PDA

View Full Version : Looking for ADULT action anime series

Jeivar
2009-11-06, 01:35 PM
No, I don't mean "adult" as in GrimDarkTittiesGore . . . not necessarily. :smallbiggrin:
I just mean no giant sweatdrops, no chibiheads, no adults acting like complete spastwits, no "angry girl punches boyfriend literally across town", no "18 year old male protagonist who looks like a 13 year old girl", no . . . well, you get my point.

I've watched Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, and Pumpkin Scissors, and now I'm hungry for other cartoon action series that aren't kiddie. Oh, and it wouldn't hurt to have a badass female protagonist. I just love girls who kick ass. :smallsmile:

Got any recommendations?

Callos_DeTerran
2009-11-06, 01:39 PM
Hellsing OVA or not. Blood+

Prime32
2009-11-06, 01:40 PM
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dn8XxMDW3NI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxD_Y6ax95Q

It's a cyberpunk cop show with deep philosophical and sociological themes, though you don't have to follow them to enjoy it. Similarly, each episode is a self-contained story which also has links to a larger plot.

It also happens to have a good dub.

Texas_Ben
2009-11-06, 01:42 PM
The two Ghost in the Shell: Standalone Comlpex series, while not pure action, are pretty excellent.

Last Exile is pretty good, nothing rediculous though the protagonists *are* teenagers, if that's a dealbreaker.

And also, I don't why I didn't mention this one first, Black Lagoon. Pretty much exactly what you're looking for.

Rutskarn
2009-11-06, 01:46 PM
All you can see in the forum buffet page is, "Looking for ADULT action..."

Needless to say, I was a little wary of this here thread.

Starfols
2009-11-06, 01:51 PM
It isn't Japanese, but I'd Todd McFarlane's Spawn. It's actually a lot more mature then you would think. In a The Dark Knight way, rather than a A Beautiful Mind way, cause, y'know.. capes 'n fighting (not that that's a bad thing).

tribble
2009-11-06, 01:52 PM
There's berserk. I would also say Gantz, but the subject matter is hardly mature. (That is, it might be rated M, but it is not presented maturely. Grimdarktittiesgore, yeah that sums up Gantz.)

Athaniar
2009-11-06, 02:23 PM
Neon Genesis Evangelion could be worth watching. It's extremely weird, though, and the fighting isn't that frequent. I also suggest watching Death Note. Adult? Yes. Awesome? Yes. Action? Well, not really, but still, watch it. In addition, I second Last Exile.

Decoy Lockbox
2009-11-06, 02:23 PM
I'd go with Berserk, though I suggest reading the manga over watching the anime. Or at least doing both. I have to warn you though, its pretty dang *adult*, at least compared to Bebop, Ghost in the shell, Champloo, etc.

Icewalker
2009-11-06, 02:26 PM
Yeah, Death Note is excellent and lacks all of those elements you suggested. Actually, I think Code Geass does pretty well in avoiding those also, and is more actiony.

Vic_Sage
2009-11-06, 03:06 PM
Actually, I think Code Geass does pretty well in avoiding those also, and is more actiony.
You can't be serious.

Atelm
2009-11-06, 03:13 PM
Thirding Last Exile, there's no way to over-promote it. Practically everything I could suggest has already been mentioned though I shall pop a suggestion for Higurashi (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Higurashi_no_Naku_Koro_ni) although it might not exactly fit your criteria.

Haruki-kun
2009-11-06, 03:17 PM
You can't be serious.

No, I can see where he's coming from...

If I may, try Akira, it's a very acclaimed movie, and I'm pretty sure it falls under what you're asking for.

I shall pop a suggestion for Higurashi (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Higurashi_no_Naku_Koro_ni) although it might not exactly fit your criteria.

I'm a huge fan of Higurashi and will not hesitate to recommend it, but.... it doesn't fit the criteria at all.

smellie_hippie
2009-11-06, 03:24 PM
Appleseed?

CarpeGuitarrem
2009-11-06, 03:27 PM
You can't be serious.
It's less shounen-manga-style than most, although it has a bit of it. Still fairly good though.

Noir might be your ticket, but it seems to be a 50/50 split between people who really like it and people who don't get it/find it boring/think it's too abstract or scattered. It's about two girls who are epic female assassins. Need I say more.

Madlax is the same way, and one of the female protagonists is even more BA. Actually, there's more female protagonists there...it's also been criticized as being very slow to startup. Not that she isn't killing people from the get-go, it just takes time for the overarching plot to come together. I like the pacing, though.

You might want to try Scrapped Princess, too. There's nothing as over-the-top as what you're describing, but the title character has a very distinct temper that flares.

Tengu_temp
2009-11-06, 03:39 PM
Hmm, from stuff people haven't mentioned yet... You could check Noir - it's very poetic, has great music, no overblown expressions whatsoever, and both of the protagonists are badass action girls. On the downside, the pace can be very slow at times (not to be confused with shonen anime slow!), some people consider it pretentious, and the whole series being very morally grey might not be everyone's cup of tea.
EDIT: Bah, got ninjaed on Noir. If 12 minutes even count as a ninja.

Are mecha okay? Yes, there are mature mecha shows out there.

CarpeGuitarrem
2009-11-06, 04:11 PM
Hmm, from stuff people haven't mentioned yet... You could check Noir - it's very poetic, has great music, no overblown expressions whatsoever, and both of the protagonists are badass action girls. On the downside, the pace can be very slow at times (not to be confused with shonen anime slow!), some people consider it pretentious, and the whole series being very morally grey might not be everyone's cup of tea.
EDIT: Bah, got ninjaed on Noir. If 12 minutes even count as a ninja.

Time-travel ninjaing. :smallwink:

But yes. Beautiful anime, one of my favorites.

Oslecamo
2009-11-06, 04:30 PM
Are mecha okay? Yes, there are mature mecha shows out there.

Link or it never hapened. I really don't remember any mecha anime wich doesn't end up becoming FIGHTING SPIRIT CHALLENGE YOU TO PERSONAL COMBAT WITH POINTY STICKS RRRAAAARRGHHH!

Prime32
2009-11-06, 04:40 PM
Link or it never hapened. I really don't remember any mecha anime wich doesn't end up becoming FIGHTING SPIRIT CHALLENGE YOU TO PERSONAL COMBAT WITH POINTY STICKS RRRAAAARRGHHH!*cough* (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RealRobot)

There are also plenty of anime where mecha exist but aren't focused on.

Texas_Ben
2009-11-06, 04:42 PM
Link or it never hapened. I really don't remember any mecha anime wich doesn't end up becoming FIGHTING SPIRIT CHALLENGE YOU TO PERSONAL COMBAT WITH POINTY STICKS RRRAAAARRGHHH!

Evangelion is probably the antithesis of that. Of course, it does go a little too far to the other extreme...

Vic_Sage
2009-11-06, 04:44 PM
Votoms says hi.

warty goblin
2009-11-06, 04:48 PM
All you can see in the forum buffet page is, "Looking for ADULT action..."

Needless to say, I was a little wary of this here thread.

And honestly the full title isn't any more comforting really. While it does clear up the possibility of the OP lusting in vain after forum members, I'm not sure whether cartoon focused lust is any better. 'Cause that's certainly what the title reads like.

Oslecamo
2009-11-06, 04:54 PM
*cough* (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RealRobot)

Doesn't count, first because rifles are still technicaly pointy sticks, and second because 99% of real robots will still go FIGHTING SHOOTING SPIRIT CHALLENGE YOU TO PERSONAL COMBAT WITH POINTY STICKS RRRAAAARRGHHH!

Second because it's tvropes.

Texas_Ben: Not really. The main character still screams a lot, and the mechas are powered by their pilot's spirit, and there's a kung fu girl and everything the OP said he didn't want.

Vic_Sage:NOW that's what I'm talking about!:smallbiggrin:

If I just had free time to try to see it, sigh...

Jeivar
2009-11-06, 05:12 PM
And honestly the full title isn't any more comforting really. While it does clear up the possibility of the OP lusting in vain after forum members, I'm not sure whether cartoon focused lust is any better. 'Cause that's certainly what the title reads like.

Heh. Gotta love unintentional comedy. :smallbiggrin:

Texas_Ben
2009-11-06, 05:16 PM
Texas_Ben: Not really. The main character still screams a lot, and the mechas are powered by their pilot's spirit, and there's a kung fu girl and everything the OP said he didn't want.
[B]

Wasn't responding to the OP, was responding to the charge that all mecha shows are FIGHTING SPIRIT CHALLENGE YOU TO PERSONAL COMBAT AAAAAAARGH!

Oslecamo
2009-11-06, 05:18 PM
Wasn't responding to the OP, was responding to the charge that all mecha shows are FIGHTING SPIRIT CHALLENGE YOU TO PERSONAL COMBAT AAAAAAARGH!

I'm sorry, but even emo lord Shinji Ikari does that when he's on a mecha.

Heck, he even dance-fights with Asuka!

Exarch
2009-11-06, 05:23 PM
I'll fourth Berserk and Last Exile. Great series. I like the manga for Berserk a lot more than the anime, because I feel that the demon aspect in the anime comes from out of nowhere whereas there's a somewhat constant of it in the manga. Last Exile is enjoyable.

For mature mecha? VOTOMs is always good. I REALLY like Gundam (standard continuation). 08 MS Team would fit the bill for what you're looking for, as would Stardust Memory. Or War in the Pocket. Macross deserves a nod as well.

I personally love Record of Lodoss War. The original 7 tapes fit you're looking for more than the second OVAs that came out (still good, but they have a 5-minute joke segment after each show).

Vampire Hunter D, both the original and Bloodlust, are great.

I'll second Ghost in the Shell...first movie and any of the SAC series.

Black Lagoon is mostly ok, though it still has crazy broads doing crazy things.

Edit: Full Metal Panic is mostly pretty good, except the main chick does have a tendency to punch out the main soldier guy. If you ignore this little tidbit, it's great.

jmbrown
2009-11-06, 05:39 PM
Now and Then, Here and There is not only one of the best OVAs but it completely handles a touchy subject maturely and never strays into the anime cliches. There's absolutely no fan service and it's not disturbingly violent but the story involves child soldiers under command of a ruthless general who's completely bonkers.

The main character is a teenager and he gets his ass beat in every single episode but still maintains his perky attitude. The running "gag" is that despite the character thinking everything will get better... it never does. Ever. Each event is one depressing and powerfully direct set piece after another. One side story involves what happens to capture females; the desirable ones are given to the top generals as concubines. You never see anything happen onscreen and even the mild nudity they show is set in such a well directed scene that I didn't realize until the credits that "Wait a minute... I just sat through rape being used as a plot point and didn't groan." This is pretty poignant because if you knew how much I hate rape being used on females simply to further the plot you'd realize how good this show actually is.

It's only 13 episodes or so and the animation is fantastic (it's done in a deliberate cel style reminiscent of Akira). You have to watch it because from beginning to end your standards for how you view anime and dramatic mini-series in general will change.

Talya
2009-11-06, 05:41 PM
Appleseed?

Yeah, I'm not much of an anime fan, but I liked appleseed. The sequel wasn't all that great though...

Icewalker
2009-11-06, 05:50 PM
You can't be serious.

To clarify, I meant mostly that it avoided the small-scale elements he referenced, less so the larger ones. It doesn't do the giant sweat-bead, chibi, etc: the animation itself is consistently serious. There are definitely some points of plot which drop into the non-serious, but overall it fits the request pretty well.

Ooh, G Gundam. As TVTropes describes it, it is passionately Hot-Blooded to the point of So Bad It's Good, past that to So Bad It's Horrible, but then it keeps going even further and ends up somehow back at ----ING AWESOME. That is a quite epic show.

Oslecamo
2009-11-06, 06:01 PM
Ah, yes, +1 for berseker.

But skip the anime and read the manga instead. It's serious adult AWESOME!

Despite the main character having an oversized sword.

tribble
2009-11-06, 06:09 PM
Doesn't count, first because rifles are still technicaly pointy sticks, and second because 99% of real robots will still go FIGHTING SHOOTING SPIRIT CHALLENGE YOU TO PERSONAL COMBAT WITH POINTY STICKS RRRAAAARRGHHH!

so, what are mecha supposed to be used for, if not combat? exotic mode of travel? construction? :smallconfused:

Vic_Sage
2009-11-06, 06:13 PM
I'm going to be the only one to say this so ignore me if you want but skip Beserk, it's really not that good *Get your pitchforks folks*. Some stuff to look for are Bokurano, yeah the main cast is a group of kids but belive me, this is not something for kids and is known for doing something according to most people breaks the fundamental rule of a Super Robot show, it's extremely depressing and bleak. Two other series to look for are Flag and Five Star Stories *THough this is just a manga*.

Oslecamo
2009-11-06, 06:16 PM
Skip Bokurano. Evangelion is happy happy land and Shinji Hikari is a pretty cheerfull dude when you compare it with Bokurano. I couldn't bring myself to finish reading it.

However, their robot definetely runs on the power of spirit. Perhaps too much.

Vic_Sage: Have you read the bersek manga or just saw the anime?

(grabs oversized pitchfork)

THIS IS THE PITCHFORK THAT WILL PIERCE THE HEAVENS!

tribble:I don't mind mechas in combat. I do mind when sudenly mechas are the only viable combat machine and everything else is suport at best.

Bouregard
2009-11-06, 06:22 PM
Noir. Simply as that. It uses anime graphics and some fighting scenes are a bit unrealistic (noone can shoot that precise!), but thats it. No stupid kids, punching girlfriends and usuall annoying stuff. Lot's of gunfighting thought.

Oslecamo
2009-11-06, 06:37 PM
punching girlfriends

Technicaly speaking, there is a knive fighting girlfriend. :smalltongue:

But yes, Noir is a pretty good choice.

Vic_Sage
2009-11-06, 07:02 PM
Skip Bokurano. Evangelion is happy happy land and Shinji Hikari is a pretty cheerfull dude when you compare it with Bokurano. I couldn't bring myself to finish reading it.

Vic_Sage: Have you read the bersek manga or just saw the anime?

(grabs oversized pitchfork)

THIS IS THE PITCHFORK THAT WILL PIERCE THE HEAVENS!

tribble:I don't mind mechas in combat. I do mind when sudenly mechas are the only viable combat machine and everything else is suport at best.
Wait a minute wait a minute wait a minute, you're playing SRW, but you don't like pilots and mecha that run on fighting spirit? Wah?

I've seen the anime and read the manga. Don't like either to much. Then again I'm all so the guy who doesn't like Cowboy Beebop.

Brewdude
2009-11-06, 07:07 PM
You share my tastes, so this is what I like, in order of how much I like it, of the titles you haven't mentioned.

Black Lagoon: Seriously. Buy this. it's awesome and well dubbed.

Basilisk: It's Naruto for adults. Also, only one season.

Ghost in the shell: Stand alone Complex: Heady stuff, if you can get past the major's outfit for the first season.

Berserk: A little depressing, but still good.

Bacano: Currently available for Free on hulu!

Gnomo
2009-11-06, 07:08 PM
I would also suggest Berserk, not only because is the best comic ever made, but because it's pretty much what the OP described, BUT, the anime is very old and only like a 1/10 of the entire plot by now. On the other hand reading it is a complete must.

Brother Oni
2009-11-06, 07:21 PM
The Patlabor movies fulfil the goal of being a mature series and being a mecha based show that doesn't descend into fighting spirit silliness (unless you count Ohta :smallbiggrin:).

Jin-Roh is another good one, although it's only a one off movie.

I've only watched the first episode of it, but if it promises to be as good as the manga, then Blade of the Immortal would have the mature theme and a kick-ass female (I mean Makie here, Rin doesn't really count).

Asheram
2009-11-06, 07:22 PM
Well... I can't be buggered to read all that've come before, so I'll just list some.

Berserk is a great, very dark series...

Ghost in the shell, both the movies are great, perhaps the series as well, but they're a bit lighter in spirit.

Serial Experiments Lain This series is just trippy (literally)... I don't know how to explain it other than that. It's a great series, just watch it through.

Black Lagoon "Mr normal ends up with a gang of mercenaries" is the best way to describe this, but still; Great series. Bit heavy on some episodes, but it's good stuff.

Ghost Hunt Teen girl stumbles over some equipment left by a paranormal investigator and is forced to work for him to pay it back. No chibification or anything, just some good comedy, romance and horror. My very favorite series.

How about Zipang A japanese warship thrown back into the second world war during a training exercise. Wonderful art, and great story as well.

Eve no Jikan; An excellent little series about life in the future. Think Bicentinnial man, but a bit more subtle. A "must-see", but the comedy might put you off a bit.

Well. Hope you'll enjoy it.

Edit;
Aaaargh! How'd I forget Baccano?! Wonderful series. Two thumbs up.

Oslecamo
2009-11-06, 07:29 PM
Wait a minute wait a minute wait a minute, you're playing SRW, but you don't like pilots and mecha that run on fighting spirit? Wah?

Now now, you misunderstood me. I do like mechas and robots that run in fighting spirit. I don't like it when fighting spirit becomes the only thing that matters.

In SRW, for example, fighting spirit alone won't win you the day. Look at the boss from mission 20:

I'M THE SWORD OF MAGUS! THERE'S NOTHING I CANNOT CUT!

(several attacks later)

Ack! Where's my energy? Why do they keep coming at me? Oh woe, if I just had a machine gun, or if my my fighting spirit would recharge my mecha's energy...

(my dudes keep shooting at him)

It burns us! I must retreat, overwhelmed by numbers, despite all my fighting spirit!

It's extremely satisfying for me to drain the boss's energy with numbers and then grinding them to dust while they stay there, unable to counter attack.:smallbiggrin:

Vic_Sage
2009-11-06, 07:42 PM
Aight I gotcha. And watch the spoilers man, just got to mission 12 on both routes :p.

Oslecamo
2009-11-06, 07:51 PM
Sorry, I could swear you were also on mission 20 already.:smallredface:

Vic_Sage
2009-11-06, 08:08 PM

I'm actually surprised I ended up liking Bokurano *And Eva for that matter* I mainly like things light with a happy ending *Bittersweet is okay* and Bokurano was far far far FAR away from any of that.

Oslecamo
2009-11-06, 08:16 PM
Well, Evangelion has it's share of happy moments. There's a ray of hope troughout all the series, and Shinji manages to live with a milf, and he works with two pretty girls on top of that. Plus there's relatively few character deaths, and plans do work whitout need of human sacrifices.

Bokurano has actualy a quite good story, but it's really lacking on the happy moments. Super robots fall, a LOT of people die. And you know you're doomed no matter what.

Stormthorn
2009-11-06, 08:28 PM
When you wrote adult as ADULT I assumed you wanted this stuff (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mezzo_Forte) or this stuff (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Blue_Girl).

But you also stated it didnt need to be that. So im lost.
Also your initial post seems to suggest (based upon what you listed as examples) that violence and grit are required. Which is different from using adult simply to mean "not for kids".
In the simply not for kids section i would recommend Welcome to the NHK but as its based around acting like spacewits (complete with otakudom, social phobias, and Borderline Personality Disorder) or, rather, crazy people....

Yea. I cant help you in the "gritty and serious and violent but not over the top action" genre of adult other than to support Ghost In The Shell. Maybe Mnemosyne but its kinda over the top and gratuitious in the style of Gantz. Better than Gantz tho in my opinion. Moar lesbians.

Serial Experiments Lain This series is just trippy (literally)... I don't know how to explain it other than that. It's a great series, just watch it through.
This is always good. Always.

Vic_Sage
2009-11-06, 08:48 PM
Oh yeah, one series that I forgot to mention, Gunslinger Girl. The fact that the protagonist are seemingly 12 year old girls may be off putting at first but the show is pretty good and deep without being annoying. Episode 2 is really depressing though.

Stormthorn
2009-11-06, 08:56 PM
Oh yeah, one series that I forgot to mention, Gunslinger Girl. The fact that the protagonist are seemingly 12 year old girls may be off putting at first but the show is pretty good and deep without being annoying. Episode 2 is really depressing though.

I considered mentioning this one.
If you really want to see kids killing people I also suggest Now And Then, Here And There. Dont let the first episode fool you. It is not nearly so lighthearted as its opening suggests.

Kids also kill people in Eureka Seven but...well...technicolor bio-mechs surf on the brainwaves of the planet and then they bleed like Eva's* when injured.

*If you havnt seen Evangelion then i will sum it up thusly: High pressure blood in a body that can hold a thousand times the blood thats in a human.

skywalker
2009-11-07, 01:03 AM
For mature mecha? VOTOMs is always good. I REALLY like Gundam (standard continuation). 08 MS Team would fit the bill for what you're looking for, as would Stardust Memory. Or War in the Pocket. Macross deserves a nod as well.

YES! A thousand times yes!

Ooh, G Gundam. As TVTropes describes it, it is passionately Hot-Blooded to the point of So Bad It's Good, past that to So Bad It's Horrible, but then it keeps going even further and ends up somehow back at ----ING AWESOME. That is a quite epic show.

The best part of G Gundam is that you get to see Japanese stereotypes of all the different countries. USA's is particularly poignant, I think.

I would recommend: Trigun, which is silly as hell but also frakking mature, and FLCL! If that isn't adult, I don't know what is...

Jayngfet
2009-11-07, 04:13 AM
Now now, you misunderstood me. I do like mechas and robots that run in fighting spirit. I don't like it when fighting spirit becomes the only thing that matters.

In SRW, for example, fighting spirit alone won't win you the day. Look at the boss from mission 20:

I'M THE SWORD OF MAGUS! THERE'S NOTHING I CANNOT CUT!

(several attacks later)

Ack! Where's my energy? Why do they keep coming at me? Oh woe, if I just had a machine gun, or if my my fighting spirit would recharge my mecha's energy...

(my dudes keep shooting at him)

It burns us! I must retreat, overwhelmed by numbers, despite all my fighting spirit!

It's extremely satisfying for me to drain the boss's energy with numbers and then grinding them to dust while they stay there, unable to counter attack.:smallbiggrin:

This is why when you have little to no supernatural power on your robot it's a bad idea to melee in the genre in general. This is why gundams shoot and Getters tomahawk, hell Mazinger's attacks are pretty much all range oriented and it's the grandaddy of them all. Mecha in general only get beat up pretending to be something their not.

In terms of good series that meet the OP's statement I'd reccoment anything with getter robo. It's got excellent fight scenes on foot or in mecha, features fully grown protagonists, has great villans, lots of political subplot, and is in general awesome.

Oslecamo
2009-11-07, 09:22 AM
This is why when you have little to no supernatural power on your robot it's a bad idea to melee in the genre in general. This is why gundams shoot and Getters tomahawk, hell Mazinger's attacks are pretty much all range oriented and it's the grandaddy of them all. Mecha in general only get beat up pretending to be something their not.

Last time I checked, gundams do melee a lot of the time. Mecha spiked chain much?

Durp
2009-11-07, 09:43 AM
No, I don't mean "adult" as in GrimDarkTittiesGore . . . not necessarily. :smallbiggrin:
I just mean no giant sweatdrops, no chibiheads, no adults acting like complete spastwits, no "angry girl punches boyfriend literally across town", no "18 year old male protagonist who looks like a 13 year old girl", no . . . well, you get my point.

I've watched Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, and Pumpkin Scissors, and now I'm hungry for other cartoon action series that aren't kiddie. Oh, and it wouldn't hurt to have a badass female protagonist. I just love girls who kick ass. :smallsmile:

Got any recommendations?
Black Lagoon, if that hasn't been covered.

Jayngfet
2009-11-07, 02:04 PM
Last time I checked, gundams do melee a lot of the time. Mecha spiked chain much?

But they use ranged MOST of the time, it's not like every fight uses swords, it's more they're gun wielding robots who happen to have blades.

Berserk Monk
2009-11-07, 03:36 PM

I like ending statements in question marks too?

Decoy Lockbox
2009-11-07, 05:02 PM
FLCL! If that isn't adult, I don't know what is...

You don't have to be an adult to drop acid.

That being said, I love FLCL.

BizzaroStormy
2009-11-07, 05:13 PM
Honestly the Gundam series, excluding G Gundam and Gundam SD (which is like a revived abortion anyway) ae pretty good. They're serious without being depressing. I reccommend starting off with Gundam Wing and Mobile Suit: Gundam.

Stormthorn
2009-11-07, 09:31 PM
I like ending statements in question marks too?

Your question mark doesnt make sense*. His does.

His was denoting a questioning tone. Like in the following example:

"Then he ****ed the ministers dog with the **** and the fish."
"The fish?" (Eyebrows probably raised and eyes wide)
"The fish."

In this case, the red text is a question. A rather fragmented one. A better version would be "Did he really use the fish?" (Better answer: "He used the fish") but this is still a question. If spoken outloud by a native english speaker the inflection would make that clear.

Thats sort of the effect in the post you are mocking. If you have ever seen someone offer a suggestion in a questioning tone of voice, you know what he was doing. In this case the part left off was most likely "What about..."
The question mark was probably in place to let us, the readers, know that he intended the comment to be read with a interrogative inflection.

Your own sig has a question in that manner, in fact.

Looking for jewelry or chainmail?

*Yours can sorta make sense if your asking yourself a question, but not if your talking to him. He obviously wouldnt know if you like that so the question would be absurd.

Sneak
2009-11-07, 10:10 PM
I don't like anime. I don't watch anime. I think most of it is stupid, for various reasons.

But Death Note is great. 'Nuff said.

skywalker
2009-11-08, 02:14 AM
But they use ranged MOST of the time, it's not like every fight uses swords, it's more they're gun wielding robots who happen to have blades.

Depends on the Gundam series in question, really. G Gundam, already being discussed in this thread, has quite a bit of melee going on, really.

You don't have to be an adult to drop acid.

That being said, I love FLCL.

But you really ought to be... I can't imagine FLCL on acid...

Honestly the Gundam series, excluding G Gundam and Gundam SD (which is like a revived abortion anyway) ae pretty good. They're serious without being depressing. I reccommend starting off with Gundam Wing and Mobile Suit: Gundam.

Some of them are a little depressing. A lot of the good ones are, actually. Now that I think about it.

BizzaroStormy
2009-11-08, 02:34 AM
Depends on the Gundam series in question, really. G Gundam, already being discussed in this thread, has quite a bit of melee going on, really.

Some of them are a little depressing. A lot of the good ones are, actually. Now that I think about it.

G Gundam was essentially DBZ with giant robots. Not saying its bad but it lacks the feel of the others.

SD, however was a god-awful abortion. Basically gundam for 3 year-olds.

Vic_Sage
2009-11-08, 02:59 AM
If you watch a Gundam series OP avoid SEED Destiny and Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory.

skywalker
2009-11-08, 03:29 AM
G Gundam was essentially DBZ with giant robots. Not saying its bad but it lacks the feel of the others.

SD, however was a god-awful abortion. Basically gundam for 3 year-olds.

You misunderstood. I was saying that G Gundam has a lot of melee, not that it's good. I watch it just to see the Gundam Maxter, piloted by Chibodee Crockett, the New Yorker who loves to box, surf, and shoot his "giant magnum" beam guns. Yes, this is what the Japanese think of Americans.

And yes, SD Gundam sucked.

If you watch a Gundam series OP avoid SEED Destiny and Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory.

What have you got against Stardust Memory?

Prime32
2009-11-08, 07:41 AM
G Gundam was essentially DBZ with giant robots. Not saying its bad but it lacks the feel of the others.More like Street Fighter with giant robots.

Stormthorn
2009-11-08, 09:48 PM
More like Street Fighter with giant robots.

How is that bad? Rockem Sockem Robots on crack.

Decoy Lockbox
2009-11-08, 10:05 PM
I can't imagine FLCL on acid...

I think it would be even more entertaining that it already is.

Exarch
2009-11-09, 04:30 PM

Are you kidding me? Stardust Memory is great.

OP, I'd suggest ignoring Wing Gundam. The amount of Plot Armor in that series upset me when I was 14. Also having 5 Gundam rock the Earth's socks is pretty stupid.

Jin-Roh would definitely be good if you want political thriller that will make you think.

I don't like Gunslinger Girl, personally. Having 12 year old girls (odd how it's usually female main characters kicking butt unless it's mecha) be the best assassins in the world is pretty silly.

Volos
2009-11-09, 04:31 PM
Gantz. That is all I have to say.

SurlySeraph
2009-11-09, 05:21 PM
I remember hearing someone refer to Gantz as "Grim Dark Murdertits: The Bloodening."

It's a pretty accurate description.

I second all the recommendations of Black Lagoon and Berserk.

Oslecamo
2009-11-09, 05:24 PM
I second all the recommendations of Black Lagoon and Berserk.

Wait, you have trouble with Gantz, but you don't have trouble with " Adult female characters exist only to be raped" Berseker?

SurlySeraph
2009-11-09, 05:34 PM
Oh no, Gantz is awesome. I want to strangle Kurono every time he gets even a second of screen time and I acknowledge that it is what it is, but I like it.

Oslecamo
2009-11-09, 05:39 PM
Actualy, one thing I loved in Gantz was that the

annoying main character dies and then comes back shligtly more suportable.

Altough now there are two of them... Brrrr...(at least even they aknowledge they're annoying).

Mando Knight
2009-11-09, 05:51 PM
I think it would be even more entertaining that it already is.

FLCL on acid would probably look like Dickens or Tolkein wrote it...