PDA

View Full Version : Skill Boosting Items (3.5)

Eric Phail
2009-11-05, 08:47 AM
In an idea for a new character for a planescape game
(Tranmuter 2, Master Transmuter 4, Incantatrix 4) a question occurs

Where do you find items of +x to a skill and how much do they cost?

My character wishes to use metamagic effect to stay under a persisted alter self effect (for fluff reasons) and will need +10 at least (ideally +15)

Curmudgeon
2009-11-05, 08:56 AM
You don't find them; these are custom magic items. You find a crafter and commission the creation of such an item. The cost is given in the Dungeon Master's Guide; it's Bonus2 x 100 gp.

Eric Phail
2009-11-05, 08:59 AM
Thank you. Couldn't remember for the life of me

deuxhero
2009-11-05, 05:13 PM
Note that there are a few that get better options. Hat of Disguise for instance is effectively +10 to a disguise check (and stacks with a +disguise giving item proper).

Darrin
2009-11-05, 05:15 PM
In an idea for a new character for a planescape game
(Tranmuter 2, Master Transmuter 4, Incantatrix 4) a question occurs

Where do you find items of +x to a skill and how much do they cost?

My character wishes to use metamagic effect to stay under a persisted alter self effect (for fluff reasons) and will need +10 at least (ideally +15)

I take it you're trying to use Spellcraft to apply Persistent to an ongoing magic effect?

There aren't a lot of +x Spellcraft items, although there are a few feats that can help with Spellcraft, beyond Skill Focus and Magical Aptitude. Devil's Favor (FCII), Shape Soulmeld: Mage's Spectacles/Lucky Dice (MoI), Spellwise (PGtF), Precocious Apprentice (CArc), Arcane Focus + Magical Insight (Dragon 351), and a handful of various regional and initiate feats that give a few bonuses here and there.

I was just working on an NPC doppelganger wizard for my players to go up against, and needed to go into Incantatrix to set up some persisted illusions/traps, and here's another trick I used for nailing those really high DCs: find a cleric buddy who can cast Guidance of the Avatar (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/sb/sb20010504a) on you, or buy the potions for 300 GP. +20 competence bonus on a skill check of your choice.