PDA

View Full Version : So is DnDOG really this bad?

Pika...
2009-11-05, 07:59 AM
So someone in my group might want to run a PbP game. Although I am not a fan of PbP games, I am looking online for info and places for this kind of stuff.

Hitting up the Tabletop Games forum on my favorite chan (old #7), I found this stickied:

This thread concerns the people who are involved in my PbP game on DnDOG. Well, I guess it also concerns everybody else, but mostly just those people.

I'm really dissatisfied with the way I was treated over there. In case you missed it, the IRC Night Planning thread was closed and locked because some butthurt mod over there felt that a private, free IRC chatroom would somehow compete monetarily (???) with their precious website. He decided to shut it down without so much as speaking with me, citing a global rule that clearly stated ONLY that advertising other Play by Post sites was not allowed, and did not mention IRC. When I called him on the rule, he went and changed it just for me (thanks a lot, xxxxx!). Then, after a day or so, he decided he'd like to issue me a site warning as well, and threatened me with bans and all sorts of penalties, and said "I'm being lenient with you" like I'm supposed to bend over and thank him for his mercy. Then he got the admins involved. Meanwhile, I'm being nothing but polite, trying to salvage whatever cred I still have over there. Nobody really gave a xxxx what I thought, so I guess my politeness was wasted, which sucks, because it takes a lot of effort for me to be polite to idiots.

Come to find out, he had his panties in a bunch over some comment 3d12 made about the censoring on the site. Mama's precious baby took it personally. Also, I'm pretty sure the fact that I'm not a Community Supporter (donater) had a lot to do with the way I was treated, like I'm some riffraff troublemaker that's only there to ruin their little website. I've decided that they really don't care about their free users, and want only to protect their insular community and keep everyone else out.

So, to this end, I am giving the finger to DnDOG and putting the game on hold for a little while. When I become involved with a browser game, or even a website that I really like, I usually end up donating. I was going to donate to DnDOG, but they ruined that. So, I'll take that donation money and host my own site. <snip for the children>

So we're on hold for a bit while I get this up and running. I'll sticky this announcement, and I'll keep you informed. I expect a maximum of two week's time to get this going.

What I need for you to do is make sure your characters are saved somewhere. I've got all the adventure info on my home PC, including your HP and progress and whatnot.

Keep your eyes on this thread for updates, and until we start up again, I want to thank you guys for what has been, until now, a very enjoyable game.

So anyone here use them? If so, are they really this bad?

estradling
2009-11-05, 09:44 AM
I've played on that site on and off for years... I have had no problems, in fact without looking I couldn't tell you what the mods screennames are.

As for your question 'are they really that bad' that depends on what you mean? The facts presented in the quote undoubtedly did happen... However the interpretation and motivations are only being given from one side so that could change things drastically.

The quote you gave boils down to a disagreement on site policy. The DnDOG site does not allow any Advertisements for games not on DnDOG. People might think that this is a stupid rule. I don't like it myself. But the owners and admins have not backed down. In fact they make it pretty clear that it is a rule.

I can almost promise you that the mods get a lot of flack for this rule. I would imagine that they get tired of people trying to weasel around it.

The quoted guy broke the rules. He used the site to point people to his IRC chatroom for games. Then in his protest he didn't apologize; he tried to rule-lawyer them. Instead of trying to live by the intent of the policy, he tried to exploit a loop-hole. The mod listened to his argument and then instead of allowing the exploit he closed the loop-hole and things went down hill from there.

Is that bad? That is something you have to decide. If the quoted guy wasn't talking sour grapes, he was finding is good enough to consider paying for until he ran afoul the policy.

Glimbur
2009-11-05, 10:51 AM
Does DnDOG stand for D&D Original Gangster? Because that Follower of Looney (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Patrick_Looney) PrC is incredibly imbalanced.