PDA

View Full Version : So what did you think of the Darren Shan movie?

Prime32
2009-11-07, 01:37 PM
A friend dragged me along to see Cirque du Freak: The Vampire's Assistant a little before Hallowe'en. I have to say, it wasn't as as bad as I was expecting, given that it was a compression of three books and was most likely motivated by Twilight. :smalltongue:

Still some odd stuff (eg. Mr. Crepsley invented the vampires' method of feeding without killing, Cormac Limbs is a woman, the Little People look like Gollum), a general lack of subtletly, and showing things which were supposed to appear as shocking secrets further down the line. While Darren's actor was painfully bad, Mr. Crepsley was awesome, and Mr. Tiny was close behind. :smallbiggrin:

All in all, a decent movie on its own, though it's definitely a loose adaptation - a bit more comical than the original and deflating its possible sequels a bit too much. I'm upset they took out the mouth-web scene though. :smallfrown:

If you have no idea what I'm talking about, here's a TVTropes link: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheSagaOfDarrenShan
Let me know when you get back. :smalltongue:

Fiendish_Dire_Moose
2009-11-07, 02:35 PM
Never read the books and the comercials leave me confused. Is it supposed to be some sort of comedy? Or a tongue in cheek jab at vampire novels?

Prime32
2009-11-07, 03:17 PM
Never read the books and the comercials leave me confused. Is it supposed to be some sort of comedy? Or a tongue in cheek jab at vampire novels?The books weren't comedy. Just... read the TVTropes page. It's vampires are... if I said they were Klingons it would be almost completely accurate - nothing overtly supernatural, just tougher than normal and can die of sunburn.

Jayngfet
2009-11-07, 03:34 PM
if I said they were Klingons it would be almost completely accurate -

Didn't know vampire princes sucked blood out their forehead ridges:smalltongue:.

Berserk Monk
2009-11-07, 03:51 PM
Darren what?

Mr. Scaly
2009-11-10, 01:25 AM
Circumstances are conspiring to keep me from seeing this movie. Give me a week or so and I may be able to say something more. :smallwink: