PDA

View Full Version : help statting a manipulative genius

npc revolution
2009-11-07, 05:28 PM
I'll just describe the kind of character I have in mind:
he is the right hand man to the big bad, he whispers in people's ears and makes them do things. He also gets rid of people the big bad doesn't like in a big city environment.

I was thinking maybe a combo like this:
expert 5/ wizard 3(enchanter)/ assassin 5
but let me know if this is a stupid combo

so yeah, please help

Aron Times
2009-11-07, 05:35 PM
Do you plan on having your players fight him? If not, he doesn't need stats.

Try statting him as a wizard. He'd have high intelligence and the means with which to use it (his spells). Basically, stat him as your typical evil wizard.

BRC
2009-11-07, 05:37 PM
If you have PhB 2, I'd go for Beguiler instead of Wizard.

npc revolution
2009-11-08, 04:57 AM
Do you plan on having your players fight him? If not, he doesn't need stats.

I figured the players might fight him, I reckon when the big bad finds out the players are running around foiling his plans he'll send this guy round.

also, it's just a core rules game.
To be honest, no-one in the group has any of the core stuff either.

Johel
2009-11-08, 07:16 AM

A Rogue/Sorcerer might be a tad more flexible.
You got more skill points, the spells, the sneak attack.
Str 10, Dex 12, Con 10, Int 14, Sag 12, Cha 22
Maxed Bluff, Diplomacy, Hide, Move Silently.

The minimum equipment :
For the "Sly Tongue" part :
Hat of Disguise
Cloak of Charisma
For the "Kick your ass" part :
Glove of storing
Wand of fireball

Basically, make him act like a pompous jerk, bossing around the low folk but still making friends with the higher ups. A ambassador/spy of some.
Never have him use a spell in plain sight.

Charge
2009-11-08, 09:05 AM
It would seem to me that the wizard aspect seems too ... not what you want. TO me, at least, wouldn't it be odd for you "right-hand guy" to be looking at this book everytime he tells you something. Plus, sorcerers have more charisma - thusly the obvious choice. You could try PrC into making your sorcerer a massive damage wielder - or just multliclass into some more "offensive class" - rogue, barbarian?

Douglas
2009-11-08, 09:21 AM
If you want him to be a threat in a fight, it is a very stupid combo. NPC classes should almost never be used for important characters that you expect the PCs to take seriously in combat, and Expert is the skill focused NPC class. Even a Warrior or Adept would be better. Additionally, Assassin is a rather weak PrC. A party of strictly single classed characters several levels below this guy, playing the Roles WotC Intended with virtually no optimization, would mop the floor with him easily.

If you want him to be a spellcasting sneaky type with high intelligence, I'd suggest Rogue 3/Wizard 5/Arcane Trickster X.

Jack_Simth
2009-11-08, 09:33 AM
he is the right hand man to the big bad, he whispers in people's ears and makes them do things. He also gets rid of people the big bad doesn't like in a big city environment.

so yeah, please help

How about a Psion (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/classes/psion.htm) (Telepath (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powerList.htm#telepathTelepathyDisciplinePowers))? Yeah, you've only got Core, but that's part of the SRD, which is available for free download. Granted, it's a new magic system, so it's got a bit of a learning curve, but with the Psion being Int-based, you'll have the skill points. With the Psion's Discipline of Telepathy, you'll have the class skills you want. With the Telepath Disipline, you'll have the mind-control spells. With Psionics, it's just a concentration check to seem to be sitting there drinking your glass of wine when you manifest a mind control power on someone.

pasko77
2009-11-08, 09:59 AM

so yeah, please help

Ouch, aristocrat 5 is really a downer.
I'd go whit rogue 3 / wizard 5 / Arcane trickster.
Not the most powerful build, but a funny one.