PDA

View Full Version : Soulknife + Orc Shotput

Talbot
2009-11-06, 02:25 PM
Is there any way to do that with a returning enhancement? It isn't on the Soulknife enhancement list, but it is on the Soulbow list... but you can't reshape your mind arrow.

I really like the idea of running around flinging Psychic Strike charged Orc Shotputs (especially with improved critical and mind cleave thrown in), but I can't figure out how to do it.

Bayar
2009-11-06, 02:35 PM
Umm, returning property on Shotputs ?

Talbot
2009-11-06, 02:40 PM
Can you just put any enhancement on your mind weapon though? Or only the ones on their list?

RagnaroksChosen
2009-11-06, 02:49 PM
Can you just put any enhancement on your mind weapon though? Or only the ones on their list?

I belive thats an ask your gm question. Raw I don't even think you can get an orc shotput....

Moriato
2009-11-06, 03:03 PM
Assuming you can shape your mind blade into an orc shotput (I'll just assume you can, somehow) returning really isn't an option, because of this:

Throw Mind Blade (Ex)
A soul knife of 2nd level or higher can throw his mind blade as a ranged weapon with a range increment of 30 feet.

Whether or not the attack hits, a thrown mind blade then dissipates.

You could, however, throw it, then use a move action (or a free action after 5th level) to rematerialize it, then throw it again in the next round.

Also later on, you'll get this:

Multiple Throw (Ex)
At 17th level and higher, a soulknife can throw a number of mind blades per round equal to the number of melee attacks he could make.

Then you can throw it as often as you want.

FMArthur
2009-11-06, 03:38 PM
Multiple Throw (Ex)
At 17th level and higher, a soulknife can throw a number of mind blades per round equal to the number of melee attacks he could make.

Oh wow. I've been misreading Free Draw for quite a while now. This is really, really awful.

Moriato
2009-11-06, 03:49 PM
Oh wow. I've been misreading Free Draw for quite a while now. This is really, really awful.

Yeah, you would think that since quick draw makes drawing a weapon a free action and lets you get your full attack routine with thrown weapons, and rapid reload makes reloading a light crossbow a free action, and lets you get your full attack, that once you could manifest your mind blade as a free action you could do the same thing, but it specifically says you can only make one attempt to manifest it per round. Just one more thing to make soulknives sub-par.

RagnaroksChosen
2009-11-06, 03:52 PM
Assuming you can shape your mind blade into an orc shotput (I'll just assume you can, somehow) returning really isn't an option, because of this:

You could, however, throw it, then use a move action (or a free action after 5th level) to rematerialize it, then throw it again in the next round.

Also later on, you'll get this:

I'm going to have to slightly disagree with you.

When a soulknife gets the free draw thing I believe he can throw it twice in the first round if he has the bab for it. After that it would only be once though.. which is wicked crap.

I would also assume that what ever was letting him change it into a shot put would probebly over write the throw only once a round thing. other wise it would be extra pointless...
(much like mind arrows override it)

Moriato
2009-11-06, 04:05 PM
I'm going to have to slightly disagree with you.

When a soulknife gets the free draw thing I believe he can throw it twice in the first round if he has the bab for it. After that it would only be once though.. which is wicked crap.

I see what you mean, assuming he already has it manifested when the battle begins. Then again, though, you'd have to be able to use a free action in the middle of your full attack action, can you do that?

RagnaroksChosen
2009-11-06, 04:06 PM
I see what you mean, assuming he already has it manifested when the battle begins. Then again, though, you'd have to be able to use a free action in the middle of your full attack action, can you do that?

not sure I would assume so though. Are you allowed to speak while you attack? that's a free action. Plus does it really hurt the soul knife to be able to?

Moriato
2009-11-06, 04:16 PM
not sure I would assume so though. Are you allowed to speak while you attack? that's a free action. Plus does it really hurt the soul knife to be able to?

It wouldn't hurt them, no, but quickened spells are swift actions, which is even less than a free action... could a gish build attack/attack/attack/quickened true strike/attack? I've actually never run into that question before. I know you can use a free action before or after a full attack, but during?

RagnaroksChosen
2009-11-06, 04:21 PM
It wouldn't hurt them, no, but quickened spells are swift actions, which is even less than a free action... could a gish build attack/attack/attack/quickened true strike/attack? I've actually never run into that question before. I know you can use a free action before or after a full attack, but during?

free actions are actually faster then swift actions(cuz you can only make 1 sqift action in a round, yet i can make a bunch of free)
So no the quicken can't work but i figured you can talk while you swing... that would be pritty stupid if not.

Moriato
2009-11-06, 04:29 PM
free actions are actually faster then swift actions(cuz you can only make 1 sqift action in a round, yet i can make a bunch of free)
So no the quicken can't work but i figured you can talk while you swing... that would be pritty stupid if not.

You're right, I had my actions backwards. So yeah he could get 2 the first round if he already had it manifested. Still sucks, of course.

RagnaroksChosen
2009-11-06, 04:33 PM
You're right, I had my actions backwards. So yeah he could get 2 the first round if he already had it manifested. Still sucks, of course.

o ya I'm just saying that first round your golden...

FMArthur
2009-11-06, 04:44 PM
o ya I'm just saying that first round your golden...

Well, no. Even if Free Draw worked unlimited times/round, you're still a Soulknife... which is anything but golden.

RagnaroksChosen
2009-11-06, 04:48 PM
Well, no. Even if Free Draw worked unlimited times/round, you're still a Soulknife... which is anything but golden.

ehh I don't think soulknifes are that bad especial kalashtar soulknifes... I meen strait soulknife blows but i meen its no monk.