PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] RHOD Character Build (Shadowcaster Sluagh) and Cohort build [Caster protector]

Snow
2009-11-08, 03:39 AM
I have to create a character for a RHOD party

It's 8 level
With 28 initial stats point
All 3.5 books (all settings)

I would like to build something similar to the sluagh from changeling, I could not find any race like that.

As a base class I was thinking something in the line of Shadowcaster from the tome of magic

I'm open to any idea

BooNL
2009-11-08, 03:47 AM
Can't really help you with that Sluagh idea, but RHoD is actually a 5th level module, close to 6th.

Unless you DM has really amped up the difficulty a character of that level would breeze through most of the encounters

Snow
2009-11-08, 03:53 AM
Can't really help you with that Sluagh idea, but RHoD is actually a 5th level module, close to 6th.

Unless you DM has really amped up the difficulty a character of that level would breeze through most of the encounters

The party has been playing for a LONG time, they have just reach level 8, I'm changing my character, because my current character left the party. We have just finish fighting the goblin mounted on a dragon. Don't spoil anything for me please.

AslanCross
2009-11-08, 04:29 AM
I'm not really sure what the Sluagh is, so I can't help you. What's the race all about?

Snow
2009-11-08, 04:35 AM
I'm not really sure what the Sluagh is, so I can't help you. What's the race all about?

Sluagh is a fey or changeling that dwells in the shadows, speaks only in whispers, likes to know a lot, have spiders as friends, they are not evil at all. In resume they are the goth fairy.

KillianHawkeye
2009-11-08, 04:57 AM
This is the first thing that springs to mind:

A Gloura
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/ex_Gloura.jpg

It's basically a good, underground-dwelling fey that wanders about playing music and can cast spells as a Bard. Unfortunately, it's an ECL 9 character (+2 Level Adjustment and 7 racial Hit Dice).

Of course, if you have a generous DM, you might be able to customize it to reduce the LA (by lowering the racial ability mods or ditching the Cha to AC and Saves ability). And if he's REALLY generous, and you offer a hefty bribe, you might be able to swap the Bard casting for the equivalent level of Shadowcaster mysteries or whatever they're called.

You can find the specifics in Underdark p.88-89, or right here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20031003e) on the web excerpt.

AslanCross
2009-11-08, 06:55 AM
A more tenable race might be the gloaming, also from Underdark. They're not Fey, though (they're native outsiders) but they might be easier to play. Still LA +2, though.

Another alternative is Whisper Gnome. You can find it on CrystalKeep's Races index PDF. No LA, cool stealth-related spell-like abilities, etc. (Most notable being self-only Silence 1/day) Again, not fey, but is considered to be one of the best if not THE best gnome subrace.

Finally, there's the Eberron Campaign Setting changeling, which is pretty much what it says on the tin. They're not particularly quiet or stealthy, but they can definitely manage the archetype.

Snow
2009-11-08, 09:06 AM
First thanks a lot for all suggestions

I have seen all those races. The ones with LA kill me and they don't give me exactly what I would like in abilities.

The chageling allowing me to change my appareance may let me play like the sluagh nicely.

The gloaming also suffers from daylight making me imposible to survive this campaign.

I also don't like entirely races with wings.

So far I'm thinking in using the changeling.

Any help on the build? I have never ever played a shadowcaster, or does anyone think of another class for this.

Thanks

Sliver
2009-11-08, 09:40 AM
Well there is a Shadowsworn class from the book of Roguish Luck.. Partial-caster, partial roguish abilities.. I donno, he is kinda weak looking, IMO.. But you might find him appealing..

Starbuck_II
2009-11-08, 11:05 AM
As a base class I was thinking something in the line of Shadowcaster from the tome of magic

I'm open to any idea

Shadowcasters have many ways to build them:
Are you battlefield control, buffing, damage, or a mixture?

Thurbane
2009-11-08, 09:52 PM
How about a Changeling character with the Fey Heritage line of feats? For the class, you could try a Factotum with a dip into Shadow Dancer?

Snow
2009-11-08, 10:01 PM
The party already has a goliath that kicks like a mule, a dwarf cleric, a dwarf fighter, a doppelgänger and a catfolk ranger.

So I don't wont any meele fighter, we have more than enough. I have two weeks until we continue with the party, I have time to think, so as many different ideas the better and I would later choose one of my liking.

Thanks all of you

Snow
2009-11-08, 10:12 PM
Shadowcasters have many ways to build them:
Are you battlefield control, buffing, damage, or a mixture?

Most definetly no buffing, the cleric can do more than enough, and every other party member has leadershio with a buffer cohort. So no buffering for me.

Battlefield control or damage can be interesting,

Snow
2009-11-09, 08:07 AM
The party already has a goliath that kicks like a mule, a dwarf cleric, a dwarf fighter, a doppelgänger and a catfolk ranger.

So I don't wont any meele fighter, we have more than enough. I have two weeks until we continue with the party, I have time to think, so as many different ideas the better and I would later choose one of my liking.

Thanks all of you

I forgot another player on the party, a human marshal.

So as you can see we have enough meele and buffers.

Ruinix
2009-11-09, 12:00 PM
SNOW!!! hdp! jajajaja

necesitamos un arcane caster, en especial uno q se pueda bombear a los dragones.

we need especialy an arcane dispeller. and if it can blaster too. but mainly arcane caster oriented to mayor dispells.

Draz74
2009-11-09, 12:19 PM
I agree with the idea of a Changeling with Fey Heritage feats.

If you want to go Shadowcaster, I recommend the improved version that the Shadowcaster's author wrote (http://www.enworld.org/forum/general-rpg-discussion/184955-shadowcaster-fixes-mouseferatu.html#post3273239).

we need especialy an arcane dispeller. and if it can blaster too. but mainly arcane caster oriented to mayor dispells.

Now that definitely sounds like a request for a Psion. Or Wilder, if the player really wants to be Charisma-based. Hmmm. It shouldn't be too hard to flavor a Psion or Wilder as a "shadowy" type.

Coidzor
2009-11-09, 12:19 PM
So the ability to dispel is going to be important to the caster.

Well, that's a criterion...

And the lack of arcane support for the party definitely seems to support going for as much casterliness as possible in the build.

Snow
2009-11-09, 01:01 PM
I agree with the idea of a Changeling with Fey Heritage feats.

If you want to go Shadowcaster, I recommend the improved version that the Shadowcaster's author wrote (http://www.enworld.org/forum/general-rpg-discussion/184955-shadowcaster-fixes-mouseferatu.html#post3273239).

Now that definitely sounds like a request for a Psion. Or Wilder, if the player really wants to be Charisma-based. Hmmm. It shouldn't be too hard to flavor a Psion or Wilder as a "shadowy" type.

The master does not accept psionics. What's a Wilder?

Snow
2009-11-09, 01:05 PM
So the ability to dispel is going to be important to the caster.

Well, that's a criterion...

And the lack of arcane support for the party definitely seems to support going for as much casterliness as possible in the build.

Ok, dispelling can go with my character, we use to have a pure wizard, but died, I used to play a bard, but it went other way. The wizard is now playing the doppelgänger.

Ruinix
2009-11-09, 01:38 PM
the wizard die in the most stupid way, he fly with regular invi and from 200fts cast fire ball to the crossroad fort, the 4 bugbears size large with great long bows (size large = 2D6 + 5 STR bonus) fire their full volley, each one with 4 shoots XD hahaha we was discusing how to assault the fort and he was alredy feather falling on minus 20 XD hahaha

now we REALLY need an arcanist. like i said, dispell is the most need we have now. our dwarf cleric expend 7 dispell scrolls on last encounter. we can't afford that for every battle.

beside an arcanist blaster, cause its true, the barbarian/fighter goliath hit like a blind stupid donkey when he hit! wich is 2 or 3 times in the all fight.

and like snow said, psionics is not an option :(

Snow
2009-11-11, 07:49 AM
I'm going to create a sorcerer/shadowcaster/noctumancer I will have my dark shadow side that I like, I will have some sorerer spells nice for the party and I'll be good at dispelling and counter-magic. Haven't decide for feats or race yet.

What I need now is my cohort. I'm thinking in a caster protector, buy I know nothing about this. Or another option would be a pure shadowcaster, like an assitant.

jiriku
2009-11-11, 02:10 PM
Crusaders (from Tome of Battle) make good bodyguards. A generalist wizard who loads you up with buffs like protection from arrows, stoneskin, invisibility, fly, and wind wall would also protect you pretty well.

Ruinix
2009-11-12, 09:55 AM
Crusaders (from Tome of Battle) make good bodyguards. A generalist wizard who loads you up with buffs like protection from arrows, stoneskin, invisibility, fly, and wind wall would also protect you pretty well.

you or me or any other who need :p

a MUST feat for any blaster with a lot of knowlege arcana is "devoted knowlege" from DC i think. give u a roll for each "tipe" of mob in every encounter and give until a +5 +5 (ATT and DAMAGE).

Draz74
2009-11-12, 01:02 PM
The master does not accept psionics. What's a Wilder?

Wilder is like a psionic Sorcerer or Warlock: Charisma-based, and with a very limited selection of powers.

So your DM won't allow it. :smallannoyed: This is a shame, as (1) psionics are the best magic system in the game, and (2) psionic classes make the best dispellers and the best blasters.

Ruinix
2009-11-13, 08:47 AM
Wilder is like a psionic Sorcerer or Warlock: Charisma-based, and with a very limited selection of powers.

So your DM won't allow it. :smallannoyed: This is a shame, as (1) psionics are the best magic system in the game, and (2) psionic classes make the best dispellers and the best blasters.

and THAT is why he dont allow them. cause break any chance of challenge.

we fought the goblin ranger and the adult black dragon on the ruins of rest and we WON without arcane caster, and our cleric haven't "download" his fresh spells. we finally kill the ranger, and the dragon flee with 10 points of live ¬¬ im the only capable range killer, but the dragon put on self 2 buffs so the only way to hit him was with a critical while he do full retreat on RUN speed with GOOD FLY ¬¬, i have only 2 rounds of D20 full volley ¬¬ and i dont hit him :(

any way we won, without chiter psionics or even casters, but we can have a nice caster and that give us a nice advantage.

pd: edit to add. no one die on the black dragon fight :D 1 of us was on negative points, and i self reach the dangerous 6 point left, but we all can heal up with healing belt, or neckleas of tears, or pots or what ever :p