PDA

View Full Version : Planar Expel: No More Revolving Door Dimissals (Spell)

Lysander
2009-11-08, 03:08 PM
Nothing really prevents dismissed or banished outsiders from returning. That's where Expel comes in.

Expel
Abjuration
Level: Clr 6, Sor/Wiz 7
Components: V, S, DF
Casting Time: 1 standard actions
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target: One extraplanar creature
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Will negates
Spell Resistance: Yes

Expelling an outsider functions as Dismissal, except it also makes it difficult for them to return. An outsider is incapable of returning to any plane they were expelled from unless magically summoned through a calling spell by a native being of that plane. The expel effect lasts until its caster dies, is destroyed, or allows the outsider to return freely. There is no ongoing spell to dispel or disjoin, an expelled creature is instead kept out by universal rules outsiders are subject to.

The spell doesn't actually prevent outsiders from returning forever. It just means they have to find an evil (or good) magician to let them back in. PCs will be able to kill their mortal agents to keep them out until the outsider finds a new ally, which is a bit more satisfying than dismissing them every day. That way an outsider can be a recurring enemy, but not a frustratingly recurring enemy.

It also provides fun plot options since it makes whoever cast the spell a huge target. Players can be tasked to either protect or assassinate a person who expelled a powerful outsider.

Debihuman
2009-11-08, 03:24 PM
Actually it should function as banishment not dismissal since banishment is more powerful than dismissal. Futhermore, it should be a caster level higher since this is a more powerful spell.

I'm not sure I'd allow this as it might be too powerful. Which "calling spells" do you recommend? You should list all of them.

Debby

Lysander
2009-11-08, 03:37 PM
Actually it should function as banishment not dismissal since banishment is more powerful than dismissal. Futhermore, it should be a caster level higher since this is a more powerful spell.

I'm not sure I'd allow this as it might be too powerful. Which "calling spells" do you recommend? You should list all of them.

Debby

Except Banishment allows you to get rid of several creatures at once, this is still limited to one. Mechanically it's the same as Dismissal except they can't come back on their own.

Really any spell with the calling descriptor that applies to that outsider is fine. A planar ally spell, gate, etc. The important thing is that someone must let it in.

Debihuman
2009-11-08, 04:19 PM
While banishment may affect more than one outsider, this is still a more powerful spell on an objective level. It prevents the outsider from returning without being called. The next level of power would be a similar spell that affects more than one creature. I wouldn't allow this in a campaign unless it were a higher level than banishment.

Debby