PDA

View Full Version : 4E question.

Mystic Muse
2009-11-06, 11:21 PM
how much damage is dealt to a character if they've caught on fire? I'm trying to see if a trap will work for my group.

Mr. Mud
2009-11-06, 11:22 PM
It depends on the trap, last time I checked. Care to source it?

Mando Knight
2009-11-06, 11:23 PM
how much damage is dealt to a character if they've caught on fire? I'm trying to see if a trap will work for my group.

Depends on the fire. Is it normal fire? Lava from a Red Dragon's volcanic lair? The fires of Hell? The air of the Abyss?

I'd make it X ongoing fire damage (save ends), as appropriate for the level.

Duos Greanleef
2009-11-06, 11:25 PM
I'd make it X ongoing fire damage (save ends), as appropriate for the level.

Agreed: there is a chart in DMG2 that shows how much minion damage should be. I'd use that as a baseline for ongoing damage.

Mystic Muse
2009-11-07, 12:01 AM
it's either going to be magical fire or an oil fire.

Moff Chumley
2009-11-07, 12:03 AM
Probably 3 to 5 damage per tier.

Kylarra
2009-11-07, 12:04 AM
it's either going to be magical fire or an oil fire.Oil fire is probably D6 or 2D6, using alchemist fire as a base. Magical fire can be whatever you want.

Thajocoth
2009-11-07, 03:43 AM

I'm actually doing a custom fire trap. Mine is flammable air. If the PCs use any form of fire, including magical fire, the trap will go off dealing 2d6 fire + ongoing 5 fire to everything in the room. Acrobatics to halve the damage and get ongoing 2 instead. Since fire acts as a light source and there's no natural light in this particular cave, it might even be oddly beneficial to the players.

How severe do you want it to be? I went with a "limited low" damage amount from a few levels below the party from the chart, because I don't want it to be too much of a bother... But still somewhat of one. How often will the fire go off?

If it just goes off once, I'd choose a "limited" damage. If it goes off several times, I recommend "normal" damage. Then pick low, medium or high based on how severe you want this damage to be. And, of course, pick a row near your player's level. Low normal level 30 damage would be way too high for a level 1 party, obviously... Then, for being on fire, that's what (save ends) conditions are for. 5 per half-tier seems to be a running standard. Half that for very minor ongoing damage. Half tiers are 1-5, 6-10, 11-15, ect... Whenever a Cleric's Healing Word goes up another 1d6.