PDA

View Full Version : Checking an awesome combo for 3.5

DnDgeek13
2009-11-07, 04:23 PM
What would happen if you combined a spiked chain and the feat Whirlwind Attack? is there any rule against it?

gorfnab
2009-11-07, 04:29 PM
What would happen if you combined a spiked chain and the feat Whirlwind Attack? is there any rule against it?

You get the staple feat plan of almost all of the spiked chain wielder builds out there. Seriously this is an old trick. There are no rules against it. Here's a thread from 2004 on the WOTC boards detailing spiked chain wielders. Gatling Chain Gun (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19870774/Fighter20_The_34Gatling_Chain_Gun34_Tripper)

Gnomo
2009-11-07, 04:31 PM
Nothing against it, you can grow to Large to add more fun, attack everybody 20 ft from you as a full round action, trip everybody who moves.

Draz74
2009-11-07, 06:05 PM
The sad thing? This combo isn't worth it, except maybe for a high-level Fighter in a Core-Only game. The prerequisite feats are just so sad ...

Darrin
2009-11-07, 10:40 PM
The Whirling property in MIC is only a +1 enhancement, Whirlwind attack 3/day, and you don't have to waste all those feats. However, it can only be applied to a slashing weapon... but the Drow Scorpion Chain (light one-handed version of the spiked chain) counts.

Korivan
2009-11-07, 11:02 PM
The sad thing? This combo isn't worth it, except maybe for a high-level Fighter in a Core-Only game. The prerequisite feats are just so sad ...

Unless you go with a Duskblade. Did this with a Duskblade/Fighter. Used the Fighter aspect for the feats for Whirlwind, then droped it for Weapon Master. It was worth it then. But, ya, Whirlwind is pretty feat intensive. Best bet is to take it only if you need it also for something else, plan to use it HEAVILY, or, 9/10 times just go with the enchantment in the MIC. But ya, in general, what Draz said. (Though we did house rule some of the requirments with the Rebalanced Compendium, so that helped alot.)

sofawall
2009-11-07, 11:04 PM
You get the staple feat plan of almost all of the spiked chain wielder builds out there. Seriously this is an old trick. There are no rules against it. Here's a thread from 2004 on the WOTC boards detailing spiked chain wielders. Gatling Chain Gun (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19870774/Fighter20_The_34Gatling_Chain_Gun34_Tripper)

I thought it was usually more of a Combat Reflexes, Stand Still, Knockdown, Improved Trip sort of weapon.

EDIT: Yeah, that build doesn't use that feat.

Whirlwind Attack is not a good feat for this build. Tactically savvy DM's never give you an opportunity to use it anyway.

herrhauptmann
2009-11-08, 03:24 AM
I think it would be nice with a halfogre or halfminotaur warhulk. Your overall attack bonus stays about equal to a straight fighter or barbarian despite the loss in BAB because you get the str boosts.

The loss of iterative attacks doesn't matter much since you're whirlwinding, and the higher strength means an extra 1.5 points of damage per level of warhulk.
My friend made a halfogre warhulk, at level 12 his strength was in the mid 30s, it reached 40s with magic items. So that's a +15 or higher Str mod, plus bonuses for magic items and power attack. (he wasn't optimized very well, so I'm sure someone here knows a good way or three to up the damage further)

Finally, large, reach, and whirlwind means you're hitting everyone in the 96 closest squares with a respectable amount of damage.

sofawall
2009-11-08, 03:35 AM
I think it would be nice with a halfogre or halfminotaur warhulk. Your overall attack bonus stays about equal to a straight fighter or barbarian despite the loss in BAB because you get the str boosts.

The loss of iterative attacks doesn't matter much since you're whirlwinding, and the higher strength means an extra 1.5 points of damage per level of warhulk.
My friend made a halfogre warhulk, at level 12 his strength was in the mid 30s, it reached 40s with magic items. So that's a +15 or higher Str mod, plus bonuses for magic items and power attack. (he wasn't optimized very well, so I'm sure someone here knows a good way or three to up the damage further)

Finally, large, reach, and whirlwind means you're hitting everyone in the 96 closest squares with a respectable amount of damage.

When are you ever going to find thing to fit in those 96 squares? What happens if you're fighting, say, 4 guys? The lost BAB could help you take them down a lot quicker, especially since 1 BAB adds, oh 6 or so damage, on the low side.

Krazddndfreek
2009-11-08, 03:39 AM
How does BaB add damage?

EDIT: Wait, you must have meant the extra attacks from Bab.

sofawall
2009-11-08, 03:39 AM
Power Attack feat chain.

Krazddndfreek
2009-11-08, 03:40 AM
There's a feat chain?

sofawall
2009-11-08, 03:42 AM
Power Attack, Shock Trooper, Combat Brute, Leap Attack, you may want to add Frenzied Berzerker if you're feeling generous.

herrhauptmann
2009-11-08, 05:00 AM
When are you ever going to find thing to fit in those 96 squares? What happens if you're fighting, say, 4 guys? The lost BAB could help you take them down a lot quicker, especially since 1 BAB adds, oh 6 or so damage, on the low side.

Am I going to be hitting someone in every one of those squares? Unless the dm is dumb and throws a horde of single HD creatures at me(perhaps it's an army against the party) no. But if my party members are anywhere within my reach, that means I can hit whoever they're fighting as well as whoever's attacking me.
WIthout warhulk I attack 3 times, a 4th if I cleave. With warhulk I attack twice, a third if I cleave, for a higher average damage. Admittedly, the two warhulk attacks do less than three from a fighter, if all hit. Therefore, I only need to whirlwind and hit 3 enemies to have more effect as a whirlwind warhulk with chain, than as an ogre fighter with chain.

Then I just add in an effect like knockdown(any time 10 or more points of damage is dealt), and life is good for my party. Potentially 96 squares have just become AOO central.

Finally, why are we arguing on this? My friend had a blast playing the warhulk. That's the most important thing in this game. And why does it matter anyway? According to much of this board, it's the fighters job to delay enemies until the wizard finishes things. (I still get pissed when charop is 'play a wizard')