PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] I need the Care Bares for the Plane of Faerie.

Pika...
2009-11-06, 01:07 PM
Hey,

Since the request thread did not work so well, and because I am hoping to get the entire crew stated up, I figured I would try a new thread.

This is my current inspiration:

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f173/celestialkin/125361221318-2.jpg

Here is a list of the Care Bears:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Care_Bears

So where should I get started with these?

TabletopNuke
2009-11-06, 02:09 PM
PCs vs Care Bears?! What kind of campaign are you running?!

Also, that picture is WIN.

The Care Bears strike me as party-buff characters. They are the CARE Bears, after all. You could try some bard-like support abilities (Inspire Courage, Inspire Competence, ect). If you're going for high-powered Care Bears, you might want to take a look at the Ursinals from the Book of Exalted Deeds (If those Care Bears aren't exalted, then they're filthy liars. No one's that nice without being Good personified).

Debihuman
2009-11-06, 04:18 PM
You still have never explained exactly what kind of bears you want, which explains why you didn't get any feed back on the homebrew request. Is this for a serious campaign or a silly one?

From the SRD: "A fey is a creature with supernatural abilities and connections to nature or to some other force or place. Fey are usually human-shaped."

are Bears don't fit the "human-shaped" criteria (see dryads, pixies, nixies, etc for traditional fey creatures). However, they would make excellent Magical Beasts.0

Care bears have all the stats of a brown bear with the following changes: Their Type changes to Magical Beasts, they have an Int 10 and can speak Common and each one has an individual supernatural ability. For example, Wish bear can grant a wish once per day, as per the spell.
In addition when a collection of care bears stand together, they may produce the "Care Bear Stare," and send out a Ray of Light from their belly symbols which changes the target's alignment to Good. The target must be a living creature with an Evil alignment. Outsiders, Undead and Constructs are unaffected by this ray, but all other creatures must make a Will Save (10 +1/2 care bear's HD + care bear's Cha bonus plus +1 for each additional Care bear in the group) or have their alignment changed to Good.

Debby

[edit changed "descriptor" to "alignment."

Pika...
2009-11-06, 09:34 PM
Sorry about that Debi.

I run game somewhere between humor oriented and Gygaxian in style. I know, it does not make sense. :smallsmile:

I figured the image and the term Care Bares was a give away.

Basically, humorous is fine, but then at the same time they can be deadly. Being able to get PCs surprised due to this misleading nature is a nice bonus. :smallbiggrin:

From the SRD: "A fey is a creature with supernatural abilities and connections to nature or to some other force or place. Fey are usually human-shaped."

are Bears don't fit the "human-shaped" criteria (see dryads, pixies, nixies, etc for traditional fey creatures). However, they would make excellent Magical Beasts.0

Care bears have all the stats of a brown bear with the following changes: Their Type changes to Magical Beasts, they have an Int 10 and can speak Common and each one has an individual supernatural ability. For example, Wish bear can grant a wish once per day, as per the spell.
In addition when a collection of care bears stand together, they may produce the "Care Bear Stare," and send out a Ray of Light from their belly symbols which changes the target's alignment to Good. The target must be a living creature with an Evil descriptor. Outsiders, Undead and Constructs are unaffected by this ray, but all other creatures must make a Will Save (10 +1/2 care bear's HD + care bear's Cha bonus plus +1 for each additional Care bear in the group) or have their alignment changed to Good.

Debby

Oops. Missed your edit.

Thanks. Seems interesting. However, I believe a creature from the Plane of Faerie does not have to be humanoid to count. Even then, I would rather hand-wave that issue to get a more fey/planer feel to them to fit in my cosmology. What changes would you suggest making for this?

deuxhero
2009-11-06, 10:10 PM
The target must be a living creature with an Evil descriptor. Outsiders, Undead and Constructs are unaffected by this ray, but all other creatures must make a Will Save (10 +1/2 care bear's HD + care bear's Cha bonus plus +1 for each additional Care bear in the group) or have their alignment changed to Good.

Debby

Evil subtype ([evil])!=evil alignent. Given that only outsiders have [evil] on them, it does nothing.

IsaacTheHungry
2009-11-06, 10:17 PM
I am willing to playtest a CareBear as my next PC :smallbiggrin:

Pika...
2009-11-06, 10:27 PM
I am willing to playtest a CareBear as my next PC :smallbiggrin:

Who are you? O.o

What player is spying on my threads?

I kill you!

Debihuman
2009-11-07, 09:09 AM
Evil subtype ([evil])!=evil alignent. Given that only outsiders have [evil] on them, it does nothing.

Changed it to evil alignment.

However, I believe a creature from the Plane of Faerie does not have to be humanoid to count. Even then, I would rather hand-wave that issue to get a more fey/planer feel to them to fit in my cosmology. What changes would you suggest making for this?

The problem with making a "Plane of Faerie" is that you are turning fey creatures into extraplanar creatures and they would need that subtype. This also means that they are subject to banishment spells.

A brown bear has 6 HD and CR 4. Turning it into a Care Bear doesn't change the HD but it probably adds +1 to CR.

Debby

Pika...
2009-11-07, 09:26 AM
The problem with making a "Plane of Faerie" is that you are turning fey creatures into extraplanar creatures and they would need that subtype. This also means that they are subject to banishment spells.

Debby

But isn't the Plane of Faerie from the Manual of the Planes?

Debihuman
2009-11-07, 09:33 AM
Yes it is. Fey creatures are deemed to be from the Prime Material Plane. Creatures from the Plane of Faerie are not native to the Prime Material Plane and so are subject to banishment spells while there and have the Extraplanar subtype. Just as if they were from any other plane of existance.

Here's how the extraplanar subtype works (from the SRD):

Extraplanar Subtype
A subtype applied to any creature when it is on a plane other than its native plane. A creature that travels the planes can gain or lose this subtype as it goes from plane to plane. Monster entries assume that encounters with creatures take place on the Material Plane, and every creature whose native plane is not the Material Plane has the extraplanar subtype (but would not have when on its home plane). Every extraplanar creature in this book has a home plane mentioned in its description. Creatures not labeled as extraplanar are natives of the Material Plane, and they gain the extraplanar subtype if they leave the Material Plane. No creature has the extraplanar subtype when it is on a transitive plane, such as the Astral Plane, the Ethereal Plane, and the Plane of Shadow.

A horse from the Plane of Faerie is extraplanar on the Prime Material plane and is subject to banishment from there while a native horse is not. A horse from the Plane of Faerie has "Plane of Faerie" listed in its environment.

Debby

Pika...
2009-11-07, 09:51 AM
Yes it is. Fey creatures are deemed to be from the Prime Material Plane. Creatures from the Plane of Faerie are not native to the Prime Material Plane and so are subject to banishment spells while there and have the Extraplanar subtype. Just as if they were from any other plane of existance.

Here's how the extraplanar subtype works (from the SRD):

A horse from the Plane of Faerie is extraplanar on the Prime Material plane and is subject to banishment from there while a native horse is not. A horse from the Plane of Faerie has "Plane of Faerie" listed in its environment.

Debby

Oh, I think I understand. Thanks.

I guess I should have explained better. I am wanting these hugable fellas to be inhabitants of the Plane of Faerie.

A player wants his PC (a Pixie) to return to the Plane of Faerie to find a mount (a flying pink elephant. expect a post soon...). I need some inhabitants. :smallbiggrin:

Plus, I run low-magic, so only a handful of NPCs (very unlikely for a PC) would be able to Banish.

Debihuman
2009-11-07, 10:09 AM
Care Bears can certainly be a native to the Plane of Faerie. I just wanted to be sure you understood how the extraplanar subtype actually worked. As a DM you need to make sure your player understands that his or her PC is subject to banishment spells while on that plane and that acquiring an extraplanar creature as a cohort, mount or companion means that it can be banished on the Prime Material Plane.

Other than that, you are good to go. Can you stat this up on your own or do you want me to do it for you?

Debby

Pika...
2009-11-07, 10:13 AM
Care Bears can certainly be a native to the Plane of Faerie. I just wanted to be sure you understood how the extraplanar subtype actually worked. As a DM you need to make sure your player understands that his or her PC is subject to banishment spells while in that plane and that acquiring an extraplanar creature as a cohort, mount or companion means that it can be banished on the Prime Material Plane.

Other than that, you are good to go. Can you stat this up on your own or do you want me to do it for you?

Debby

Many thanks for the DM pointers.

And, well, I would like to learn. Could you provide some suggestions on what I should do based on your above description?

I imagine first take the bear, then apply the awakened spell/template. That is easy I believe.

I am not 100% sure how the process of changing a creature's type works. I believe you change the HD, and perhaps change the skill points when doing this process?

Jen0608
2009-11-07, 11:10 AM
I love Care Bears in fact I bought sone dvds of them and I watch them along with my daughter.

Golden-Esque
2009-11-07, 11:23 AM
They should all get a Spell-Like ability that's based off of their picture on their stomach thing.

I don't know anything about Carebears, but looking through your list:

Bedtime Bear - Symbol of Sleep (his stomach being the symbol)
Funshine Bear - Heinous Laughter
Good Luck Bear - True Strike
Grumpy Bear - Crushing Despair
Wish Bear - Wish 1/Week

Oh god, I can't take anymore . . .

DracoDei
2009-11-07, 12:13 PM
Some variant of Moment of Prescience (changing it from Insight to Luck) would be more versatile that True Strike.

Debihuman
2009-11-08, 06:29 PM
Many thanks for the DM pointers.

And, well, I would like to learn. Could you provide some suggestions on what I should do based on your above description?

I imagine first take the bear, then apply the awakened spell/template. That is easy I believe.

I am not 100% sure how the process of changing a creature's type works. I believe you change the HD, and perhaps change the skill points when doing this process?

Well you can base it off the bear stats and just completely remake it into a new creature. That way, you aren't applying any templates but creating a creature from scratch. Making it a Magical Beast changes its HD to d10s and so it has more hit points. It also has a much better BAB (+6) so attacks will change. BAB changes will affect attacks and grapple so those needs to change. Switch darkvision for low-light vision.

Care bear as a Magical Beast from the Plane of Faerie.

I am not quite sure how ray attacks work. I know they are ranged attacks.

Care Bear
Large Magical Beast (Extraplanar)
Hit Dice: 6d10+24 (57 hp)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares)
Armor Class: 15 (-1 size, +1 Dex, +5 natural), touch 10, flat-footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple: +6/+18
Attack: Claw +13 melee (1d8+8)
Full Attack: 2 claws +13 melee (1d8+8) and bite +8 melee (2d6+4)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: care bear stare, improved grab, spell-like abilities
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., scent
Saves: Fort +9, Ref +6, Will +3
Abilities: Str 27, Dex 13, Con 19, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 6
Skills: Listen +4, Spot +7, Swim +12
Feats: Endurance, Run, Track
Environment: Plane of Faerie
Organization: Solitary, or sleuth (2 or more)
Challenge Rating: 5
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always Neutral Good
Advancement: 7-10 HD (Large)
Level Adjustment: —

Combat

A care bear attacks mainly by tearing at opponents with its claws. A care bear will also use its spells. A sleuth of care bears can use their care bear stare on living opponents.

Care Bear Stare (Su): Care bears can use their collective belly badges to permanently change any living opponent's alignment to good. This is a ray attack with a 60 foot range. The ray has no effect on Undead and Constructs. A successful Will save (DC of the ray is 10+1/2 care bear's hit dice +1 for every additional bear in the sleuth) negates this.

Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability, a care bear must hit with a claw attack. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity.

Spell-like ability (Sp): Each care bear has a unique spell-like ability that it can use once per day. Caster level is the minimum need to cast the spell. Each care bear has a belly badge in the likeness of his or her spell-like ability. For example, Wish Bear can cast a wish spell; Bedtime Bear can cast a sleep spell and Amigo Bear can cast tongues.

Skills: A care bear has a +4 racial bonus on Swim checks.