PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 crit question

newfrickinshow
2009-11-06, 07:23 AM
Hey this past week there was a little verbal squabble during our session about crits and was wondering what the rule is and where I can find it. I casted Rhino's Rush as a swift action to double charge damage and then charged. Rolled a crit with my +1 keen falchion and confirmed. The general debate was does the damage go to X3 or 4. Answer and source would be appreciated, thank you.

AslanCross
2009-11-06, 07:44 AM
Hey this past week there was a little verbal squabble during our session about crits and was wondering what the rule is and where I can find it. I casted Rhino's Rush as a swift action to double charge damage and then charged. Rolled a crit with my +1 keen falchion and confirmed. The general debate was does the damage go to X3 or 4. Answer and source would be appreciated, thank you.

I've probably been ninja'd by now, but here's the SRD's quote on multipliers:

Sometimes a rule makes you multiply a number or a die roll. As long as you’re applying a single multiplier, multiply the number normally. When two or more multipliers apply to any abstract value (such as a modifier or a die roll), however, combine them into a single multiple, with each extra multiple adding 1 less than its value to the first multiple. Thus, a double (×2) and a double (×2) applied to the same number results in a triple (×3, because 2 + 1 = 3).

When applying multipliers to real-world values (such as weight or distance), normal rules of math apply instead. A creature whose size doubles (thus multiplying its weight by 8) and then is turned to stone (which would multiply its weight by a factor of roughly 3) now weighs about 24 times normal, not 10 times normal. Similarly, a blinded creature attempting to negotiate difficult terrain would count each square as 4 squares (doubling the cost twice, for a total multiplier of ×4), rather than as 3 squares (adding 100% twice).

Curmudgeon
2009-11-06, 07:44 AM
It doesn't matter why you're multiplying damage; you always follow the same rules:
Multiplying

Sometimes a rule makes you multiply a number or a die roll. As long as you’re applying a single multiplier, multiply the number normally. When two or more multipliers apply to any abstract value (such as a modifier or a die roll), however, combine them into a single multiple, with each extra multiple adding 1 less than its value to the first multiple. Thus, a double (×2) and a double (×2) applied to the same number results in a triple (×3, because 2 + 1 = 3).
Multiplying Damage

Sometimes you multiply damage by some factor, such as on a critical hit. Roll the damage (with all modifiers) multiple times and total the results. Note: When you multiply damage more than once, each multiplier works off the original, unmultiplied damage.