PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Item or Creature Feature

LibraryOgre
2009-11-08, 02:53 PM
So, I'm looking at converting the Haunted Halls of Eveningstar to 4e (because I maintain you can play 4e with the earlier settings), and am looking through the Monster Manual. Several creatures have weapon attacks with special features... for example, an Efreet Cinderlord's scimitar dos 2d10 damage+7 damage (appropriate to size, strength, and level), but also does ongoing 5 fire damage.

Is that ongoing 5 fire damage (and similar effects on other monsters) inherent to the sword, or to the efreet? Is it that a Cinderlord's scimitar does on going 5 fire, even if someone else picks it up, or is the Cinderlord using an at-will power that does 2|W| + 5 ongoing fire?

DSCrankshaw
2009-11-08, 02:58 PM
In 4e, it would typically be a creature power, not an item property. The thing with making it an item property is that your PCs may be able to use it. Even if it's too large for a PC to use, there's the transfer enchantment ritual, which would put it on a PC weapon. Of course, if you want your PCs able to use it, you can make it an item.

Hashmir
2009-11-08, 03:14 PM
Yeah, I'm going to go with an at-will. I'd say the rule of thumb is, "Would I mind the party picking up the weapon and using it?"

Another question worth considering: "Would it make sense for the monster to lose the ability without the weapon?" In this case, would the Efreet be unable to deal the ongoing fire damage if he had a different sword? I'd say probably not.

Sir Homeslice
2009-11-08, 04:42 PM
If it has the weapon keyword and requires a weapon, as per the... DMG or MM, it can be wielded by PCs, but they don't gain proficiency in it.

Kurald Galain
2009-11-08, 06:56 PM
It's a weapon power (aka the flaming sword) but a PC will only be able to use it once per day, and only if they haven't used too many other items yet during that day, because they lack the karmic esoteric radiant flamey essence that efreeti have.

Rockphed
2009-11-08, 08:29 PM
I think the important question to ask is: If the Efreet were unarmed, would people he thwacked be set on fire? If yes, then make the burning a property of his attacks. The next question to ask is: If somebody else uses the sword, do they catch stuff on fire? If yes, then make the burning a property of the sword. Note that these two questions are not an either or set. At least one must be yes, but both could be yes.