PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] PEACH Fey monster without a name.

MoelVermillion
2009-11-06, 12:48 PM
Hello playground, this is my first attempt at a homebrew so if I've done anything wrong please let me know. The monster currently goes without a name so if you have any suggestions I'd love to hear them. I'm also not sure what to put this monster's CR at as it has an extremely nasty special attack but not much else going for it so if you could advice me on what to give it that would be great. The idea behind this monster is that its a race of xenophobic fey who would rather turn the other races into forest creatures then risk having them destroy the forest.

This small being would perfectly match the appearance of a pixie if it was not so much smaller. Upon noticing you it appears to size you up before beginning to utter an enchantment.

The [Name] are a suspicious and extremist breed of fey that reside in deep woods. The [Name] believe that the humanoid races are a threat to their forest homes and have taken it upon themselves to become the wood’s guardian. The [Name] deal with their perceived threats by using their magic to turn them into creatures they believe are friends of the forest. The [Name] usually patrol their forests in small gangs that look for intruders, upon encountering an intruder the gang will swoop down and attempt to use their baleful polymorph ability to turn them into the form of an animal native to the forest. The [Name] will only use their weapons as a last line of defense as they would much rather convert a threat then kill it. A humanoid with a deep relation to nature such as an elf or druid will usually not be seen as threats to the [Name] though they may earn that reputation if they are caught defending other humanoids. While the [Name] are usually content just to patrol their forests it is not unheard of for them to make raids on nearby villages.

Name
Tiny Fey
HD5 d6 +1(22.5)
Speed 15 ft. (3 squares); Fly 60 ft. (good)
Init: +6
AC 16 (+2 size, +4 Dex); touch 14; flat-footed 12
BAB +2; Grp -9
Attack Dagger Melee +6 (1d2-3, 19-20/X2)
Full-Attack Dagger Melee +6 (1d2-3, 19-20/X2)
Space 2½ ft.; Reach 0 ft.
Special Attacks Baleful Polymorph (Su)
Special Qualities Damage reduction 5/cold iron, low-light vision, spell resistance 11
Saves Fort +2 Ref +8 Will +6
Abilities Str 5, Dex 18, Con 12, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 15
Skills Escape Artist +8, Hide +16, Jump +3, Listen +5, Move Silently +8, Search +4, Spot +5
Feats Weapon Finesse, Improved initiative
Environment Temperate forests
Organization Gang (2-4), band (6-11), or tribe (20-80)
Challenge Rating X
Treasure No coins; 50% goods; 50% items
Alignment Always chaotic neutral
Advancement 6-8 HD (Tiny)
Level Adjustment -

I tried to match its ability scores pretty close to that of a Grig as they're the same type and size and I changed their baleful polymorph a little to suit the flavour better as them using it to kill you didn't really fit with my idea of them. I also wanted them to be able to fire off their baleful polymorph more then once a combat if left alive long enough but did not want them to be doing it every turn hence I put them on a dragon breath style counter.

Anyway I'd appreciate some honest feedback for this monster even if it is just to tell me if I've done something wrong as I would like to know what I can do better next time.

Glimbur
2009-11-06, 01:00 PM
Putting a CR on these guys is really hard. The DC on that Baleful Polymorph should be, by the general guidelines, 15+Cha mod. That's a difficult fort save for a low level character to make. But a level 1 wizard can kill it if he wins initiative via Magic Missile. The DR 5/Cold Iron means you'll need to do decent melee damage to kill it, but the average of a greatsword is 7 damage without a Str mod, and that's almost enough to drop this thing. AC 16 is nontrivial for a first level fighter.

I'd give them SR 11, a few more Hit Dice, and put the CR at three or four.

Debihuman
2009-11-06, 04:49 PM
You want a creature that has abilities appropriate to its HD so that the challenge rating isn't skewed. With too few hit points, it becomes a matter of only who gets initiative. If the party wins, the first magic missile takes it out. If the creature wins, someone in the party gets hit with baleful polymorph. I never thought highly of the grig either. Good fey creatures tend to be overpowered in D&D.

Since your creature doesn't have a good alignment this may present more of a problem. Without an actual play-test it would be difficult to assess the challenge rating.

Debby

MoelVermillion
2009-11-06, 09:12 PM
Debihuman and Gimblur, thank you for the advice so far, I've changed it to a 5 hitdice monster and given it spell resistance so it should be much easier to work with now. It should still be very lethal but atleast it will be at a more acceptable level of defense for it's lethality.