line for Belkar?

I've not seen or read Dune, so I guess some of the stuff in this strip is lost on me.

WWBelkarD
2009-11-05, 07:47 AM
Wow, I didn't see that one coming.

I love Mr. Scruffy's reaction.

i6uuaq
2009-11-05, 07:47 AM
!!!!

I wonder if this ties into the main plot somehow. Is this how they all gain some levels on Xykon?

Prince Gimli
2009-11-05, 07:48 AM
I love the Dune reference, as well as the depiction of Belkar. " "Safe" is for NPC's, I live on the edge"". Simply brilliant :smallbiggrin:

Good to see you are back, Giant :smallsmile:

Crod
2009-11-05, 07:49 AM
Great Dune reference! :smallbiggrin: I'm a great fan of Frank Herberts work. I picked it up on the second frame but thought.. Naaaah...

SPoD
2009-11-05, 07:51 AM
Great Dune reference! :smallbiggrin: I'm a great fan of Frank Herberts work. I picked it up on the second frame but thought.. Naaaah...

I'm surprised you didn't pick it up from the title, which seems to also be a play on the recent OOTS withdrawal symptoms on display around here.

Assassin89
2009-11-05, 07:52 AM
Typical Durkon, often trying to get drunk after something unbelievable, and even if it is believable.

I wonder if that spice will lead to Belkar's death, as an addiction could cause him to seek more, even if it is 500ft down a cliff.

Crod
The spice must flow... Didn't get the title until now.

TengYt
Dune reference ftw.

dish
2009-11-05, 07:53 AM
The image of drowning a purple worm in a giant bottle of tequila is an arresting one.

Jackel
2009-11-05, 07:54 AM
But without delays, the title wouldn't work so beautifully :smallbiggrin:

Bayar
2009-11-05, 07:54 AM
Totally wasnt expecting that.

Crod
2009-11-05, 07:55 AM
I'm surprised you didn't pick it up from the title, which seems to also be a play on the recent OOTS withdrawal symptoms on display around here.

Yeah, the "What's that smell" should also have tipped it off.

Trixie
2009-11-05, 07:57 AM
Does that mean that Belkar's mental stats just doubled? :smallamused:

And yeah, Elan could use some extra INT points :smallamused:

Also - Belkar - awesome as always :smalltongue:

Durkon - bland, boring as ever.

Marcsin
2009-11-05, 07:58 AM
Oh no! that means Belkar is the Kwisatz halfling'ach!

Nameless
2009-11-05, 07:59 AM
So, I Interviewed the Belkar’s kitty friend about the recent events . Here’s what he had to say:

http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2007/01/spicekitty.jpg

Yes.

Shale
2009-11-05, 08:00 AM
Somebody was walking with rhythm.

Fred Fumblrol
2009-11-05, 08:00 AM
The image of drowning a purple worm in a giant bottle of tequila is an arresting one.

The tequila of life!

Neon Knight
2009-11-05, 08:01 AM
We have wormsign the likes of which even God has never seen.

Trixie
2009-11-05, 08:01 AM
By the way - what does 'on toast' comment mean? :smallconfused:

thubby
2009-11-05, 08:02 AM
why in the 9 hells would a merchant in the desert have such a product, and why would he give it as a gift to someone?

King of Nowhere
2009-11-05, 08:02 AM
Didn't get the Dune reference until I realized Belkar's got blue eyes. Crap, if that stuff really is melange...
First, if it is melange probably that can Belkar got is worth more or less like the whole rest of his level appropriate gear...

Second, the spice gives some sort of foretelling power, as well as some other enhancements I don't really remember. I wonder what Belkar will get.

Mauve Shirt
2009-11-05, 08:04 AM
Somebody was walking with rhythm.

Exactly what I was thinking. :smallbiggrin:

Nimrod's Son
2009-11-05, 08:04 AM
I love the way that Rich has cat behaviour down to a tee. Mr Scruffy's halfway to the coast before anyone else has finished gawking.

Jagos
2009-11-05, 08:06 AM
Durkon gets a moment!

*sniff* He's growing up. :)

Omergideon
Hmmm.

Well this is probably the earliest I have ever seen a comic after it has been posted. So yay me. But ignoring that shameless stupis plug I must admit to being somewhat overwhelmed. This is a clever comis, with nice subtle references, but overall not that great. So on to the review.

The Good:
1) Whatever happens the design and artwork is always top notch. Even down to the consistency of the splatters on Belkar's mouth. The sandworm as well is quite perfectly designed and looks damned impressive. The perspective as well works. There is a real sense of size to it. Oddly enough too the sky is somewhat darkened compared to previous strips, giving a sense of time passing etc. So yes the art still works.
2) The Dune references. Ok the appearance of the sandworm is expected in a desert thing but it is handled quite well. For me there is a sense of the epic about the creature conveyed by the art that completely forgives the predictability of the reference. The spice itself though is well written and the jokes subtler.
3) Haley in this comic is quite good I felt. Her annoyance grows but never goes too far. It's a decent callback to the mark of Justice. And she makes her point on mysoginistic Belkar in a wonderfully understated way. Kudos.
4) Mr Scruffy. I noticed it on my 3rd read through that he runs away before the worm bursts through. It's IMO the funniest touch of the comic and a lovely hint.
5) This one is goodish. I found Elan irritating at first in this one, but now after a couple of reads through I see him as endearing.

The Bad:
1) The punchline. A decent "I need a drink" joke can be very funny but this one was not so good. Overall it fell flat. It was not original enough and tequila just feels wrong for Durkon the beer swilling dwarf. This is a major failing of this comic.
2) The overall joke is predictable. As I said the worm itself is good enough to redeem it's inclusion but making a dune reference just seems......predictable. Like it had to be done. This leads to point three.
3) The strip doesn't seem to go anywhere, or do anything major. No big plot points or hilarious jokes. It doesn't wrap up plot points or give a good character study. So beyond the jokes there is little in the comic to recommend it.

So overall it is a throwaway joke comic with some epic art and design, and a few funny bits but the main joke falls flat and seemed somewhat predictable. Without anything else in the comic to play off of I think it is one of the weakest of the strip in recent weeks.

Only a 2 star comic this time. Not really bad as such but predictable and not as funny as one would like. (please note that this is a 2 star compared to other strips. Compared to many webcomics it still is allright)

I do have my own alternative take on the strip, but I think it is mere fanwank so I'll only say it if anyone is interested.

Mordokai
Of course it's a Dune reference. He's even got the blue eyes.

I'm pretty sure you don't mean Harkonnen, since I seem to remember their eyes being red, if anything. The second house was O... something, which leaves Atreiades, or however you spell that. Granted, it's been long since I played Dune and I'm awfully short on it's lore, so it may even be the sand people, which name I also forgot.

Despite all that, yeah, it's pretty obvious it's Dune reference. And it's quite cool comic indeed :smallsmile:

daggaz
2009-11-05, 08:07 AM
Yayy!!! And with my favorite dune characters, too! (the oots)

I'm pretty sure you don't mean Harkonnen, since I seem to remember their eyes being red, if anything.

.. you seem to remember....poorly.

smellie_hippie
2009-11-05, 08:07 AM
Hrmmmmmm.... Shai Hulud... *end chant*

Awesome comic!

Starscream
2009-11-05, 08:08 AM
Durkon's line at the end is hysterical:smallbiggrin:.

Death by Dune reference. That'll teach Belkar to do pseudo-good deeds and accept rewards for them. Or, you know, not because he may actually die.

Larkspur
The OotS do Dune, and the Giant is alive.

Excellent!

nosignal
Let's hope someone tries to ride it.

warmachine
2009-11-05, 08:10 AM
I dunno what Durkon's worried about. Just cast Freedom of Movement on Belkar and watch the Purple Worm vainly try to swallow him.

Freedom of Movement: the Cleric's contribution to making logic cry for its mummy.

It doesn't make sense that the worm knows where the source of the spice is. Aroma doesn't penetrate the ground. The worm is simply detecting vibrations. And that's my contribution to killing catgirls.

Crod
2009-11-05, 08:11 AM
I wonder if this is just a short reference to Dune or if it will have a long term effect on Belkar if he survives the encounter with the worm. Not the nicest drug to suffer withdrawal symptoms for.

starwoof
2009-11-05, 08:13 AM
I've been hoping to see a purple worm since forever, I'm glad it finally showed up.:smallbiggrin: One of my favorite monsters.

NeonRonin
2009-11-05, 08:14 AM
If Belkar suddenly becomes a master of the Weirding Way and dresses up in a stilsuit, I quit. :smalltongue:

Or maybe not. I do quite like jokes like this.

Vercon
2009-11-05, 08:24 AM
Awesome comic giant. I totally can need to read Dune again.

Tundar
2009-11-05, 08:25 AM
I haven't either read nor watched Dune, so I don't get the references.

But Durkon longing for tequila triggered the image of Durkon with a sombreo and/or body tequilas. That got me grinning :smallbiggrin:

Kaytara
2009-11-05, 08:27 AM
Yes! Thank you. I've really been needing something to lift my spirits.

I'm looking forward to seeing the OotS have a good scuffle, all together again. :)

Belkar's similes are disturbing.

It's good to see Durkon being a bit more emotive. :)

Hacktor
2009-11-05, 08:27 AM
Brings back memories... Great Dune references there

Great comic Giant

Bazzer
2009-11-05, 08:28 AM
Sorry to hear that it's been a tough week Rich. Hope things are improving, and thanks for getting the strip up!
Long time since I read Dune, looking forward to seeing how things move on from here!:smallsmile:

Eran of Arcadia
2009-11-05, 08:29 AM
Hmmm . . .

The Bad:
1) The punchline. A decent "I need a drink" joke can be very funny but this one was not so good. Overall it fell flat. It was not original enough and tequila just feels wrong for Durkon the beer swilling dwarf. This is a major failing of this comic.

I don't know if this is the sort of comic where the last line is to be considered the "punchline" or the thing to which the rest of the comic was building.

3) The strip doesn't seem to go anywhere, or do anything major. No big plot points or hilarious jokes. It doesn't wrap up plot points or give a good character study. So beyond the jokes there is little in the comic to recommend it.

Well, there is a giant worm threatening them, does that change anything?

Big Hungry Joe
2009-11-05, 08:34 AM
Dune references and tequila references?

My cup runneth over.

p.s. Belkar is clearly the Kwisatz Haderach

Ancalagon
2009-11-05, 08:35 AM
DUNE reference! *hug Rich* *dances and backflips*

(sometimes it's very easy to make simple people happy :))

Lifeson
2009-11-05, 08:35 AM
By the way - what does 'on toast' comment mean? :smallconfused:

Where else do you put spice, besides in your mouth and interstellar currency?

sihnfahl
2009-11-05, 08:38 AM
why in the 9 hells would a merchant in the desert have such a product, and why would he give it as a gift to someone?
The spice is only found on a desert planet...

Ok, so is this the end of the line for Belkar?
Nope.

I've not seen or read Dune, so I guess some of the stuff in this strip is lost on me.
Do it. I'd watch the 1984 version of Dune, if anything just to see Patrick Stewart being a battlebard, and a young Sting being creepysexy.

The 2000 series is okay, but with much better CGI.

Jahkaivah
2009-11-05, 08:38 AM
DEATH WORM DEATH WORM DEATH WORM (http://gmc.yoyogames.com/index.php?showtopic=279075)

AshDesert
2009-11-05, 08:39 AM
I didn't find Durkon's joke at the end to be that funny (although I now have the image of them trying to drown a purple worm with a giant bottle of tequila), however, the rest of it was (both Elan's toast comment and Belkar's analogies), and the Dune references were awesome.

Ninja
2009-11-05, 08:43 AM
Woe is me, for I get not the Dune reference, having watched, read or played nothing named Dune. Will anyone help end the pain of not knowing, and explain it to me!

Actually, all i know is that melange is some uber-drug that gives you blue eyes, longer lifespan, heightened awareness and an addiction that kills... If the worm is another reference, i didn't get it. Also, i didn't get the name of the comic...

Andore Mordre
2009-11-05, 08:45 AM
I figure this update took so long because Rich had to wait to hear back from his lawyers first.

Also, we've been having all sorts of fun coming up with Dune connections over here...

Vaarsuvius and her "Words of Power".
Elan, the singer/luter player...if that worm catches him, it's really gonna Sting.
In the old OotS Movie threads, Patrick Stewart has been suggested many times as Durkon.

derfenrirwolv
2009-11-05, 08:46 AM

Presumably, the stuff is made from the worms (or one of their.. byproducts) so a merchant in the dessert would pretty much be THE person to go to to get it.

Haley says he's a spice (clover, sassafras, sage, rosemary etc) merchant, i don't think they knew he was a SPICE perchant.

From belkars description (and the dune reference) we know that its pretty good stuff, so giving it as a gift to someone that saved your life is a definite possibility. Of course, you expect somoene competent enough to kill half a dozen slavers would be smart enough to read the warning.

MisterM
2009-11-05, 08:46 AM
I'm pretty sure you don't mean Harkonnen, since I seem to remember their eyes being red, if anything. The second house was O... something, which leaves Atreiades, or however you spell that. Granted, it's been long since I played Dune and I'm awfully short on it's lore, so it may even be the sand people, which name I also forgot.

The house of O... is the house of Ordos and the sand people are the Fremen. No references to those, but if you read Dune even just once (or played any of the games), it's very obvious (I already saw it in the title).

Dacia Brabant
2009-11-05, 08:49 AM
You know this makes me wonder, has anyone statted up a Shai'hulud for 3.5? Purple worms are nice and all, but they're nowhere near as big as the sandworms of Arrakis.

Oh and welcome back Mr. Burlew, hope things get better for you. :smallsmile:

BeholderMage
2009-11-05, 08:50 AM
Does that mean that Belkar's mental stats just doubled? :smallamused:

And yeah, Elan could use some extra INT points :smallamused:

Also - Belkar - awesome as always :smalltongue:

Durkon - bland, boring as ever.

no no, I finally agree with Durkon on something. A 500 foot tall bottle of tequila is the perfect way to react to Dune references in my mind...

Snake-Aes
2009-11-05, 08:51 AM

It starts with "it's worth a helluva lot money" and ends with "But I like my life more".

Kroy
2009-11-05, 08:51 AM
What kind of spice was that?

Melange (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spice_%28Dune%29).
Tencharacters

The_Shaman
2009-11-05, 08:52 AM
Yay for the Dune reference :) .

Snake, I remember the Ashworm monster from Sandstorm, but it wasn't quite the same thing, neither in size nor in looks. I guess WotC didn't want to get too close to a possible copyright infringement.

Gez
2009-11-05, 08:52 AM
I don't think Belkar will bite it. His foreshadowed demise being caused by a one-off parody of another literary work would feel out of place and be quite a let down.

Mordokai
2009-11-05, 08:54 AM
The house of O... is the house of Ordos and the sand people are the Fremen. No references to those, but if you read Dune even just once (or played any of the games), it's very obvious (I already saw it in the title).

Correct. For that, I award you with a single internet, usable at your leisure :smallbiggrin:

I was talking about the blue eyes, since I couldn't figure whether it was Fremen or Atreides that has them. And Eldan was speaking about some sort of reference there, so I figured somebody who knows Dune better than me would know better.

ericgrau
2009-11-05, 08:54 AM
Abundant references and subtle details, gotta love the way things work around here.

And, don't worry, it's only a CR 12 :smallbiggrin:.

I dunno what Durkon's worried about. Just cast Freedom of Movement on Belkar and watch the Purple Worm vainly try to swallow him.

Freedom of Movement: the Cleric's contribution to making logic cry for its mummy.

Why would you waste a spell when its stomach only has 25 hit points which may attacked with piercing or slashing damage? :smallconfused:

Ted The Bug
2009-11-05, 08:56 AM
I've never read Dune, but I love this update!
Sorry about the tough week, Giant, hope things turn out better...whatever they are.

Blaznak
2009-11-05, 08:57 AM
Once we got the gang to a desert, I figured it would only a matter of time until we either got a Dune or a Mummy reference. Since I never get any of those guesses right, I knew it would be neither. AAARGH! I got psyked out on this! Hee hee.

Hope your week goes better!!!

Hatchet
2009-11-05, 08:59 AM
Maybe the worm is an illusion of Girard. Sweet heavens, please let it be an illusion of Girard!

Also, am I the only one who thinks "Safe is for NPCs" would look great on a t-shirt? :smallsmile:

BeholderMage
2009-11-05, 09:03 AM
Let's hope someone tries to ride it.

Belkar. Roy's already jumped on a monster this arc.

sihnfahl
I was talking about the blue eyes, since I couldn't figure whether it was Fremen or Atreides that has them.
Fremen. After all, they are the inhabitants of Dune, and they're constantly exposed to worm ... byproducts ... carried by the wind.

Although anyone who lives on Dune long enough will get blue eyes for the same reason.

If memory serves me correctly.

Kaed
That's weird.

This is the second Dune reference I've seen online since I started re-reading the first book last week.

Clearly I have my own foretelling abilities and pick up books that predict what will come.

SatyreIkon
YES! YES!! YES!!!

I've just started reading Dune again, and now there's a strip inspired by it!

I LOVE YOU GIANT :smallbiggrin:

Bradak
2009-11-05, 09:06 AM
Obviously they will ride the Worm to get out of the desert or at least to the next event.
Belkar should be enough frenzy now to do it!
In my eyes the only thing that will make sense, because fighting is not that much of an option.
Or something like an ornithopter will appear.

Turkish Delight
2009-11-05, 09:09 AM
It's funny; I'd been considering what Arabian Nights-style references we would be certain to run into now that we're in this desert setting. It never crossed my mind that we were headed for Dune; maybe I thought it was too Sci Fi-ish.

I wonder if the old man gave that stuff to Belkar without further warning on purpose? Belkar was only a threatened cat away from leaving the guy to a life of slavery, after all. Who says he didn't overhear?

Douglas
2009-11-05, 09:10 AM
I was talking about the blue eyes, since I couldn't figure whether it was Fremen or Atreides that has them.
Anyone who consumes enough spice gets the blue eyes eventually.

Turkish Delight
2009-11-05, 09:17 AM
Anyone who consumes enough spice gets the blue eyes eventually.

And with a quick check, I now recall the spice is not only addictive, but withdrawal is fatal.

Depending on how far the Giant is taking his Dune references, Belkar may be in big trouble.

KilltheToy
2009-11-05, 09:17 AM
Wow, I'm amazed. I recognized the Dune refrence despite the fact that I haven't read a single book in the series.

I'm suddenly glad I hang out with you guys :smallsmile:.

sihnfahl
2009-11-05, 09:19 AM
I wonder if the old man gave that stuff to Belkar without further warning on purpose? Belkar was only a threatened cat away from leaving the guy to a life of slavery, after all. Who says he didn't overhear?
It would be a longshot, no? If the stuff's that good, a greedy adventurer would most likely hold onto it for the gold it's worth, not for personal consumption.

TriForce
2009-11-05, 09:22 AM
So assuming that belkars eyes indeed did not change becouse of the spice like he said, what COULD be responcible for it?

my personal guess is that its becouse of heatstroke :) since i guess durkon still didnt cast the protection from heat on him

Kaytara
2009-11-05, 09:24 AM
I suspect we'll find out soon.

Honestly, as genre-savvy as the Order is supposed to be, I'm surprised they're not freaking out about this more.

Lvl45DM!
2009-11-05, 09:24 AM
why on earth wouldnt it be the spice and even if it wasnt since when does heatstroke change the colour of your eyes?

ironballs
2009-11-05, 09:26 AM
come on - it's a reference to the saga of DUNE.

the spice there is extremely valuable, it expand the mind and spirit, it's been harvested in the deserts of Dune - where the giant worms patrol and eat anything that moves.

Poeple who consumes a lot of the spice develop bright blue eyes (all of the eye become blue - even the white parts) - the desert dwellers - the Fremen all have blue eyes like that.

Kensen
2009-11-05, 09:32 AM
The comic name, the spice, the eye color change and the worm are obviously references to Dune (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dune_(novel)).

EDIT: I.e. what ironballs said.

triple zero
2009-11-05, 09:41 AM
DEATH WORM DEATH WORM DEATH WORM (http://gmc.yoyogames.com/index.php?showtopic=279075)

OK, this is awesome. I know what I'll be doing for the next hour!

Turkish Delight
2009-11-05, 09:43 AM
Seriously, those here who haven't read Dune really need to do so. You'll both get the joke and get a classic Sci Fi novel out of it.

Sijo
2009-11-05, 09:43 AM
Any strip focusing on Belkar automatically loses points with me, but at least the Dune references are fun if predictable.

I suspect Rich will play with the effects of the Melange on Belkar for at least a few strips. Just what we needed, a psionic Belkar! Maybe I should take a sabbatical from reading OOTS...:smallwink:

xwing
2009-11-05, 09:48 AM
Any chance Belkar will try to tame it as an animal companion now that Mr. Scruffy has run away?:smallbiggrin:

deuxhero
2009-11-05, 09:51 AM
Being someone with no Dune history I thought Belkar was turned into an Elan for a bit there or something.

Gol_Stoan
2009-11-05, 09:53 AM
Yaay DUNE!!

As for Belkar's comment "Safe is for NPCs."

"The eye that looks ahead to the safe course is closed forever."
-Paul Muad'Dib Atreides

Obrysii
2009-11-05, 09:55 AM
Yay! I actually did this exact same thing in my D&D campaign.

The PCs were on a sandskiff, though, and the sandworm was attracted to it by its rhythmic skirrrt-skirrrt sound. And the PCs were able to get a spice-like ooze from the creature's remains once they killed it (the group had huge - I mean huge - barrels of water in the sandskiff's hold; when the sandworm swallowed up the skiff, they blew up the barrels and the water burned out its insides).

so. I totally support a Dune reference in this comic.

Acero
2009-11-05, 09:56 AM
it wouldn't be an desert area without a giant worm...

i say throw in a terrasque for good measure:smalltongue:

Trixie
2009-11-05, 09:57 AM
Now that I think about it... how Belkar knew his eyes changed color? :smallconfused:

Snake-Aes
2009-11-05, 09:58 AM
The same way they know there's been a cutaway panel.

Necron
2009-11-05, 10:00 AM
Yay Dune... It still lives! =)

Berserk Monk
2009-11-05, 10:04 AM
Wow that sucks. Love Belkar's metaphor: best sex crystalized indeed!

Tundar
2009-11-05, 10:06 AM
That Wiki page about Dune was very informative, thank you. Now I just have to go watch the damn movie.

Berserk Monk
2009-11-05, 10:08 AM
Was the title of the strip a reference to anything?

Silverraptor
2009-11-05, 10:13 AM
Oh, Belkar. What are we going to have to do with you?:smallsigh:

And don't worry Giant. I've been having a tough week too.

Nimrod's Son
2009-11-05, 10:19 AM
Was the title of the strip a reference to anything?
Also Dune. "The spice must flow"...

Also I guess a gentle nod to how slow the updates have been recently.

TheCoolThatguy
2009-11-05, 10:27 AM
Presumably, the stuff is made from the worms (or one of their.. byproducts) so a merchant in the dessert would pretty much be THE person to go to to get it.

Haley says he's a spice (clover, sassafras, sage, rosemary etc) merchant, i don't think they knew he was a SPICE perchant.

From belkars description (and the dune reference) we know that its pretty good stuff, so giving it as a gift to someone that saved your life is a definite possibility. Of course, you expect somoene competent enough to kill half a dozen slavers would be smart enough to read the warning.

Probably, though he might have caught a clue when Belkar started laughing like a mad man and offering to kill the least popular person there.

drengnikrafe
2009-11-05, 10:30 AM
Wait, I'm getting a feeling...

No less than 3, but no greater than 11 threads will be started questioning whether or not this Purple Worm spells Belkar's death...

Trai
2009-11-05, 10:33 AM
Wait, I'm getting a feeling...

No less than 3, but no greater than 11 threads will be started questioning whether or not this Purple Worm spells Belkar's death...

Just as I was about to say, "Wow, I wonder if the worm will eat Belkar..."

CheeseMan
2009-11-05, 10:38 AM
And with a quick check, I now recall the spice is not only addictive, but withdrawal is fatal.

Depending on how far the Giant is taking his Dune references, Belkar may be in big trouble.

Or everyone else could be in big trouble, if he becomes prescient and fuses with the worm a la Leto II

Nimrod's Son
Just as I was about to say, "Wow, I wonder if the worm will eat Belkar..."
Quick! Go start a thread!

warmachine
Why would you waste a spell [Freedom of Movement on Belkar] when its stomach only has 25 hit points which may attacked with piercing or slashing damage?
Good point but there are the social consequences: Belkar would be very annoyed. This suggests Durkon should be gleeful but he may be trying behaviour modification on Belkar through rewards. Durkon should be happy. He wins either way.

DBear
2009-11-05, 10:40 AM
At first I thought it was just coffee and was picturing a hyperactive Belkar (think of Cornholio from the old Beavis & Butthead toons). I passed the blue eyes without much thought, but seeing the sandworm appear tied it together--Dune reference

sihnfahl
2009-11-05, 10:41 AM
This suggests Durkon should be gleeful but he may be trying behaviour modification on Belkar through rewards.
There's also negative reinforcement. Like not casting Endure Heat on a certain halfling because of his antics...

Tough love. If it takes getting eaten by a purple worm and forced to break your way out to teach you not to be a glutton, then so be it.

Calmness
2009-11-05, 10:44 AM
Mr. Scruffy appears to be the smartest.

i6uuaq
2009-11-05, 10:46 AM
Maybe the worm is an illusion of Girard. Sweet heavens, please let it be an illusion of Girard!

interesting....

although illusions shouldn't be able to "smell" the spice...

Telonius
2009-11-05, 10:48 AM
Had this go through my head after I read the comic:

Belkar is the mind-killer.
Belkar is the little-death that brings total obliteration...

HealthKit
2009-11-05, 10:56 AM
Seriously, if you haven't read Dune... what the heck are you doing here?
Go.
Read the book.
Don't comeback until you're finished.

Waggy
2009-11-05, 10:58 AM
That was an awesome comic! :smallbiggrin: I love Durkon, he always gets the best lines (if only he'd kept the giant mug from the Bandit Arc for his tequila :smalltongue:).

BRC
2009-11-05, 10:59 AM
Post without rhythm, so as not to attract the Nerd(rage).

Anonomuss
2009-11-05, 11:03 AM
Hmmm.... Looking at the wiki page... Melange can cause prescience...

Anyone think that Belkar could become the Oracle?

I mean, all he needs is a death, a reincarnation spell gone wrong and to be transferred back through time. :smallbiggrin:

A long shot and a half, but I think it'd be funny.

Kobold-Bard
2009-11-05, 11:03 AM
Thank Pelor for my girlfriend explaining what Dune is to me. I thought the Giant was just feeding Belkar drugs :smallbiggrin:

sihnfahl
2009-11-05, 11:06 AM
Anyone think that Belkar could become the Oracle?
With Belkar's int and wis?

He'd think the visions a wicked trip.

Allan Surgite
2009-11-05, 11:11 AM
I'll do so using the vast collection of Science Fiction books the local library has to offer.

Alternatively, deprived of sarcasm; I'm not staying away from here for two months until I read a heavily hyped Science Fiction book.

Pr0tag0nist
2009-11-05, 11:14 AM
I'm not staying away from here for two months until I read a heavily hyped Science Fiction book.

then go watch the damn movie!

Berserk Monk
2009-11-05, 11:18 AM
I'm sure it's just the spice. On the plus side, at least Belkar got a costume change.

Couatl
2009-11-05, 11:18 AM
A desert without purple worm encounter is like a party without beer :smallbiggrin:

Berserk Monk
2009-11-05, 11:19 AM
Also Dune. "The spice must flow"...

Also I guess a gentle nod to how slow the updates have been recently.

Ah. I read Dune once many years ago, but it didn't really grab me. I'm thinking of rereading it and giving it another try. It's part of a series, right?

FoE
2009-11-05, 11:21 AM
Called it.

Of course there's a sand worm. There's always a sand worm.

rainbowjo
2009-11-05, 11:22 AM
I'm sure it's just the spice. On the plus side, at least Belkar got a costume change.

My guess would be its a temporary side effect as the spice is (likely) a temporary consumable buff item.

sihnfahl
2009-11-05, 11:24 AM
It's part of a series, right?
Yeah. Full list at wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dune_universe).
You can get enough out of the '84 movie and 2k miniseries to follow the pop reference stuff (most folks never go past Dune).

And, as I said earlier, despite the miniseries better CGI and more expanded time, the '84 movie is still a favorite since it has Patrick Stewart and Sting.

Ancalagon
2009-11-05, 11:24 AM
Ah. I read Dune once many years ago, but it didn't really grab me. I'm thinking of rereading it and giving it another try. It's part of a series, right?

Read the first book, the rest is extra.

And watch the movie, the one with Sting (in the inofficial 3-hour-cut some TV-station made years ago; the cinema version (two-hour-cut) is a bit... hum... confuse).

Vectner
2009-11-05, 11:25 AM
Anyone else notice that Roy still has his giant belt on. He did get a costume update.

Nimrod's Son
2009-11-05, 11:26 AM
Yeah, but I only ever read the first one. And saw the Lynch movie. Both pretty good, but I can't say I was overawed by either of them.

Frank Herbert never got to finish his series, though. Friends of mine who are fans of the series say the last book (co-written by his son and some dude who wrote a bunch of Star Wars novels about Luke Skywalker running a Jedi school) sucked pretty bad.

Berserk Monk
2009-11-05, 11:26 AM
There's a lesson here:

Never rescue or help anyone: if Belkar hadn't saved the old man, than he wouldn't had gotten the spices and this wouldn't had happened.

I mean, what else could it be? Don't be a glutton, do things in moderation, or that if you see a label on something, you should read it first.

pendell
2009-11-05, 11:28 AM
THE SLEEPER HAS AWAKENED!

*Collapses, rolling on the floor, howling in laughter*

AWESOME COMIC!

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Hadessniper
2009-11-05, 11:29 AM
That Wiki page about Dune was very informative, thank you. Now I just have to go watch the damn movie.

No No No No, a thousand times No. Watching the movie without reading the book first is a HUGE mistake. You will be very bored and majorly confused. The book is a masterpiece worth reading and rereading over the years, the movie is a headache.

Omergideon
2009-11-05, 11:31 AM
Hmmm . . .

I don't know if this is the sort of comic where the last line is to be considered the "punchline" or the thing to which the rest of the comic was building.

Well, there is a giant worm threatening them, does that change anything?

Well first off, my experience has often been that the final panel of comedy strips is usually a punchline of some description, if not it is usually a capstone type joke. I could reference strips but I reread the archive up to maybe 80 earlier today and remember hundreds of other examples. It might not always be where a strip is going in every case, but I do see that trend for the comedy strips. Though it is more like a stand up comic's punchline than a normal joke.

As for the giant worm, I see maybe a strip or 2 at most of killing it and nothing else happening. A random encounter. This may be wrong, and if so I would think the strip better in context, but as a standalone strip the overall plot is not advanced in any meaningful way. It feels like a random encounter.

Atreides
2009-11-05, 11:33 AM
I knew there was going to be a Dune reference as soon as I read the title of today's comic.

Although, don't ask me how.

pendell
2009-11-05, 11:34 AM
Look very closely at his open eyes ... are they blue now? And were they not blue in 687 and previously?

For those who know the Dune series -- is this the blue-within-blue color of Spice Addiction (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dune_Spice#Physiological_side_effects)? Indicating that Belkar is now permanently addicted and will die if he ever stops taking it?

I also wonder if Belkar will start manifesting some of the powers associated with spice -- accelerated mental processes (as in the Mentat) or precognition.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

rainbowjo
2009-11-05, 11:36 AM
a thread on this topic -just- got moved to the main discussion thread.

Atreides
2009-11-05, 11:36 AM
This is operating under the assumption that this isn't just a one-shot joke reference strip. Although...Belkar's year is almost up, isn't it?

scwizard
2009-11-05, 11:38 AM
Where's that strip where V discusses the probability of random encounters?

Here's hoping that this encounter either advances the plot in some significant way, or doesn't take up too many strips.

sihnfahl
2009-11-05, 11:40 AM
Although...Belkar's year is almost up, isn't it?
Which would be ... what ... 2, 3 years of OOTS?

Talya
2009-11-05, 11:43 AM
Alternatively, deprived of sarcasm; I'm not staying away from here for two months until I read a heavily hyped Science Fiction book.

That's only a few comics. You'd catch up quickly.

I've never been able to finish reading Dune. Although I did like the TV mini-series. (The old movie wasn't so great.)

sihnfahl
2009-11-05, 11:47 AM
145 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0145.html)
Enjoy.

Athaniar
2009-11-05, 11:52 AM
Heh, Dune. Me and my Purple Worm (miniature, of course) enjoy the references, even though I've only watched the original movie and the Children of Dune miniseries.

Pip
2009-11-05, 11:54 AM
Wow that sucks. Love Belkar's metaphor: best sex crystalized indeed!

Anyone else notice that it was actually best sex with a woman? Who or what else has Belker been having sex with?

:smalleek:

B.I.T.T.
2009-11-05, 11:54 AM
*sigh* More rampent speculations. Eventually we're going to get to the point where we're rampently speculating on the next rampent speculation. But I digress.

I'm with Ateides on this one. It's probably a one shot joke.

Aaron
2009-11-05, 11:59 AM
:smalleek:Wow!!! Thats why you always read the labels first.

Vectner
2009-11-05, 12:00 PM
Anyone else notice that it was actually best sex with a woman? Who or what else has Belker been having sex with?

I could go into it but it would probably break the forum rules. Lets just say that Belkar is one sick individual.

Carnivorous_Bea
2009-11-05, 12:04 PM
No No No No, a thousand times No. Watching the movie without reading the book first is a HUGE mistake. You will be very bored and majorly confused. The book is a masterpiece worth reading and rereading over the years, the movie is a headache.

Agreed, the movie is kind of an embarrassment, IMO .... I mean, Baron Harkonnen bathing in fuel oil? Sandworms that look like they're five inches long, literally? World War I machine guns for weapons? Muad-Dib sliding down a slope literally on his face and coming out of it without a hair out of place, never mind his face half ripped off?

The book's excellent. The movie is a prime example of why Hollywood shouldn't be allowed to make movies based on books. :smallbiggrin:

Nighthawk4
2009-11-05, 12:04 PM
Yay, the blue eyes of Melange addiction and Shai'Hulud.

Great comic. I wonder who gave :belkar: the drink?

Ikialev
2009-11-05, 12:06 PM
Well, um... not funny enough for me. Especially considering that's after a week or so without real comics.

Asis
2009-11-05, 12:07 PM

Here's hoping that this encounter either advances the plot in some significant way, or doesn't take up too many strips.
Of course. The 'Random Encounter' seat has been taken. This sand-worm smells of 'Plot Device'

Nice Dune refference. I've read all the books thrice, when I was 15, 19 and 23 years old. It's impressive the kind of things you keep finding on them.

Superglucose
2009-11-05, 12:08 PM
Colossal Purple Worm anyone?

DeepChild
2009-11-05, 12:10 PM
Once again Belkar makes me spit my food at my monitor. That was awesome.

73 Bits of Lint
2009-11-05, 12:12 PM
then go watch the damn movie!
Or listen to the song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JY80pGWX92g).
The great thing about Iron Maiden is that about 2 hours worth of music listening can save you a couple months worth of reading scifi novels, history textbooks, romantic poetry, and all the other High School reading assignments that you never got around to. Now, if only someone would write a song based on Keretesz's Fateless and another based on my old first year Psychology textbook, then I'd finally be caught up to the reading I never did in college.

see
2009-11-05, 12:29 PM
Or listen to the song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JY80pGWX92g).

No, that's the wrong song. The correct song starts:

The spice melange, it's so cinnamon sweet,
I put it on most everything I eat.
It's addictive, too,
And don't it make my brown eyes blue.

Tom Smith FTW.

Kilarny
2009-11-05, 12:32 PM
O Giant:
We don't mind delays when they are TOTALLY WORTH IT. Purple Shai-Hulud FTW!
Good health to you, Mr. Burlew.

The MunchKING
2009-11-05, 12:35 PM
Yay, Purple Worm!

I predict a few swallow wholes and hole-closing muscular action.

Don't they only get up to like 30 feet long though?

So Roy was wrong, that SHOULD be enough to drown it.

The MunchKING
2009-11-05, 12:37 PM

Duh, it's an assassination attempt, cause he saw how evil Belkar was.

SinsI
2009-11-05, 12:38 PM
Actually, Durkon and Roy are the only ones in real danger - everyone else easily outruns a Purple Worm.

Larocs Macalar
2009-11-05, 12:39 PM
I said it was a trap in the last thread. i just didnt imagine that will be a giant one. And :roy: was very great with the new belt. in the next comic i think we're going to see its really power on action.
Oh!, one more thing: there is any relation betwen belkar's eyes and the worm's color?:smallannoyed:

sihnfahl
2009-11-05, 12:40 PM
Oh!, one more thing: there is any relation betwen belkar's eyes and the worm's color?:smallannoyed:
No, purely a Dune reference there.

Shale
2009-11-05, 12:41 PM

The first one's always free.

Trixie
2009-11-05, 12:42 PM
Frank Herbert never got to finish his series, though. Friends of mine who are fans of the series say the last book (co-written by his son and some dude who wrote a bunch of Star Wars novels about Luke Skywalker running a Jedi school) sucked pretty bad.

That's because both guys suck pretty bad.

Their SW novels were awful :smallsigh:

And in both cases, they broke canon in pretty much every page.

Eleven
2009-11-05, 12:48 PM
Haha! awesome.

No desert campaign is complete without excessive Dune references.

Severus
2009-11-05, 12:48 PM
Sigh.

I know why cartoonists do it, but I hate it.

Every time they make a heavy handed reference to some pop culture thing, I am thrown out of their story to think about the reference.

Dune was brilliant, but leave it alone. This is your story, Rich. Tell us your story, not frank herbert's.

Menas
2009-11-05, 12:50 PM
Now I'm wondering if the spice is going to be tied to the death of Belkar...

Giggling Ghast
2009-11-05, 12:57 PM
Crikey, that's a big one!

Animefunkmaster
2009-11-05, 12:57 PM
Convenient as I just watched Dune 3 days ago. Awesome strip!

Athaniar
2009-11-05, 12:59 PM
Thanks a lot, now I'm addicted to it. Never thought I'd play a game with one of my favorite cryptids in it, but I am. And it's awesome.

derfenrirwolv
2009-11-05, 01:01 PM
Since the comic= the spice, i wonder if this is supposed to mean that if we don't get over our comic addiction our eyes will turn blue and we'll be eaten by gigantic worms...

Animefunkmaster
2009-11-05, 01:03 PM
I speculate that the next speculation will be about V. S/he will be in front of two doors (one on the left and the other on the right) on a law abiding plane of existence. I speculate she will chose the door on the right and I speculate everyone to speculate that V is republican.

As far as staying on topic, I would imagine the Dune references not to last long and feel the spice merchants gave the spice to belkar as some kind of poison gift. Not 100% sure why, but it seems intentional. They are in the middle of the desert for crying out loud.

WNxArrakis
2009-11-05, 01:06 PM
I approve of this comic.

Atreides
2009-11-05, 01:11 PM
I approve of this comic.
Do you now?

Trebuchet
2009-11-05, 01:14 PM
Oh, that was so funny! I've been sick all week, so a hearty laugh has done me a world of good.

Shua
2009-11-05, 01:17 PM
New comic is up.

Sorry for the delays, it's been a tough week.
OMFG! Rich you're not planning to make the sexy shoeless god of war the Kwisatz Haderach are you!?

Kneenibble
2009-11-05, 01:17 PM
God-Emperor Belkar II? :eek:
http://static.dropline.net/cats/images/dune-cat.jpg

Totally Guy
2009-11-05, 01:19 PM
I think this is the first time I've heard the message "Dune is good". And everyone seems to be in agreement.

So how the heck did I manage to pick up preconceptions to the contrary? Someone's been lying to me. I bet it was the media.

Pip
2009-11-05, 01:21 PM
That's because both guys suck pretty bad.

Their SW novels were awful :smallsigh:

And in both cases, they broke canon in pretty much every page.

That's not true...

... they only broke canon every other page.

:smallconfused:

Berserk Monk
2009-11-05, 01:22 PM

I noticed it, I just didn't want to open that can of worms.

Also... (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0316.html)

Kneenibble
2009-11-05, 01:22 PM
I think this is the first time I've heard the message "Dune is good". And everyone seems to be in agreement.

So how the heck did I manage to pick up preconceptions to the contrary? Someone's been lying to me. I bet it was the media.

I bet it was David Lynch.

Moridin
2009-11-05, 01:26 PM
So, with the prescient powers spice melange can give some people (like Paul Atreides), does that mean Belkar will be able to see possible paths of the future? Will he be able to see his own death?

Rhydeble
2009-11-05, 01:27 PM
I hope the Spice gives Belkar a Wisdom boost.

There is only one thing more scary then an angry Belkar

An angry Belkar that can cast spells.

Kish
2009-11-05, 01:28 PM
The Dune reference is a joke. It allowed Belkar to demonstrate being misogynistic, sadistic, and selfish, and provided a lead-in to a random encounter with a purple worm. For neither was it necessary, as such. It's really unlikely that the spice Belkar's been eating will either kill him when he stops eating it, or allow him to see the future (or, in any other way, significantly affect the plot).

Optimystik
2009-11-05, 01:29 PM
I hope the Spice gives Belkar a Wisdom boost.

There is only one thing more scary then an angry Belkar

An angry Belkar that can cast spells.

Raising his wisdom removes the anger though. :smalltongue:

sihnfahl
2009-11-05, 01:30 PM
So, with the prescient powers spice melange can give some people (like Paul Atreides), does that mean Belkar will be able to see possible paths of the future? Will he be able to see his own death?
Or will he just take it as a 'freaky trip'?

hamishspence
2009-11-05, 01:35 PM
As far as I know, Brian Herbert has never been involved in Star Wars novels- only Kevin J. Anderson has- so there is no "their Star Wars novels".

The first prequel trilogy (House Atriedes, House Harkonnen, House Corrino) has a slightly better reputation than the Butlerian Jihad trilogy.

House Ordos does not appear in any of the actual novels- I think it only appears in the Dune, computer games, and possibly the non-canon Dune Encyclopedia.

Sandworms have been statted out- sort of- in Dragon Magazine 325, in 3.5 ed- basically as a set of modifications to purple worms:

Remove stinger.
Increase tremorsense to 1 mile.
Rule that it may use the Run action while burrowing- as long as it's in sand-type material
Reduce CR by 1
For larger worms- advance to Colossal size.

It also had rules for the spice, and Navigators.

FoE
2009-11-05, 01:38 PM
Shouldn't the spice merchant have warned Belkar that the spice may attract sandworms? That's not the sort of thing that slips a person's mind ... unless he was out to KILL the Order of the Stick.

Convenient, isn't it? Slip the adventurers some item that will attract dangerous monsters and you don't even have to get your hands dirty. Some unscrupulous 1E merchants used to do the same by selling adventurers parrots who would chant the name of a demon lord (Orcus, I believe) and cause said demon to appear. The merchants would then follow the adventurers' path and loot their coprses.

Granted, there was a warning on the side of the bottle, but the merchant didn't even try to remind Belkar to read the label.

Clearly he's some kind of assassin hired by Redcloak or the IFCC. That, or he was he secretly in cahoots with the bug-people, his "capture" was deliberately staged ("I couldn't be in league with the slavers, didn't you see how I was captured as well? It was a miracle I was able to escape") and wants revenge on the Order of the Stick for ruining his operation.

Hrairoo
2009-11-05, 01:40 PM
oh, man, jedi academy nightmare flashbacks occurring...

my guess, is that the spice was meant to be used as bait... but, it might have side effects that no one knew about, because it was not meant to be eaten...

Hrairoo
2009-11-05, 01:42 PM
The Dune reference is a joke. It allowed Belkar to demonstrate being misogynistic, sadistic, and selfish, and provided a lead-in to a random encounter with a purple worm. For neither was it necessary, as such. It's really unlikely that the spice Belkar's been eating will either kill him when he stops eating it, or allow him to see the future (or, in any other way, significantly affect the plot).

i think we should all know by now, that everything affects the plot. the giant isn't one to make a reference that isn't still actually important to the story...

Vemynal
I love you

this was wonderful XD

Darius1020
Look at the tone of "his" skin...

(no, this isn't a racist remark, but there have been several people who have messed with the Order with that particular skin color... hmmm.....(hopefully people can see where i'm going with this...))

The Recreator
Hmmm.... Looking at the wiki page... Melange can cause prescience...

Anyone think that Belkar could become the Oracle?:smalleek:

Melange is kobold dust (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0566.html)?

Lappy9000
2009-11-05, 01:45 PM
New comic is up.

Sorry for the delays, it's been a tough week.Sorry for the delay? Mr. Burlew, your fine artistic work is of such a high calibur and consistently provodes such hilarity that I would gladly wait months between updates. Your work is marvelous, and I implore you to take as long as you need to make sure everything sizes up to your high standards :smallcool::smallcool::smallcool:

Kaytara
2009-11-05, 01:46 PM
What would Sabine, or any of the LG, be doing waiting for the Order? They've gone on to the next gate ages ago.

As for the OP, well, it's possible the merchant didn't know what's in the gift box. His wife gave it to him, and the fact that Belkar is an adventurer is something that may have slipped her mind or something the man hadn't mentioned.

Pr0tag0nist
2009-11-05, 01:46 PM
why would you leave the note on it saying you re about to die if u eat it in the desert? i would scrape it off if i were an assassin :-)

Racinante
2009-11-05, 01:50 PM
Ok, totally off topic here, but is Haley pregnant?

FoE
2009-11-05, 01:52 PM
Look at the tone of "his" skin...

(no, this isn't a racist remark, but there have been several people who have messed with the Order with that particular skin color... hmmm.....(hopefully people can see where i'm going with this...))

I think you're suggesting that he's a demon because he's the same colour as Sabine, but please, let's not go there. Don't get my thread locked.

why would you leave the note on it saying you re about to die if u eat it in the desert? i would scrape it off if i were an assassin :-)

So that he'd have a plausible excuse if his scheme failed.

If he knows Belkar, he knows the halfling is too impatient to actually read the warning label before gulping the spice down.

sihnfahl
2009-11-05, 01:53 PM
i would scrape it off if i were an assassin :-)
In the chance that the group survive, it'd make serious rifts in the group. If you can't kill the group, break them up.

"Wait ... it warned you not to do that and you did it ANYWAY!?"

One Skunk Todd
2009-11-05, 01:54 PM
Shouldn't the spice merchant have warned Belkar that the spice may attract sandworms?

Belkar didn't give him much of a chance did he?

Random832
2009-11-05, 01:55 PM
I think you're suggesting that he's a demon because he's the same colour as Sabine, but please, let's not go there. Don't get my thread locked.

Actually, I think with the "his" in scare quotes he was actually suggesting that he is Sabine. Why that'd put us at risk for a thread locking, I don't know.

However, Sabine always has had dark hair before.

Kish
2009-11-05, 01:56 PM
Ah! I didn't get it at all until Face of Evil clarified.

Rich said a while ago on the board that Sabine's default skin color was chosen to suggest mixed race because, as a shapeshifter, her skin color becomes whatever she wants it to be. It stretches probability that she arranged to infiltrate the caravan when the Linear Guild either got to the desert long before the Order, or went off after Kraagor's Gate; it stretches probability more that she was somehow able to arrange to be the caravan member rescued by Belkar.

Shale
2009-11-05, 01:56 PM
i think we should all know by now, that everything affects the plot. the giant isn't one to make a reference that isn't still actually important to the story...

Always? (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0091.html) You're sure about that?

LurkerInPlayground
2009-11-05, 01:57 PM
No. The Spice a dangerous two-way street. It gives with one hand and takes with the other. However, it is valuable whether you directly consume it or not.

But everybody knew that.

Pr0tag0nist
2009-11-05, 01:57 PM
So that he'd have a plausible excuse if his scheme failed.

if it wouldnt stay there there would be no reason for an excuse... who on earth [edit: oots world i mean^^] would link the spice to an upcoming random encounter?

Kish
2009-11-05, 01:58 PM
Ok, totally off topic here, but is Haley pregnant?
No.

Using more words: There has been no indication that she is. I can't see how it would add to the story (this isn't a soap opera), and I can't imagine she and Elan aren't using protection. Everyone can speculate, of course, but based on "There has been no indication that she is" alone, I'm treating her as not pregnant until that changes. :smalltongue:

Dilvish
2009-11-05, 02:00 PM
I haven't read nor watched Dune, but I've been around long enough and absorbed enough to get the references. Also, Avalon Hill published a Dune game a couple of decades back that I read about in the old General magazine.
Ah, the good old days. :)

I am guessing that this particular purple worm is more than a CR12 creature.

Kish
2009-11-05, 02:02 PM
if it wouldnt stay there there would be no reason for an excuse... who on earth [edit: oots world i mean^^] would link the spice to an upcoming random encounter?
Vaarsuvius after looking at the spice and making a Craft: Alchemy check?

(I'm generally negative on the question of the spice merchant deliberately setting up Belkar. I just had an answer to that question.)

FoE
2009-11-05, 02:08 PM
What would Sabine, or any of the LG, be doing waiting for the Order? They've gone on to the next gate ages ago.

They were tipped off by the IFCC, possibly. However, I don't think that's Sabine.

As for the OP, well, it's possible the merchant didn't know what's in the gift box. His wife gave it to him, and the fact that Belkar is an adventurer is something that may have slipped her mind or something the man hadn't mentioned.

He only said his wife gave it to him. That could be a lie.

who on earth [edit: oots world i mean^^] would link the spice to an upcoming random encounter?

Clearly, it's not a random encounter if the party was deliberately set up.

Adeptus
2009-11-05, 02:11 PM
Love the Dune reference.

Does Belkar get a level in Psion now, along with a new addiction? :tongue:

Ridureyu
2009-11-05, 02:42 PM
You know, Dune jokes aside, it doesn't have to adhere completely to canonical "spice." It could just be drugs.

Doug Lampert
2009-11-05, 02:51 PM

Dune won both the Hugo and Nebula. It's considered a classic, there have been three significant attempts to film it, none of them is considered a classic AFAIK. Note that the only film being recommended is based on having a couple of particular actors in it, not based on the film itself.

My guess is that your impression of badness comes from film(s) not the book.

Read the book, the first book of the series only. Stop. Do not watch any films, do not read any sequels. Much like Highlander "there should have been only one".

The book is long and fairly dense, a reasonable screenplay would need something on the order of 20 hours of film and even the miniseries was nowhere close to that, hence all film versions cut the hell out of the story, and since a lot of story elements connect this makes it incoherent and incomprehensible if you haven't read the book, since the book is better anyway just read it and skip the visuals.

Cracklord
2009-11-05, 03:00 PM
Ah. Dune reference.
I like this.

Blanth
2009-11-05, 03:03 PM
God-Emperor Belkar II? :eek:

The Sexy Shoeless War-God Emperor!

At least his name isn't a killing name.

Or is *splortch*

Tobrian
2009-11-05, 03:03 PM
"Usul, there's a worm coming!" :smallbiggrin:

When I saw today's strip's title, I was merely mildly confused, left wondering. I made the connection by the second panel, though, with Belkar babbling about "spice". And then I didn't know if I should groan or laugh out loud. :smallamused:

If Belkar gets hooked on spice, perhaps this will finally improve his ranger tracking skills. :smallwink:

Time to dust off (pardon the pun) my 3.5 edition Sandstorm supplement.

Originally Posted by thubby
why in the 9 hells would a merchant in the desert have such a product, and why would he give it as a gift to someone?The first one's always free.

Heh, you took the words right out of my mouth. :smallwink:

(Especially fitting, given what decades the original Dune novels where written in. Mystic drugs that allowed you to transcend material reality and gave you superpowers where all over the place in SF/Fantasy back in the 1960s and 70s. Later on, drug use was seen as politically incorrect and "not family friendly" message (Hey kids!) *rolls eyes*. Which is why TSR in their Mystara/Savage Coast setting changed the original concept of cinnabryl as a magic substance that gave you superpowers into cinnabryl as a "medicine" that people of the Savage Coast needed to prevent the mutations and insanity that plagued everyone born or living in that area.)

Hadessniper
2009-11-05, 03:13 PM
The book is long and fairly dense, a reasonable screenplay would need something on the order of 20 hours of film and even the miniseries was nowhere close to that, hence all film versions cut the hell out of the story, and since a lot of story elements connect this makes it incoherent and incomprehensible if you haven't read the book, since the book is better anyway just read it and skip the visuals.

That and about 70% of the book takes place in Paul's head or is about imperceptible ticks and other unfilmable things.

multilis
2009-11-05, 03:15 PM
why would you leave the note on it saying you re about to die if u eat it in the desert? i would scrape it off if i were an assassin :-)Unless the oracle hired you to kill belkar this way, and told you to leave the label on.

Edna
2009-11-05, 03:27 PM
It's been a while since I read Dune, but isn't spice withdrawal fatal? Belkar only has a limited supply...

Edna

Carnivorous_Bea
2009-11-05, 03:30 PM
Sorry for the delay? Mr. Burlew, your fine artistic work is of such a high caliber and consistently provokes such hilarity that I would gladly wait months between updates. Your work is marvelous, and I implore you to take as long as you need to make sure everything sizes up to your high standards :smallcool::smallcool::smallcool:

I agree wholeheartedly with this comment. And I'd like to add that the pause in the comics didn't make me impatient -- it made me worry that you were in the hospital with swine flu :smalleek:, but I figured I wouldn't post that for fear of it being misconstrued and locked. Glad to know the Giant's okay! :smallsmile:

badam104172
2009-11-05, 03:30 PM
shweet. and if this means the return of more frequent comics, I'm all for it!

Carnivorous_Bea
2009-11-05, 03:32 PM
It's been a while since I read Dune, but isn't spice withdrawal fatal? Belkar only has a limited supply...

Edna

Yes, spice withdrawal is fatal. :smallwink:

Scarlet Knight
2009-11-05, 03:38 PM
Don't they only get up to like 30 feet long though?

So Roy was wrong, that SHOULD be enough to drown it.

It would be if Durkon didn't keep drinking from the bottle...:smallwink:

hamishspence
2009-11-05, 03:41 PM
and this particular worm looks more than 30 ft just projecting above the ground at the moment.

Though it could be a case of either advancement to Colossal size, or rescaling (the big red fiend was much larger than a normal pit fiend, too)

Or just- size changes based on Rule of Cool. (a bit like changing Sylph and Goblins to Medium).

Woodsman
2009-11-05, 03:52 PM
OK, I now officially love the Giant.

The spice turned Belar's eys blue, just like in the books. "The Eyes of Iban."

Scarlet Knight
2009-11-05, 03:52 PM
Now I'm wondering if the spice is going to be tied to the death of Belkar...

"A fool off his guard
Could fall and fall hard
Out there on the dunes..."

CoffeeIncluded
2009-11-05, 03:53 PM
HaHA! Nice reference! :smallbiggrin:

Bibliomancer
2009-11-05, 03:56 PM
Melange makes an appearance. Does this mean that Belkar's lifespan got increased? Doubtful. Still funny, though.

Leraje
2009-11-05, 04:06 PM
Melange makes an appearance. Does this mean that Belkar's lifespan got increased? Doubtful. Still funny, though.

Yeah, I think that this was more of a passing reference than the start of a new subplot.

Bravo, Giant! :smallbiggrin:

hamishspence
2009-11-05, 04:15 PM
OK, I now officially love the Giant.

The spice turned Belar's eys blue, just like in the books. "The Eyes of Iban."

The eyes of the Ibad, yes.

phrases used in the book included:

"You've not the eyes of the Ibad. It's strange, but not entirely unattractive"

and, at the start of the same chapter- the heading:

"As his eyes assumed the blue of the Ibad, he learned the Chakobsa way"

Wolf_Plague
2009-11-05, 04:26 PM
First thing I thought about was Shai-Hulud :smallsmile:
I have seen this in my dreams... :smallcool:

AyuVince
2009-11-05, 04:35 PM
If you walk without rhythm... dammit, now I have Fatboy Slim's "Weapon of Choice" stuck in my head.

Soo... Belkar is the Kwisatz Haderach, eh? Does that mean he'll marry Jenny the Bard and become Emperor of the Universe?

Deepkicker
2009-11-05, 05:10 PM
Going by just sheer funniness, this is the best comic of the new book so far.

mistformsquirrl
2009-11-05, 05:11 PM
Hahaha <T_T>

This is WIN! (I finally read Dune last year and loved the hell out of it <._.> needless to say, this is goooood >.>)

<o_o> The spice must flow!

Kilbia
2009-11-05, 05:11 PM
No, that's the wrong song. The correct song starts:

The spice melange, it's so cinnamon sweet,
I put it on most everything I eat.
It's addictive, too,
And don't it make my brown eyes blue.

Tom Smith FTW.

Agreed! And here's the link to the song:

http://www.tomsmithonline.com/freestuff/oddio/SF02_Crystal_Gayle_128.mp3

Wreckingrocc
2009-11-05, 05:14 PM
Yes! Now Belkar might actually gain some Wisdom, and perhaps Precognition!

That was quite the winning Dune reference. Kudos to you, Mr. Burlew.
If you walk without rhythm... dammit, now I have Fatboy Slim's "Weapon of Choice" stuck in my head.

Soo... Belkar is the Kwisatz Haderach, eh? Does that mean he'll marry Jenny the Bard and become Emperor of the Universe?Nah, not all the Fremen were Kwisatz Haderach.

Calmar
2009-11-05, 05:24 PM
I wonder if Belkar will become seriously addicted to the Spice... :smallwink:

http://jonudell.net/talks/lib2020/Guild_Navigator.jpg

Johnny Blade
2009-11-05, 05:28 PM
So, judging by the comments on this page, I guess I'm pretty much alone saying that I found this reference way too forced to be funny?

Samuraiko
2009-11-05, 05:40 PM
While I get that the primary reference is to DUNE, was anyone else besides me waiting for Beetlejuice to show up riding on the back of the sandworm?

Michelle
aka
Samuraiko

Siosilvar
2009-11-05, 06:20 PM
I'm disappointed in you, Rich. *shakes head* :smallbiggrin:

Hague
2009-11-05, 06:27 PM
I predict several Ride checks in the next few panels. Purple worms are tameable and rideable mounts, no? I guess Belkar might be a bit too small for that to work though.

Tordek
2009-11-05, 06:35 PM
Awesome. Who among us DM's doesn't remember fondly dropping non-TSR monsters into our campaigns?

The Vorpal Tribble
2009-11-05, 06:36 PM
So, uh, is this gonna make Belkar a future psychic? Just curious...

Dr Bwaa
2009-11-05, 06:42 PM
I predict several Ride checks in the next few panels. Purple worms are tameable and rideable mounts, no? I guess Belkar might be a bit too small for that to work though.

He just needs a couple of maker hooks. (That's what they were called, right?)

A+, Rich.

nli10
2009-11-05, 07:11 PM
You see FIlm references & monsters - I see XP :D

Atronach
2009-11-05, 07:48 PM
Should we not see both?

Shatteredtower
2009-11-05, 08:02 PM
Nice to see a Durkon punchline. A lot of nice stuff in that strip. Not so big on including a Dune reference so significantly, rather than in something of a more passing nature, but if it's made so many people happy, it's good. Still, I'll be relieved if the blue eyes go away once this encounter is over.

(Bonus points if this strip is a cutaway scene leading to a few weeks with another group, and we don't come back to the party until it's well past resolved.)

As for the rhythmic stepping, that had to be Elan's doing.

Finally, I doubt we'll be seeing this result in Belkar vs. Oracle any time soon.

DracoDei
2009-11-05, 08:04 PM
You know this makes me wonder, has anyone statted up a Shai'hulud for 3.5? Purple worms are nice and all, but they're nowhere near as big as the sandworms of Arrakis.

Google this site for "Force-hunter Sandworm" or some varient of the same letters in the same order, but with different spaces and/or dashes and/or nothings and you will find something close...

Cleverdan22
2009-11-05, 08:39 PM
By "hypothetically," do you mean on toast? Awesome. Great comic, Rich.

Shmigor
2009-11-05, 08:56 PM
It took me like five read-throughs to get "does hypothetically mean on toast". Lol, fantastic.

Cisturn
2009-11-05, 08:58 PM
did anyone notice Haley's dirty look in panel 3, anyone think she might have a cuter sister?

rgrekejin
2009-11-05, 08:59 PM
So, judging by the comments on this page, I guess I'm pretty much alone saying that I found this reference way too forced to be funny?

Nah, I'm with you on this. However, I also appear to be in the minority of science fiction fans who thought Dune was merely okay, so my opinion may not count for much. That said, I think I'd still find the reference forced whether I loved Dune or not.

Oshirokita
2009-11-05, 09:04 PM
Ha ha, great comic! I had been waiting (& waiting...) for the new one and finally it comes. Reading the title I didn't even think about a Dune reference, just thought it was fitting after a long break. However, as soon as I saw Belkar I knew Dune references were coming too (spice, etc). Awesome!