PDA

View Full Version : List of Ray spells

yilduz
2009-11-05, 10:57 PM
Does anyone know of a place I can find a spell list that can be organized in such a way that I can see all spells that are ray spells, or whatever criteria I want to organize by?

I've been searching through Google and can't find what I'm looking for.

Douglas
2009-11-05, 11:00 PM
Try this (http://www.imarvintpa.com/dndLive/FindSpell.php). It is, unfortunately, often slow and seems to be down at the moment, but it's exactly what you're looking for.

yilduz
2009-11-05, 11:02 PM
Try this (http://www.imarvintpa.com/dndLive/FindSpell.php). It is, unfortunately, often slow and seems to be down at the moment, but it's exactly what you're looking for.

It's not loading for me - but I'll keep it bookmarked and check it later. I appreciate it very much, thank you. ;)

Thurbane
2009-11-05, 11:14 PM
Here's a list I complied for an NPC I was making, but it's only Sorc/Wiz, and I'm not sure if it's comprehensive:

0 Disrupt Undead PHB
0 Electric Jolt SC
0 Ray of Frost PHB
1 Light of Lunia SC
1 Ray of Clumsiness SC
1 Ray of Enfeeblement PHB
1 Ray of Flame SC
1 Targeting Ray SC
2 Blast of Force SC
2 Distracting Ray SC
2 Life Bolt SC
2 Light of Mercuria SC
2 Rainbow Beam SC
2 Ray of Ice SC
2 Ray of Sickness SC
2 Ray of Stupidity SC
2 Ray of Weakness SC
2 Scale Weakening SC
2 Scorching Ray PHB
2 Seeking Ray PHB II
2 Sting Ray SC
3 Disrupt Undead, Greater SC
3 Light of Venya SC
3 Ray of Dizziness SC
3 Ray of Exhaustion PHB
3 Ray of the Python PHB II
3 Rust Ray SC
4 Dimensional Anchor PHB
4 Enervation PHB
4 Ray of Deanimation SC
5 Lucent Lance SC
5 Prismatic Ray SC
6 Disintegrate PHB
6 Ray of Entropy SC
6 Ray of Light SC
6 Ruby Ray of Reversal SC
7 Antimagic Ray SC
7 Avasculate SC
7 Energy Ebb SC
7 Prismatic Eye SC
7 Stun Ray SC
8 Avascular Mass SC
8 Blackfire SC
8 Polar Ray PHB
9 Energy Drain PHB

Eloel
2009-11-06, 01:57 AM
There's also Fireball, Lightning Bolt, Wings of Force, and a few other ray spells.

Complete Scoundrel FTW

Thurbane
2009-11-06, 05:13 PM
There's also Fireball, Lightning Bolt, Wings of Force, and a few other ray spells.

Complete Scoundrel FTW
Erm, I'm confused - are you talking about the Spellwarp Sniper?

Keld Denar
2009-11-06, 06:28 PM
Yea, he probably is.

You might want to go through Complete Mage and add those. I know Escalating Enfeeblement is a ray from there.

Usually when I'm statting out a wizard, my 4 main sources are PHB, PHBII, SpC, and Complete Mage. Most spells outside of that are either crap, or so good that I already know about them and don't need to brouse.

herrhauptmann
2009-11-06, 06:39 PM

Complete Scoundrel FTW

Umm, don't the fireball and lightning bolt count as area effect spells, not ray? For one thing, I thought a defining feature of rays was that they required ranged touch attacks.

Anyway, here's an option http://www.crystalkeep.com/d20/index.php You can download all the pdf for use on your computer without internet connection. And it's a little less than ideal, but adobe does have a search function.

Keld Denar
2009-11-06, 06:46 PM
Umm, don't the fireball and lightning bolt count as area effect spells, not ray? For one thing, I thought a defining feature of rays was that they required ranged touch attacks.

He was making a joke about the Spellwarped Sniper's ability to convert any area spell with a reflex save into a ray. This increases the number of "effective" rays in the game by about 2.5x.

And the defining feature of a ray is the Effect: Ray line. Lots of spells have RTAs, and most of them aren't rays. All of the orbs are RTAs, yet not rays. Viscid Glob (love this spell) is an RTA, but definitely not a ray. Meteor Swarm has 4 RTAs, but still isn't a ray.

So, all rays have RTAs, but not all RTAs are rays. Would you like a Venn Diagram?

herrhauptmann
2009-11-06, 06:48 PM
He was making a joke about the Spellwarped Sniper's ability to convert any area spell with a reflex save into a ray. This increases the number of "effective" rays in the game by about 2.5x.

And the defining feature of a ray is the Effect: Ray line. Lots of spells have RTAs, and most of them aren't rays. All of the orbs are RTAs, yet not rays. Viscid Glob (love this spell) is an RTA, but definitely not a ray. Meteor Swarm has 4 RTAs, but still isn't a ray.

So, all rays have RTAs, but not all RTAs are rays. Would you like a Venn Diagram?

Ahh, didn't know that feature of the spellwarp sniper.
And no smartass, I don't need a diagram about ranged touch attacks. I never said a ranged touch made it a ray.

Foryn Gilnith
2009-11-06, 06:51 PM
And no smartass

Overreaction much?

ken-do-nim
2009-11-06, 07:14 PM
Are they all close range?

As far as I can tell, the only non-close ranged touch attack in the game is the Archmage Arcane Fire that we all loathe but I'm determined to make useful (for an NPC) someday.