PDA

View Full Version : Bard/Swiftblade/Arcane Duelist build help

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-11-05, 10:38 AM
Ok, I've been thinking of how exactly to combine these classes, as my usual recommendation just doesn't feel right.

Now, 2 levels of arcane duelist are good for the Cha bonus to AC, and we only need 9 levels of Swiftblade because the 10th gives and ability the Bard can't use, so what do we do with the 9 class levels left?

Bard 9 for Inspire Greatness and IC +2? Or do we mix in a level of Spellsword at some point?

What do you think?

tonberrian
2009-11-05, 10:46 AM
I personally like using Sublime Chord with a bard Swiftblade. You don't get 9th level spells if you go all the way with Swiftblade, but it is better than bard casting. The only problem is that you don't start getting Swiftblade's good abilities till late game. Progression is basically bard/stuff/Swiftblade 1 (first CL dropped on Bard, not SC)/Sublime Chord 1/Swiftblade x.

Glimbur
2009-11-05, 10:53 AM
Are we building all the way to level 20?

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-11-05, 11:25 AM
I personally like using Sublime Chord with a bard Swiftblade. You don't get 9th level spells if you go all the way with Swiftblade, but it is better than bard casting. The only problem is that you don't start getting Swiftblade's good abilities till late game. Progression is basically bard/stuff/Swiftblade 1 (first CL dropped on Bard, not SC)/Sublime Chord 1/Swiftblade x.In that case, I'd take as many levels of Swiftblade as possible before hitting SC. Bard 8/Swiftblade 2/SC 2/Swiftblade 9/anything 1. You lose 2 levels of SC casting, but get full Swiftblade benefits.

ErrantX
2009-11-05, 11:30 AM
Something like:

Bard 8 / Arcane Duelist 2 / Sublime Chord 1 / Swiftblade 9

That'd net you a BAB of +16, 3rd level bard magic, 7 levels of Sublime Chord casting, Charisma to AC, all the fun Swiftblade neatness.

Is that what you were looking for?

-X

tonberrian
2009-11-05, 11:34 AM
Something like:

Bard 8 / Arcane Duelist 2 / Sublime Chord 1 / Swiftblade 9

That'd net you a BAB of +16, 3rd level bard magic, 7 levels of Sublime Chord casting, Charisma to AC, all the fun Swiftblade neatness.

Is that what you were looking for?

-X

Better would be Bard 7/ Arcane Duelist 2/ Swiftblade 1/Sublime Chord 1/ Swiftblade +8/Something 1, I think.

ErrantX
2009-11-05, 11:41 AM
Better would be Bard 7/ Arcane Duelist 2/ Swiftblade 1/Sublime Chord 1/ Swiftblade +8/Something 1, I think.

Can't do it, need a +6 BAB for craptastic Arcane Duelist. Bard 8 will get you that. And you don't wanna give up Swiftblade 9, it's too damn good.

-X

Eldariel
2009-11-05, 12:03 PM
Can't do it, need a +6 BAB for craptastic Arcane Duelist. Bard 8 will get you that. And you don't wanna give up Swiftblade 9, it's too damn good.

-X

Take Swiftblade first. Duh.

ErrantX
2009-11-05, 12:15 PM
Take Swiftblade first. Duh.

How rude.

Anyway, if you take Swiftblade, barring feat choices that somehow get your Perform in class (as it's not for Swiftblade but is for Arcane Duelist) you can't get Sublime Chord in there. If you weren't going for Sublime Chord it's not an issue. I'd still get the Arcane Duelist levels in before Swiftblade myself, the Charisma to AC will benefit you for your entire career so may as well get it earlier. Barring that, you could just do Bard 7 / Swiftblade 1 / Arcane Duelist 2 / Swiftblade +8 / Lyric Thaumaturge (maybe) 2.

-X

Eldariel
2009-11-05, 02:52 PM
How rude.

Anyway, if you take Swiftblade, barring feat choices that somehow get your Perform in class (as it's not for Swiftblade but is for Arcane Duelist) you can't get Sublime Chord in there.

Uhm? A skill that's ever been in class for you always counts max ranks as if it were in class; even without feats, it just costs you an extra skill point. I daresay 1 skill point isn't going to kill you. Not that it matters though, you're going Bard 7/Swiftblade 1/Arcane Duelist 2 anyways so you get Arcane Duelist-levels before Sublime Chord.

Therefore you can just not up Perform on your Swiftblade-level and max it on Arcane Duelist-levels, thus saving a skillpoint. Listen is gonna cost a bit since it's in class for Swiftblade but not Duelist, but meh. You've got 4+Int points in all classes so you're fine; just cross-class it. Given those two are the only 13s needed to enter, you can afford it. Easily, even.

If you weren't going for Sublime Chord it's not an issue. I'd still get the Arcane Duelist levels in before Swiftblade myself, the Charisma to AC will benefit you for your entire career so may as well get it earlier. Barring that, you could just do Bard 7 / Swiftblade 1 / Arcane Duelist 2 / Swiftblade +8 / Lyric Thaumaturge (maybe) 2.

-X

Bard 7/Swiftblade 1/Arcane Duelist 2/Sublime Chord 2/Swiftblade +8

Best I can see making of this idea. Doesn't get 9th level spells though. May actually be better off as a Sublime Chord 1/Swiftblade +9 to get at least something resembling a 9th level spell. Either way, your BAB is nice, round 16. So that part is all good. Also, you're a Swiftblade which is also pretty good.

By the way, this information costs you 599 US lifepoints. RIIIDGE RACER!

Oh yeah, and with early entry trickery, Bard 4/Swiftblade 4/Arcane Duelist 2/Sublime Chord 2/Swiftblade +5/Abjurant Champion 3 gets you 9th level spells in the deal. I don't think it's possible to get 9th level spells, Arcane Duelist & Innervated Speed though, unfortunately.