PDA

View Full Version : mixed drinks itp

Coidzor
2009-11-08, 02:26 PM
So. Twenty-First birthdays.

Recommend me something.

Krade
2009-11-08, 02:39 PM
There are a number of mixed drinks that are tasty. Here are some of my favorites:

Screwdriver: Vodka + OJ (Standard can't think of what I want so I'll just get this one)

Washington Apple: Don't know exactly what's in it but it tastes like sour apple.

Chocolate Cake: The name explains it all.

Irish Car Bomb: Shot glass half filled with Jameson's Irish Whiskey and half filled with Bailey's. Drop the shot glass into a glass of Guiness and drink it all down at once. Tastes like a chocolate shake. Seriously. (Warning: Do NOT attempt to drink more than one of these in a night. You will regret it)

That's about all I can think of for now. I don't drink a whole lot or very often. At most bars I've been to a Screwdriver will cost you $3.00 or $3.50. The ICB will cost you $7 or $8. Also, only order the ICB in a bar that serves drinks in glasses, not plastic cups. If you have a plastic shot glass it will float when you drop it in the Guiness and ruins the whole experience.

xPANCAKEx
2009-11-08, 02:39 PM
do you prefer sweet or non-sweet drinks?

Pocketa
2009-11-08, 02:42 PM
Traffic light:

Cherry sprite
Topped with orange slush
Topped with a splash of lime syrup

Shirley Temple FTW

Virgin Jagerbomber

Thatguyoverther
2009-11-08, 02:43 PM
For your transition into Manhood, you should drink the manliest of drinks, and Andrew Jackson.

1 part A1 steaksauce. 1 part (cheap) Whiskey. 2 parts Crushed Glass. (The Crushed Glass is optional.)

If you can finish more than three shots, your a better man than I.

The Rose Dragon
2009-11-08, 02:43 PM
White Russian: milk + vodka (I prefer vanilla-flavored vodka, as it has a lighter taste, but normal vodka can do) + kahlua.

Black Russian: White Russian, but with Coke instead of milk.

Bloody Mary: tomato juice + vodka + spices & salt. Not sure about the spices
& salt part, as each bar I've been to has different traditions on that one.

charl
2009-11-08, 03:00 PM
My two favourites:

Gin and tonic. A classic, and really simple to make. Just mix tonic water and gin to taste, add some ice and you are done. Has a very bitter taste from the tonic that is not liked by everyone, but on the other hand the drink will glow bright blue under a blacklight so that is always something.

Cuba libre. A deceptively simple drink. Take some rum, the darker the better, and mix coca cola (preferably the very brand) at a 1:5 ratio or so. Add some ice cubes, and just a sprinkle of lime juice, and then put a lime wedge in it.

Also, technically not a mixed drink, but why not try the classic tequila shooter? Put some salt on the back of your hand, lick it off, take a shot of tequila and suck on a lemon wedge afterwards.

industrious
2009-11-08, 03:06 PM
Sonic Screwdriver - substitute blue Gatorade for the orange juice in a screwdriver.

BritishBill
2009-11-08, 03:14 PM
why mix when you can just take the shots straight up? :smallbiggrin:

Sneak
2009-11-08, 03:23 PM
Gin and tonic, hands down. Classy, classic, and easy.

Then again, I'm not exactly a mixed drinks expert. :smalltongue:

Kneenibble
2009-11-08, 03:30 PM
Gin & Perrier is quite nice too, mayhaps with a squirt of lemon or lime juice. It's not quite so effective if you have malaria though.

I understand it's more of a Canadian thing, but an unusual alternative to the Bloody Mary is the Caesar. It is vodka, seasoning, and tomato juice with the addition of clam broth and usually tabasco. "Clamato" is pre-mixed tomato & clam juice. I like a Bloody Mary with lots of hot sauce in it.

A friend of mine likes 50/50 coke and red wine... I forget what she called it, but I know what I would call it. :smallyuk:

Is this your 21st, Coidzilla?!

skywalker
2009-11-08, 03:36 PM
White Russian: milk + vodka (I prefer vanilla-flavored vodka, as it has a lighter taste, but normal vodka can do) + kahlua.

Technically, it's cream, not milk. But milk works ok.

Black Russian: White Russian, but with Coke instead of milk.

Not a black russian. Black russian is a white russian without the cream/milk. Coke is not involved. Coke and vodka does not sound like a very good combo.

I like screwdrivers, Jack and Coke is great (any whiskey and coke is decent), and mudslides (vodka, Bailey's, Kahlua, and cream/milk) are awesome! They're basically alcoholic chocolate milk, as far as I'm concerned.

The Rose Dragon
2009-11-08, 03:40 PM
Coke and vodka does not sound like a very good combo.

It is not only good, but also very common.

Also, any bar I've been to always makes a Black Russian with Coke.

Ippolit
2009-11-08, 04:08 PM
It is not only good, but also very common.

Also, any bar I've been to always makes a Black Russian with Coke.
^This

Also a White Russian with coke is called a Colorado Bulldog (Thank you Last Call (http://reviews.cnet.com/pc-games/last-call-pc/4528-9696_7-30975290-2.html) for teaching me that).

Erothayce
2009-11-08, 05:24 PM
I say go for shots. More fun in my opinion. Although you can't go wrong with 2 or 3 Irish car bombs.

Don Julio Anejo
2009-11-08, 05:41 PM
Jägerbombs.

Giving people heart attacks since 1935!

PS: fill a shot with Jägermeister. Half-fill a cold glass with cold Red Bull (to the point where it's slightly lower than a shotglass). Drop the shot in it. Chug! Ask for the Heimlich maneuver. Chug some more!

Voilà! You are now all ready to party.

Catch
2009-11-08, 05:48 PM
So. Twenty-First birthdays.

Recommend me something.

Tom Collins. Gin, lemon juice, sugar and enough seltzer to fill the glass. They're tasty and easy to make, so I drink 'em in bars that won't serve martinis.

Plus, you'll feel classy.

@V: No, no. A martini is made with gin. Bond made the vodka bastardization popular, which is terribly ironic, considering the Britsh relationship with gin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gin_Craze). Vodka has no natural flavor, which completely throws off the balance of tastes, which is the whole point of the drink. Gin is redistilled with botanicals (most importantly juniper), which mingles with the spices in vermouth.

Vodka is potato liquor. But not always.

Not like I'm a snob or anything....

snoopy13a
2009-11-08, 06:08 PM
Martinis aren't bad.

Old school people go with gin instead of vodka.

Quirinus_Obsidian
2009-11-08, 06:41 PM
red Devil.

Cranberry juice and a good vodka, like grey goose.

snoopy13a
2009-11-08, 06:46 PM
red Devil.

Cranberry juice and a good vodka, like grey goose.

Why would you drown a good vodka in cranberry juice? If you're going to drink a cape codder (the US term for vodka and cranberry juice) or a screwdriver then it is better to use cheap vodka. There's no sense using top shelf stuff in those drinks.

raitalin
2009-11-08, 07:04 PM
I'm a fan of the Boilermaker, a shot of whiskey in a glass of beer. Better than its individual parts, especially with cheap beer and whiskey.

Screwdrivers are good, I add Mt. Dew to mine, call it an Electric Screwdriver.

Jagerbombs make me black out, plus I think Jager is disgusting. Like Robotussin.

White Russians are good, as are mudslides, but I wouldn't drink them all night, the cream gets a little heavy.

arguskos
2009-11-08, 07:48 PM
Uh, on the Black Russian, the International Bartenders Association has this (http://www.iba-world.com/english/cocktails/blackrus.php) recipe for them. They do not have Coke in them.

charl
2009-11-08, 08:30 PM
Uh, on the Black Russian, the International Bartenders Association has this (http://www.iba-world.com/english/cocktails/blackrus.php) recipe for them. They do not have Coke in them.

Quite obviously. Coke and kahlua in the same drink? No thank you.

arguskos
2009-11-08, 08:33 PM
Quite obviously. Coke and kahlua in the same drink? No thank you.
No damn joke. :smallyuk:

Coke is great, but NOT with Kahlua or anything Coffee flavored, for that matter. Blech.

Stormthorn
2009-11-08, 08:52 PM
Dont drink Gin. Its impurities give horrible hangovers.
And it tastes bad.

Drink a Backdraft. And then inhale it and suck it through a straw (complicated drink). Then pass out.

charl
2009-11-08, 08:54 PM

Oh yeah. Gin hangovers are almost as bad as red wine hangovers. It's pure torture through and through. Gin is best in small portions, maybe as a martini to start up the evening, but not as your main binge fuel.

Catch
2009-11-08, 09:26 PM
And it tastes bad.

Impurities is not the best choice of word, and drinking clear liquors is preferable, because they have fewer congeners, which can contribute to hangovers. Really, the only alcohol that's lighter on your body than gin is vodka, because congeners are responsible for the taste, color and flavor of alcohol, and vodka has basically none of those.

In terms of congener content, hangovers from worst to mildest: Brandy -> red wine -> rum -> whiskey -> white wine -> gin -> vodka -> Shirley Temple.

And as far as taste goes, there's no accounting.

Coidzor
2009-11-08, 09:35 PM
Well, I'm having a Harvey Wallbanger. OJ, Vodka, and Galliano.

My first mixed drink since I accidentally bought kahlua white russian mix rather than kahlua... And couldn't find any heavy cream anyway.

Next up is Screwdriver.

On Gin, I hate it, and my friend's mom is an englishwoman who asserts that you're not old enough to drink until you can take and enjoy warm gin.

Is this your 21st, Coidzilla?!

Yes. yes it is, my good sir. :smallwink:

...I'm kind kinda scared of that Caesar with the Clamato bit....@_@

Stormthorn
2009-11-08, 09:44 PM
In terms of congener content, hangovers from worst to mildest: Brandy -> red wine -> rum -> whiskey -> white wine -> gin -> vodka -> Shirley Temple.

This is true. But of this list I drink Vodka. So...yea.
And tequila, but it isnt on the list.

Unfortunatly, i cant seem to find anyone who has done any really in depth study on how much of a hangover is congeners as opposed to alchohol content.

AshDesert
2009-11-08, 09:55 PM
No damn joke. :smallyuk:

Coke is great, but NOT with Kahlua or anything Coffee flavored, for that matter. Blech.

Oh god. That reminds of that awful "Coke Black" crap that they tried a few years ago. It was 85% Coke, 15% some of the worst coffee I've ever had (the percentages may be switched and/or wrong, I don't like reliving that experience).

Anyway, on topic. I don't know the specific name for it, but original Bailey's, put in a blender with some ice, peppermint liquer, and vanilla extract (a dab'll do on the peppermint and vanilla) is freakin' amazing.

Catch
2009-11-08, 09:59 PM
Unfortunatly, i cant seem to find anyone who has done any really in depth study on how much of a hangover is congeners as opposed to alchohol content.

Part of it is that congener content differs not only with the type of drink, but that particular batch. Congeners include metals and fusel alcohols, which can compound the effects of a hangover, which is primary caused by dehydration and byproducts of alcohol metabolism.

Ethanol is broken down to acetaldehyde (which is far more toxic than alcohol and makes you feel like garbage) before being converted to acetic acid, which is the substance that makes vinegar so pungent. Since ethanol has a diuretic effect also, there's some basis for the expression "full of piss and vinegar," which could describe the energy (in young folk, at least) that comes after a hangover passes.

snoopy13a
2009-11-08, 11:00 PM

I should hope you don't get a hangover from Shirley Temples :smalltongue:

I think I'll order one the next time I go into a bar just to see the reaction of the bartender. It is kinda like ordering a Happy Meal at McDonalds.

TheThan
2009-11-08, 11:09 PM
how about something manly (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDlMLqdvHzI)

GallóglachMaxim
2009-11-08, 11:10 PM
Screwdrivers are good, I add Mt. Dew to mine, call it an Electric Screwdriver.

Hey, I did that, except it was a shot of blue curaçao and called it a Sonic Screwdriver. Came out a very weird colour, but it tasted alright.

charl
2009-11-08, 11:26 PM
A sonic screwdriver could be a vodka and tonic drunk under a blacklight.

Stormthorn
2009-11-08, 11:27 PM
I make something I call a Black Dragon. Although its more dark brown. Not that a Tequila Sunrise really looks like a sunrise.

Pour a tad of Jamesons in a glass that holds at least 2 ounces (prefferably one with a slight funnel shape to it) then cover it with your hand. Spin it in circles sideways to get whisky all along the inside of the glass, then pour out the bit of whisky or leave it on the bottom to taste. Liberaly sprinkle cinnimon into the glass so it sticks to the thin layer of whisky. Pour in an ounce of Creme De Cocao and then an ounce of Coca Cola on top of that. Dont pour too gently, since you want them to mix.
Drink it. Works both for sipping or for throwing back. If you do the latter, i suggest you also spinkle Cayanne pepper in with the cinnimon so you can be a badass.

Serpentine
2009-11-09, 12:20 AM
Margaritas(sp?) are taaaasty. Here's the version I wrote on here earlier, that I'd made with friends a couple of days before:

In a normal-sized blender (2L maybe?): Something in the viscinity of one lemon and 1/4-1/2 a lime's worth of juice, 6 shots of triple-sec, 4 shots of tequila (I'd had a complaint from the birthday girl that the first one was too tequilary), most of the rest with ice, a "glug" (maybe a cup) of citrussy soft-drink. Mix 'til it's a soft slushy-like consistency, with as few ice chunks as possible.

I know, it's vague, but I sorta did it by taste.

Bailey's and milk. Mmmmmn =d Also Toblerone: from memory, frangellico, honey and/or chocolate sauce, and... a couple of other things I can't remember. Cream or milk? Some other alcomahol...

Dracomorph
2009-11-09, 12:40 AM
I've got a recipe I called the Pagan Offering, because I thought of it while watching HBO's Rome. It's:

1 part honey liqueur (Wild Turkey American Honey is great, so is Bärenjäger)
1 part lemon juice

Shake over ice, and serve.

Dexam
2009-11-09, 03:14 AM
How about a Squashed Frog?

In a clear single (30mL) shot glass:
1. half fill with Midori
2. verrrrry slowly pour in about 10 mL of Advocaat
3. float a thin layer (5mL) of Baileys Irish Cream on top
4. add several drops of Grenadine (I find using a drinking straw as a pipette is best)

Visually very impressive, and quite tasty too. :smallsmile:

Another favourite of mine is the Hellraiser:
1 part Midori, 1 part Strawberry Liquer, 1 part Black Sambucca; layer in order in a small shot glass. :smallcool:

charl
2009-11-09, 03:23 AM
You could always try Death in The Afternoon. It's a jigger of absinth, mixed with cold champagne until the mixture turns milky.

Coidzor
2009-11-09, 03:26 AM
Anyone ever get hungry while drinking?

Because the more I drank last night/tonight/a bit ago, the more hungry I became. :smalleek:

charl
2009-11-09, 03:28 AM
Anyone ever get hungry while drinking?

Because the more I drank last night/tonight/a bit ago, the more hungry I became. :smalleek:

Yes. Drinking munchies is a common phenomenon. They are best treated by eating some unhealthy, fatty and salty food. That's what your body wants.

Coidzor
2009-11-09, 03:33 AM
^: I ate half a bag of crisps. about 6 slices of toasted bread. 1/4 of a thing of chicken ramen mixed with peanut butter and with some kind of spicy coooked beans added in on top....

and that's all I cna remember.

I should hope you don't get a hangover from Shirley Temples :smalltongue:

I think I'll order one the next time I go into a bar just to see the reaction of the bartender. It is kinda like ordering a Happy Meal at McDonalds.

Something fairly common which is now a rarity because they no longer exist?