PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever made a character that disgusted you?

DragonBaneDM
2009-11-08, 12:00 AM
I made a straight healbot for 4th edition. Cleric. Kalashtar. Really fun cause he goes insane every 30 minutes. And the party has yet to spend an entire round with a single party member going bloodied.

But everytime I read his powers, I want to puke. It's...oh God it's utterly disgusting.

I'm not saying I don't like Xavion. I do, really. It's just one of those, "You can DO that" things. And healing 19 hit points at will qualifies.

Have you ever had a character that made you feel the same way?

Fishy
2009-11-08, 12:13 AM
When I did the math and realized my Hulking Hurler/Master of the Unseen Hand could lift and throw a Volkswagen Beetle with her mind.

Wait, that wasn't 'disgust', that was 'giddy with glee'.

Jergmo
2009-11-08, 12:21 AM
When I did the math and realized my Hulking Hurler/Master of the Unseen Hand could lift and throw a Volkswagen Beetle with her mind.

Wait, that wasn't 'disgust', that was 'giddy with glee'.

Same here, giddy with glee when I realized that I could use Ghoul Gauntlet to create a completely loyal dragon Ghoul as a mount for my Necromancer in a villain campaign with enough prep work. :xykon:

Edit: Also, when I discovered that with his Mad Scientist PrC, I could make a flesh golem from giants that could wrestle a Great Wyrm.

And death ray eyes from a Beholder.

DragonBaneDM
2009-11-08, 12:25 AM
Clearly we have no shame. Hahaha.

Jergmo
2009-11-08, 12:26 AM
Shame is useless in Villain Campaigns! :smallamused:

Fax Celestis
2009-11-08, 12:51 AM
I am thoroughly disgusted with my dwarven druid, but that's only because he's not above resorting to cannibalism and has absolutely no Charisma score to speak of (srzly, a 5?). I generally prefer charming, engaging characters, not ones that are literally disgusting.

Yukitsu
2009-11-08, 12:55 AM
My current one sometimes disgusts me, as she's very thoroughly chaotic evil, and is much, much smarter than me. Not disgusts so much as terrifies, I should say, but that is partly the point. She is based, in part, off of Alma Wade from F.E.A.R.

She paralyzed a man, then pushed his face into a bowl of water until his heart stopped, while singing a folk song about stalking people, has killed cruel children and women and tortured wicked men. Not a happy character, but one that is very interesting to play.

Akal Saris
2009-11-08, 01:50 AM
Hmm...I have felt a bit overwhelmed/disgusted with my master of shrouds or malconvoker builds (mixed with glee), though I have a higher tolerance for powerful characters after so much time on the min/max boards.

A lot of 3.5 min/max stuff evokes a negative response from me when it's theoretical stuff working off of poor wording, or when its borderline wishful thinking. I vastly prefer making characters that are strong from 1-20 (levels 1-11 are a bigger deal to me than 12-20), obviously without using stupid tricks like summoning pazuzu or double PAO into beholder mage. But that's more disgust in the sense that I think it's pretty pointless to drool over stuff that you never get to use in play.

Temet Nosce
2009-11-08, 02:52 AM
Mechanically? Not really. I did once write up an extremely hypocritical and delusional priest though. Constantly preaching about the virtues of peace, poverty, brotherhood, etc... Then regretfully doing "necessary" things for his own enjoyment/advancement (murder, rape, etc) always excusing them to himself since he was a priest.

... I'd have hated his guts in real life.

golentan
2009-11-08, 03:02 AM
Mechanically, the only time I came close to feeling like this was when I realized I had created (in MnM) a character who could wield aircraft careers as improvised weapons, and could as a reaction make a thousand duplicates of himself, and as long as one survived he could not die.

That's right. As a reaction to getting killed he could evade death, then smack you around with fists of fury a few thousand times, and then pile driver you with the empire state building. He. Was. Awesome.

Dhavaer
2009-11-08, 04:27 AM
Not so much disgusted, but looking up the time and value table and discovering my M&M character could create a 250,000ft. diameter portal was quite something. No idea what it'd be useful for unless I want to drain an ocean, though.

Optimystik
2009-11-08, 05:02 AM
I was disgusted with my Green Star Adept. While the rest of the party used their XP actually being productive, he blew his CON score, half his caster levels and his gold getting hopped up on green dust. When he met his wizard buddies at the arcanist class reunion the following year and saw what successes they had made of themselves, he withdrew from society and ended up turning tricks in Sigil and getting blitzed on Firewine. I stopped returning his phone calls.

...does that count?

KillianHawkeye
2009-11-08, 05:05 AM
Not so much disgusted, but looking up the time and value table and discovering my M&M character could create a 250,000ft. diameter portal was quite something. No idea what it'd be useful for unless I want to drain an ocean, though.

A portal almost 50 miles wide??? Well it's nice to know we're save from doom by a gigantic asteroid. :smallamused:

Dhavaer
2009-11-08, 05:56 AM
A portal almost 50 miles wide??? Well it's nice to know we're save from doom by a gigantic asteroid. :smallamused:

Better than ocean draining, I guess. Unless I want to turn to super-villainy.

golentan
2009-11-08, 06:10 AM
Portal to what? Because that effects a lot of things you can do with it.

The Rose Dragon
2009-11-08, 06:15 AM

Anywhere you like in the universe, probably. Depends on how many ranks in Teleport he had.

golentan
2009-11-08, 06:28 AM
So... Crazy beam weapon (open portal to center of sun?) Save a city (teleport five miles of it to a safe location), Send enemies straight to jail, do not pass go, do not collect 200 dollars? Send jail straight to enemies? Get a giant airship and fly it around the galaxy through the power of your own will (with crazy beam weapons optional...)? Prevent a significant part of an army crossing a border? Scry on somewhere far away? Keep yourself in pocket money through a bank vault? Have literal hammerspace, with something like the biscuit hammer (okay, much smaller, but still pretty damn big).

I was thinking it might be a dimensional portal, for example, or some other weirdness. It might be sizable, or it might not (as a power flaw). It might have limits on range. It might be see through, or it might be opaque. It might have a time limit. It might be shapeable. It might only lead to the Taj Mahal. It might only lead to the Taj Mahal on tuesdays.

By the way? With a five mile portal generation to anywhere in the universe I would TOTALLY cruise planets in a big 'ol airship.

Edit: Oh. 50 miles. Cool, even more stuff (esp with variable size).

Triaxx
2009-11-08, 06:36 AM
Well, you could drop an ocean on them. Portal over them, portal underwater. Weight of water= instant kill.

Fishy
2009-11-08, 08:59 AM
It might only lead to the Taj Mahal. It might only lead to the Taj Mahal on tuesdays.

*SHAZAM*

"Wait, where did you send them?"

"Tuesday."

Gnaeus
2009-11-08, 09:36 AM
For a little while I played an OWoD shadow court changeling. His daily activities involved abducting children, mutilating them, and leaving small but identifiable bits on playgrounds for other children to find and feeding off the terror he created.

Kalirren
2009-11-08, 10:34 AM
I made a total slime of a character once. The initial concept of the character was "IRS Jackass", and I think he's very difficult to describe fully without offending half of American society, I suspect. This is the 50-year-old bachelor lawyer who became an IRS auditor for the sheer privilege of auditing random helpless people and watching them squirm. He owned a black Lamborghini sports car, and loved being first in line at a traffic light, because when it would turn green, he would just -sit- there until everyone was honking at him to go, then at the last second before the yellow light turned red, he'd rev up the car and scram out of the intersection. His name has subsequently become synonymous with a very certain brand of FAIL within my group.

The campaign started out with our deaths. He had a heart attack while going 95 in a 70 mph zone on the crowded DC Beltway where everyone was going 45 because of the fog while changing lanes without signaling. 40 car pile-up. Later joined the sect of Grim Reapers, got scythed by the Head Reaper at his first Council of the Grim Reapers, and -failed to actually die-. It only got worse from there.

He was -very- comic to play, and managed to simultaneously disgust and amuse everyone at the table quite thoroughly.

Thajocoth
2009-11-09, 02:08 PM
I had a WoW character who's personality became one I didn't want to hang around with anymore. Very very cynical...

For most things though, the less normal the character is, the more I want to play them.

Fluffles
2009-11-09, 02:21 PM
I made a Wizard once...

DMfromTheAbyss
2009-11-09, 02:38 PM
I made up a competant villain once for an evil campaign. As a character. Everyone else was playing fun evil do whatever you want style characters... I had the man with a plan who manipulated them all into following my orders. Not content to just rule over everything, he started an evil empire based on enslaving whole races (for their own good of coarse) that lasted for thousands of years, ended up killing most of the other characters (or keeping them as a easy summons.. long story) and making a magic item out of one. (most useful he ever was)

Did I mention he got to epic and took high proselytizer (this was 3.0 for reference) and always made himself look like the good guy... while being an absolute evil powerhungry revenge on all other races style racist bastard. This guy literally made mutually profitable deals with Asmodeus, who liked him...:smalleek:

Yeah playing him made me feel a bit unclean afterwards, on several levels.

Dhavaer
2009-11-09, 03:06 PM

Anywhere I like within 200,000 miles.

t_catt11
2009-11-09, 03:37 PM
Not mechanically... but I once played a cleric of a death god/arcane necromancer who was a serial killer. He'd slowly torture young women to death, but only allow them to die after healing their many shallow knife cuts with his magic (so that he could cut them again). After they died, he'd cut out their hearts (and a couple of other pieces) and offer them as a sacrifice.

He would then take two small, specific body parts to keep as trophies, which he wore in a small leather pouch on his belt. He'd often be seen with his hand in the pouch, stroking the contents while smiling vaguely.

Dude creeped me out, and made me feel dirty that I would come up with such a concept.

Kobold-Bard
2009-11-09, 03:47 PM
I was never disgusted by him, but the rest of the group was. d20 Modern zombie campaign. Dawn of the dead type thing.

My guy was a Strong Hero called Hugh Mungus (born Hubert Lambit) who wielded a jeep bumper, complete with Weapon Focus and it's extensions. He was awesome beyond belief, cutting swathes of zombies apart.

The true hate though, came when we were escaping the military compound, Hugh held the rope so the rest could climb down the giant wall, then realising they'd tricked him because he had no-one to hold it for him. So, in an act thoroughly inkeeping with him he jumped. 17d6 falling damage with about 50HP left, when he landed he made a crater 15ft across, and walked out, having rolled a grand total of 29 damage and miraculously survived.

He got to the last free island with only 1 of 5 left, he turned on them when the last zombies attacked.

Good times.

Balkash
2009-11-09, 03:50 PM
NE Elven Druid.

Long story short, he kills any humanoid that walks into his forest with Finger of Death, summons Storm of Vengeance on the local towns. He also touches little girls, then ties them by their hands to a tree branch about 10ft off the ground.

Did I mention the Dire Tiger animal companion?

Yeah... it's really not pretty.:smallfrown:

Ormagoden
2009-11-09, 03:52 PM
I was disgusted with my Green Star Adept. While the rest of the party used their XP actually being productive, he blew his CON score, half his caster levels and his gold getting hopped up on green dust. When he met his wizard buddies at the arcanist class reunion the following year and saw what successes they had made of themselves, he withdrew from society and ended up turning tricks in Sigil and getting blitzed on Firewine. I stopped returning his phone calls.

...does that count?

PRICELESS!

Flayerman
2009-11-09, 04:03 PM
I've never been mechanically disgusted by any of my characters, but my Mutants and Masterminds villain, Crossbone, or my changeling bard Donovan...

Crossbone was a maniac with arms coming out of his back who evolved into a body-hopping sky pirate take-off of the Monarch without about six degrees of crazy ratcheted up. He was so insane, he'd off loyal henchmen randomly, cut people to shreds for fun, ruin lives, destroy families, annihilate innocents...just for fun. By the time he got godlike power, he was so loathsome, he was completely nihilistic and obliterating everything in his path. I got so sick of being so vile I finally cut him loose of the party to go peddle "wares" to the Middle East and exacerbate the conflicts exponentially.

Donovan...is a whole 'nother story, whose loathsomeness comes from the fact that he was a broken, crazy changeling with no regard for the lives of others as anything more than toys and a bluff and diplomacy check of +70. He was essentially a natural disaster for relationships and villages in general, sweeping through and having his fun before leaving people behind to deal with the consequences.

He's a god now.

...why do all the hateful characters always get godlike power?

Talyn
2009-11-09, 04:13 PM
Actually, I did roll a character in a Serenity RPG game (you know, the one based on the Firefly universe) who was a Partisan for the Independents during the Unification war - I based him on the real-life murderous bastards Champ Ferguson and Nathan Bedford Forrest. He survived the war, changed his name to escape prosecution for his war crimes, and started the campaign as a local sheriff. The racism, acceptance of debt slavery, and general sadism of this guy made me uncomfortable as I played him, and I retired the character.

The thing with characters which disgust you, is that you have to play them - and when you play evil characters, you realize that there is a part of yourself that you are showing through this character. That's what causes the disgust - you hate the part of yourself that lets you think like that character.

Flayerman
2009-11-09, 04:17 PM
The thing with characters which disgust you, is that you have to play them - and when you play evil characters, you realize that there is a part of yourself that you are showing through this character. That's what causes the disgust - you hate the part of yourself that lets you think like that character.

This. A thousand times this.

It's a shame you have to get into the head of the bad guys, too, isn't it?

Tiki Snakes
2009-11-09, 04:20 PM
I was kind of ashamed of myself when I found my first infinate loop, I'll admit.

Though it would be fun to play a druid with an arbitrarily infinate number of level 3 wolves in tow. (Having several wolves himself, and all of his cohorts having cohorts of the same level, and all of the cohorts-cohorts, etc ad infinitum)

Volos
2009-11-09, 04:24 PM
I allowed a newbie player to play a golaith Barbarian. Due to complications we ended up playing a week later then I had hoped to start, but when he came in with his character he explained, with much glee, how he discovered the opitional rules for a golaith Barbarian. Now he grows to large size when raging. He carries almost nothing on his person but his two swords. One is a huge size greatsword which he uses when he is not raging, the other is a Gargantuan size greatsword which he uses when he is raging. Golaith Barbarian + MonkeyGrip = My worst nightmare.

So recently I've had alot of mind altering magic thrown at the party, leaving the Barbarian useless untill the map is full of minons.

Tengu_temp
2009-11-09, 06:38 PM
You do realize that Powerful Build and Monkey Grip don't stack, right?

mikeejimbo
2009-11-09, 06:54 PM
I'm not good enough at optimization to make mechanically disgusting characters, and the ones I read about I never use because my DM wouldn't let me get away with them.

But since we're all sharing the roleplaying of disgusting characters, I'll go with mine.

My character isn't precisely evil. He doesn't really consider morality much. He just does what he's ordered to do. Sure, those orders involve killing defenseless women and children. Or forcing them into slavery. But he's not making any moral decisions, his superiors are. It's not that he feels like he's doing anything wrong but justifies it by the fact that the orders are coming from above. He just doesn't make judgments and does what he's told to do.

Foryn Gilnith
2009-11-09, 06:56 PM
I played an evil cultist gnome once, but the campaign ended before I could do things that disgusted me. In a zombie apocalypse game, I played a character whose personality was based on the premise "me, but middle-aged and a douchebag", but he sacrificed himself to save the others (actually, because he didn't want to live in the zombie-infested world, but he spun it to get glory)

Starbuck_II
2009-11-09, 07:19 PM
Yes, he was a Shadow Sun Ninja. I mean, he was like Rourini Kensai. He murdered hundreds in the past. He was at one time a mass murder and he liked it.
In fact, other than his search for his sister: he lived to kill. It was the only time he felt alive.

He was named: Xerves Val Durunto. A Xeph. Scout 5/Swordsage 4/Shadow Sun Ninja 1.
His start of darkness begun when he killed his mom. He didn't mean to...it was an accident. He was just trying to defend his sister. That act made his life worse, but at least she was safe.
His methods to track his sister turned dark and twisted due to his desparation. Sometimes it wasn’t about the information. Sometimes he would kill just to hone his battle skills.
If it wasn't his master he gained later: he would have stayed the dark. When he became a Shadow Sun Ninja I could finally no longer go into his depravities and into the light. Which was much better for me.

Sharkman1231
2009-11-09, 11:34 PM
This has given me a great idea for my next character. He (maybe she) will embody all that I despise. Racist, rash, a drunkard, sexist. He (she) will constantly say he (she) is morally supierior to everyone else. He will a corrupt agent of a corrupt system. He will be a paladin. Cloaked in the guise of law and good.
And he will be mine.

The character I love,

To Hate.

Iuliano05
2009-11-10, 12:35 AM
i have had 2 characters that where disgusting. I made a sorc that could beat anything the DM could through at it. (granted Dm wasn't that great) I played a batman type character by casting most useful spells without limit. Then i played in city campaign as a doppelganger rogue/assassin. (we only really do core type books for Prc's so he could have been much more deadly) It was won of the most fun class's to play since i could infiltrate almost anything

Raroy
2009-11-10, 01:15 AM
Back in the days when I was an absoluetly terrible writer (nowadays, I'm just a normally terrible writer) I wrote some characters. I'm not pround of the things I've done, and I'd rather not talk about it but.....yuck.