PDA

View Full Version : Spirited Away

Raz_Fox
2009-11-06, 03:03 PM
Well, I ended up watching Hayao Miyazaki's excellent film Spirited Away last night instead of writing for NaNoWriMo like I should have been, and I was blown away by how entertaining it was. So, naturally, I decided to make a thread about the movie to see if there's anyone else here in the Playground who likes it as much as I do.

I love Lin. Such a cute weasel-girl. The design of the Kami City was simply inspired, as well. The only thing that I found a disappointment was that it didn't last nearly long enough.

So. Who else loves the "Japanese Alice in Wonderland?"

Atelm
2009-11-06, 03:08 PM
I liked Spirited Away, a lot, but I much prefer Miyazaki's other (read: older) films like Porco Rosso, Mononoke and Laputa. (yes, that's what is is called, Spanish be damned)

Recently watched Ponyo, despite some plot oddities going on I enjoyed it. Still couldn't beat his previous works, though that is but natural as this one was akin to Totoro and so quite different although still with similar overal themes.

Mauve Shirt
2009-11-06, 03:12 PM
I love this movie. It and Howl's Moving Castle are my favorite Miyazaki films..

Haruki-kun
2009-11-06, 03:12 PM
*Storms in*

SPIRITED AWAY IS THE BEST MOVIE EVERRRR!!!!!!!!!

:smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:

.......just my two cents.

Silverraptor
2009-11-06, 03:29 PM
I liked Spirited Away as well. It was quite enjoyable.

pendell
2009-11-06, 03:32 PM
*Storms in*

SPIRITED AWAY IS THE BEST MOVIE EVERRRR!!!!!!!!!

:smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:

.......just my two cents.

What he said. The heroine is just so charming and likeable, Haku is a helper with a mysterious past, the flying sequence is fantastic, and it's a great introduction to Japanese mythology. My wife loves it too.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Tengu_temp
2009-11-06, 03:42 PM
I like Princess Mononoke a bit more, but Spirited Away is still awesome. Miyazaki is a genius.

raitalin
2009-11-06, 03:48 PM
Yep, Spirited Away is excellent, and Ghibli consistently produces such wonderful movies its astounding.

"Howl's" might be my favorite as well.

golentan
2009-11-06, 03:52 PM
I like most of Miyazaki's work. My favorites are probably Spirited Away and Porco Rosso, depending on my mood. Laputa is fun for the airship pilots.

Pocketa
2009-11-06, 05:10 PM
I like all of the Miyazaki films except his adaption of my aunt's books. "Tales from Earthsea" or whatever it was totally missed the point of the books. Yeah, Ursula L'Guin is my grandfather's aunt or something, she wrote the "Earthsea Quartet"

Tavar
2009-11-06, 05:58 PM
I really liked this film as well. Which reminds me, I need to see his other works.

Pocketa, that's really cool. I really enjoyed the first three Eathsea books, though I've never gotten around to reading the fourth.

Jamin
2009-11-06, 07:53 PM
Call me uncultured but I just thought it was way to weird. It is just so bizarre that I could not get past it. Ponyo is one of the funniest movies I have ever seen especially when it is not trying to be funny.

Soras Teva Gee
2009-11-06, 07:59 PM
If I said it was not one of my favorite movies, it is only because I prefer so much of Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli (not *always* the same thing) even more then Spirited Away. Still a wonderful film, but if its all you've seen of Miyazaki's work be sure acquire more. Even the English adaptions tend to be consistently good ("No Cuts!"), then again it helps when you attract Disney's interest.

Vic_Sage
2009-11-06, 08:03 PM
My personal favorite Miyazaki film.

Lord of Rapture
2009-11-06, 08:12 PM
Personally, I'd rate Spirited Away as my second favorite Miyazaki film (Princess Mononoke is forever and ever my favorite.) Miyazaki's works are really good, though I kinda think his older works are overrated. Good, yes, but not nearly as good as his later works.

Tengu_temp
Call me uncultured but I just thought it was way to weird. It is just so bizarre that I could not get past it. Ponyo is one of the funniest movies I have ever seen especially when it is not trying to be funny.

It's worth noting that most of that weirdness comes directly from Japanese folklore.

truemane
Spirited Away was the first anime film any of my family had seen in the theatre. It was my second after Mononoke. Now we own all of Miyazaki's Disney Released films. We're HUGE fans. I don't even know which one I'd call my favourite. They're all so distinctive (and yet all so Miyazaki).

Probably Totaro, Spirited Away, and Mononoke Hime. Not necessarily in that order.

But then, Nausicaa is so good too. And Porco Rosso. And...

Grrrr.

Pocketa
2009-11-06, 08:15 PM
I loved Graveyard of the Fireflies, and get super annoyed when people don't know how it's related to Totoro at all.

(double feature, Totoro was meant to make the audience happy after seeing such a sad movie, contrast of pre-WWII/WWII Japan/post and a somewhat current Japan)

PirateMonk
2009-11-06, 08:22 PM
As noted above, Spirited Away is great, but Miyazaki has many better movies. If this is the first one you've seen, go watch Princess Monoke. Probably in December.

bluewind95
2009-11-06, 08:56 PM
I watched Princess Mononoke first... and loved it.

But when I watched Spirited Away... it completely blew me away. Even today, it is my favourite movie. There's just something about watching the growth of the main character, the beauty of her looking past things like looks, the way she really learns to care... it's just special.

Haruki-kun
2009-11-06, 09:04 PM
I watched Princess Mononoke first... and loved it.

But when I watched Spirited Away... it completely blew me away. Even today, it is my favourite movie. There's just something about watching the growth of the main character, the beauty of her looking past things like looks, the way she really learns to care... it's just special.

I, too, watched Princess Mononoke first. Spirited Away was just better in my opinion.

Stormthorn
2009-11-07, 12:37 AM
I, too, watched Princess Mononoke first. Spirited Away was just better in my opinion.

Then me and you shall forever be at war. Mononoke was better in my opinion.

Although those two are my favorites.

Winter_Wolf
2009-11-07, 03:17 AM
*snip*

The only thing that I found a disappointment was that it didn't last nearly long enough.

So. Who else loves the "Japanese Alice in Wonderland?"

Not long enough? Sorry, wasn't it a 2+ hour movie? But yeah, I liked it a lot. I haven't seen the English dubbed version of it, which is just as well for me, since there's just no way to translate some of the puns (which are actually kind of witty and interesting in languages other than English) without completely screwing up the joke. Which is really neither here nor there, I suppose.

But anyway, very enjoyable, did not seem as heavy handed with the environmentalism as most of his other movies. Or maybe I just didn't notice it this time. Just a nice surreal animated film. Poyo was interesting but I liked Sprited Away better. Did not care for Howl's Moving Castle at all. Laputa was a lot better. I'd still have to put Totoro and Laputa as my favorites of his works.

Atelm
2009-11-07, 04:17 AM
I like all of the Miyazaki films except his adaption of my aunt's books. "Tales from Earthsea" or whatever it was totally missed the point of the books. Yeah, Ursula L'Guin is my grandfather's aunt or something, she wrote the "Earthsea Quartet"

Wrong Miyazaki, Tales from Earthsea was directed by Hayao's son Goro. It was his first movie to boot, not bad for a first effort if one just forgets the books entirely while watching.

Also, Grave of the Fireflies was directed by Isao Takahata, co-founder of Studio Ghibli. Still an extremely good tear-jerking film.

Dispozition
2009-11-07, 04:31 AM
Honestly, I think Spirited Away is one of Miyazaki's worst movies. Certainly good, but it doesn't compare to most of is others. Nausicaa is by far the best, there's no questioning that. If you do, well...You have a different opinion, whatever :P
Mononoke, Laputa, Porco Rosso, Howl's...All amazing, Mononoke maybe slightly more so than the others. Totoro is great, but in a different way. The Cat Returns (not Miyazaki, but still Ghibli) is another of my favourites. But Spirited Away just doesn't seem to be as good. I'm not sure what it is about it, but something just makes me like it less v.v

golentan
2009-11-07, 04:49 AM
Honestly, I think Spirited Away is one of Miyazaki's worst movies. Certainly good, but it doesn't compare to most of is others. Nausicaa is by far the best, there's no questioning that. If you do, well...You have a different opinion, whatever :P
Mononoke, Laputa, Porco Rosso, Howl's...All amazing, Mononoke maybe slightly more so than the others. Totoro is great, but in a different way. The Cat Returns (not Miyazaki, but still Ghibli) is another of my favourites. But Spirited Away just doesn't seem to be as good. I'm not sure what it is about it, but something just makes me like it less v.v

Actually, Nausicaa was my least favorite to date. I thought the plot was incoherent, and while miyazaki frequently has trouble with ending things too quickly Nausicaa took it beyond the extreme. I don't know if I'd have felt the same way with a different leadup, but as it is the whole thing felt weirdly choppy. Cool world, good message, great dialogue, interesting characters, really really poor movie.

I think I have all of these on DVD somewhere or another. Cat returns is one of my favorite Ghibli non-miyazaki films (I LOVE the baron. I had a total schoolgirl crush on him all the way through... Oh wait, I still do. Closing on Ten. years. Later. Wow, I'm a loser).

Lioness
2009-11-07, 04:55 AM
I like Spirited Away, but it was sort of spoiled by the sheer number of times we watched it in year 8 and 9 Japanese.

I Love Princess Mononoke.

Dispozition
2009-11-07, 05:02 AM
Actually, Nausicaa was my least favorite to date. I thought the plot was incoherent, and while miyazaki frequently has trouble with ending things too quickly Nausicaa took it beyond the extreme. I don't know if I'd have felt the same way with a different leadup, but as it is the whole thing felt weirdly choppy. Cool world, good message, great dialogue, interesting characters, really really poor movie.

Each to their own, I suppose. I won't deny it does end quite quickly, but, that doesn't diminsh the greatness of it in my opinion :P The world is the main thing that makes it for me though.

I think I have all of these on DVD somewhere or another. Cat returns is one of my favorite Ghibli non-miyazaki films (I LOVE the baron. I had a total schoolgirl crush on him all the way through... Oh wait, I still do. Closing on Ten. years. Later. Wow, I'm a loser).

I first saw it last year after I bought it cheap overseas. I was 17 when I first saw it, total crush on the Baron. Watched it again this year, 18 years old, still have that crush. He's by far the most awesome cat ever. You're not a loser, you're just awesome.

bosssmiley
2009-11-07, 07:46 AM
Cat returns is one of my favorite Ghibli non-miyazaki films (I LOVE the baron. I had a total schoolgirl crush on him all the way through... Oh wait, I still do. Closing on Ten. years. Later. Wow, I'm a loser).

Nothing wrong with that. I have a crush on Baron too, and I'm a bloke. He is just teh sexay. :smallwink:

Spirited Away is OK, but I'd rather watch Cat Returns, Totoro, Howl's Logic-Free Wigout, or The Adventures of Hover-Loli Laputa.

Princess Mononoplot and its anvilicious allegory can just GTF away from me though. :smallannoyed:

Jagos
2009-11-07, 08:29 AM
Nothing wrong with that. I have a crush on Baron too, and I'm a bloke. He is just teh sexay. :smallwink:

Spirited Away is OK, but I'd rather watch Cat Returns, Totoro, Howl's Logic-Free Wigout, or The Adventures of Hover-Loli Laputa.

Princess Mononoplot and its anvilicious allegory can just GTF away from me though. :smallannoyed:

Oh, it has a plot, it just shoots the forest for the trees. ;)

Moonshadow
2009-11-07, 08:32 AM
...All of you suck for not mentioning Kiki's Delivery Service at all. All of you.

That said, I don't really have a favourite, all of his movies are great in my opinion. But Nausicaa was my first :smallsmile:

Mr. Mud
2009-11-07, 08:35 AM
Gah, Spirited Away was suchhhh a good movie. Must. Rewatch. Now. :smallbiggrin:

Athaniar
2009-11-07, 09:06 AM
I agree, it's a great movie. Didn't think it would be that good before I watched it. Turns out it was.

Kneenibble
2009-11-07, 02:50 PM
...All of you suck for not mentioning Kiki's Delivery Service at all. All of you.

That said, I don't really have a favourite, all of his movies are great in my opinion. But Nausicaa was my first :smallsmile:

Kiki's was awesome!
So was My Neighbour Totoro.

These movies make me so happy. :smile: They're so innocent and free. I want to live in one.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-11-07, 03:49 PM
Spirited Away was simply awesome when I watched it. Definitely one of my favorite movies ever.

Sadly, it's the only Miyazaki movie I've seen. I've tried finding the others on TV, but no luck. Maybe I'm just looking at the wrong times.

I think I vaguely remember Kiki's Delivery Service though....

Dispozition
2009-11-07, 04:46 PM
Zaaah, as if I forgot Kiki, that's another awesome one.

golentan
2009-11-07, 06:34 PM
I thought I had mentioned...

No. No I did not. I do suck.

Lord of Rapture
2009-11-07, 07:49 PM
I did not watch that one yet. And now, I need to.

The ones I did watch, from least favorite to most, are:

My Neighbor Totoro (pretty good, I just don't like the kind of movie it is)
Porco Rosso (awesome, just lacks the emotional punch of later movies)
Spirited Away (for reasons already discussed)
Princess Mononoke (my first, and for some reason, always my favorite)

I also watched clips of Naussica, (yes, I spelled that wrong, whatever), Laputa, and Howl's Moving Castle, but I never got to finish them. I might do so one day.

Trog
2009-11-07, 08:14 PM
It is an interesting movie but an altogether strange one. I prefer Howl's Moving Castle and Princess Mononoke to Spirited Away though.

Falgorn
2009-11-07, 08:33 PM
I've loved this movie ever since I was a wee little laddie, back in the farms on Scotland...*bagpipes play*....

Okay, I never lived in Scotland, but I've loved this movie from when I was younger.