PDA

View Full Version : Are you conversationally fluent in a (non-English) written language?

AstralFire
2009-11-05, 02:30 PM
Do you have some spare time? Great!

The Anteheroes (http://theanteheroes.com/) is currently looking for people capable of rewriting the comic script in other languages. We're new, so there's not much to translate and it won't take a big chunk of your time if you get on board now. We currently have the following languages covered:

- English
- German (co-author is German)

For now, things are limited to a mere transcript. Eventually, we'd like to actually re-letter the pages in these other languages, since reading a transcript is far less engaging than reading it in the balloons, especially for people who read right-to-left. I'll also be working on seeing if I can actually make the entire website in multiple languages, but that is very likely out of my reach.

Thanks for your time!

Morty
2009-11-05, 02:32 PM
I suppose I could transcribe it into Polish, if you'd like to have a Polish transcript.

Hadessniper
2009-11-05, 02:33 PM
Onlyway ifway ouyay ountcay igpay atinlay, ichwhay ouyay obablypray on'tday
Only if you count Pig Latin which you probably don't

AstralFire
2009-11-05, 02:33 PM
I suppose I could transcribe it into Polish, if you'd like to have a Polish transcript.

Polish would be great. By what method can I contact you off of the boards? I prefer messengers or IRC to posting.

Morty
2009-11-05, 02:39 PM
Polish would be great. By what method can I contact you off of the boards? I prefer messengers or IRC to posting.

I don't have any sort of messenger except from a Polish one, I'm afraid. Before I get myself one or you decide to use the one I have, my email is [email protected].

AstralFire
2009-11-05, 02:42 PM
I don't have any sort of messenger except from a Polish one, I'm afraid. Before I get myself one or you decide to use the one I have, my email is [email protected].

Alright, I will get in touch with you tonight or tomorrow for scripts; I have to start getting ready for work right now, though. I appreciate it very much. :)

Dallas-Dakota
2009-11-05, 02:56 PM
Interested native Dutch speaker here.

My english is near-native, I have a average of C1, if you know the A1 - C2(A1 being lowest, C2 being native speaker) by that system. Most people here can also confirm that my english is pretty good.

I remember you posting something about the comic some time ago, but there really wasn't much back then. Good to see this getting up.

Please contact me at either my msn:
[email protected] (which is also one of my e-mail adresses)
or my other e-mail
[email protected]

The Rose Dragon
2009-11-05, 03:27 PM
I can translate it into Turkish!

((Would you want me to, however?))

The Dark Fiddler
2009-11-05, 03:36 PM
...define conversationally?

I've been studying Spanish, and I'd likely be able to make them understandable... but there's tons of people that would be better choices than I am.

Thatguyoverther
2009-11-05, 05:13 PM
Does Pig Latin count? Otherwise no.

AstralFire
2009-11-06, 12:46 AM
...define conversationally?

I've been studying Spanish, and I'd likely be able to make them understandable... but there's tons of people that would be better choices than I am.

'Culturally informed and able to make use of as well as understand slang, jokes and socio-cultural references in casual conversation.' There are a number of puns and symbols I'll be using throughout the writing for which I want a native speaker; otherwise, I'd be doing a French translation personally.

Pig-Latin doesn't count, no. :smallamused: If anyone wants to do Klingon or Esperanto, though, be my guest. I've now sent out emails to all people who have indicated interest (The Rose Dragon, I sent yours to your MSN IM address). I'll send out another tomorrow, after I've started setting up the subsites.

Kallisti
2009-11-06, 12:54 AM
Darths&Droids has translations in Pirate, Poetic, and Zero Wing. Do any of those count? Because I can do Pirate and Poetic.

AstralFire
2009-11-06, 12:55 AM
I'm not going to spend time relettering pages in Pirate, Shakespearean Prose, or Zero Wing. :P

Solaris
2009-11-06, 01:02 AM
Interested native Dutch speaker here.

My english is near-native, I have a average of C1, if you know the A1 - C2(A1 being lowest, C2 being native speaker) by that system. Most people here can also confirm that my english is pretty good.

I remember you posting something about the comic some time ago, but there really wasn't much back then. Good to see this getting up.

Please contact me at either my msn:
[email protected] (which is also one of my e-mail adresses)
or my other e-mail
[email protected]

... Out of curiosity, is C2 defined at least in part as "Speaking it more poorly than a C1"?
Heheheheh. Me talk English good.

Kallisti
2009-11-06, 01:21 AM
I'm not going to spend time relettering pages in Pirate, Shakespearean Prose, or Zero Wing. :P

Not Shakespearean-poetic. They made the first couple strips into poems--all of the dialogue and description. It was awesome.

Lissou
2009-11-06, 01:54 AM
I am French and could potentially translate the comic into French, but...

Translation can very much be about context. Translating without any "buffer" to make sure the translation is accurate would be tricky. I'm also not sure how often it would update for instance, and how fast the translations would be needed.

So I guess that's a "maybe" for French. I have to confess, it's not a very strong maybe, as I like to make sure I enjoy things that I translate (makes the translations better) and it's hard to judge on only 2 pages.

But thanks for thinking of other languages so early on.

AstralFire
2009-11-06, 01:59 AM
Heh, I was actually thinking about you; I know you do it for OotS and I'm a slight francophile, so I'd like to see it done in that language. (Other specific targets: Spanish, due to population; Japanese, due to the fact that there are a lot of Japanese on the interwebs; Korean, because I'm half; Chinese, for same reason as Spanish.) I write scripts well ahead of time and have a general plot mapped out. The email I just sent to the translators was actually me noting small things about names and titles that may prove tricky to translate. I'm 'into' working with translators so that they can do proper localization.

The comic updates twice a week, but I understand reluctance before seeing whether or not you'll like it. I, of course, hope everyone will like it but that's a pipe dream. (Even if one worth pursuing.)

skywalker
2009-11-06, 02:00 AM
Would probably be capable of doing this into Spanish, at a very, very slow rate. Of course, if the comic is going slow... Maybe could keep up. Depends. How strong/long of a commitment are you looking for?

AstralFire
2009-11-06, 02:04 AM
This will be an unpaid position, and I won't be advertising on any foreign sites for a long time, most likely, meaning that visitors monolingual in a non-English language will be rarer. (Owes something to me not being able to talk fluently with most of the people who would sell such space, and me being broke as a joke.) As a result, language translation is something 'nice to have' that I am willing to put effort into, but I do not expect too much in the way of dedication from others.

The comic updates twice a week. We'll eventually move to three times a week once Domo gets more comfortable with drawing at a brisk pace; that's going to be a while since we're still rushing to get our two a week done.

Lissou
2009-11-06, 02:16 AM
I write scripts well ahead of time and have a general plot mapped out. The email I just sent to the translators was actually me noting small things about names and titles that may prove tricky to translate. I'm 'into' working with translators so that they can do proper localization.

The comic updates twice a week, but I understand reluctance before seeing whether or not you'll like it. I, of course, hope everyone will like it but that's a pipe dream. (Even if one worth pursuing.)

I feel reassured :).
Two updates a week seems quite feasible (especially if you keep the same amount of dialogue as before :P) and three would be okay too (since you want to switch).
I'd love to get your pitch email (do you need me to send you my email address in a PM?) and give it a try.

AstralFire
2009-11-06, 02:25 AM
Yes, please do. I'm about to go to bed for the night, though, and when I forward the email I won't be bundling in the comic scripts yet. That's primarily because I have to update my script notes - they're not accurate to the final dialogue used in the page storyboards - and I am really tired right now.

EDIT: That is something to note. I write scripts ahead of time, but there's always a bit of a disconnect between my head and Domo's pen, so I often end up making tweaks to the dialogue to better fit his illustrations. I'll provide scripts well in advance of the finished pages so that translators will know where I'm going with something, but working too far ahead (basically, the point where we only have scripts and no storyboard) isn't a good idea.

The Rose Dragon
2009-11-06, 07:53 AM
By the way, you do have the pages without the speech boxes, I presume. Because the Turkish translation may not always fit those small boxes.

Dallas-Dakota
2009-11-06, 07:57 AM
I think Astral/Domo want to re-letter the pages theirselves, with us providing the translated script.

Though I could easily re-letter the pages if you give me a unlettered version of the pages in some kind of file.

What kind of art Program does Domo use?
Ah, you both use Photoshop, I can work with Photoshop(or many other a art program)

... Out of curiosity, is C2 defined at least in part as "Speaking it more poorly than a C1"?
Heheheheh. Me talk English good.
C2 is the highest you can get. Sadly, the language part of my college is pretty bad and also doesn't offer classes at the level of C1 or C2.

Domochevsky
2009-11-06, 10:58 AM
What kind of art Program does Domo use?
Ah, you both use Photoshop, I can work with Photoshop(or many other a art program)

No, AstralFire uses Photoshop. I use openCanvas. But since Astral does the lettering on PNG files i send him that shouldn't be an issue.
But i think the script alone will suffice. :smallsmile:

KuReshtin
2009-11-06, 11:32 AM
I might potentially be interested.
Native Swedish speaker.
That is, of course if you want the translation done in a relatively miniscule language.

Arakune
2009-11-06, 11:51 AM
Portuguese.

In my case is, "are you conversationally fluent in English?". The answer is "barely". Al Hail Google for it's (near) infinite knowledge!

AstralFire
2009-11-06, 01:10 PM
By the way, you do have the pages without the speech boxes, I presume. Because the Turkish translation may not always fit those small boxes.

I do. However, I would like to handle lettering unless you have the ability to work in a photoshop file format, since I do layer effects and such to get the slight translucency and shadowing of the balloons. If you CAN work in .psd and would like to do it yourself, let me know; takes a little bit of work off of me.

I might potentially be interested.
Native Swedish speaker.
That is, of course if you want the translation done in a relatively miniscule language.

People should be able to read in any language they feel most comfortable in. I will likely only draw the line at languages I haven't heard of, due to concerns for storage/processing/bandwidth, as I'll have to make mirror sites. Subsites may or may not go up today; I get my paycheck, and I have to decide if I want to spend now or wait for the next one to upgrade hosting, and moving multiple sites to a new server is much more headachey than one. My current plan is really quite sufficient for the near future, but this one is more cost-efficient in the long run, so it depends on what my budget looks like.

Portuguese.

In my case is, "are you conversationally fluent in English?". The answer is "barely". Al Hail Google for it's (near) infinite knowledge!

Well, I'm trying to take care to explain things carefully, so I don't -think- a communication disconnect between us will be an issue here.

Ara, KuR, contact info?

Arakune
2009-11-06, 03:44 PM
I do. However, I would like to handle lettering unless you have the ability to work in a photoshop file format, since I do layer effects and such to get the slight translucency and shadowing of the balloons. If you CAN work in .psd and would like to do it yourself, let me know; takes a little bit of work off of me.

People should be able to read in any language they feel most comfortable in. I will likely only draw the line at languages I haven't heard of, due to concerns for storage/processing/bandwidth, as I'll have to make mirror sites. Subsites may or may not go up today; I get my paycheck, and I have to decide if I want to spend now or wait for the next one to upgrade hosting, and moving multiple sites to a new server is much more headachey than one. My current plan is really quite sufficient for the near future, but this one is more cost-efficient in the long run, so it depends on what my budget looks like.

Well, I'm trying to take care to explain things carefully, so I don't -think- a communication disconnect between us will be an issue here.

Ara, KuR, contact info?

In my case I have a lot to do this semester, so I can't help you right now ><.

DraPrime
2009-11-06, 03:47 PM

Damnit, you beat me to it.

Ikialev
2009-11-06, 04:17 PM
I speak polish, but they've beaten me to it. twice.

Spiryt
2009-11-06, 04:31 PM
Dragonprime can be a consultant. And earn more.

And Il'deav Ilah'naie can be consultant's consultant. And earn the most.

That's how it works.

DraPrime
2009-11-06, 04:35 PM
Dragonprime can be a consultant. And earn more.

And Il'deav Ilah'naie can be consultant's consultant. And earn the most.

That's how it works.

I like your thinking. Except for the part where I don't earn the most.

AstralFire
2009-11-06, 05:25 PM
I shall live on a shoestring budget so that I can get these subsites up with fewer complications. Once my money registers as 'valid' (don't you love when your balance is one thing and your available money is another?), I'll purchase the new hosting package and begin transferring the site over, as well as making the subsites there.

Translators, expect to receive the scripts in the mail by the end of today.

AstralFire
2009-11-06, 11:07 PM
And sent. No big rush, but I wanted you to have them. Let me know if/when you need more information.