PDA

View Full Version : Rogue magic in PF

Chromat
2009-11-05, 12:34 PM
In Pathfinder rogue can take minor and major magic rogue talents ( something like rogue feats)
minor gives 0-level spell twice a day
major gives 1 level spell twice a day and you must have minor magic talent.

Is this worth taking? Because it seems same to me as buying and UMD-ing 2 eternal wands, and instead of that there are also some other nice things to take like bleeding sneak attacks or some combat feat.

LibraryOgre
2009-11-05, 12:39 PM
In Pathfinder rogue can take minor and major magic rogue talents ( something like rogue feats)
minor gives 0-level spell twice a day
major gives 1 level spell twice a day and you must have minor magic talent.

Is this worth taking? Because it seems same to me as buying and UMD-ing 2 eternal wands, and instead of that there are also some other nice things to take like bleeding sneak attacks or some combat feat.

It can be, for some concepts; mechanically, it's probably sub-optimal.

subject42
2009-11-05, 01:06 PM

I think that it really depends on how often your DM likes to take your characters and dump them naked and tied up in a prison cell. If the answer is "more than never", it might be worth it to take mage hand and animate rope.

The Gilded Duke
2009-11-05, 01:10 PM
For 0 level:
Ghost Sound, for distracting guards etc while hiding.
Message, for talking with party members while hiding

For 1st level:
True Strike for when you need to hit
Grease for setting up sneak attacks
Obscuring Mist for getting away
Disguise Self
Silent Image for Everything

Epinephrine
2009-11-05, 01:17 PM
Might be handy to qualify for certain classes or abilities?

Gametime
2009-11-05, 01:20 PM
It's not a must-take, but for some builds it's really helpful. Also depends a lot on how accessible magic items are in your game, and if your group is ONLY using the Pathfinder list/custom items.

Akal Saris
2009-11-05, 02:13 PM
It's been popular with my PF group, and I haven't really had the heart to tell them that it's probably not worth it mechanically.

One PC used it to get prestigitation, which he used to clean himself off when he got hit by a bucket full of chum (the enemy wanted to attract sharks and make the PC fall off of a ship) - so even the minor talent has come in handy.

If I were taking it, I think these would be my choices:

0-level: Prestigitation
1st level: Shield

arguskos
2009-11-05, 06:15 PM
I like it. I'd probably take some SA enabler with the level 0, like Ray of Frost, and probably take True Strike with the level 1. That way, I always have an ace in the hole. :smallamused:

Rixx
2009-11-05, 06:33 PM
Shocking Grasp with Sneak Attack, for those of you who are fans of six sided dice.