PDA

View Full Version : Fallout 3 Inquiries

Atronach
2009-11-07, 08:21 PM
I just started a new file in Fallout 3 (X-BOX 360) and decided to take part in the "Blood Ties" quest (first time). I went to all three locations to track down the family, but they were not in any of these locations. Any tips?

Kiren
2009-11-07, 08:23 PM
http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Meresti_Trainyard

BizzaroStormy
2009-11-07, 08:44 PM
Yeah, the fallout wiki is gonna be the main source for all of the info related to the game.

Atronach
2009-11-07, 10:45 PM
Thank you.

Also: I took part in the survival guide quest in which you head to the Super-Duper Mart to get food and medicine. I killed the raiders inside, got the stuff, and returned to Moira, however I did not have the speech option of telling her I completed the quest. Any ideas why that happened?

Keris
2009-11-07, 10:50 PM
Also: I took part in the survival guide quest in which you head to the Super-Duper Mart to get food and medicine. I killed the raiders inside, got the stuff, and returned to Moira, however I did not have the speech option of telling her I completed the quest. Any ideas why that happened?
Did the quest update telling you to "Return to Moira"? If it's still telling you to "Find food in the Super-Duper Mart" you'll need to return and make sure you loot the refrigerator in there, if memory serves it's to the right of the entrance.

If the quest did update but you have no speech option, then it's likely bugged. Try going back to an earlier save, or just bump your Speech skill and choose the option to lie to her.

Atronach
2009-11-07, 10:59 PM
I lied, in the end. The game did tell me "Return to Moira".

Grumman
2009-11-07, 11:14 PM
I just started a new file in Fallout 3 (X-BOX 360) and decided to take part in the "Blood Ties" quest (first time). I went to all three locations to track down the family, but they were not in any of these locations. Any tips?
In the northmost of the three, there's a ghoul that buys sugar bombs. In the back room there are some radioactive barrels, and a manhole. Go in the manhole.

Atronach
2009-11-08, 09:45 AM
Oh, I thought the place was empty because of the two ghoul scientists (or one and his lab partner). I will check out the manhole. Thank you.

Grumman
2009-11-08, 11:34 AM
Oh, I thought the place was empty because of the two ghoul scientists (or one and his lab partner). I will check out the manhole. Thank you.
No problem. Murphy actually tells you about it if you ask him about the Family.

Atronach
2009-11-08, 02:32 PM
Any ideas about what level somebody should be to go to the Galaxy News Radio HQ and fight the supermutant behemoth?

Myshlaevsky
2009-11-08, 02:37 PM
Any ideas about what level somebody should be to go to the Galaxy News Radio HQ and fight the supermutant behemoth?

You can do it without much trouble at 7 or 8. There's a Fat Man by the Behemoth but even without that it's not too hard - just keep falling back and shooting.

I left it till level 18 once and it was much more annoying. All the Super Mutants were very high-ranking and few of the GNR paladins survived.

Dhavaer
2009-11-08, 02:38 PM
You can do it at any level. Just hide in either the GNR building or the one you came through and the behemoth can't get you.

warty goblin
2009-11-08, 04:30 PM
You can do it without much trouble at 7 or 8. There's a Fat Man by the Behemoth but even without that it's not too hard - just keep falling back and shooting.

I left it till level 18 once and it was much more annoying. All the Super Mutants were very high-ranking and few of the GNR paladins survived.

I think I did it at level three or four without significant difficulty. I just shot it a lot and stayed out of its way. Mininuking may also have occured.

The fights afterwords were a bit awkward because I was rather low on bullets

Atronach
2009-11-08, 08:22 PM
Do you guys think a level 4 guy is ready for Three Dog's quest?

Inhuman Bot
2009-11-08, 08:47 PM
Do you guys think a level 4 guy is ready for Three Dog's quest?

Depends on your skill, gear, and build.

If, say, you found the Firelance, then yeah, probably.

If your best weapon is brass knuckles, probably not.

Atronach
2009-11-08, 08:51 PM
Well I have several hundred energy cells for a laser pistol, and approximatley 900 caps. I have some other nice weapons too, but the laser pistol is my best...

Also skills, perks, special: all out swift learner, best skills are small guns and energy weapons, best special is intelligence.

-Baldur-
2009-11-09, 07:57 PM
Well I have several hundred energy cells for a laser pistol, and approximatley 900 caps. I have some other nice weapons too, but the laser pistol is my best...

Also skills, perks, special: all out swift learner, best skills are small guns and energy weapons, best special is intelligence.

Mmm well there's a Fatman in the yard with the Behemoth anyway, on one of the fallen soldiers, so you can pretty much take out the Behemoth at any level. But getting there at levels 1-3 might be difficult due to your absolute uselessness with weapons. And just a hint. Don't raise small guns AND energy weapons, absolutely pointless. Raise one or the other. You find enough ammunition for both in the game to warrant focusing.

Also, Energy Pistol uselss against behemoth, even the Laser Rifle struggles, you want either the Missile Launcher or Fat man.

Also, 900 caps not so much when buying ammo for weapons, probably kick it up to 4,000 before purchasing heavily. Otherwise, scavenge is your friend. My favourite character was an energy weapon sniper bounty hunter, great at talking, energy weapons, lockpick, sneak and computers. Was crazy stealthy. Light step perk so I never notified the enemy by tredding on a mine or trap, great shot with the laser rifle.

Also a hint. Don't VATS mode with a laser rifle, it is percentage based (same as with the laser pistol) however with the Laser rifle and Laser Pistol, shots NOT using vats STILL fly dramatically straight at levels 50%-100% compared to regular guns. Vats is your enemy with laser weaponry for the first two shots, then when they're closing and you have a 98% hit chance, VATS away til your hearts content.

Enjoy. Hope this helped.

Miss Nobody
2009-11-10, 12:44 PM

The Laser Pistol isn't a very powerful weapon. Completing the quest is not impossible, but waiting until you gain a few more levels is a pretty good idea. You level up fairly quickly anyway. I think I was Level 7 or 8 when I completed it on my first playthrough.

Myshlaevsky
2009-11-10, 12:49 PM

You can grab the unique Plasma Rifle or Laser Rifle with a quick trip to Rivet City or Little Lamplight. Ammunition might be an issue but you get some ammo with the Plasma weapon, at least. The former is a quest reward, the latter will cost you some caps.

Mmm well there's a Fatman in the yard with the Behemoth anyway, on one of the fallen soldiers, so you can pretty much take out the Behemoth at any level. But getting there at levels 1-3 might be difficult due to your absolute uselessness with weapons. And just a hint. Don't raise small guns AND energy weapons, absolutely pointless. Raise one or the other. You find enough ammunition for both in the game to warrant focusing.

Also, Energy Pistol uselss against behemoth, even the Laser Rifle struggles, you want either the Missile Launcher or Fat man.

Also, 900 caps not so much when buying ammo for weapons, probably kick it up to 4,000 before purchasing heavily. Otherwise, scavenge is your friend. My favourite character was an energy weapon sniper bounty hunter, great at talking, energy weapons, lockpick, sneak and computers. Was crazy stealthy. Light step perk so I never notified the enemy by tredding on a mine or trap, great shot with the laser rifle.

I was able to max out Small Guns, Energy Weapons and Unarmed as my combat skills with no loss of the other skills I wanted to pursue. I wouldn't worry about raising both, just plan ahead and attend to bobbleheads and skillbooks.

The pistol is a bad weapon to use against the Behemoth, but there will be assault rifles and hunting rifles on the way there. I took it out the first time with an assault rifle I picked up at the location.

-Baldur-
2009-11-10, 04:23 PM
You can grab the unique Plasma Rifle or Laser Rifle with a quick trip to Rivet City or Little Lamplight. Ammunition might be an issue but you get some ammo with the Plasma weapon, at least. The former is a quest reward, the latter will cost you some caps.

I was able to max out Small Guns, Energy Weapons and Unarmed as my combat skills with no loss of the other skills I wanted to pursue. I wouldn't worry about raising both, just plan ahead and attend to bobbleheads and skillbooks.

The pistol is a bad weapon to use against the Behemoth, but there will be assault rifles and hunting rifles on the way there. I took it out the first time with an assault rifle I picked up at the location.

lol granted. But I don't see why you'd max out three combat skills? Energy weapons and small guns is the -exact- same thing except energy weapons entitles you to one shot plasma skills. Then maxing out unarmed WHILE maxing out to ARMED categories of weapons just seems obsolete? You'll never run out of ammunition, especially after the enclave rock up, especially if you have the Scavenger perk.

Three weapons skills maxed is just redundant, you could be maxing out two other useful skills instead.

Just nitpicking, not attacking lol.

Myshlaevsky
2009-11-10, 04:27 PM
lol granted. But I don't see why you'd max out three combat skills? Energy weapons and small guns is the -exact- same thing except energy weapons entitles you to one shot plasma skills. Then maxing out unarmed WHILE maxing out to ARMED categories of weapons just seems obsolete? You'll never run out of ammunition, especially after the enclave rock up, especially if you have the Scavenger perk.

Three weapons skills maxed is just redundant, you could be maxing out two other useful skills instead.

Just nitpicking, not attacking lol.

Erm... I think my reasoning was: I found Small Guns less hassle to use at the beginning. The other two I just like. I was building a character in the style of the Mechanizer so he walked across the wasteland alternately shooting people with his laser rifle or beating them with his giant metal (paralyzing, uhh... yeah) fists. Accompanied by his fellow robobro.

-Baldur-
2009-11-10, 04:30 PM
Erm... I think my reasoning was: I found Small Guns less hassle to use at the beginning. The other two I just like. I was building a character in the style of the Mechanizer so he walked across the wasteland alternately shooting people with his laser rifle or beating them with his giant metal (paralyzing, uhh... yeah) fists. Accompanied by his fellow robobro.

Bahaha that sounds awesome, granted. But you should of just maxed energy. You can grab a laser pistol down by the Supermart. And if you ran out of cells for that you've got your trusty fists to rely on. I think Small Weapons is the most redundant skill in the game (except for use with the Sniper Rifle, dear god that weapon makes my pants do naughty things) You never get a scoped energy weapon. Who DOESN'T love scoped weapons in games. Psh.

Klose_the_Sith
2009-11-10, 04:40 PM
Bahaha that sounds awesome, granted. But you should of just maxed energy. You can grab a laser pistol down by the Supermart. And if you ran out of cells for that you've got your trusty fists to rely on. I think Small Weapons is the most redundant skill in the game (except for use with the Sniper Rifle, dear god that weapon makes my pants do naughty things) You never get a scoped energy weapon. Who DOESN'T love scoped weapons in games. Psh.

Lincoln's Repeater + Xh... something Chinese Assault Rifle are win. Hunting rifle can take down pretty much anything you'll encounter early game in a few rounds. It's not even remotely useless :smalltongue:

-Baldur-
2009-11-10, 04:53 PM
Lincoln's Repeater + Xh... something Chinese Assault Rifle are win. Hunting rifle can take down pretty much anything you'll encounter early game in a few rounds. It's not even remotely useless :smalltongue:

Meh at the Chinese Assault Rifle, you run through bullets too quickly to warrant it being a good weapon. Granted you find a hell of a lot of bullets for assault rifles, but why bother when you can One shot dust enemies with the laser rifle or Plasma rifle. The laser rifle just makes sense. And the spread of it's shot is minimal compared to the assault rifle, especially at a distance. The Laser rifle is precision killing at it's finest.

Suuuuuure you can just pump bullets into the bodies and decimate them that way. Where's the fun in that though? You want the enemy dead before they close range.

Klose_the_Sith
2009-11-10, 05:30 PM
Meh at the Chinese Assault Rifle, you run through bullets too quickly to warrant it being a good weapon. Granted you find a hell of a lot of bullets for assault rifles, but why bother when you can One shot dust enemies with the laser rifle or Plasma rifle. The laser rifle just makes sense. And the spread of it's shot is minimal compared to the assault rifle, especially at a distance. The Laser rifle is precision killing at it's finest.

Suuuuuure you can just pump bullets into the bodies and decimate them that way. Where's the fun in that though? You want the enemy dead before they close range.

Considering how cramped and claustrophobic the game is, having a gun that cuts down the ones who are dumb enough to close (you could also use the terrible shotgun - good fun that) is very useful, especially for a new player who isn't that sure of their own abilities.

Additionally, you can one hit pretty much anything with Lincoln's Repeater - get enough luck going and it's basically a guaranteed critical. Then things fall down and bleed to death. Sure the laser rifle is precise, but in damage terms the average one is feeble and the unique's aren't that much better. Sure it just breaks down to personal taste, but you get a much better output with STEEL.

-Baldur-
2009-11-10, 05:37 PM
Considering how cramped and claustrophobic the game is, having a gun that cuts down the ones who are dumb enough to close (you could also use the terrible shotgun - good fun that) is very useful, especially for a new player who isn't that sure of their own abilities.

Additionally, you can one hit pretty much anything with Lincoln's Repeater - get enough luck going and it's basically a guaranteed critical. Then things fall down and bleed to death. Sure the laser rifle is precise, but in damage terms the average one is feeble and the unique's aren't that much better. Sure it just breaks down to personal taste, but you get a much better output with STEEL.

But with Better Criticals, a luck of 3-5, and Grim Reapers Sprint? You're one shot killing a whole group of enemies repetitively. Add to that the Plasma rifle that liquifies pretty much anything when you've maxed Energy Weapons? The end walk with Liberty Prime was a park walk for me. I liquified an enemy in VATS, came out, VATS, liquidate, VATS, liquidate. The -entire- way through. Admittedly, not much fun, but broken in powerfulness. Hell, add sneak in there for the Dungeon crawls and you've got the baddest mofo out there (except the Unarmed Master, who's beating the crap out of Deathclaws with his fists, that character makes me mess my pants with delight) lol. I concur though, personal taste does take precedent. I just adore the silent sniper character.

Klose_the_Sith
2009-11-10, 08:20 PM
But with Better Criticals, a luck of 3-5, and Grim Reapers Sprint? You're one shot killing a whole group of enemies repetitively. Add to that the Plasma rifle that liquifies pretty much anything when you've maxed Energy Weapons? The end walk with Liberty Prime was a park walk for me. I liquified an enemy in VATS, came out, VATS, liquidate, VATS, liquidate. The -entire- way through. Admittedly, not much fun, but broken in powerfulness. Hell, add sneak in there for the Dungeon crawls and you've got the baddest mofo out there (except the Unarmed Master, who's beating the crap out of Deathclaws with his fists, that character makes me mess my pants with delight) lol. I concur though, personal taste does take precedent. I just adore the silent sniper character.

I had no trouble with the end game either. The whole thing is epic, but incredibly easy. Like ... really really easy xD

Don't even get me started on the ending :smallsigh:

It's true, you can liquefy hostiles very easily with energy weapons ... you can also do the same thing with bullets except that then you have corpses to play with.

Corpses are awesome :smallbiggrin:

-Baldur-
2009-11-10, 09:25 PM
I had no trouble with the end game either. The whole thing is epic, but incredibly easy. Like ... really really easy xD

Don't even get me started on the ending :smallsigh:

It's true, you can liquefy hostiles very easily with energy weapons ... you can also do the same thing with bullets except that then you have corpses to play with.

Corpses are awesome :smallbiggrin:

Corpses are.....awesome? lol. Suuuure. :-P

Can the Cannibal Perk eat dust/liquidations? I can't remember. Mehhh as I said. Bullet spread is wide and varied at a distance (except the hunting rifle and sniper), even then though, precision award goes to energy weaponry. Hell, you could just frag grenade everything in the game. Or Bottlecap mine. Ohhhhh Bottlecap mine *messes pants* The bane of the Death Claw.

Hell, get the pyromaniac perk, pick up a flamer, max out heavy weapons and toast everything in the game.

Atronach
2009-11-10, 09:49 PM
Does anybody have any ideas about good quests for a level four guy?

warty goblin
2009-11-10, 09:54 PM

My advice: just wander around and do stuff. Keep saves from a ways back so if you end up in really deep fecal matter, you're not totally screwed, but just walk around. That's really the beauty of a Bethesda RPG. It's not about the quests, it's about the exploration.

Plus, at least at low levels the game is simply not that hard IMHO.

-Baldur-
2009-11-10, 09:55 PM

All quests barring the main one are good quests for any level. The difficulty scales with the level you're at. You can complete most quests. Try Tenpenny towers quest (Kill Roy) however if you want to take the peaceful solution you should raise your speech skill to 80-90% first.

Take the Bloodlines quest (again if your speech is high) this quest can be found in the first city.

Take the "Those!" quest for Bryan Wilks (Wylks?), as long as you have one weapons skill sufficiently high it shouldn't be too difficult.

Atronach
2009-11-10, 10:01 PM
Thank you -Baldur-.

Kiren
2009-11-10, 10:05 PM
Seriously Those! at level 4, that's a death sentence.

-Baldur-
2009-11-10, 10:09 PM
Seriously Those! at level 4, that's a death sentence.

Whaaaat? No way! 12 Frag grenades, 20 frag mines (obtained in mine field) an energy pistol with energy weapons at 60-70% (easily done) and you're sweet.

There's mostly worker ants at level 4, few soldiers, use the mines and grenades on the Royal Bodyguards. Quest done.

Kiren
2009-11-10, 10:13 PM
The way I remember it was I was ducking into the houses, very much on fire, running for my life, around level 1-10, first play through, but I have only done the quest at high levels on my more recent characters.

Edit: Oh right, I was very much under armed with my first character.

Atronach
2009-11-10, 10:15 PM
Oh yeah! I remember Those from an old file that I destroyed the stats of from inexperiance. Those is suicide!

-Baldur-
2009-11-10, 10:19 PM
Oh yeah! I remember Those from an old file that I destroyed the stats of from inexperiance. Those is suicide!

Guyssss. What were you doing? You NEVER get close enough to let the ants set you on fire. Sneak attack with the hunting rifle/laser pistol. Then pop down a mine (one will be fine) lure them onto the mine, then as they close, pop a few rounds into them while backing up. Bullets+Mine of death=Dead bug.

Kiren
2009-11-10, 10:20 PM
It was my first play through, I was severely under armed at the time. And low on ammo.

Mewtarthio
2009-11-10, 10:21 PM
I completed Those! around level five-ish. It's not that hard once you get into the Metro.

-Baldur-
2009-11-10, 10:22 PM
I completed Those! around level five-ish. It's not that hard once you get into the Metro.

Yerrrrp. I find sneak to be one of the best skills in the entire game. Free criticals constantly? Who wouldn't want that.

Kiren
2009-11-10, 10:25 PM
Ya, I can complete it easy now,

anyone ever try a no death run on the hardest difficulty?

-Baldur-
2009-11-10, 10:25 PM
It was my first play through, I was severely under armed at the time. And low on ammo.

Ahhh yeah. Don't do Those! without ammo. lol certain death most certainly awaits.

Unless you're an unarmed 100%'er. Even then though, you'll struggle without either the Power First and/or the Perk that raises 5pts damage per point.

-Baldur-
2009-11-10, 10:28 PM
Ya, I can complete it easy now,

anyone ever try a no death run on the hardest difficulty?

I amped the difficulty once for a No Death run. God damn Death Claws.

Run. Seriously. Drop some mines and run like hell.

Do. Not. Engage. The. Deathclaws.

Green Bean
2009-11-10, 10:31 PM
Heh. Those! was one of the first missions I did on my virgin runthrough. By the subway station I was down to about 20 bullets for my 10mm pistol. I ended up having to quicksave and quickload a few dozen times to get through it with no wasted shots, and I still had to beat the last guardian to death with my bare, untrained, fleshy hands. Good times. Of course, now I carry around enough ammo to single-handedly recreate World War 3, so levelling has been good to me.

Kiren
2009-11-10, 10:33 PM
I tried a few times.

I remember these

Death by falling in megaton for survival guide: 2-3

Random fall:1

Killed by pack of mole rats *No ammo at all, completely empty*: 1

Rad Scorpion:1

Max level: 6-8

warty goblin
2009-11-10, 10:35 PM
Those! is the one with the mutant firebreathing ants right? I didn't find that to be particularly difficult. Attention had to be paid to ammo and gear condition, but I do that anyways, and the hunting rifle is very good even without VATS with a bit of twitch skill. Also the ant meat kept me going pretty well.

-Baldur-
2009-11-10, 10:35 PM
I tried a few times.

I remember these

Death by falling in megaton for survival guide: 2-3

Random fall:1

Killed by pack of mole rats *No ammo at all, completely empty*: 1

Rad Scorpion:1

Max level: 6-8

Deathclaw: 1

Max level: 12

I got ****e-ed off and went to bed. lol. Never touching that game again.

Kiren
2009-11-10, 10:36 PM
Keep a mini-nuke for those rainy days.

Edit: When you can't afford to miss...... theirs the MIRV.

-Baldur-
2009-11-10, 10:37 PM
Those! is the one with the mutant firebreathing ants right? I didn't find that to be particularly difficult. Attention had to be paid to ammo and gear condition, but I do that anyways, and the hunting rifle is very good even without VATS with a bit of twitch skill. Also the ant meat kept me going pretty well.

Correct. Mutated ants. And it wasn't that difficult. Ammo and mines are they key to this quest.

As I said before, hunting rifle is fine for sniping. But I prefer the sniper rifle/laser rifle. Laser rifles damage outdoes all small guns except maybe Lincolns Revolver.

Why not just go Heavy Weapons/Sneak character. Scare the crap out of ANYONE with a fat man nuke that wipes out a 40 square meter radius of ANY life. Or pop a missile up their butt for a nice part favour to top off the night.

warty goblin
2009-11-10, 10:50 PM
Correct. Mutated ants. And it wasn't that difficult. Ammo and mines are they key to this quest.

As I said before, hunting rifle is fine for sniping. But I prefer the sniper rifle/laser rifle. Laser rifles damage outdoes all small guns except maybe Lincolns Revolver.

Why not just go Heavy Weapons/Sneak character. Scare the crap out of ANYONE with a fat man nuke that wipes out a 40 square meter radius of ANY life. Or pop a missile up their butt for a nice part favour to top off the night.

Ah, I did it at a level when my energy weapon was really beat up laser pistol, and I generally sell off most of my mines for the cash, so I pretty much just shot my way through as well. I don't think I was much more than level 5 either. I'm pretty sure I'm only level seven now, and I've done quite a bit since then.

The trick I found was to approach it like Half-Life 2, that is you can carry an ungodly number of weapons, each of which is only useful in a limited number of situations. The combat shotgun for example I found reasonably useless 95% of the time, but really really nice when I did need to make things die at close range. The hunting rifle is by far my most used weapon. Even at close range its accurate enough that with a decent Small Guns skill I can get repeated hits on a limb without using VATS fairly easily, and at long range it's like a sniper rifle for which I can actually find bullets. Also I have a boundless affection for bolt action weapons.

About the only weapon I stopped carrying was that weeny revolver which I never used and the 10mm pistol, which I discarded for the SMG as soon as practical.

-Baldur-
2009-11-10, 10:57 PM
Ah, I did it at a level when my energy weapon was really beat up laser pistol, and I generally sell off most of my mines for the cash, so I pretty much just shot my way through as well. I don't think I was much more than level 5 either. I'm pretty sure I'm only level seven now, and I've done quite a bit since then.

The trick I found was to approach it like Half-Life 2, that is you can carry an ungodly number of weapons, each of which is only useful in a limited number of situations. The combat shotgun for example I found reasonably useless 95% of the time, but really really nice when I did need to make things die at close range. The hunting rifle is by far my most used weapon. Even at close range its accurate enough that with a decent Small Guns skill I can get repeated hits on a limb without using VATS fairly easily, and at long range it's like a sniper rifle for which I can actually find bullets. Also I have a boundless affection for bolt action weapons.

Yeahhhh well. If you HAVE to go small weapons instead of energy weapons then I'd grab 3 things. Hunting Rifle, Combat Shotgun and SMG.

Hunting rifle for distant head shots/severe ranged damage. SMG as they are closing in. The burst fire technique works well for strafing 2-3 incomings. And the ONLY time you should use the combat shotgun is in VATS at a distance of about 2-5 meters, and even then ONLY aiming at their head. Headshots with the combat shotgun in VATS are deadly as hell.

You can clear a dungeon just with Combat Shotgun headshots.

Which brings us to your MOST important skill: Repair.

Nobody wants to be continuosly buying weapons and armour.

Do. Not. Not. Max. This. Skill.

Yes, double negative. Not repeating myself.

Green Bean
2009-11-10, 11:09 PM
With a maxed small guns skill and the unique Combat Shotgun, you don't even need VATS at close range. The damage rate on that thing's obscene.

Heck, with the way damage calculation works, it can get even crazier. With a decent Sneak score and some Stealth Boys (or Chinese Stealth Armour), you get ridiculous crit stacking. I have honestly sneaked up to Behemoths and blown off their heads in a single hit. It's quite inspiring.

-Baldur-
2009-11-10, 11:11 PM
With a maxed small guns skill and the unique Combat Shotgun, you don't even need VATS at close range. The damage rate on that thing's obscene.

Heck, with the way damage calculation works, it can get even crazier. With a decent Sneak score and some Stealth Boys (or Chinese Stealth Armour), you get ridiculous crit stacking. I have honestly sneaked up to Behemoths and blown off their heads in a single hit. It's quite inspiring.

What's the unique shotgun/where's it found? Chinese Stealth Suit armour is in one of the expansions? Yes? I just had x360 full version. *sad face*

Kiren
2009-11-10, 11:12 PM
I'm mostly energy weapons, special plasma rifle (from rivet city), Gauss Rifle (Anchorage), Tesla cannon (Broken steel). And some others I can't remember.

Kiren
2009-11-10, 11:13 PM
What's the unique shotgun/where's it found? Chinese Stealth Suit armour is in one of the expansions? Yes? I just had x360 full version. *sad face*

Buy the expansions, more weapons, armor, great story lines, the expansions are all fun.

-Baldur-
2009-11-10, 11:15 PM
Buy the expansions, more weapons, armor, great story lines, the expansions are all fun.

*le sigh* i sold the xbox and games so that me and the partner could get a Wii. Damn sexy women needing to come before video games.

*le sigh again* lol

Kiren
2009-11-10, 11:17 PM
Wii has some pretty good games out for it. Theirs some good shooters too.

warty goblin
2009-11-10, 11:20 PM
*le sigh* i sold the xbox and games so that me and the partner could get a Wii. Damn sexy women needing to come before video games.

*le sigh again* lol

Heretic. Real gamers know that companionship is fleeting, but five hundred meter headshots are forever.

...I'm so alone...:smallwink:

-Baldur-
2009-11-10, 11:20 PM
Heretic. Real gamers know that companionship is fleeting, but five hundred meter headshots are forever.

...I'm so alone...:smallwink:

Bahahaha. You remind me of...how's the spelling go? Xcbd?

-Baldur-
2009-11-10, 11:21 PM
Wii has some pretty good games out for it. Theirs some good shooters too.

*stares* Sorry? Shooters? On...wii?

:-| Dear god person!!! Share! What shooters on Wii?!!?

Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins
2009-11-10, 11:41 PM
Well, there's Metroid.

*cough* Seriously, I like energy weapons as much as the next guy--more, perhaps, since I don't have to look at those damn scorpions anymore if they get liquified or disintegrated--but I'm also rather enamored by small guns.

'Course, that might be because when I got back from Point Lookout I had an unhealthy appreciation for sneaking up on things with the double-barreled shotgun. Heh.

'Course, there's something about the rhythmic chinking of power armour as you sprint across the Wastes that keeps me from staying a sneaking sneaker all the time.

(plus I prefer the aesthetic of power armour + hat)

-Baldur-
2009-11-10, 11:44 PM
Well, there's Metroid.

*cough* Seriously, I like energy weapons as much as the next guy--more, perhaps, since I don't have to look at those damn scorpions anymore if they get liquified or disintegrated--but I'm also rather enamored by small guns.

'Course, that might be because when I got back from Point Lookout I had an unhealthy appreciation for sneaking up on things with the double-barreled shotgun. Heh.

'Course, there's something about the rhythmic chinking of power armour as you sprint across the Wastes that keeps me from staying a sneaking sneaker all the time.

Metroid. Cough, Dos't thou not like'st Metroid?

Is it terribly pathetic on Wii? *sad face*

Green Bean
2009-11-10, 11:50 PM

You can find the unique shotgun (The Terrible Shotgun) on a fellow named Smiling Jack. You'll either have to kill him or reverse-pickpocket it to get it, but he's evil, so it won't affect your karma. You can find him indoors at Evergreen Mills.

Plus, as a bonus, he repairs stuff. Get him to repair your whole inventory before you kill him, and you'll get your money back.

2009-11-10, 11:51 PM
My cough changes the subject in a noticeable way.

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption is a good game. I enjoyed it heartily. Other than that, I have not kept up to date on what crazy things Nintendo is doing. I kind of stopped paying attention after Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

Look upon my armour, Ye Mighty, and despair.

-Baldur-
2009-11-10, 11:58 PM
You can find the unique shotgun (The Terrible Shotgun) on a fellow named Smiling Jack. You'll either have to kill him or reverse-pickpocket it to get it, but he's evil, so it won't affect your karma. You can find him indoors at Evergreen Mills.

Plus, as a bonus, he repairs stuff. Get him to repair your whole inventory before you kill him, and you'll get your money back.

AHHHHH DAMMMMMMIT! I ran STRAIGHT past that guy simply because he said he's a friend. Grrrr Frig.

-Baldur-
2009-11-11, 12:00 AM
My cough changes the subject in a noticeable way.

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption is a good game. I enjoyed it heartily. Other than that, I have not kept up to date on what crazy things Nintendo is doing. I kind of stopped paying attention after Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

Look upon my armour, Ye Mighty, and despair.

Didn't like Super Smash Brothers Brawl? I shall have to look into Metroid Corruption.

2009-11-11, 12:01 AM
Don't you TALK to people, man? 'Cause, like, I talk to people. If you don't talk to people, how are you ever going to meet the craziest of all possible Wolfgangs?

[edit] *sigh* Yes, son. I like Brawl. That's why I stopped paying attention afterwards.

-Baldur-
2009-11-11, 12:06 AM
Don't you TALK to people, man? 'Cause, like, I talk to people. If you don't talk to people, how are you ever going to meet the craziest of all possible Wolfgangs?

[edit] *sigh* Yes, son. I like Brawl. That's why I stopped paying attention afterwards.

Bahaha sorry. Missed the afterwards.

NeoVid
2009-11-11, 02:20 AM
Heh... my main weapons were the unique Scoped .44, which was better for my build than Lincoln's Repeater, and later the unique Plasma Rifle.

Though I might have been going too far on that playthrough, since by the end I had all that along with being followed around by Charon with the t-51b, Paladin Cross with Tesla Armor and a Plasma Rifle, and Fawkes, with the usual.

Anyway, new, low level character trying to get ahead? this should help. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5871852&postcount=3)

Kiren
2009-11-11, 06:08 AM
I heard the Conduit was a good shooter game for wii, look into that.

Triaxx
2009-11-11, 07:17 AM
Nah, Prime 3 is a great game, but he was coughing because it's not technically supposed to be a shooter.

Who needs energy weapons? Nuka grenades are the way to go.

Myshlaevsky
2009-11-11, 08:12 AM
Nah, Prime 3 is a great game, but he was coughing because it's not technically supposed to be a shooter.

Who needs energy weapons? Nuka grenades are the way to go.

I never really use grenades, because I get twitchy in using up supplies of something that could conceivably run out. Having played through with skill in solely Unarmed, Small Guns and Energy Weapons as well as all three of them I can say any weapon skill will make it fine. The hardest would probably be big guns (sure you can get a Flamethrower quick, but you'll run out of ammo) followed by Unarmed, Energy Weapons and Small Guns. The latter is easiest simply because you can have a Sniper Rifle, Hunting Rifle, Sawn-off or Combat Shotgun and a bunch of miscellany by level 3. I did Those! the first time at level 5 using mainly a Combat Shotgun and a Hunting Rifle and it was very easy. I snuck my way through the tunnels and when outside I got high and started lining up shots, shotgunning them when they got close.

Nothing really compares to taking out a Deathclaw with a Deathclaw Hand, though. Simple as that.

Somebloke
2009-11-11, 08:23 AM
Seriously Those! at level 4, that's a death sentence. Frag mines and sneaky headshots with the chinese rifle. Boy Those! ants are dumb...

Mewtarthio
2009-11-11, 10:05 AM

You, too? Once I got Power Armor training, I wore the best armor I could find plus the Shady Hat for the rest of the game. I honestly don't know what it is that makes that combination look so awesome.

warty goblin
2009-11-11, 10:09 AM
Frag mines and sneaky headshots with the chinese rifle. Boy Those! ants are dumb...

I can never find the gorram Chinese rifle. Probably because its not real popular amounst the Super Mutants downtown, who constitute my usual prey.

Atronach
2009-11-11, 10:49 AM
How difficult is the Galaxy News Radio quest that you get from Three Dog? Does anybody have good tactics ideas, or things that I need to be aware of (like surprises, boss battles, etc.)?

Grumman
2009-11-11, 10:59 AM
How difficult is the Galaxy News Radio quest that you get from Three Dog? Does anybody have good tactics ideas, or things that I need to be aware of (like surprises, boss battles, etc.)?
Are you sneaky? Do you have a hunting rifle? Then you should be fine. Just don't go picking fights you don't have to on the Mall.

Atronach
2009-11-11, 11:01 AM
I do not have a hunting rifle, the closest thing I have to that is an assault rifle, and I have the minimum sneak score.

warty goblin
2009-11-11, 01:00 PM
I do not have a hunting rifle, the closest thing I have to that is an assault rifle, and I have the minimum sneak score.

The it comes down to the following: How good are you at shooting moving targets in the head, predicting rnemy cones of fire, and taking advantage of cover?

The good news is that you will acquire a hunting rifle fairly quickly. But really, don't worry about it. The worst that can happen is that you get in over your head, in which case you run screaming into the wasteland, then fast travel somewhere safe.

Kiren
2009-11-11, 02:02 PM
Inside the building you will find some stealth boys, 1-2 should be enough if your quick enough.

-Baldur-
2009-11-11, 04:38 PM
I heard the Conduit was a good shooter game for wii, look into that.

Ahhhhh I think I shall. New release? Older?

Definitely needs to be more of these games on Wii. Anyone know if Time Crisis is on Wii?

Loved that game.

-Baldur-
2009-11-11, 04:40 PM
The it comes down to the following: How good are you at shooting moving targets in the head, predicting rnemy cones of fire, and taking advantage of cover?

The good news is that you will acquire a hunting rifle fairly quickly. But really, don't worry about it. The worst that can happen is that you get in over your head, in which case you run screaming into the wasteland, then fast travel somewhere safe.

Hunting rifle from Megaton is available for like 42 dollars. Hell...if you do the first quest (Survival Guide) one to three of the raiders inside the supermart carry a hunting rifle.

Failing this, Sniper Rifle is acquired on the Minefield quest, with at least 30 bullets. With precise aiming this should carry you through til the hunting rifle is acquired. That being said, take ALL the mines in minefield, sell them, and you'll have more than enough to purchase the rifle.

-Baldur-
2009-11-11, 04:45 PM
I never really use grenades, because I get twitchy in using up supplies of something that could conceivably run out. Having played through with skill in solely Unarmed, Small Guns and Energy Weapons as well as all three of them I can say any weapon skill will make it fine. The hardest would probably be big guns (sure you can get a Flamethrower quick, but you'll run out of ammo) followed by Unarmed, Energy Weapons and Small Guns. The latter is easiest simply because you can have a Sniper Rifle, Hunting Rifle, Sawn-off or Combat Shotgun and a bunch of miscellany by level 3. I did Those! the first time at level 5 using mainly a Combat Shotgun and a Hunting Rifle and it was very easy. I snuck my way through the tunnels and when outside I got high and started lining up shots, shotgunning them when they got close.

Nothing really compares to taking out a Deathclaw with a Deathclaw Hand, though. Simple as that.

Heavy Weapons maxed+Pyromaniac= 2 burst kills. Especially at later levels when a lot of Super Mutants are carrying heavy weapons.

But DO make sure you raise either small guns and/or energy weapons to about 50 just so if you do run out of weapons you've got that lucky back up. Deathclaw hand comment agreed though. Pure awesome when you beat the crap out of a deathclaw and haven't used any weapons. Plus I don't think mines count as weapons, if you're good enough to melee with a Deathclaw, then lure it on to a mine you've previously placed, you're bad ass.

I found Big guns a really good skill to have though. The minigun is purely useless however.

Myshlaevsky
2009-11-11, 04:55 PM
Hunting rifle from Megaton is available for like 42 dollars. Hell...if you do the first quest (Survival Guide) one to three of the raiders inside the supermart carry a hunting rifle.

Failing this, Sniper Rifle is acquired on the Minefield quest, with at least 30 bullets. With precise aiming this should carry you through til the hunting rifle is acquired. That being said, take ALL the mines in minefield, sell them, and you'll have more than enough to purchase the rifle.

You can also get a hunting rifle from the barn next to the bandit overpass, along with some ammunition. More ammunition can be obtained from Silver's house, and stolen without her noticing. The bandits on the overpass have a flamethrower, some grenades and a sniper rifle too.

-Baldur-
2009-11-11, 05:01 PM
You can also get a hunting rifle from the barn next to the bandit overpass, along with some ammunition. More ammunition can be obtained from Silver's house, and stolen without her noticing. The bandits on the overpass have a flamethrower, some grenades and a sniper rifle too.

Be sure to repair the flamethrower though as it's almost always nearly broken. The sniper rifle too. Just get Moira to repair 'em.

I didn't know Silver's house carried ammo though. Normally I just kill her and take that 400 (or talk her out of 'em with a character with high speech)

So.....

Who destroys and does not destroy Megaton? I'm curious. And why as well?

I did both.

The second time when I destroyed it I did it for caps. It was too much to pass up and my character was going to be evil anyway. But it really does rob you of a resupply point. But....then I guess you get tenpenny towers anyway, and Rivet City later.

Mr.Bookworm
2009-11-11, 05:34 PM

There's actually a free Sniper Rifle right outside of Megaton. Run around the edge to the right of the gate, and keep cursor-ing the mouse formations, and you should find a hollow rock with some stuff in it.

Also, I spent the entire game running around in the Regulator Duster and Shady Hat. Dying a couple of times due to lack of armor was made up for by looking awesome.

I've destroyed it a couple of times, but the second time I did all of the quests there first, looted every single thing in the village, killed everyone, and then blew it up.

-Baldur-
2009-11-11, 05:37 PM
There's actually a free Sniper Rifle right outside of Megaton. Run around the edge to the right of the gate, and keep cursor-ing the mouse formations, and you should find a hollow rock with some stuff in it.

Also, I spent the entire game running around in the Regulator Duster and Shady Hat. Dying a couple of times due to lack of armor was made up for by looking awesome.

I normally just take Talon company armour. There's too much of it lying around/cropping up/at their base to not utilise it.

Power armour is pretty infrequent until later levels.

And even with the regulator duster you can't find replacements unless you get access to their base via the contract killer perk.

Willis888
2009-11-11, 06:43 PM
I've destroyed it a couple of times, but the second time I did all of the quests there first, looted every single thing in the village, killed everyone, and then blew it up.

Thats great :belkar:

Lone Wanderer: "Sure Mr. Johnson, I'll blow the town up for you. But first I'm going to murder everyone in it by hand."

*kills everyone*

Mr. Johnson: "Wait a minute, now you don't have to set of the . . ."

*boom*

Mr. Johnson: "?@^&!!!"

Triaxx
2009-11-11, 07:12 PM
So, I've read all the topics, and all the tips, and am a vet of Oblivion and the first three Fallout games (1,2, Tactics). What should I know before I get into it? And what should I forget from those games?

-Baldur-
2009-11-11, 07:18 PM
Thats great :belkar:

Lone Wanderer: "Sure Mr. Johnson, I'll blow the town up for you. But first I'm going to murder everyone in it by hand."

*kills everyone*

Mr. Johnson: "Wait a minute, now you don't have to set of the . . ."

*boom*

Mr. Johnson: "?@^&!!!"

Bahahahaha that was brilliance. Made me actually lol.

Well done good sir, well done.

warty goblin
2009-11-11, 07:50 PM
So, I've read all the topics, and all the tips, and am a vet of Oblivion and the first three Fallout games (1,2, Tactics). What should I know before I get into it? And what should I forget from those games?
Compared to Oblivion:

Shoot things more, stab things less. In Oblivion building an archer character took effort, in FO3 it would be hard not to build a dude with guns.

Recovering health is more difficult. Merely waiting won't do the trick anymore, you need to actually sleep in a bed. You also can't make potions. Stimpacks are pretty much healing potions though, and a lot of wildlife drops meat that can be eaten for some health along with a few rads.

Managing radiation is trivial. I've swam the Potomic and been fine.

Repair is even more borked than it was in Oblivion. Now instead of just burning through Hammers, you need parts from a similar item for repairs. That's actually pretty cool. The weird part is that the maximum condition you can repair something to is a function of your Repair skill. So a novice can take a gun in terrible condition and turn it into a gun in slightly less terrible condition, but only a true master can take a nearly new gun and perform minor repairs.

VATS is your God now. The way you pay tribute is with headshots. Spend a lot of time watching guys get their skulls blown apart in slow motion, and the God will smile upon you, bestowing victory and loot, the latter often recovered from eyeballs. You can also shoot other body parts, but barring some funky terrain getting in the way, headshots are where it's at. Shooting the grenade somebody's about to throw at you is also acceptable tithe. Shooting guys in the legs is for losers.

The Wasteland is a diverse place with a wide palate of five colors. Grey, brown, greyish brown, muzzleflash and gore.

Check your FPS instincts at the door for the most part. Until you get a fairly good skill, you can't hit crap outside of VATS with most guns. The aiming is jerky, circlestrafing is made difficult by that weird floatiness that always seems to pop up in Bethesda titles. The exception to this rule are the scoped guns, and the assault rifle at close range where spraying and praying while waiting for VATS to recharge is perfectly acceptable. Later on, with a decent Small Guns skill, you can actually play the game like a shooter again.

The minigun is amusing for exactly seven seconds, which is how long it takes to realize that the sumbitch you're shooting at is still alive.

-Baldur-
2009-11-11, 07:57 PM
Compared to Oblivion:

The minigun is amusing for exactly seven seconds, which is how long it takes to realize that the sumbitch you're shooting at is still alive.

I concur. Could they have made it any more useless? In most other FPS it tears apart the enemy. Fallout, not only is the aim terrible, effectively hindering you from shotting enemies any more than 3 meters away, but when they ARE three meters away, your better off handing them a grenade and waiting than shooting them with that gorram gun.

SurlySeraph
2009-11-11, 08:00 PM

Exception: a couple places where they don't want you to go without a radiation suit that just have ridiculously high radiation. None of these are really worth going to.

Shooting guys in the legs is for losers.

Exceptions: when against Deathclaws, and when using the Railway Rifle.

Other than that, spot-on and useful advice.

-Baldur-
2009-11-11, 08:07 PM
Exception: a couple places where they don't want you to go without a radiation suit that just have ridiculously high radiation. None of these are really worth going to.

Exceptions: when against Deathclaws, and when using the Railway Rifle.

Other than that, spot-on and useful advice.

Even with deathclaws, one leg shot is somewhat acceptable. But just drop two bottlecap mines then get their attention. Gore awesome explosion! Huzzah!

SurlySeraph
2009-11-11, 08:46 PM
Also, having read through the thread now:

Frag mines and sneaky headshots with the chinese rifle. Boy Those! ants are dumb...

Chinese rifle? HA! When I was your age, I did Those! at level 4, with nothing but a 10mm pistol and a pool cue, still wearing the security officer's armor from the Vault. And I was grateful! Damn kids these days, with their laser beams and power armor...

EleventhHour
2009-11-11, 08:54 PM
VATS is your God now. The way you pay tribute is with headshots. Spend a lot of time watching guys get their skulls blown apart in slow motion, and the God will smile upon you, bestowing victory and loot, the latter often recovered from eyeballs. You can also shoot other body parts, but barring some funky terrain getting in the way, headshots are where it's at. Shooting the grenade somebody's about to throw at you is also acceptable tithe. Shooting guys in the legs is for losers.

No, no. Limbs are acceptable. It's torso shots :smallyuk:, that are truely against our Lord VATS. Limbs are simply not a good tribute.

Five seconds, if you're playing it on a harder difficulty. At which point you not only realise that thier alive, but that they've killed you.

-Baldur-
2009-11-11, 09:22 PM
No, no. Limbs are acceptable. It's torso shots :smallyuk:, that are truely against our Lord VATS. Limbs are simply not a good tribute.

Five seconds, if you're playing it on a harder difficulty. At which point you not only realise that thier alive, but that they've killed you.

Minus five seconds before you realise anything is wrong, not only is the person still alive, a Death claw has ripped your head off and is playing soccer with it while your minigun is STILL trying to kill that molerat. *winks*

Triaxx
2009-11-11, 09:26 PM
Compared to Oblivion:

Shoot things more, stab things less. In Oblivion building an archer character took effort, in FO3 it would be hard not to build a dude with guns.

So no surprise melee only sections?

Recovering health is more difficult. Merely waiting won't do the trick anymore, you need to actually sleep in a bed. You also can't make potions. Stimpacks are pretty much healing potions though, and a lot of wildlife drops meat that can be eaten for some health along with a few rads.

Mmmm... Deathclaw Wings. :smallbiggrin:

So it's what poison was in Oblivion?

Repair is even more borked than it was in Oblivion. Now instead of just burning through Hammers, you need parts from a similar item for repairs. That's actually pretty cool. The weird part is that the maximum condition you can repair something to is a function of your Repair skill. So a novice can take a gun in terrible condition and turn it into a gun in slightly less terrible condition, but only a true master can take a nearly new gun and perform minor repairs.

Sounds like it makes sense, but perhaps I'll be looking for a mod to fix it.

I eagerly await the coming of the altar.

The Wasteland is a diverse place with a wide palate of five colors. Grey, brown, greyish brown, muzzleflash and gore.

My favorite colors!

Check your FPS instincts at the door for the most part. Until you get a fairly good skill, you can't hit crap outside of VATS with most guns. The aiming is jerky, circlestrafing is made difficult by that weird floatiness that always seems to pop up in Bethesda titles. The exception to this rule are the scoped guns, and the assault rifle at close range where spraying and praying while waiting for VATS to recharge is perfectly acceptable. Later on, with a decent Small Guns skill, you can actually play the game like a shooter again.

Scopes are my friend. I will not forget about my spray and pray. Or shotguns.

Seven seconds? Wow, that's how long it used to take to burn through all my ammo.

Pray tell, are Deathclaws still rendered utterly defenseless by crippling their left arms?

Anything special you prefer to others to look out for?

EleventhHour
2009-11-11, 09:31 PM
Pray tell, are Deathclaws still rendered utterly defenseless by crippling their left arms?

Legs. You go for the legs, now. The arms don't even bother them. Headshots don't bother them, much. :smalleek:

-Baldur-
2009-11-11, 09:32 PM
Legs. You go for the legs, now. The arms don't even bother them. Headshots don't bother them, much. :smalleek:

Unless it's a Head shot with a mininuke, he is indeed correct. *Le sigh* @ their awesome deadliness

Starbuck_II
2009-11-11, 09:50 PM

The "lazer minigun" Gatling gun is awesome. I'm not sure why they made the actual minigun suck so bad.

warty goblin
2009-11-11, 10:12 PM
I used melee a good bit when escaping the vault, because I had a lot more baseball bat than bullet, but by the time I made level 2, I really didn't need melee weapons anymore. When I found a Ripper, I held on to that, because it's a freaking chainsword, but I don't use it very often.

The molerat 'repellant' stick is an exception. It saves time and an aweful lot of bother and bullets.

Mmmm... Deathclaw Wings. :smallbiggrin:
I'm rather partial to Giant Ant Meat, or some of the finer cuts of mole rats. Both are readily available.

When those are not available, you're down to drinking pure water if you have it, or more likely scavenging dirty water. Do not, if you can avoid it, drink from the toilets. They carry more radiation per health restored than other water sources. Sinks and bathtubs are much better choices.

So it's what poison was in Oblivion? Even less of a worry actually. The thing is, it takes oodles of radiation to even inflict the most minor of drawbacks, and both preventative and curative medication is fairly easy to come by. Moreover, since you don't suffer any negatives until you've got a bucket of rads, there's no reason to cure the stuff until it gets high enough to start causing major problems.

Sounds like it makes sense, but perhaps I'll be looking for a mod to fix it. The real cure is just amping the bejeezus out of you Repair skill. You'll want to do that anyway, since better repaired guns do more damage (which saves ammo) and better condition items sell for more. I think that two very damaged items usually sell for more than the single repaired weapon, but repairing the pair together saves a lot of weight. Weight usually isn't a huge worry, but it does add up.

I eagerly await the coming of the altar.
I suggest not taking the Bloody Mess perk. The +5% damage is nice, and having a single headshot blow people into a limbless trunk is amusing...for a while. Then it just gets ridiculous and boring.

My favorite colors! I forgot to mention that most subtle of hues: Flying Eyeball.

Scopes are my friend. I will not forget about my spray and pray. Or shotguns.
My experience with shotguns is that they work much better in VATS. The combat shotgun (aka the only common shotgun worth carrying) in particular is aweful handy for blasting dudes in slo-mo. Out of VATS I found the damage to be lackluster. Be aware that Fallout 3 shotguns are very much videogame shotguns, so unless you're close enough to count the radiation burns on that ghoul, hold your fire. 12ga. shells don't, unlike 10mm and 5.56mm rounds, grow on trees (or sadistic bandits, as the case may be).

Seven seconds? Wow, that's how long it used to take to burn through all my ammo.
Exact times may vary. Point is, it's boring as hell. If you like fighting Super Mutants you'll get bushels of ammo for the thing though.

Pray tell, are Deathclaws still rendered utterly defenseless by crippling their left arms? Haven't met any. Don't know.

Anything special you prefer to others to look out for?
I don't think I've found any real special stuff in my playthrough of Fallout 3. Rocket Lauchers are nice, the Fat Man is worth keeping around for situations when things have to die yesterday.
And to help you on your way, here's my simple catagorization of (nearly) everything in Fallout 3.

Humans: There are only four types of people in the world.

People you are incapable of killing.
People you don't need to kill, but can kill if you want to.
People you need to kill only after talking to them. Sometimes if you say the right thing, you don't need to kill them.
People you simply need to always kill.

Fortunately, in the Wasteland, these individuals have shown basic gaming courtesy and dressed according to their type. Group 4 in particular should be applauded for its tireless efforts to wear spikey, kinky, or otherwise offputting and ugly garments with names like 'Painspike.' Group 1 is identifiable by being children or having better then average or celebrity voicework.

Creatures, nicely enough, only fall into one real catagory:

Animals that you probably need to kill.

Sometimes you can go around them, but there's no reason to, unless it seems likely that fighting them will be a net negative for your overall state of being.

Ghouls:
Ghouls fall into two catagories:

The ugly naked suckers you find underground. These you need to kill.
The ugly clothed suckers you find in 'civilized' areas. You can identify these because they'll talk endlessly about how people who don't understand are always trying to kill them, or how greatful they are that you aren't trying to kill them. At some point this will make you want to kill them.

Super Mutants:
Super mutants level up significantly over the course of the game, so they'll usually present a challenge. However they really only come in two catagories.

Supers with melee weapons.
Supers with guns.

The thing to remember is that you aren't Neo, and so can't really dodge bullets. Dodging melee dudes isn't that hard, and they can often block bullets intended for your tender flesh. As a general rule, kill the gun dudes first if you have any room to maneuvre. If it looks like a hormonal green freak with a sledgehammer could easily back you into a corner and rearrange your internal architecture, shoot that one first. It's also important to remember that a VATS headshot will often stun a Super for a moment, which is a good way of getting one of them off of your ass for a moment without draining all of your AP

Finally VATS:
When you pull up VATS, you get those little hit chance percentages. Usually these account for intervening terrain pretty well, Watch out for stuff like protruding ReBar though, as it can block bullets and isn't taken into account in the calculations. Nothing sucks more than queuing up a half dozen headshots into somebody, then having them all blocked.

Note that these accuracy calculations are not per bullet, but per 'burst.' For some weapons, like the hunting rifle, shotguns or the 10mm pistol, a burst is one bullet. For the assault rifle its three or four bullets, for the minigun its a whole bunch. So when you queue up three attacks with the Assault Rifle, you'll fire 12-15 bullets, but essentially only have three chances of doing damage.

Name_Here
2009-11-12, 12:40 AM
Oh and make sure to stock up on Psycho and Med-X. That 25% increase in damage and 25% damage reduction goes a good long way and the drawbacks are minimal at best. And it's not like you won't find boatloads of the stuff just lying around so there really isn't any reason not to Boost your character past the limits of the Human Body.

Grumman
2009-11-12, 03:47 AM
I haven't. My character is a goody two-shoes, and not the sort of person who blows up innocent people for fun and profit. She even said sorry to Arkansas for using him to get to the slavers.

I recommend the Enhanced Weather mod. The trip from Agatha's house to Megaton doesn't seem that far until you get caught in a radioactive rainstorm. I made it home with 988 rads.

Anung Un Rama
2009-11-12, 07:56 AM
I haven't. My character is a goody two-shoes, and not the sort of person who blows up innocent people for fun and profit. She even said sorry to Arkansas for using him to get to the slavers.

In an hilarious contrast, my character made satan look like a lolcat-I cant think of a non-invincible secondary character who i havent killed. After the ridiculous amounts of caps you get for doing the dlc and selling all the non-unique items you find, (alien crystals-were they there for anything except selling?) i bought every frag grenade i could find and with sneak maxed out, systematically went round every person in megaton and reverse pickpocketed
them with live grenades. Sadistic? I know :D

Zeful
2009-11-12, 08:30 AM

I've had the exact opposite experience, I could never hit reliably in VATS compared to manually shooting, and when I did I always did far less damage than normal, so I pretty much shelved it for anything other than the mysterious stranger perk (which was a waste in hindsight).

Green Bean
2009-11-12, 08:50 AM
I prefer using the FPS mode whenever I can, but there's one important caveat if you're a stealthy type. You see (children), when you shoot an unaware enemy outside of VATS, you get the Sneak Critical on your first shot. However, if you shoot an unaware enemy in VATS, the critical is on your first "action". This doesn't make a different with pistol and shotguns, but with automatic weapons that shoot more than once per VATS shot, it's a huge difference in damage.

Triaxx
2009-11-12, 12:03 PM
Does the game force you to level? Or can you choose to remain at your current level?

warty goblin
2009-11-12, 12:06 PM
Does the game force you to level? Or can you choose to remain at your current level?

You can remain at your current level by never gaining XP. Once you level up though, you can't leave the screen until you've spent all your points and chosen your Perk. The screen pops up pretty much instantly after gaining a level, although it does wait until all hostiles in the immediate vicinity are dead first.

So yeah, you pretty much gotta level. The system is pretty intuitive though, so I wouldn't worry about it. I don't even really like leveling up in games RPGs, but I found Bethesda's implimentation of SPECIAL to be fairly painless.

Ikialev
2009-11-12, 12:41 PM
BEcause Bethesda's SPECIAL didn't do anything. It was just there for perks.

Oslecamo
2009-11-12, 12:47 PM
So yeah, you pretty much gotta level. The system is pretty intuitive though, so I wouldn't worry about it. I don't even really like leveling up in games RPGs, but I found Bethesda's implimentation of SPECIAL to be fairly painless.

Specialy because it's so easy to gain skill points that it's child's play to be good at everything at 10th level and master of everything as you max out.

Wich is specialy satisfying for picklock and science. Soon, no door will stand in your way.

Also, +1 for the minigun being useless. I used to walk with one, untill I realized an hunting rifle would do more damage.

EleventhHour
2009-11-12, 03:38 PM
Also, +1 for the minigun being useless. I used to walk with one, untill I realized a hunting rifle would do more damage is the best weapon in the game.

Seriously. The things are amazing. Other guns might be better damage, shot-per-action point, or all kinds of things, but I always seem to score more criticals with Hunting Rifles, and the really low percentage VATS shots always hit for me when I use one. Two miles away? 2% chance to hit the left leg? Not only will it hit, it'll give the cool critical-cam view where you follow the tracer round up until it blows thier leg off. :smalltongue:

Did I mention the ammo for it is everywhere?

warty goblin
2009-11-12, 04:02 PM
BEcause Bethesda's SPECIAL didn't do anything. It was just there for perks.

Which is pretty much just fine with me. Perks, even the boring ones, have far more personality than high Strength.

NeoVid
2009-11-12, 04:12 PM

No, but there's a surprise Small Guns only section in Operation Anchorage. With Small Guns being the most practical combat skill, that's not a big deal.

You're forced to level, and the game scales to your level. When you get much past level 20, the Wasteland gets pretty boring as the only surviving enemies will be Albino Giant Radscorpions, and some Mutant Overlords and Ghoul Reavers.

Ikialev
2009-11-12, 05:31 PM
Which is pretty much just fine with me. Perks, even the boring ones, have far more personality than high Strength.

It's not how it should be.

Triaxx
2009-11-12, 07:17 PM
No option to change it to level up on rest ala Oblivion? Because buried in the default config files for Oblivion is this line: bInstantLevelUp=0 Set to the default you only level when you rest, but set to 1 you level as soon as you have the skills. Might be worth looking for to see if it's there?

No, but there's a surprise Small Guns only section in Operation Anchorage. With Small Guns being the most practical combat skill, that's not a big deal.

Yeah, I was referencing the start of 2, where you'd drop in with a character designed around shooting things and then have to fight through with melee weapons or unarmed.

You're forced to level, and the game scales to your level. When you get much past level 20, the Wasteland gets pretty boring as the only surviving enemies will be Albino Giant Radscorpions, and some Mutant Overlords and Ghoul Reavers.

So Broken Steel doesn't help much? And is reaching twenty as hard as Oblivion was? No random collisons with trees causing me to ragdoll? :smallamused:

Keris
2009-11-12, 07:38 PM
No option to change it to level up on rest ala Oblivion? Because buried in the default config files for Oblivion is this line: bInstantLevelUp=0 Set to the default you only level when you rest, but set to 1 you level as soon as you have the skills. Might be worth looking for to see if it's there?
It's not there, but I manually entered the line and will check to see if it makes any difference next time I play.

And is reaching twenty as hard as Oblivion was?
Reaching level 20 in Fallout 3 is far from "hard". Many people reach it just doing the main storyline. There's a reason I choose to use a Slower Levelling mod set to 10% exp. gain.

NeoVid
2009-11-12, 11:23 PM
So Broken Steel doesn't help much? And is reaching twenty as hard as Oblivion was? No random collisons with trees causing me to ragdoll? :smallamused:

Broken Steel improves a lot of things, but the level cap increase can make things pretty annoying, as a lot of NPCs will be killed by random things, and you and some of the followers become stupidly powerful to an unnecessary degree.

warty goblin
2009-11-12, 11:27 PM
My problem with FO3 was that as soon as I got to a reasonable level, it started getting less fun. Fights were still challenging, but not in an interesting way. Earlier they had been lethal things, only prolonged by the terrible accuracy of the combatents. Resources were scarce, and sometimes I had to use a less than ideal gun because I was out of bullets. At a higher level I felt it just degenerated into a mindless attrition of hitpoints, which took bloody forever because everybody had so many.

I guess the problem is that the survivalist fantasy only works for me if I feel like I'm barely squeaking by. As soon as I get powerful, it sort of kills the joy.

Grumman
2009-11-13, 01:48 AM
Are there any player housing mods that people recommend? I've tried the RR Companion Vault, but unfortunately the flaws (particularly the poorly implemented NPCs) outweigh what looked like a good mod. I really can't stand mods that add NPCs without the voice acting to back it up.

Starbuck_II
2009-11-13, 07:02 AM
It's not there, but I manually entered the line and will check to see if it makes any difference next time I play.

Reaching level 20 in Fallout 3 is far from "hard". Many people reach it just doing the main storyline. There's a reason I choose to use a Slower Levelling mod set to 10% exp. gain.

I reach 20 before the main stortline is over. I do the side quests and usually hit 19 before freeing my dad.

Somebloke
2009-11-13, 08:11 AM
I can never find the gorram Chinese rifle. Probably because its not real popular amounst the Super Mutants downtown, who constitute my usual prey.When you side with the Sheriff in 'Power of the Atom' and kill the guy wanting to blow up the town, you can be the envy of every level 1 player.

Of course I still died plenty until I figured out VATS/mine placement...

Somebloke
2009-11-13, 08:23 AM
I have to say, despite some of the issues (stupid gun! fire straight!) Fallout 3 is a LOT easier to play than Oblivion, not the least that I don't have to sit there and worry about getting another 5 pointless skill raises in Unarmed to ensure a +5 strength raise (mudcrabs everywhere called this time 'the harrowing') and the atmosphere is so much better. The ruins of DC, the swearing and sexual references, the near-survival horror feel of stalking around almost entirely unlit service tunnels while feral ghouls gibber and howl around you...this isn't even counting just wandering the wastes, preying on Reavers and listening the 'Three Dog' do his thing.

The only downside is that my Cheesecake Libido takes a terrible pummelling every time a reaver female's head goes flying off her shoulders to roll to a stop on the other side of the room. I just gave up on head shots after that.

Green Bean
2009-11-13, 09:23 AM
The only downside is that my Cheesecake Libido takes a terrible pummelling every time a reaver female's head goes flying off her shoulders to roll to a stop on the other side of the room. I just gave up on head shots after that.

Aw, but isn't it fun when a head shot somehow blows off every limb on a foe's body?

Shnezz
2009-11-13, 09:29 AM
A headshot blasting off some extra limbs? Pssh. If you want major fun times, max strength, take all the ranks in iron fist you can (for +15 dmg per unarmed hit), get Bloody Mess and find yourself a power fist. (Best Unarmed Weapon that I know of in base game only, no expansions.)

I made an unarmed/explosives only build with this. Godlike. A punch literally sometimes makes their body DISINTEGRATE.

50+ dmg per unarmed hit. 1-2 shots takes down a basic super mutant, and 3ish for a brute.

To put this in perspective, I beat the big guy outside 3-dog's radio station with punching. With spiked knuckles even. (And ~60 stimpacks and the help of the Brotherhood, but whatever.)

Myshlaevsky
2009-11-13, 09:31 AM
A headshot blasting off some extra limbs? Pssh. If you want major fun times, max strength, take all the ranks in iron fist you can (for +15 dmg per unarmed hit), get Bloody Mess and find yourself a power fist. (Best Unarmed Weapon that I know of in base game only, no expansions.)

I made an unarmed/explosives only build with this. Godlike.

50+ dmg per unarmed hit. 1-2 shots takes down a basic super mutant, and 3ish for a brute.

To put this in perspective, I beat the big guy outside 3-dog's radio station with punching. With spiked knuckles even. (And ~60 stimpacks and the help of the Brotherhood, but whatever.)

Well, with Spiked Knuckles you have a big increased chance of activating paralysing palm.

Without expansions, the Deathclaw Hand is superior to the Power Fist. This is because it ignores all armour, has a higher crit rate and in VATS will almost always critical.

Shnezz
2009-11-13, 09:35 AM
Well, with Spiked Knuckles you have a big increased chance of activating paralysing palm.

Without expansions, the Deathclaw Hand is superior to the Power Fist. This is because it ignores all armour, has a higher crit rate and in VATS will almost always critical.

Point taken, and considered. I forgot about that, because I have not once found the bloody recipe for the thing and I refuse to look up things like that. (So please don't say "Oh, it's here!")

Triaxx
2009-11-13, 11:41 AM
Ah, so not like Oblivion in that regard. Good. I want to be getting stronger, not progressively easier to kill. :smallannoyed:

Though I suppose the more powerful weapons help some eh?

Aside from the weapons the game throws at you, what weapons do you go out of your way to get first?

Zeful
2009-11-13, 11:55 AM
Ah, so not like Oblivion in that regard. Good. I want to be getting stronger, not progressively easier to kill. :smallannoyed:

Aside from the weapons the game throws at you, what weapons do you go out of your way to get first?

Everyone else here will say Lincoln's Repeater, but you really don't need to. A Hunting Rifle and a Chinese Assault Rifle are all you really need. The first is a no-drift (the bullet's going where the reticule is, every time) powerful rifle with a very high crit modifier, the second is a very common powerful automatic weapon that you use after unloading the Hunting rifle against deathclaws, Yaoi Guis, Super Mutant Behemoths, and similar obstructions. Small guns and Sneak are you're two important skills, right before Repair, Lockpick and Science. I recomend Tagging Small Guns, Lockpick, and Repair.

Oslecamo
2009-11-13, 01:09 PM
My personal combination is chinese assault rifle for close combat and plasma rifle for long range sniping.

And the shiskebash for when I feel like seting stuff on fire. BURN BABY BURN MUAHAHAH! Yes I took the pyro perk.

Cristo Meyers
2009-11-13, 01:17 PM
I always found a power fist just because using it in VATS always amuses the hell out of me. There's just something about punching a Gary clone and having his arm fly off...

Somebloke
2009-11-14, 05:15 PM
Wow. Just finished it way ahead of schedule.

I saved prior to it and then went ahead, expecting to be able to get to a good point to save.

I really, really expected to just turn off the computer before the end part. I really, really did.

There was just too much awesome.

DESTROY COMMUNISTS!

Green Bean
2009-11-14, 05:32 PM
I like it when my headshots blow off a Supermutant's head, right arm, and left leg, because it just proves how good the Lone Wanderer is at trick shots.

warty goblin
2009-11-14, 06:01 PM
I like it when my headshots blow off a Supermutant's head, right arm, and left leg, because it just proves how good the Lone Wanderer is at trick shots.

I always explain that as hydrostatic shock. Really, really severe hydrostatic shock.

-Baldur-
2009-11-17, 10:03 PM

The laser rifle and the Shishkebab (when I have pyromaniac and melee maxed anyway)

Laser rifle takes care of long range head shots, wearing the enemy down. The shishkebab....Well...seriously could there be a sexier weapon in the game? A big ass flaming sword that kills in one hit on a sneak, two on a normal MAXIMUM?

Hell take melee and heavy weapons and go a flamer/Shishkebab wielding bringer of fiery death.

Triaxx
2009-11-18, 06:11 AM
It has arrived and after a little trouble with G4WL, I'm loving it even though I'm not out of the Vault yet.

Somebloke
2009-11-18, 08:02 AM
It has arrived and after a little trouble with G4WL, I'm loving it even though I'm not out of the Vault yet.

It gets better. So much better.

Triaxx
2009-11-18, 02:36 PM
So I'm seeing. Walking from Megaton to Canterbury Commons because you're over loaded with loot is really not fun I've noticed.

Zeful
2009-11-18, 03:48 PM
You get loaded down pretty easily. I started designating places to store things when I was overburdend. The Super-Duper mart, The mailbox right outside of Springvale are good places.

Starbuck_II
2009-11-18, 04:17 PM
You get loaded down pretty easily. I started designating places to store things when I was overburdend. The Super-Duper mart, The mailbox right outside of Springvale are good places.

I like the Family's hideout. Big space, places to put stuff, and even a frig. And most things don't evaporate there.

Although, you have to kill the them (Family). But there weren't nice people anyway.

-Baldur-
2009-11-18, 04:23 PM
So I'm seeing. Walking from Megaton to Canterbury Commons because you're over loaded with loot is really not fun I've noticed.

You shouldn't ever really get weighed down. When you're twenty off being weighed down, you drop your load in megaton/rivet city/tenpenny tower. There's never really a loot big enough to weigh you down in one go (unless it's an armoury and you're already carrying too much stuff). Dump the non necessities. Fission batteries, pressure cookers, chessboards, really...you can handle to lose anything that isn't a weapon, and you can handle to lose most forms of armour. I made my 20,000 off weapon selling alone. Oh and cigarette cartons. Those things weigh nothing but pump your cash pretty quick. Hell if your struggling for cash, make a few bottle mines (sensor modules, lunch boxes and cherry bombs are all extremely easy to come by).

Zeful
2009-11-18, 04:50 PM
I like the Family's hideout. Big space, places to put stuff, and even a frig. And most things don't evaporate there.

Although, you have to kill the them (Family). But there weren't nice people anyway.

The Family weren't nice? It's effectively a kind of Cannibals Anonymous and taught self-control and restraint to it's members. They were odd, but they were nice.

Starbuck_II
2009-11-18, 04:55 PM
The Family weren't nice? It's effectively a kind of Cannibals Anonymous and taught self-control and restraint to it's members. They were odd, but they were nice.

He stalked the town. He just casually walks in when the boy is turning and feeds on the parents.
Sure, he talks a good game, but he is as vile as any Lawful Evil dude.

Cristo Meyers
2009-11-18, 05:01 PM
He stalked the town. He just casually walks in when the boy is turning and feeds on the parents.
Sure, he talks a good game, but he is as vile as any Lawful Evil dude.

The boy fed on the parents...not him.

Triaxx
2009-11-18, 07:32 PM
Well... I stopped to terminate some raiders mid-way between the Commons and the firefight at the Bethesda Ruins. I picked up a flamer that I didn't want to loose and didn't want to have to start all over at the Super-Duper Mart.

I'm extremely glad of The Vault though. I missed the door to Doc Lesko for Those! without it. Been to Rivet City, passed the Citadel, swam the Potomac a couple of times. Picked up a .44 and a Fatman, and a Missile Launcher. Now I'm mod hunting. Weapon Mod Kit, Motorcycle, and slower degredation are first on the list. Difficulty seems about right so any other suggestions?

Grumman
2009-11-19, 04:50 AM
There's never really a loot big enough to weigh you down in one go (unless it's an armoury and you're already carrying too much stuff).
I'm guessing you haven't been into The Pitt, Mothership Zeta, or anywhere you need to run an Enclave gauntlet. I go into those carrying about 5 units of weight (light clothing and a pistol), and come out hundreds or thousands of units over the limit. It doesn't help that you can't bring followers to share the burden, either.

Or maybe I'm just too much of a pack-rat.

Now I'm mod hunting. Weapon Mod Kit, Motorcycle, and slower degredation are first on the list. Difficulty seems about right so any other suggestions?
I'd recommend DCInteriors, Enhanced Weather and the core Survival of the Fittest - Needs mod. I also use the companion mods for Bittercup and Sydney, and a modified version of Afro's Nuka-Cola mod.

Starbuck_II
2009-11-19, 09:13 AM
The boy fed on the parents...not him.

No, the boy killed the parents. He never fed on them. That was Vincent's deal: he (his men) would feed on them so the boy wouldn't be suspected.
Remember what Vincent said: once you feed it is over, but the boy never got the chance to feed so he still has a chance.

How he happened to be there at that exact time? He was stalking the family I think.

JediSoth
2009-11-19, 10:38 AM
My latest character has been using Lincoln's Repeater in VATS mode most of the, though I keep the unique Plasma Rifle around for use against heavily armored opponents like the Enclave. And the Shiskebab (with Pyromaniac), of course, for when I'm REALLY angry with someone...or fighting bloatflies, dogs, and molerats. I'm going to carve my initials in Harold with the Shiskebab, too.

I have her decked out in Ranger Battle Armor (was using Metal Master Armor from the Pitt until I saved Reilly's Rangers), Three-Dog's Headwrap, and the Lucky Shades. I also have the Magic 8 Ball, and I picked up the Luck Bobblehead as soon as I could, so most of the time, when I shoot someone in the head in VATS with Lincoln's Repeater, their head comes right off.

And yes, I had to kill Three-Dog. The SOB kept insulting me on the radio. And I don't believe you can eat the goo or ashes from vaporized opponents. The other bodies lying around are tasty though. Nothing like restoring health with a hunk of a Regulator and washing it down with a rad-free +20 HP bloodpack.

Green Bean
2009-11-19, 10:51 AM
No, the boy killed the parents. He never fed on them. That was Vincent's deal: he (his men) would feed on them so the boy wouldn't be suspected.
Remember what Vincent said: once you feed it is over, but the boy never got the chance to feed so he still has a chance.

How he happened to be there at that exact time? He was stalking the family I think.

According to Vance's followers, he has a "sixth sense" about detecting other cannibals. Make of that what you will.

Somebloke
2009-11-19, 11:59 AM
According to Vance's followers, he has a "sixth sense" about detecting other cannibals. Make of that what you will.Well, the gang were harassing the townsfolk before the incident, so while they aren't truly evil they clearly had a brutish attitude towards outsiders.

Somebloke
2009-11-19, 12:05 PM
Just ran through the Dunwich building. Nice, but my play style meant that I missed some of the dialogue and flashbacks.

Vault 106 is still the creepiest, though.

Green Bean
2009-11-19, 02:14 PM
Is that the white noise one, the Gary one, or the one man and a crate of puppets one?

Keris
2009-11-19, 02:24 PM
D: None of the above. Vault 106 is the one where psychoactive drugs were released into the air filtration systems.

Somebloke
2009-11-19, 02:32 PM
Is that the white noise one, the Gary one, or the one man and a crate of puppets one?

Great. Now I won't sleep tonight unless all the vaults are explored.

Green Bean
2009-11-19, 02:40 PM
Great. Now I won't sleep tonight unless all the vaults are explored.

Okay, but you probably won't find the puppet one (http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Vault_77) in game.

Keris
2009-11-19, 03:00 PM
Unless you download a mod that adds it. There are a few, but from what I can tell none of them are particularly good.

Triaxx
2009-11-19, 09:49 PM
How insanely fun was Operation: Anchorage? The most fun I've had with Fallout 3 yet. The kind of simple, uncomplicated quest I like, just me a Gun and lots of enemies.

Cristo Meyers
2009-11-19, 10:04 PM
How insanely fun was Operation: Anchorage? The most fun I've had with Fallout 3 yet. The kind of simple, uncomplicated quest I like, just me a Gun and lots of enemies.

Actually I find it to be the least enjoyable. Fun toys at the end, though.

I'm torn between The Pitt and Point Lookout as favorite.

NeoVid
2009-11-19, 11:32 PM

Op: Anchorage is a beautiful thing if you use the trick to take the simulated gear with you into the real world. Especially since the sim gear pretty much never loses Condition.

"This is my simulated Gauss Rifle. It makes your head actually explode."

warty goblin
2009-11-19, 11:34 PM
Op: Anchorage is a beautiful thing if you use the trick to take the simulated gear with you into the real world. Especially since the sim gear pretty much never loses Condition.

"This is my simulated Gauss Rifle. It makes your head actually explode."

"Always remember little Billy, if you believe hard enough, you can cause somebody's head to explode with a piece of computer code. Of course you do need to hack it first."

Triaxx
2009-11-20, 05:51 AM
I thought it felt like Call of Duty but with all of Fallout's fun toys. Not to mention that I cheated a bit by giving the quartermaster new requisitions and not turning in my old stuff. And taking the Gauss rifle he offered. Still can't get the hang of that out of VATS though.

Green Bean
2009-11-20, 03:29 PM
My favorite's definitely Anchorage, if only for the Chinese Stealth Suit. Least favorite is Mothership Zeta. Seriously, what was up with that one? :smallconfused:

Comet
2009-11-20, 05:44 PM
Least favorite is Mothership Zeta. Seriously, what was up with that one? :smallconfused:
The weapons were seriously cool. And the final battle felt well enough like an episode of Star Trek, so I'm happy.

Green Bean
2009-11-20, 09:53 PM
The weapons were seriously cool. And the final battle felt well enough like an episode of Star Trek, so I'm happy.

Maybe, but at its core it was a repetitive, linear dungeon crawl with about 10 minutes of mediocre story. Honestly, next time I'll just console the weapons into my inventory and go read a book instead.

Somebloke
2009-11-24, 07:57 AM
Tell me- do you lose Karma for killing the Ghouls living in Tenpenny Tower if you take the speech-based option? I'm in a vengeful mood. Ungrateful little...

Green Bean
2009-11-24, 08:02 AM
Tell me- do you lose Karma for killing the Ghouls living in Tenpenny Tower if you take the speech-based option? I'm in a vengeful mood. Ungrateful little...

Yep. Shoulda thought things through, eh? :smalltongue:

Somebloke
2009-11-24, 08:29 AM
Yep. Shoulda thought things through, eh? :smalltongue:But....they got away with murder???

I may do it anyway...

Green Bean
2009-11-24, 08:39 AM
But....they got away with murder???

I may do it anyway...

Well there was a bit of foreshadowing in the quest that it wasn't a great idea to invite the ghouls in. And by foreshadowing, I mean that the ghouls will tell you to your face that Roy Phillips plans to kill everyone in the tower. No idea why you get negative karma for killing him afterward, though.

JediSoth
2009-11-24, 02:38 PM
Probably the same reason you DON'T get negative Karma for...

...giving Ant Pheromones to Angela Staley in Rivet City so she can seduce Diego, the acolyte, in what essentially amounts to date-rape of a priest, so he'll marry her.

Cristo Meyers
2009-11-24, 02:41 PM
But....they got away with murder???

I may do it anyway...

I haven't had a chance to try it yet to see if it actually works, but at the end of Broken Steel when you're finally in control of an orbital missle sat one of the potential targets is Tenpenny Tower. You could wait and then show them the real meaning of Judgement Day...:smallamused:

Mewtarthio
2009-11-24, 03:30 PM
I haven't had a chance to try it yet to see if it actually works, but at the end of Broken Steel when you're finally in control of an orbital missle sat one of the potential targets is Tenpenny Tower. You could wait and then show them the real meaning of Judgement Day...:smallamused:

Sadly, I've heard (but not confirmed) that the game will only let you fire at either the Enclave base or the Citadel. Kind of makes you wonder why they even have those extra options...

Cristo Meyers
2009-11-24, 03:43 PM
Sadly, I've heard (but not confirmed) that the game will only let you fire at either the Enclave base or the Citadel. Kind of makes you wonder why they even have those extra options...

Rats...

On the upside, though, that saves me from starting yet another playthrough...that game will devour my soul if I let it...and its older cousins will too...

Somebloke
2009-11-24, 04:33 PM
If you absolutely have to buy one of the add-ons, what one would it be? The ongoing fight vs. the enclave sounds pretty cool.

Cristo Meyers
2009-11-24, 04:39 PM
Broken Steel, definitely. Extra storyline, fixes the ending, higher level cap...it's just the one that'll give you the most.

JediSoth
2009-11-24, 10:00 PM
Broken Steel, definitely. Extra storyline, fixes the ending, higher level cap...it's just the one that'll give you the most.

Second that. If you have a PC, I recommend buying the expansion packs, rather than downloading the content. When you buy Broken Steel that way, you also get Point Lookout (which is another really good expansion).

The only real advantage to getting The Pitt is access to the Ammo Press once you complete it; you can make your own ammo (of whatever kind you want, .32, 10mm, .44, 5.56mm, shotgun shells)

Triaxx
2009-11-25, 07:19 PM
Anyone else dislike the plot of the Pitt? Specifically the Black and Black Morality? Seriously left me wishing for a third option and the knowledge to make a mod.

TheLogman
2009-11-25, 08:02 PM
I'm reinstalling Fallout 3 on my Laptop. I know that a lot of people mod the game, and o course I've done some mods meself.

But which mods would you guys call the "essential" mods? I've seen "essential" lists that span several 100 downloads, and I'm wary about downloading that much.

So, basic suggestions? I'd say that around 20 downloads would be my limit.

JediSoth
2009-11-25, 10:45 PM
Anyone else dislike the plot of the Pitt? Specifically the Black and Black Morality? Seriously left me wishing for a third option and the knowledge to make a mod.

I actually kind of liked the fact that it was sort of a Kobiyashi Maru scenario. Both options make you choose between morally repugnant actions for the greater good; it's really a choice of whom do you believe is more capable and honest to achieve the results they claim to want.

I just wish there were some more sidequests with some of the other NPCs.

Avilan the Grey
2009-11-26, 01:48 AM
I actually kind of liked the fact that it was sort of a Kobiyashi Maru scenario. Both options make you choose between morally repugnant actions for the greater good; it's really a choice of whom do you believe is more capable and honest to achieve the results they claim to want.

I just wish there were some more sidequests with some of the other NPCs.

Basically I felt this way:

Wehrner is a shady character who used to be all happy about the situation until he had a falling out with the big guy. He is on the "humanitarian" train because it will give him back the power over the city. He uses the genuinely good-hearted people to get there (and will (probably) help them while doing so; after all there is no guarantee he will actually be a good ruler after he takes over)

Mr Ex-BoS on the other hand is the opposite; he seems to be a person that is pragmatic enough to use the raiders and the workers as a mean to an end. Plus he seems serious when it comes to actually distribute the cure when it is finished.

My choice of picking the slavers over the slaves is because:
1. Wehrner is just not trustworthy.
2. I won't kidnap a child. Period.
3. I will give an invaluable resource to someone who I don't know have the knowledge and intent to treat and use the right way.
4. No one. I mean NO one deserves being eaten alive by Troggs.

Grumman
2009-11-26, 04:35 AM
I didn't like it either.

My character is a helpful, friend-to-the-world kind of girl. Getting trapped for who knows how long in that hellhole until she either kidnapped a baby and fed her parents to the troggs or sided with a slavelord and let the raiders continue their oppression of the slaves was just depressing.

She eventually sided with the slaves, but managed to kill off the troggs before they killed the kid's mother. I'd feel a lot better about that if they'd scripted some kind of resolution for that, instead of just leaving her out there. Or if I could have told Wernher "No, *** off, I'm not releasing the troggs."

Triaxx
2009-11-26, 05:48 AM
See my character was intelligent enough to recognize why the child was the cure, but my options were still kidnap and free slaves or leave child and leave slaves. I'd have preferred to have the option to start the attack at my signal instead of have it occur as soon as I arrived. And when I realized why I wasn't going to help to have a chance to talk down the other side. And for that matter, aid them in completing the cure now, instead of later.

JediSoth
2009-11-28, 10:50 PM
Any one encounter a bug where you suddenly can't talk to anyone? My activate key still works for looting and such, but I can't interact with NPCs. I'm kinda stuck because all of my saved games with that character exhibits it (I have no idea how long I went before noticing; sometimes if I'm just exploring, I can go hours without interacting with an NPC).

I'm hoping there's a console command that can reset something, like the day my UI died.

Keris
2009-11-28, 10:55 PM
Does nothing actually happen when you try to speak with them, do they say something but the dialogue window not open (like with many nameless NPCs), or does the dialogue open, but close as soon as they finish speaking?

JediSoth
2009-11-28, 11:13 PM
Does nothing actually happen when you try to speak with them, do they say something but the dialogue window not open (like with many nameless NPCs), or does the dialogue open, but close as soon as they finish speaking?

Nothing happens; it's like I'm not pressing the button at all.

Keris
2009-11-28, 11:18 PM
Hmm, very odd. Do you still get a prompt? You may want to give enableplayercontrols a shot, if you haven't already, and if you're using mods, could you post your load order?
You might also want to ask on the BethSoft forums (http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/). Some of the people on there will know far more than me regarding bugs and whatnot.

Jibar
2009-11-30, 01:38 PM
So, recently acquiring the game and going through a whirlwind of emotions and dramas I've come to three conclusions:

1. Shootouts with Raiders are the best thing evar.
2. This is like Oblivion made good.
3. Why, Fallout, why do I suck at you?

Which then leads me to three questions.

1. Where can I leave gear safely? I have some armour I like but need to lose some weight.
2. What mods would people generally recommend? (I am grabbing the DLC soon)
3. How I not suck?

chiasaur11
2009-11-30, 01:42 PM
1. Where can I leave gear safely? I have some armour I like but need to lose some weight.

Your house, which you can get less'n two hours in.

Either disarm the bomb in Megaton or detonate it for Burke and then talk to the guy who gave the job. You'll get a key to your new home.

Zeful
2009-11-30, 02:15 PM
3. How I not suck?

1. If you don't have a house, the mailbox right outside of the vault in springvale is a good place, fast travel will place you ten feet away and enemies don't tend to spawn there.
2. I play on the 360 so, I've got no mods to recommend.
3. If you're trying to play it like a shooter, up your agility and start shooting enemies with VATS.

Starbuck_II
2009-11-30, 03:29 PM
So, recently acquiring the game and going through a whirlwind of emotions and dramas I've come to three conclusions:

1. Shootouts with Raiders are the best thing evar.
2. This is like Oblivion made good.
3. Why, Fallout, why do I suck at you?

Which then leads me to three questions.

3. How I not suck?

What weapons are you good at?
Melee is good if right in their faces, but not really if you have to run at them with a baseball bat while getting shot at.

Guns ae useful. BB gun isn't the best gun (although I've killed ghouls with it for fun). Use the pistol you get from those guards in your vault. Aim for the head if possible.

Cover is always useful.
But using Vats is recommended. This means upping Agility some.

Cristo Meyers
2009-11-30, 03:31 PM
Cover is always useful.

Addendum: wrecked cars are not cover, they are miniature nuclear bombs.

Starbuck_II
2009-11-30, 04:15 PM
They do make pretty explosions though.

Cristo Meyers
2009-11-30, 05:02 PM
They do make pretty explosions though.

Especially in the abandoned drive-in theatres...:smallamused:

I'm particularly fond of the one in-between Tenpenny Towers and that little town.

Triaxx
2009-11-30, 07:33 PM
Tree's and buildings make the best cover, but barrels will do in a pinch. Deathclaw vs. anything is hilarious to watch, because unless it can't reach the target it'll win most of the time unless it's been heavily wounded.

As for not sucking? Take advantage both of VATS and the sneak attack critical first strike. Hit them in the head and you'll instantly kill them nine times out of ten. And done from enough range, you won't alert near by enemies to your presence. I wiped out all of Evergreen Mills from the surrounding canyon walls, except those guys inside the buildings. It was awesome.

Also, your weapons skill for guns not only affects VATS accuracy, but also weapon spread in normal mode.

Somebloke
2009-12-02, 07:26 AM
Always wait until they are up close before using VATS as well...oh, and while it may be a choice thing, I found Sneak pretty damn helpful for getting that first sneak attack critical.

Oh, and at low levels, Mines are your friend and are in some areas literally lying all around the place for you to pick up.

Jibar
2009-12-02, 07:58 AM
So I'm further into the game, level 10 now, and have been using nothing but a hunter rifle for about 6 levels. I have four of them stashed at my house so I can constantly repair when necessary, and I have a huuuuuge number of weapons stored there as well.
Next queries now:

1. I've completed Operation: Anchorage. I now have what I'm led to believe is some of the best weapons in the game. Is this like the Fallout 2 Power Armour breaking?
2. Moriaty told me where to find my dad, so what quests should I pursue now? More DLC, the main story or sidequests?

Triaxx
2009-12-02, 09:11 AM
Only the Stealth Armor is really game breaking, but even so it only really allows you to get closer while sneaking, and isn't limited by time like the Stealth Boy's.

It's good for energy weapons specialists, mostly because of the Gauss Rifle which is an energy weapon.

If you've got a shotgun, don't use VATS. It does more damage outside of VATS, particularly up close.

Consider hitting up Point Lookout for the Lever-Action Rifle and Double Barreled Shotgun. They're awesomely powerful.

Cristo Meyers
2009-12-02, 09:14 AM
So I'm further into the game, level 10 now, and have been using nothing but a hunter rifle for about 6 levels. I have four of them stashed at my house so I can constantly repair when necessary, and I have a huuuuuge number of weapons stored there as well.
Next queries now:

1. I've completed Operation: Anchorage. I now have what I'm led to believe is some of the best weapons in the game. Is this like the Fallout 2 Power Armour breaking?
2. Moriaty told me where to find my dad, so what quests should I pursue now? More DLC, the main story or sidequests?

1. In the early game, yeah, that power armor is probably going to make everything insanely easy. You probably won't be threatened by much until you start running into major enemies like the Enclave. Also, in my game at least, that particular set never seems to actually degrade in condition...

2. The main story is really short, like blink and you're done short. If you have Broken Steel this is less of an issue since the game keeps going. I've honestly put off doing actual storyline missions until as late as level 15-16 before. Though Enclave troops won't begin showing up until you've finished some of the storyline.

Dhavaer
2009-12-04, 09:17 PM
I just got the GOTY edition, and the DLC disc isn't working. The autoplay doesn't run and trying to make it run or manually running the setup.exe just makes Windows Explorer freeze up. Any ideas on how to fix this? I'm using Vista, btw.

Edit: Fixed by copying the setup program into the Bethesda Softworks folder and running it from there.

Grumman
2009-12-05, 03:15 AM
It's up to you. I was past level 20 before I explored much more than the south-east quarter of the map.

I'll just say that you should go to Rivet City and speak with Doctor Li before you return to Three Dog after completing his quest. That way he'll give you the key to a weapons cache that is inaccessible otherwise.

Triaxx
2009-12-05, 07:42 AM
Heh, I was level 30 before I even talked to Moriarty. Fighting Super Mutant Overlords is not a fun experience when there are six of them on the screen at once. Even with the Fat Man.

On the other hand, God Mode through Adams Air Force base with the MIRV is. :smallbiggrin:

Jibar
2009-12-05, 09:48 AM
Point Lookout can rot in Hell.

Tribals doing more damage to me than anything else in the game. Grenades do less damage than their knives!

Going back to the Wasteland to wipe out Paradise Falls.

Cristo Meyers
2009-12-05, 11:54 AM

Tribals doing more damage to me than anything else in the game. Grenades do less damage than their knives!

The enemies in Point Lookout have this standard bonus (+35) to their base damage, so whatever they have short of a BB gun (and I've been attacked by a swampfolk with one...it was kinda weird) does quite a bit of damage. I know that on the Fallout Nexus there's a mod that will remove the bonus. Here it is (http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=7263).

Dhavaer
2009-12-05, 05:23 PM
I thought it was 'magical', irresistible bonus damage. Totaly going to download that mod either way, though.

Avilan the Grey
2009-12-05, 05:50 PM

Point Lookout is... not worth it. It is balanced to be played when you are lvl 20+ and by that time none of the loot there is better than what you already have.

Cristo Meyers
2009-12-05, 06:24 PM
I thought it was 'magical', irresistible bonus damage. Totaly going to download that mod either way, though.

It is. It's an unresistable bonus to their base damage. Whatever they have always deals an unresistable +35 as well as the normal, resisted damage.

Even my Enclave Inferno armoured, plasma rifle-wielding Paragon of the Wastes had a tough time with it...

warty goblin
2009-12-05, 06:28 PM
Point Lookout is... not worth it. It is balanced to be played when you are lvl 20+ and by that time none of the loot there is better than what you already have.

Why would you need loot as an incentive to run around a swamp shooting at mutant rednecks? I haven't played it, so may be missing something, but really, I weep for you...

Avilan the Grey
2009-12-05, 06:34 PM
Why would you need loot as an incentive to run around a swamp shooting at mutant rednecks? I haven't played it, so may be missing something, but really, I weep for you...

...Because the way it is designed and implemented. It is something wrong, game-balance wise when the "rednecks" or "special raiders" would take out any invasion of super mutants easily.

The quests are boring, and doesn't make sense. And all those "special creatures with bonuses to damage" is just lazy coding.

Starbuck_II
2009-12-05, 06:50 PM
It is. It's an unresistable bonus to their base damage. Whatever they have always deals an unresistable +35 as well as the normal, resisted damage.

Even my Enclave Inferno armoured, plasma rifle-wielding Paragon of the Wastes had a tough time with it...

It is Redneck power bonus to damage. Too bad you can't get a Redneck mutation to deal that much extra too.

Triaxx
2009-12-06, 08:56 AM
Mothership Zeta was awesome.

Last time, I brought along the Chinese Stealth Suit and light weapons when I went into Point Lookout. This time I'm bringing the MIRV. Here, have your +35 damage and several thousand more.

Dhavaer
2009-12-07, 03:28 AM
I just bought it for PC, and it's veering between okay to clunky, particularly in the Rivet City Market and Mothership Zeta. Any graphics card recommendations? I currently have a ATI Radeon HD 3450.

Avilan the Grey
2009-12-07, 04:43 AM
I just bought it for PC, and it's veering between okay to clunky, particularly in the Rivet City Market and Mothership Zeta. Any graphics card recommendations? I currently have a ATI Radeon HD 3450.

How are your graphic settings?

You win a LOT of performance (especially outdoors) by switching off water effects.
You win a lot of performance by turning down shadows.
You win a lot of performance by turning down AA.

Dhavaer
2009-12-07, 05:14 AM
Water effects, AA and shadows are all disabled.

Avilan the Grey
2009-12-07, 05:44 AM
Water effects, AA and shadows are all disabled.

Ok

On my old DELL I noticed that there was a significant boost lowering the resolution one step (in my case 1280x800 to 1024x?). And yes, the look was acceptable even though it was not the native resolution (Main menu was a little blurry, but in game it was actually looking better than 1280 without AA).

Jibar
2009-12-07, 12:01 PM
Mothership Zeta is the only place I'm having performance issues, and I think that's due to the Fellout Mod reacting funny with it.

Though I tried to do the Waste Disposal yesterday, and each time I got to the point where you fall my laptop just shut down.

Don't know what was going on there.

Dhavaer
2009-12-08, 05:16 AM
Does anyone know the console command to bring up the face modification screen?

Keris
2009-12-08, 05:55 AM
ShowPlasticSurgeonMenu. Alternately, ShowRaceMenu brings up the Gene Projector again, but that command had problems back in Oblivion, and I'm not sure if it's entirely safe to use in Fallout 3.

Triaxx
2009-12-08, 07:04 AM
Pinkerton in the front of Rivet City will do it for you. I think it's tied in with the Replicated Man quest though.

Dhavaer
2009-12-09, 05:00 AM
Thanks! In an older thread, someone had a mod that slowed EXP gain. Does anyone have a link to it?

Keris
2009-12-09, 05:31 AM
I use Choose XP (http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=2812), which allows me to adjust how much experience I gain on the fly. I've also seen recommendations for Slower Levelling (http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=97) and Arwen's Reduced XPR (http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=7674).

Dhavaer
2009-12-09, 06:55 AM
Is Choose XP compatible with Broken Steel? Apparently Slower Levelling caused crashes.

Avilan the Grey
2009-12-09, 07:20 AM
Is Choose XP compatible with Broken Steel? Apparently Slower Levelling caused crashes.

Slower Leveling works fine for me.

Keris
2009-12-09, 08:27 AM
Choose XP is fully compatible, because it uses a different method than the other two. Slower Levelling and Reduced XPR change the values for XP rewards and level boundaries to slow down your levelling, but Choose XP gives the player a perk that affects all XP gains, similar to the Fast Learner perk. This means that it's not quite as balanced as the others, but it's a far safer mod. The only incompatibility I found was with another mod which used the same hotkey for the options menu, and that took less than 5 minutes to fix with the GECK.

Jibar
2009-12-09, 02:06 PM
Eeeeuuuuuaaaaaaaarrrrrrgggghhhhhh

Mothership Zeta is one of the worst things I have ever played.
No, seriously.
I've been loving Fallout 3 ever since I got it, so I thought the DLC would be just as good and they were. They were fun and interesting, even if they cheated in Point Lookout's case.
But no, no no no Mothership Zeta sucks.
It's boring and monotonous, somehow making the fantastical setting of being abducted into a far too drawn out series of shootouts. The new weapons are dull, the enemies repetitive and none of the characters are memorable.
And then the worst part is how it runs. Oh Good God. All the new content just burns into my laptop and I can only play for about half an hour before it overheats. And then there are so many glitches! Most appalling being the Overcoat glitch where they didn't give an item the right model and then did nothing to fix it. And right now, fueling this little tirade, is an absolute beast of a boop up wherein I can't open menus, use weapons or do ANYTHING other than MOVE.
And it's not like I have an option to stop playing it, once I'm onboard there's no turning back and I've got to finish it if I want to go back to the main game I love so much, but I can't finish it because it glitched up so I can't do anything!

Argh, angry Cat-Muffin. Angry angry Cat-Muffin.

Dhavaer
2009-12-09, 02:13 PM
Agreed completely. Anchorage had a similar problem with the monotony, but at least it wasn't so buggy.