PDA

View Full Version : Epic Coupon Wins/Bargains/Steals, etc.

Pocketa
2009-11-07, 08:35 PM
Not literal thefts, of course.

Anyone have any epic coupon wins/bargains/steals to share? I love reading about them but I can't find any information about them on the Internet.

My coupon story:

My mom has a CVS card, and I have the keychain dongle on my keychain, so I can use the ExtraBucks she gets. ExtraBucks are sometimes on receipts. They're coupons with a dollar amount you can use on a ton of CVS items, if not all of them.

My purchase:

Pack of 4 Red Bulls
2 cans of CVS pringles

Should have cost me $11, but it cost me $0.

$8 for Red Bull-$5 MFG coupon-$3 ExtraBucks=$0
Buy One, Get One for CVS pringles @ $1.50 - $2 EB=$0

But I still had tax.

I just got a coupon for:

A free Monster energy drink
Free bag of Doritoes
3 free 4-packs of Monster Java
6 free 4-packs of regular Monster
1 free 4 pack of Redbull

We have short days every Monday, with school starting at 10am, so my friends are going to carry my stuff for me. <3

BizzaroStormy
2009-11-07, 08:42 PM
wow, thats a pretty nice deal. We may have to start shopping at CVS.

Pocketa
2009-11-07, 08:43 PM
You have to get a card though. Luckily, there's not a registration process, at least not at mine. They just scan it the first time and hand it to you on a sheet of plastic you can pop it out of, along with 2 key dongles. But, granted, the coupons I listed were found on the Internet.

Horatio@Bridge
2009-11-07, 08:45 PM
I worked at a grocery store and noticed that they'd marked Dr. Pepper down to $0.99 for a 2 liter. Each 2 liter came with a $1.00 off coupon. I didn't think that I'd still have to pay sales tax, but fortunately I happened to have a couple of quarters on me to cover it.

BizzaroStormy
2009-11-07, 08:46 PM
Hehe, "Dongles"

But seriously, where do you get those coupons?

DraPrime
2009-11-07, 08:51 PM
At the supermarket in which I work, some employees manage to nick some coupons for themselves, so they've got quite a steal going on there.

Pocketa
2009-11-07, 08:53 PM
Google, but I think there's a legality issue with sharing coupons. I couldn't find any for cosmetics though.

But I also got a $100 skirt for $16, as well as:

http://www.thegiantpeach.com/harajukulovers-campkawaiiwomensziphoodie.aspx

That. For $8. At Nordstrom. It apparently used to retail at $450, according to the tag.

Syka
2009-11-07, 08:53 PM
I work at Walgreens, and saw people kept using a coupon for the Yours & Mine stuff. Here's what happened:

Original Price: 20$
That month's discount made it: 15$
Coupon in Walgreens Ad made it: 10$
Coupon in newspaper made it: 5$
Plus my discount: approximately 3 dollars.

It was pretty win.

We also got a basket full of halloween goodies plus a Sunday Newspaper for 8 bucks post-Halloween. 75% off the stuff plus an extra 15% of that price. :smallbiggrin: I got votive candles for like 7 cents, etc.

We have some Super Coupon Customers. They know the exact combination to get a bunch of Register Rewards. I had a lady yesterday who probably about about 30 dollars worth of stuff and between manufacturer's coupons and Register Rewards, it was 3$. Then she got MORE Register Rewards.

I'll admit to hating CVS 'cause they're system is weird. Some sales you have to be a member to get, others are for anyone. I prefer just having sales available and not having to remember a card.

Cobra_Ikari
2009-11-07, 10:59 PM
Coupons? What are coupons?

...wait.

...purchases? What are purchases? =P

Jack Squat
2009-11-07, 11:32 PM
The grocery store I work at has some weeks that we do "triple coupons", where we triple coupons 50 cents and under instead of our normal doubling. This brings people out from the woodwork with huge amounts of coupons. I hate being a cashier when this happens, because we have to manually type in that third coupon.

Anyways, the one that sticks out in my mind was some old lady that got a bunch of Captain Crunch and peanut butter. Total: ~$116

After coupons, the total was about $11, and that was only because you still have to pay tax. I hadn't 'tripled' all the coupons at this point.

Cobra_Ikari
2009-11-07, 11:40 PM
The grocery store I work at has some weeks that we do "triple coupons", where we triple coupons 50 cents and under instead of our normal doubling. This brings people out from the woodwork with huge amounts of coupons. I hate being a cashier when this happens, because we have to manually type in that third coupon.

Anyways, the one that sticks out in my mind was some old lady that got a bunch of Captain Crunch and peanut butter. Total: ~$116

After coupons, the total was about $11, and that was only because you still have to pay tax. I hadn't 'tripled' all the coupons at this point.

...this may just be the most disturbing thing ever. Who needs $116 worth of Cap'n and PB? And who builds up $105 in 50 cent coupons? O_o

Jack Squat
2009-11-07, 11:53 PM
...this may just be the most disturbing thing ever. Who needs $116 worth of Cap'n and PB? And who builds up $105 in 50 cent coupons? O_o

There's apparently this whole underground group where people plan out what they can get for basically free with coupons. The food was probably going to be split up amongst a group of people.

Some of the coupons were for $1.00, but even disregarding that, she'd really have only needed $35 of 50-cent coupons (x3)...I think she had about that much and then another 20 or so $1.00 ones.

EDIT: I just read on another forum some guy found a deal where he got 78 boxes of cereal and 26 gallons of milk for $17.47. That's a steal if I ever saw one.

Don Julio Anejo
2009-11-08, 01:19 AM
No cool stories about free groceries because here 99.5% of the time you can't combine coupons, but here's other stuff I bought for really cheap over the years:

Canon 580EX flash for $50. Retailed for around $350ish but a new (worse one too unless you shoot sports) model came out so my camera store was trying to get rid of the last "old" model. The funny thing is that even used at that time it still sold for close to $300ish so I have no idea why the store wanted to get rid of it that badly.

An Armani Exchange dress shirt that I, in fact, bought just last week. Regular retail price - $200. Clearance price - $39.90, which is cheaper than most shirts you can buy at Walmart but about 4 times as nice. Very surprised that the only size they had left was a Medium, usually stores only have XXL and the like left. Granted, AX doesn't generally have anything larger than an L, but still...

iPhone 3G 8 gigs. $150, off of Craigslist, brand new with a box and everything. Unlocked and jailbroken too..

One grocery store coupon one where I actually managed to combine coupons. Bought a half-dozen Ristorante frozen pizzas (regular $8 each). Safeway sale - buy one, get one free. $3.50 off from a flier coupon. Another $2 off from a cutout coupon from don't remember where (probably a package from some other frozen food). Grand total - $7.88 for 6 pizzas! Not as impressive as 78 boxes of cereal and 26 gallons of milk for $17.47, but then I'd probably need at least 4 years to go through the cereal and almost a year for the milk (that is, if it doesn't go bad). Not taking into account the fact that it would take up every single square inch of my apartment and piss off my roommate.

Pocketa
2009-11-08, 02:52 PM
No cool stories about free groceries because here 99.5% of the time you can't combine coupons, but here's other stuff I bought for really cheap over the years:

Canon 580EX flash for $50. Retailed for around $350ish but a new (worse one too unless you shoot sports) model came out so my camera store was trying to get rid of the last "old" model. The funny thing is that even used at that time it still sold for close to $300ish so I have no idea why the store wanted to get rid of it that badly.

An Armani Exchange dress shirt that I, in fact, bought just last week. Regular retail price - $200. Clearance price - $39.90, which is cheaper than most shirts you can buy at Walmart but about 4 times as nice. Very surprised that the only size they had left was a Medium, usually stores only have XXL and the like left. Granted, AX doesn't generally have anything larger than an L, but still...

iPhone 3G 8 gigs. $150, off of Craigslist, brand new with a box and everything. Unlocked and jailbroken too..

One grocery store coupon one where I actually managed to combine coupons. Bought a half-dozen Ristorante frozen pizzas (regular $8 each). Safeway sale - buy one, get one free. $3.50 off from a flier coupon. Another $2 off from a cutout coupon from don't remember where (probably a package from some other frozen food). Grand total - $7.88 for 6 pizzas! Not as impressive as 78 boxes of cereal and 26 gallons of milk for $17.47, but then I'd probably need at least 4 years to go through the cereal and almost a year for the milk (that is, if it doesn't go bad). Not taking into account the fact that it would take up every single square inch of my apartment and piss off my roommate.

That is some epic pizza.

Inhuman Bot
2009-11-08, 03:40 PM
A friend of mine got Frostmourne (http://www.weaponmasters.com/shopping/FROSTMOURNE-p-17293.html) for 200$ (half price.)

valadil
2009-11-08, 04:23 PM
There was a 50% off sale at a big and tall store. I somehow convinced them that the 50% off advert I brought in stacked with the 50% off sign on one of the racks. Got a $300 trenchcoat for $75.

HellfireLover
2009-11-09, 03:39 AM
As a student, I worked at the local supermarket on days off to earn some much needed cash. Our store manager was an absolute martinet for keeping item prices displayed and stock rotated. This meant that on Sunday nights prior to the big bread delivery, all the baked goods, cakes and all, were checked and heavily reduced. If it didn't sell by the night end, staff got it free. My family literally had a second freezer just for bread at one point. The same went for chilled goods - got a good haul of cheddar cheese at one point; also several boxes of 'limited edition' chocolate went out of date and was shared between the three staff on duty that day. Just before I left, there was a promotion on cases of beer, and head office sent down four pallets of the stuff. It sat in the storage area for a week before being unpacked, at which point the store manager noticed it had gone out of date the previous day. The promotion hadn't started yet. Since it was all going in the skip otherwise, he had the staff line up at the loading bays at the back of the store and we all got as many cases of beer as we could carry. :smallredface:

Coupons have sort of gone out of favour here in the UK, as the supermarkets say they're too easily abused and prefer to wring every last penny out of us poor shoppers, and besides, I never buy branded goods (Lidl FTW!)

Otherwise shopping, I once managed to score 36 tins of free premium cat meat at an online store when they mistakenly reduced the price to £0.00 - was very impressed they honoured it. Last year, got my sister a Too Faced cosmetics palette for £2.99 delivered for Xmas. I scored my bridesmaid's designer dress for £6 at TK Maxx (they said the zip was broken; turned out it was just stuck.) My husband's replacement wedding ring is a faceted black tungsten, snaffled for £14 at a jewellery outlet; my replacement was titanium-diamond and cost me £8. I found a fully lined and netted satin ball skirt for £3; same store yielded a paid of purple knee-length high boots for £4, both reduced from £50-ish. Not even going to go into the bargains to be found in charity shops, will be here all day.

Cobra_Ikari
2009-11-09, 03:42 AM
As a student, I worked at the local supermarket on days off to earn some much needed cash. Our store manager was an absolute martinet for keeping item prices displayed and stock rotated. This meant that on Sunday nights prior to the big bread delivery, all the baked goods, cakes and all, were checked and heavily reduced. If it didn't sell by the night end, staff got it free. My family literally had a second freezer just for bread at one point. The same went for chilled goods - got a good haul of cheddar cheese at one point; also several boxes of 'limited edition' chocolate went out of date and was shared between the three staff on duty that day. Just before I left, there was a promotion on cases of beer, and head office sent down four pallets of the stuff. It sat in the storage area for a week before being unpacked, at which point the store manager noticed it had gone out of date the previous day. The promotion hadn't started yet. Since it was all going in the skip otherwise, he had the staff line up at the loading bays at the back of the store and we all got as many cases of beer as we could carry. :smallredface:

Coupons have sort of gone out of favour here in the UK, as the supermarkets say they're too easily abused and prefer to wring every last penny out of us poor shoppers, and besides, I never buy branded goods (Lidl FTW!)

Otherwise shopping, I once managed to score 36 tins of free premium cat meat at an online store when they mistakenly reduced the price to £0.00 - was very impressed they honoured it. Last year, got my sister a Too Faced cosmetics palette for £2.99 delivered for Xmas. I scored my bridesmaid's designer dress for £6 at TK Maxx (they said the zip was broken; turned out it was just stuck.) My husband's replacement wedding ring is a faceted black tungsten, snaffled for £14 at a jewellery outlet; my replacement was titanium-diamond and cost me £8. I found a fully lined and netted satin ball skirt for £3; same store yielded a paid of purple knee-length high boots for £4, both reduced from £50-ish. Not even going to go into the bargains to be found in charity shops, will be here all day.

...clearly, you're some kind of mythical walking coupon that can be redeemed anywhere. I'm going shopping with you sometime. :smallwink:

Eldpollard
2009-11-09, 03:50 AM
As far as coupons etc go I just tend to browse online and hope for the best. This has the advantage of cheap things without having to leave the house. Oh amazon and your 1p books (sham about postage, but even 1.26 isn't a bad price for a book. Although I suppose it does depend on the book.)

Crispy Dave
2009-11-09, 04:30 AM
Best deal I got recently was three cases of headshot energy shot (http://www.headshotenergyshot.com/) for $30 normally they're $36 each case but they had a printing error and printed 09 instead of 10 on all their expiration dates. Best part was when they ended the promo they send me another three cases free because they had some left over I guess.

Pocketa
2009-11-09, 11:19 PM
Today:

Bag of Doritoes
Monster Energy Drink
and a 4 pack of Red Bull

For free.

Well, and tax.

Went to CVS after Walgreens refused the coupons.

Alarra
2009-11-10, 01:28 AM
I am not good at the savings thing. I buy what I want/need and if it's on sale, bonus. We do do our grocery shopping at Sam's Club, so that's savings in itself. I have a cvs card, but never even look at the coupons or sales, I don't even use my bonus dollars. :smallredface:

My father, on the other hand, is amazing. He once brought home a receipt where he paid $7.10 and his 'total savings' was $134. The Spencers in our mall calls him whenever they put things on 75% discount. :smalltongue:

He also found a flat screen tv, that works perfectly, in the box...in a dumpster. Along with several sets of shelves, a computer hutch, 2 coffee tables and a leather chair over the past year or so, most of these still in their boxes.

Dispozition
2009-11-10, 06:07 AM
Video game store had a "buy 2 PSP games for $80", me, being totally awesome, found one game with a listed price of $80, and another for $70. So, I essentially got a $70 game for free. Not a totally bad deal if you ask me.

I don't use coupons that much, since I never really get any, nor am I member of any stores and the like...Not that any stores over here do crazy deals anyway.

KuReshtin
2009-11-10, 08:02 AM
I bought a new printer for loose change that I had lying about in my flat. t's not really a tale of using coupons or special deals or anything, but I had about £70 worth of small change lying about and after getting that converted into 'real' money I went and bought me a new printer.

Nomrom
2009-11-10, 02:24 PM
The Dell computer I just bought was marked down $600. Which really just means I wasn't getting ripped off like normal, but all in all I was pretty happy. Especially cuz they gave me a 15% discount coupon that I used to buy speakers.

Pocketa
2009-11-10, 08:17 PM
2 4packs of Red Bull for free today. Coupons ftw.

Limit 1/customer so gave a coupon to some freshman that I knew, and he got 2 cans out of the deal and I got the other 2. Not bad, not bad.