PDA

View Full Version : Is any one else annoyed by vague/incomplete/irrelevant thread titles?

Lissou
2009-11-08, 03:47 AM
First of all, I apologise if I'm posting in the wrong place. But since this concerns this here forum, I figured that was the best place to post. I could very well be wrong about that.

Am I the only one who gets very annoyed at how thread titles, the purpose of which is to let us know what a thread is about, tend not to accomplish that at all?

Between the half ones ("Do you think...", "What if...", "Does anyone else...", "Is Haley/V/Belkar...") and the completely vague ones ("I know!", "I have an idea", "I think I got it!"), I am very annoyed of entering the forum to see mostly threads that could be about absolutely anything. Not only does it defeat the purpose (letting people know if they'll be interested in the thread or not BEFORE they have to open it) but it makes it hard later if you're actually taking part in one of the threads, are interested in it, but can't remember which one it is because the title won't help you.

I keep fighting the urge to post in such threads just to ask people to make titles that are more relevant. But I'm afraid that would be trolling, especially if I do it every time.
So instead I thought I'd start my own thread. Which might get locked if it's out of place (for which I would apologise).
This way, at least, people who keep starting such threads might realise that it is annoying. If nobody ever told them, they might not be aware of it. I mean, they keep doing it, right?

Plus, I was wondering if I was the only one, if I had a problem or something, if everybody else was completely fine with it... Or if there are other people in my case. It would help, not feeling alone anymore.

I realise there is nothing I can do about it. I'm not a mod, I don't make rules, I'm just spending time on a forum and if some people annoy me I can and should just ignore it. But it's been happening so often that I got increasingly frustrated with it, I guess. And I felt like I just had to let it out :S

Thanatosia
2009-11-08, 04:30 AM
Total agreement, they are increadibly annoying and stupid.

I don't think they are nearly as prevalent as you are making them out to be tho.

Zxo
2009-11-08, 04:42 AM
I agree too.

Brewdude
2009-11-08, 04:49 AM
What the heck is this thread about? The title is very confusing.

DBJack
2009-11-08, 05:27 AM
I agree with you, but it's not widespread, thankfully. At the risk of sounding like a crybaby, I hate clicking on a thread like "what if..." reading two pages, going to the main forum, then accidentally clicking on the same thread because I didn't recognize the same title. I think part of it is that people feel like no one will read their thread if the people know what it is about summarized in the title, so they use a vague name to attract people to see what the thread is about.

Optimystik
2009-11-08, 05:30 AM
Internet. Serious business!

Ancalagon
2009-11-08, 05:47 AM
Most people do not think about it, but I think that some do it on purpose to make their post "more interesting" and get more people to read it.

"Another V-Gender-Theory" might draw fewer people than "What if..."

Just a random thought.

And yes, the mentioned habit is annoying.

Rule of thumb: If you cannot come up with an interesting title for your thread, you have nothing interesting to say.

Killer Angel
2009-11-08, 06:03 AM
Agree. You can find such behaviour also in other sections of the playground, but it's more frequent here in the OotS' discussions.

Ninja
2009-11-08, 06:21 AM
Viva la revolution!

Mordokai
2009-11-08, 06:24 AM
It doesn't bother me and I don't spot it as often as you claim it to be happening. But then, I've only lately became regular in this section of the forum, because I got a little tired of my usual hanging place and decided to change climate, so it may yet happen.

Kaytara
2009-11-08, 07:59 AM
I too am annoyed when I see it happen. I applaud you on having the courage to call people out on this. :D

multilis
2009-11-08, 08:26 AM
In our minds the annoying tends to stick out compared to the ok. I counted less than 1/4 with vague titles, and in some cases is debatable. I agree it would be *much* more useful if you could tell what a thread was about by the title, rather than a "lure us in by the mystery of not knowing".

To add to wish list, bringing up a historical strip as title "OOTS: ###" could be improved to "OOTS: ### - Title of this strip or details" - 99% of us can't remember a strip from 3 years ago by only a number, and the goal of a good title is get away from having to click somewheres else to figure out what strip is about.

Larkspur
2009-11-08, 09:21 AM
I agree. On the other hand, it's often a warning that the thread itself isn't very worthwhile either.

factotum
2009-11-08, 09:28 AM
Bad as it is on a forum, you wouldn't believe how much it winds me up when someone sends me an e-mail with no subject line at all--or worse still, forwards such an E-mail to me so the only subject line is "FW:"!

Gamerlord
2009-11-08, 09:49 AM
The problem is that said threads are usually speculation, and if they had their ideas in the title rich burlew would see them, and he hates that.

Atronach
2009-11-08, 10:11 AM
I am also annoyed. I do concur that people put titles like "What If...", "Is It Possible", "Another... Theory", et cetera to basically shout out "Hey everybody! Come to my thread!". I have seen enough of that.

Also, as long as it is not against the forum rules, there is probably not much we can do about that. Fairly unfortunate, indeed.

The Recreator
2009-11-08, 01:03 PM
The problem is that said threads are usually speculation, and if they had their ideas in the title rich burlew would see them, and he hates that.

I am also annoyed. I do concur that people put titles like "What If...", "Is It Possible", "Another... Theory", et cetera to basically shout out "Hey everybody! Come to my thread!". I have seen enough of that.

Also, as long as it is not against the forum rules, there is probably not much we can do about that. Fairly unfortunate, indeed.

What if someone were to create a consolidated speculation thread for Order of the Stick, one to handle both past and present comics? It's much easier to avoid speculation if everyone goes to the same place to post it.

The only trick with that is making sure that all the newcomers know where to go (a clearly-labeled thread title could help with that :smallcool: ).

The Dark Fiddler
2009-11-08, 01:10 PM
What if someone were to create a consolidated speculation thread for Order of the Stick, one to handle both past and present comics? It's much easier to avoid speculation if everyone goes to the same place to post it.

The only trick with that is making sure that all the newcomers know where to go (a clearly-labeled thread title could help with that :smallcool: ).

That doesn't really seem to help with V's gender threads though. :smalltongue:

derfenrirwolv
2009-11-08, 01:24 PM
Yes, it feels like getting rick rolled

Ubergeek
2009-11-08, 03:41 PM
I half expected this thread to be about something completely different...

Dancing_Fox
2009-11-08, 06:20 PM
Yes. I like to be able to at least have "some idea of what a thread is about" before entering it. I usually like to read about similar topics at the same time.

Sometimes the problem is more prevelant than others though. I remember times looking at the main board and it seemed that a lot of thread titles were completely vague. It is not too bad today though, ironically.

On the subject of comic titles. I would put a vote in to having each comic title displayed at the bottom of each comic page. Otherwise the only way that I know of to find the comic name is to navigate to where the master list is.

SteveMB
2009-11-08, 06:39 PM
Sometimes, it's a legitimate attempt to avoid spoilerish speculation in the title, but usually it's just annoying, yes.

The Succubus
2009-11-08, 06:45 PM
That doesn't really seem to help with V's gender threads though. :smalltongue:

In the event of a nuclear holocaust, only three things shall survive; Roaches, threads containing *definitive proof* that V is a man/woman/fruitcake and forum trolls flaming said threads.

Roland St. Jude
2009-11-09, 07:49 PM
Sheriff of Moddingham: Nobody likes them but they are a feature of forums that allow user-generated thread titles.