PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Incarnate/Chameleon

jeek
2009-11-06, 05:13 PM
I started at level 3 with this guy... planning on prestiging into Chameleon when I hit level 6.

I'm looking for creative combos, tricks, and overall gameplans for filling various roles.

Evil Azurin Factotum 1/Incarnate 2 (Taking two more levels of Incarnate before I start Chameleon)
The Factotum level is so that I can qualify for Chameleon much, much sooner. I also that it has the side effect of helping my skill checks since I'm not paying double for various skills like a straight Incarnate would.

STR: 16
DEX: 17
CON: 14
INT: 18
WIS: 11
CHA: 10
Feats: Able Learner, Shape Soulmeld (Worg Pelt), Trickery Devotion
Skills: 6 ranks: Disguise, Bluff, Open Lock, Disable Device, Search, Spot
4 ranks: Sense Motive, Spellcraft, Concentration, Knowledge (Arcane)

For example, I wanted to be a social lying bastard, so I took Silvertongue Mask (+2 insight to Bluff/Diplomacy + 2*ESS) along with the Necrocarnum Meld (+4 profane bonus to Bluff!), along with the Theft Gloves for good measure.
--
After noticing the posting guidelines sticky immediately after posting this thread, I thought it'd be best to elaborate a bit more.

The current three levels are pretty much set in stone, and I'm leaning heavily towards proceeding, class-wise, as mentioned above, but I'm interested in clever ways to combine the Incarnate abilities (at low level) with the upcoming Chameleon abilities.

Source-wise, my DM hates to read, but is currently allowing, with the caveat of a heads-up on anything too weird, Magic of Incarnum, Races of Destiny, PHB, Spell Compendium, Magic Item Compendium, DMG. Another player at the table is also making extensive use of Libris Mortis. I've also been making heavy use of the Astral Vambraces soulmeld from Wizards.com. Additional sources of abilities would probably be allowing, as long as I don't add too many of them. The DM has extensive 2E experience, but this is his first real foray into 3.5, and I do not want to break or scare the poor fellow.

My current inventory consists of:
Healing Belt (MiC), Masterwork Thieves' Tools, Masterwork Rapier, Masterwork Greatsword, Dagger, Masterwork Studded Leather, endless food/endless water thingies from MiC, and soon I'll have masterwork tools for the Bluff and Forgery skills.

and to reiterate, what I'm primarily looking for is neat ways to combine the Chameleon and Incarnate abilities to be randomly awesome from day to day at different things, primarily focus/Bonus Feat/soulmeld/spell combinations.

Darrin
2009-11-06, 07:02 PM
what I'm primarily looking for is neat ways to combine the Chameleon and Incarnate abilities to be randomly awesome from day to day at different things, primarily focus/Bonus Feat/soulmeld/spell combinations.

Looks like your build needs just a little dash of the Haberdash (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88633).

In particular, this post (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5158609&postcount=32) looks at some of the possibilities of a Chameleon using his daily bonus feat to shape up to 10 soulmelds. You're gonna want a very high Constitution, so consider Mongrelfolk (RoDest) + Dragonborn of Bahumat (RotD) + Arctic Template (check Crystalkeep's 3.0 templates for details) or some combination thereof.

AstralFire
2009-11-06, 10:08 PM
This character is already in play; he can't alter his build or stats.

oxinabox
2009-11-06, 11:01 PM
Why Incarnate?
For more flixibility you should have binder.

that build is too narrow, you need more fleixibity.
You'll be put into a niche roll, a one trick pony.

that trick being doing every trick

AstralFire
2009-11-06, 11:09 PM

Glimbur
2009-11-06, 11:43 PM
Doesn't the Necrocarnum Touch meld only help your Bluff to feint?

What do you do in combat? Have you considered the Necrocarnum Circlet and having your very own intelligent undead minion?

Fax Celestis
2009-11-07, 12:30 AM
Use your floating chameleon feat for Shape Soulmeld and Bind Vestige.

oxinabox
2009-11-07, 12:32 AM

I wasn't suggesting (well i didn't mean to be) to change, I was asking
"why incarnate?" as in "Why did you chose incarnate, rather than binder?"

I think a one level (or even 2) into binder, would really help your day by day.
a dip at lvl 4 or 5.
alot of the 1st lvl vestages (at binder lvl 1, or 2) are very good. and they can be changed each day.
at lvl 2, you get to chose each day an abiltiy like 10 extra HP, opr a little DR. (I can't recall exactly how it works), in addition to the vistage

Gralamin
2009-11-07, 01:10 AM
To give you some ideas of what you can do...

Skill Gish:
Bonus Feat (Knowledge Devotion (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Knowledge_Devotion,all)), Elder Spirit Soulmeld (Dragon magic Page 84), Incarnate Weapon Soulmeld, Divine Spells (Divine insight (SPC 70) , Divine Power, etc.)
The idea is to fight using your skills for bonuses. Other soulmelds that help include Incarnate Avatar, Anything that increases your AC, and anything that gives more knowledge skills.

Master of Disguise:
Illusion Veil, Engima Helm, Arcane Spellcasting: You now have some rather hard to get through illusions. And underneath those illusions you probably have an actual disguise. I'm sure this can be built upon.

Basically, Decide on what you want to do, and grab whatever helps. You have a huge amount of options.

oxinabox
2009-11-07, 03:03 AM
Basically, Decide on what you want to do, and grab whatever helps. You have a huge amount of options.

and for everything else there's wands.

Preferably at above minimum Caster Lvl.

(still encougaging a binder dip)

Darrin
2009-11-07, 11:06 PM

Dragonborn of Bahumat can be added to any humanoid in play for only 100 GP. However, as an Azurin, he'd lose his first level bonus feat and most of his other racial abilities, such as the extra essense, so no, that wouldn't be a particularly good idea.

jeek
2009-11-11, 02:30 AM
Someone correct me on this if my math is wrong.. but, at level 6, with Theft Gloves shaped and the Stealth focus:
9 ranks in Open Locks and Disable Device
+4 from DEX or INT mod, depending
+8 insight from Theft Gloves (+2 from being shaped, +2 from normal point of essentia, +2 from extra point from the cap going up when I hit Incarnate level 3, and +2 from the cap going up when I hit character level 6)
+2 circumstance from masterwork tools
+2 competence from Stealth focus

for a total of +25 to Open Locks and Disable Device at level 6.

With the DC on a CR6 trap being 28 at best, am I an Aid Other away from having 100% CR-appropriate trapbusting skills?

oxinabox
2009-11-11, 04:56 AM
Someone correct me on this if my math is wrong.. but, at level 6, with Theft Gloves shaped and the Stealth focus:
{CUT}
With the DC on a CR6 trap being 28 at best, am I an Aid Other away from having 100% CR-appropriate trapbusting skills?

It's really great the way you respond to none of the responces to your orignial post.

jeek
2009-11-11, 05:31 AM
Why Incarnate?
For more flixibility you should have binder.

that build is too narrow, you need more fleixibity.
You'll be put into a niche roll, a one trick pony.

that trick being doing every trick

I like tricks, I like being able to fill gaps in the party.

Doesn't the Necrocarnum Touch meld only help your Bluff to feint?

What do you do in combat? Have you considered the Necrocarnum Circlet and having your very own intelligent undead minion?

Good call on the Necrocarnum Touch. Right now, in Combat, I use the Avatar Meld, the Bloodwar Gauntlets, and the Astral Vambraces. I've considered the Circlet, but didn't want to be dependent on fresh corpses while I'm in the city. (Current setting)

Use your floating chameleon feat for Shape Soulmeld and Bind Vestige.

Shape Soulmeld could be pretty handy, I actually do intend to use the floating feat to gain access to higher-level chakra binds later. Bind Vestige is pretty ****e, you really need all three feats for it to be worth it.

I wasn't suggesting (well i didn't mean to be) to change, I was asking
"why incarnate?" as in "Why did you chose incarnate, rather than binder?"

I think a one level (or even 2) into binder, would really help your day by day.
a dip at lvl 4 or 5.
alot of the 1st lvl vestages (at binder lvl 1, or 2) are very good. and they can be changed each day.
at lvl 2, you get to chose each day an abiltiy like 10 extra HP, opr a little DR. (I can't recall exactly how it works), in addition to the vistage

I am also a huge fan of Binder, and if the game had been gestalt, my other half would either be straight Binder or Binder/Knight of the Sacred Seal. When the party was initially divvying up roles, I had called dibs on skillmonkey, but then another guy ended up designing a rogue, so I had to put that on the backburner. But now he's switching to a Wizard so I get to go with my original plan, and Incarnate is better for the skillmonkey role than the Binder.

To give you some ideas of what you can do...

Skill Gish:
Bonus Feat (Knowledge Devotion (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Knowledge_Devotion,all)), Elder Spirit Soulmeld (Dragon magic Page 84), Incarnate Weapon Soulmeld, Divine Spells (Divine insight (SPC 70) , Divine Power, etc.)
The idea is to fight using your skills for bonuses. Other soulmelds that help include Incarnate Avatar, Anything that increases your AC, and anything that gives more knowledge skills.

I love Knowledge Devotion, but I'm not sure if I have the ranks to spare to make it worthwhile yet. I think, but I'm not sure (I'll have to check) that you have to be dragonblooded to take the Dragon Magic soulmelds.

Master of Disguise:
Illusion Veil, Engima Helm, Arcane Spellcasting: You now have some rather hard to get through illusions. And underneath those illusions you probably have an actual disguise. I'm sure this can be built upon.

Indeed, I'm trying to combine options to make sure I can fill various roles.

and for everything else there's wands.

Preferably at above minimum Caster Lvl.

(still encougaging a binder dip)

I want to gain access to the hand and feet chakra binds before I start the prestige. I do heartily enjoy Bindering, and nearly went with Factotum 3/Incarnate 1/Binder 1 as the base, but ended up wanting more essentia.

Dragonborn of Bahumat can be added to any humanoid in play for only 100 GP. However, as an Azurin, he'd lose his first level bonus feat and most of his other racial abilities, such as the extra essense, so no, that wouldn't be a particularly good idea.

On top of that, my DM seems to have a hearty dislike of variants and dragons. :/

It's really great the way you respond to none of the responces to your orignial post.

Happy now? :smallbiggrin:

oxinabox
2009-12-22, 12:08 AM
Happy now? :smallbiggrin:

Happy now:smallbiggrin: