PDA

View Full Version : So, did anyone actually see the Dune references coming?

JonestheSpy
2009-11-08, 03:46 PM
In retrospect, it should have been easy to predict: the characters in a strip that makes lots of pop culture refernces are trekking through a big desert meets possibly the most famous science fiction novel of all time. But it totally blindsided me.

Was anyone out there just waiting from some sandworms to pop up, as it were?

BatRobin
2009-11-08, 03:47 PM
Ever since we saw OOTS in this desert place, like half the Comic Discussion thread's posts were "And bring on the Dune references".

I didn't see it that much, though.

Surfing HalfOrc
2009-11-08, 03:57 PM
Purple worms? Yeah, sort of. I remember purple worms in "The Desert of Desolation" from way back in the day.

Reference to Frank Herbert's "Dune?" 100% blind-sided! Not at all. Not until Belkar's eyes began to glow blue.

Porthos
2009-11-08, 04:01 PM
Reference to Frank Herbert's "Dune?" 100% blind-sided! Not at all. Not until Belkar's eyes began to glow blue.

I suppose if I had thought about it, I could have seen it coming. But as I am not exactly a Dune fan (don't hate it BTW... just don't care about it), I have an excuse for not even thinking about it. :smallwink:

As for when I twigged the reference in the strip? Well, since I get notified that the comics are up on a RSS feed, I saw the title before I saw the comic.

And once I saw the title, I had a very strong hunch as to the direction of the strip. :smallbiggrin:

AtopTheMountain
2009-11-08, 04:16 PM
I didn't get the title reference, but mabye that's because I only read the first book, and that was several years ago. But I didn't see it coming until Belkar's eyes turned blue, yeah.

ThePhantasm
2009-11-08, 04:17 PM
I know the reference when I see it, but I'm not a huge Dune fan so I wasn't waiting on the edge of my seat or anything for it to happen. I hope that this is really the only event that references it and that none of this turns out to be a major plot point or anything.

Ron Miel
2009-11-08, 05:06 PM
In retrospect, it should have been easy to predict: the characters in a strip that makes lots of pop culture refernces are trekking through a big desert ...

There are many stories set in deserts. We might have predicted a Beau Geste reference, or a Tatooine reference, or a dozen others.

Omergideon
2009-11-08, 05:16 PM
I expected it yes.

I also expect a Stargate reference, Star Wars reference (tatooine), and perhaps a pilgramige of some sort.

hamishspence
2009-11-09, 03:57 AM
We had a Stargate reference in Start of Darkness.

Though I suppose we might get another.

Cracklord
2009-11-09, 05:00 AM
I'm just hoping Durkon will do a Moses reference.
That would make my day.

the_tick_rules
2009-11-09, 01:12 PM
When he drank spice and got blue eyes I saw the dune. I read to the worm before I took the time to think about it.

Scarlet Knight
2009-11-09, 11:33 PM
There are many stories set in deserts. We might have predicted a Beau Geste reference, or a Tatooine reference, or a dozen others.

I confess, I didn't think of Dune until the blue eyes set in. I was sure the story would be filled with Arabian Nights & Star Wars references. :smallredface:

Darius1020
2009-11-09, 11:40 PM
I've never read Dune, so i didn't see it coming, but i'm personally waiting for the Aladdin references...

Herald Alberich
2009-11-10, 12:05 AM
And I'm still hoping to see a Jawa. Maybe a Tusken Raider instead now that we've left Sandsedge.

Nilan8888
2009-11-10, 03:24 PM
I would not say I ABSOLUTELY expected it, but I was certainly not surprised by it. In fact maybe on some level of anticipation I wrote a whole re-wording of the "litany against fear" replacing it with O-Chul over on the O-Chul thread.

And as soon as I saw the title I knew what he was doing before clicking the link.

You don't read this comic as a previous Dune fan and NOT get that title. It's one of the biggest mantras of the whole series.

Shining Sadist
2009-11-10, 03:43 PM
I didn't get the title reference, but mabye that's because I only read the first book, and that was several years ago. But I didn't see it coming until Belkar's eyes turned blue, yeah.

The spice must flow is said in the book, due both to its enormous economic power, and how fragile the supply is.

Hiest, monkey
2009-11-10, 05:33 PM
I'm a little annoyed at the Dune references. None of the characters has made a comment as to their nature, so it seems a bit like cheating.

But they are entertaining. If Belkar dies of spice addiction, then I'll be very disapointed. Using a passing joke, cribbed form another's creation, in order to directly influence the plot is weak.

But hey, it's not my comic, and no one is forcing me to read it.

Iuris
2009-11-11, 02:57 AM
I like Dune (as long as any Brians are left outside), but the reference in OOTS feels just a bit.. too much. It's no longer just a reference, a side joke, and rather part of the main storyline.

I just like easter eggs small, not Ostrich sized.