PDA

View Full Version : Metamagic feat help

Ilriyn
2009-11-08, 07:44 PM
I'm needing some help with choosing my 5th level wizard feat. My character is a domain wizard, with the enchantment domain. I'm using only SRD for this campaign. There are no exceptions, SRD ONLY.

So my character uses primarily enchantment spells, with some evocation spells. What metamagic feat should I select? (We won't have time to make use of item creation feats)

I'm thinking either Extend or Heighten Spell. What do you all think?

arguskos
2009-11-08, 07:45 PM
Extend, hands down.

GoodbyeSoberDay
2009-11-08, 07:54 PM
What feats do you have already?

What's the rest of the party look like?

Are you planning on PrCing into Loremaster or Archmage?

Ceteris paribus, Heighten Spell is better for sorcerers. I'd take Extend Spell.

Darcand
2009-11-08, 08:43 PM
I second extend.

PhoenixRivers
2009-11-08, 08:45 PM
I'm gonna vote extend too. Good for long-term buffs, and Save or Lose with duration, such as Charm or Dominate.

ericgrau
2009-11-08, 08:54 PM
Extend, hands down.

Skip extend, get a lesser metamagic rod of extend 3/day for only 3,000 gp. That'll cover most spells that need it, as buffs tend to be 3rd level or lower. I don't see any higher level enchantments that need extending. Charm and dominate last so long that they rarely need extending. If you evoke, then get empower. You might not use it until level 7, but it is excellent. You can also use it on spells like ray of enfeeblement. Heighten is better for sorcerers, but if you have low level enchantments that you really like with no better high level spell to replace it with then you can heighten them. So, ya, empower or heighten.

PhoenixRivers
2009-11-08, 08:58 PM
Extend is still worth it. Even if rods are cheap, having flexibility and options in your higher level spells is useful... As well as not being limited to 3 extends a day. Often, you'll want to extend 1 buff or 4. 3 is an odd number in 4-5 man parties.

Darcand
2009-11-08, 09:06 PM
If you go with rods, get more then one. Infact, get more then two. Essentially every spell you cast will benefit from extending, between party buffs and save or sucks.

GoodbyeSoberDay
2009-11-08, 09:06 PM
I like keeping metamagic rod charges open for combat applications. Though buying extra rods would solve that problem, at a certain point the wealth will be more important than the feat and bumped spell slots.

Thurbane
2009-11-08, 09:39 PM
Extend is really handy for spells that normally have a fixed duration of 1 round (like Ice Storm). Doubles the "bang for you buck" for only +1 level.

PhoenixRivers
2009-11-08, 09:47 PM
That's another valid point. Metamagic Rods can supplement the actual feat many times, saving that extend for when you need it on the fly.

jiriku
2009-11-08, 11:10 PM
In order of usefulness:

1. Extend
2. Empower
3. Heighten

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-11-08, 11:39 PM
Extend is a trap... by the time you can use it, you don't need it.

Silent Spell means not worrying as much about Silence + Stuck combos

Still Spell means telling grapplers to go jump in the lake... and with the Enchantment college, making them do it.

Quicken Spell is king. It breaks the Action Economy, which is where true power lies.

Empower Spell can be used on certain spells to great effect. Particularly Enervation, but others can use it. Much better than Maximize, as it generally has about the same average output for lower cost.

Reach Spell is in the SRD, under 'divine abilities and feats index' and can be used to make your annoyingly powerful touch spells hit someone 30' away. Otto's Irresistible Dance, or Hideous Laughter are two good examples. Touch of Idiocy is another.

GoodbyeSoberDay
2009-11-09, 03:50 AM
Reach Spell is in the SRD, under 'divine abilities and feats index'Whoa, thank you for pointing this out!

PhoenixRivers
2009-11-09, 06:27 AM
Extend is a trap... by the time you can use it, you don't need it.Disagree. It can be used to decent effect as early as level 5, for 10 hour buffs. At level 12, it makes hours/level buffs into all day buffs. At the highest levels, you get 2 days on every buff, freeing up spell slots.

Silent Spell means not worrying as much about Silence + Stuck combosIMO, this is one that's best to Rod. It doesn't come up often enough to warrant a feat, but is useful to have in a pinch.

Still Spell means telling grapplers to go jump in the lake... and with the Enchantment college, making them do it.Then again, so does Freedom of Movement.

Quicken Spell is king. It breaks the Action Economy, which is where true power lies.And is utterly useless prior to level 9, and not actually effective until level 13. Consider, at level 13-14, it's not that difficult to get the rod, and actually save your 7th level slots for power spells.

Empower Spell can be used on certain spells to great effect. Particularly Enervation, but others can use it. Much better than Maximize, as it generally has about the same average output for lower cost.Agreed.

Reach Spell is in the SRD, under 'divine abilities and feats index' and can be used to make your annoyingly powerful touch spells hit someone 30' away. Otto's Irresistible Dance, or Hideous Laughter are two good examples. Touch of Idiocy is another.Correct. In the SRD, that feat is made available to deities, per the preface at the top of the section including it. As the text is permissive (Deities may choose the feats listed below), it can be inferred that those that are NOT deities do not have the option.

Eldariel
2009-11-09, 06:33 AM
Then again, so does Freedom of Movement.

And Dimension Door.

Correct. In the SRD, that feat is made available to deities, per the preface at the top of the section including it. As the text is permissive (Deities may choose the feats listed below), it can be inferred that those that are NOT deities do not have the option.

That's fairly trivial though since they're printed as available for anyone in various sources so as long as they are somewhere in the SRD, they should be a fair game.

PhoenixRivers
2009-11-09, 06:47 AM
That's fairly trivial though since they're printed as available for anyone in various sources so as long as they are somewhere in the SRD, they should be a fair game.

Should be, yes.

However, RAW are? No. If I was restricting things to the SRD, I likely wouldn't let the Deities section in for PC's and non-divine NPC's. After all, if I'm going to be restrictive in sources, I'm not going to include splat material that's printed as restricted beyond epic level in the SRD. The general intent of such restrictions does not indicate a DM willing to foster creative expression through immense diversity in choice. More one that's interested in fostering reining in some of the excesses.

In other words, if the DM restricts you, trying to weasel around it by looking in the SRD section for gods is generally bad form.

Thurbane
2009-11-09, 09:13 PM
Disagree. It can be used to decent effect as early as level 5, for 10 hour buffs. At level 12, it makes hours/level buffs into all day buffs. At the highest levels, you get 2 days on every buff, freeing up spell slots.
I concur - I have always found Extend to be one of the best value-for-level metamagic feats, especially in the core game. It can also mean the difference between a 1 round/level buff running out during, or after, a battle.

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-11-09, 10:07 PM
Should be, yes.

However, RAW are? No. If I was restricting things to the SRD, I likely wouldn't let the Deities section in for PC's and non-divine NPC's. After all, if I'm going to be restrictive in sources, I'm not going to include splat material that's printed as restricted beyond epic level in the SRD. The general intent of such restrictions does not indicate a DM willing to foster creative expression through immense diversity in choice. More one that's interested in fostering reining in some of the excesses.

In other words, if the DM restricts you, trying to weasel around it by looking in the SRD section for gods is generally bad form.

It has no prerequisites as far as divine rank go... in fact, it has no prerequisites at all. I see no reason not to let a player use it

Foryn Gilnith
2009-11-09, 10:13 PM
If I choose to use "SRD only", it would be mostly to even the playing field. All of SRD is accessible to all the players, so no benefits for having splatbooks. If I wanted to be restrictive I wouldn't let in psionics. IMO the divine-related feats are clearly part of the SRD and for general consumptions.

Objectively, it obviously isn't so clear, but it seemed clear to me on reading. It can't hurt for us to suggest it, though - worst-case scenario the DM spends three seconds rejecting it.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-11-09, 10:15 PM
If I choose to use "SRD only", it would be mostly to even the playing field. All of SRD is accessible to all the players, so no benefits for having splatbooks. If I wanted to be restrictive I wouldn't let in psionics. IMO the divine-related feats are clearly part of the SRD and for general consumptions.

Objectively, it obviously isn't so clear, but it seemed clear to me on reading. It can't hurt for us to suggest it, though - worst-case scenario the DM spends three seconds rejecting it.I don't get being restrictive of psionics. Restrict core, leave psionics, ToB, etc alone.

arguskos
2009-11-09, 10:16 PM
I don't get being restrictive of psionics. Restrict core, leave psionics, ToB, etc alone.
Psionic's power to nova like a bitch is detrimental and damaging to some campaigns, thus, in some cases, it is wise to restrict it's usage.

Also, a Telepath RUINS any secret based campaign. :smallyuk: That one is from experience.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-11-09, 10:18 PM
Psionic's power to nova like a bitch is detrimental and damaging to some campaigns, thus, in some cases, it is wise to restrict it's usage.
I don't think so, Tim.

A Psion is limited as to the amount of PP he can spend on a spell by his class level.

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-11-09, 10:21 PM
Disagree. It can be used to decent effect as early as level 5, for 10 hour buffs. At level 12, it makes hours/level buffs into all day buffs. At the highest levels, you get 2 days on every buff, freeing up spell slots. At the price of a higher level spell slot. By level 12, your hours/level buffs are effectively all day anyways. Before then, you won't have the slots necessary to pull it off.

IMO, this is one that's best to Rod. It doesn't come up often enough to warrant a feat, but is useful to have in a pinch. Depends on how often it's used against you

Then again, so does Freedom of Movement. Which is on every spell list... EXCEPT Wiz/Sorc. So you'll have to pull MORE shenanigans to get access to it.

And is utterly useless prior to level 9, and not actually effective until level 13. Consider, at level 13-14, it's not that difficult to get the rod, and actually save your 7th level slots for power spells. Since this is Core Only, you do have a point. However, Quicken can be exceedingly handy later on. Quicken DimDoor, while an 8th level spell, can save your life. Quicken Enervation is an 8th level spell, and drops an opponent's resists enough for your next big Save or Loose spell to land. A one-two punch which works wonders.

Correct. In the SRD, that feat is made available to deities, per the preface at the top of the section including it. As the text is permissive (Deities may choose the feats listed below), it can be inferred that those that are NOT deities do not have the option.I don't see any Divine Rank requirements...

arguskos
2009-11-09, 10:28 PM
I don't think so, Tim.

A Psion is limited as to the amount of PP he can spend on a spell by his class level.
And I'm rather aware of that, thanks. I do permit Psionics, and I keep up on their tricks and abilities. :smalltongue:

HOWEVER. That very ability is what has some DMs shying away, at least, in my experience talking to other DMs.

PhoenixRivers
2009-11-10, 01:49 AM
It has no prerequisites as far as divine rank go... in fact, it has no prerequisites at all. I see no reason not to let a player use it

At the top of the SRD page for that feat, it states that the list is available for deities to choose from. This means, that, if your PC does not qualify in some way as a deity, the list is not available. It never reaches prereq's. The prereq to even use that list of feats is "deity".

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-11-10, 01:59 AM
At the top of the SRD page for that feat, it states that the list is available for deities to choose from. This means, that, if your PC does not qualify in some way as a deity, the list is not available. It never reaches prereq's. The prereq to even use that list of feats is "deity".

Not quite. It also says a deity can also take any other feat, which are certainly not excluded to PC's. Nor does it say only deities may take these feats. It says that Deities may take feats from the list. It never uses exclusive language, nor does it specifically state any prerequisites for using any of the feats, nor does it state in any of the feats any prerequisites about being a diety or having Divine Rank...

sofawall
2009-11-10, 02:03 AM
And I'm rather aware of that, thanks. I do permit Psionics, and I keep up on their tricks and abilities. :smalltongue:

HOWEVER. That very ability is what has some DMs shying away, at least, in my experience talking to other DMs.

Up to Manifester level, actually, not class level, and a Psion uses a fully augmented power to do MLd6. That's the equivalent of their highest spell slot. A Wizard? No need to spend higher spells slots, that Fireball will always do CLd6, no matter if it's cast as a third or as a ninth level spell.

rooster
2009-11-10, 02:12 AM
Up to Manifester level, actually, not class level, and a Psion uses a fully augmented power to do MLd6. That's the equivalent of their highest spell slot. A Wizard? No need to spend higher spells slots, that Fireball will always do CLd6, no matter if it's cast as a third or as a ninth level spell.
A level 9 Focused Enchanter casts 4 Dominate Persons per day.
A level 9 Telepath Overchannels for 10 Day-long Psionic Dominates per day.

If a party is going Nova/Narcolepsy, the Psion has more high-level mojo to swing around.

Edit:
Damn Psions and their balanced power list...

PhoenixRivers
2009-11-10, 02:16 AM
Not quite. It also says a deity can also take any other feat, which are certainly not excluded to PC's. Nor does it say only deities may take these feats. It says that Deities may take feats from the list. It never uses exclusive language, nor does it specifically state any prerequisites for using any of the feats, nor does it state in any of the feats any prerequisites about being a diety or having Divine Rank...

It states, more or less: Deities may pick from the feats listed below.

SRD also states that "A wizard may scribe a spell into a spellbook."

Now, it doesn't say that a Fighter or a Barbarian CAN'T... But when the text tells you what you can do, or who can do something, the default means that those not permitted, are not permitted.

Otherwise, I'll take my level 15 wizard, and apply all the incantatrix abilities to it. After all, the abilities don't say that non-incantatrixes CAN'T do that.

It's like stating "We have scheduled breaks at 10 and 10:15. All teachers may partake of the refreshments located in the foyer on the second floor."

Now, you could argue that the non-teachers haven't been prohibited. But the singling out of a specific group that is allowed indicates that the default is "not allowed".

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-11-10, 02:16 AM

No, a Fireball will do, at most, 10d6, as it quickly hits a cap.

A Psion? As long as he's got the points, he can keep raking up the damage. He can easily further increase his ML via items and feats, making him even nastier at the Nova.

PhoenixRivers
2009-11-10, 02:21 AM

A Psion? As long as he's got the points, he can keep raking up the damage. He can easily further increase his ML via items and feats, making him even nastier at the Nova.

The difference is:

A Lightning Bolt cast by a level 10 caster will always do 10d6 damage, and will expend a 3rd level slot

An Energy Bolt cast by a level 10 manifester, for the 5pp investment, will do 5d6. The same as when he was ML 5. He may augment it up to a 10d6 bolt, but now is spending 10 pp, or a bit more than the cost of a 5th level power.

Psions need more resources to maintain the boost that casters get for free. However, Psions have more flexibility, and are generally capped only by the PP they spend.

sonofzeal
2009-11-10, 02:37 AM

Name three ways for a Psion to boost his ML.

PhoenixRivers
2009-11-10, 03:01 AM
Name three ways for a Psion to boost his ML.

RAW on transparency is if an item designed to enhance spells can apply to psionics, it does.

So UMD Karma Bead would be one way.

sonofzeal
2009-11-10, 03:06 AM
RAW on transparency is if an item designed to enhance spells can apply to psionics, it does.

So UMD Karma Bead would be one way.
It may be "spells", but it's certainly not "divine spells". You could get it via a cleric dip, but that seems like a really odd choice.

PhoenixRivers
2009-11-10, 03:31 AM
It may be "spells", but it's certainly not "divine spells". You could get it via a cleric dip, but that seems like a really odd choice.

Karma bead applies the +4 CL to any spell, not just divine. While a cleric is given the activation method, any caster with a way to activate the item benefits from +4 CL.

For example, I've seen wizards use this with UMD to get better Casting power.

sonofzeal
2009-11-10, 03:37 AM
Karma bead applies the +4 CL to any spell, not just divine. While a cleric is given the activation method, any caster with a way to activate the item benefits from +4 CL.

For example, I've seen wizards use this with UMD to get better Casting power.
As a DM, I generally would frown on a Wizard or Psion using an item that's obviously intended for Clerics, and is obviously more powerful for them than it is for Cleric/Druid. It'd be kinda odd anyway, UMD is cross-classed for both and both generally use Cha as a dump stat. Without custom items of UMD (which the DM is under no obligation to allow), it's going to be pretty hard for a Wiz or Psion of most levels to get it without multiclassing.

PhoenixRivers
2009-11-10, 03:53 AM
As a DM, I generally would frown on a Wizard or Psion using an item that's obviously intended for Clerics, and is obviously more powerful for them than it is for Cleric/Druid. It'd be kinda odd anyway, UMD is cross-classed for both and both generally use Cha as a dump stat. Without custom items of UMD (which the DM is under no obligation to allow), it's going to be pretty hard for a Wiz or Psion of most levels to get it without multiclassing.

There are ways to get it as a class skill.
DC for activation is 25.

Further, the item's activation method is revealed to anyone who casts a divine spell. The activation is not limited to divine casters, however. The item gives no restrictions on who may or may not use the item.

A simple Identify spell will give you an item's activation method.

Alternately, if a cleric uses Imbue with Spell Ability and gives you a divine spell, and you cast it, the item confers the activation method to you.

In those cases, no UMD is needed. The item doesn't require divine caster to function. It just self-identifies to anyone who casts a divine spell.

sonofzeal
2009-11-10, 03:55 AM
There are ways to get it as a class skill.
DC for activation is 25.

Further, the item's activation method is revealed to anyone who casts a divine spell. The activation is not limited to divine casters, however. The item gives no restrictions on who may or may not use the item.

A simple Identify spell will give you an item's activation method.

Alternately, if a cleric uses Imbue with Spell Ability and gives you a divine spell, and you cast it, the item confers the activation method to you.

In those cases, no UMD is needed. The item doesn't require divine caster to function. It just self-identifies to anyone who casts a divine spell.
The SRD disagrees with you.

the beads of karma and summons can be activated by any character capable of casting divine spells

I don't think it's illogical to assume that means you can't activate it without being one (or making a high UMD check).

PhoenixRivers
2009-11-10, 04:24 AM
The SRD disagrees with you.

I don't think it's illogical to assume that means you can't activate it without being one (or making a high UMD check).

Fair enough. Didn't read down that far.

DC 25 is not high, however. At level 13, when the bead becomes affordable...

8 rank, +3 circlet of persuasion, +2 stat, +3 skill focus = +16. Provided you have time for rerolls (out of combat), you'll succeed before rolling a one 92% of the time.

Odds go up significantly with a wilder. In that case, you can reasonable assume, at level 13... +8 charisma, for a total of +22. With that, you might as well have Magical Aptitude for a +24, making success automatic.

Some less balanced methods include item familiars. With that, the above wiz could have a +24, for auto success.

PinkysBrain
2009-11-10, 04:36 AM
If you go outside of core you can use Weapons of Legacy for skill boost items.

sonofzeal
2009-11-10, 04:36 AM
Fair enough. Didn't read down that far.

DC 25 is not high, however. At level 13, when the bead becomes affordable...

8 rank, +3 circlet of persuasion, +2 stat, +3 skill focus = +16. Provided you have time for rerolls (out of combat), you'll succeed before rolling a one 92% of the time.

Odds go up significantly with a wilder. In that case, you can reasonable assume, at level 13... +8 charisma, for a total of +22. With that, you might as well have Magical Aptitude for a +24, making success automatic.

Some less balanced methods include item familiars. With that, the above wiz could have a +24, for auto success.
That includes spending a feat, sixteen skillpoints, and eating up a very valuable item slot. And it's pretty cheesy whoever you are, I'm not sure it contributes significantly to the "omg Psions are overpowered" argument.

PhoenixRivers
2009-11-10, 04:55 AM
That includes spending a feat, sixteen skillpoints, and eating up a very valuable item slot. And it's pretty cheesy whoever you are, I'm not sure it contributes significantly to the "omg Psions are overpowered" argument.

You asked to name ways to Boost ML. You didn't ask for the easy ways... Though in fairness, you only have to put on the circlet to activate the item, and can thereafter remove it in favor of another.

There's Overchannel, orange Ioun Stone, Karma Beads, Wild surge.

On the power level? Psions are one of the easiest classes to establish brutal levels of action economy. Powers that give extra actions. Powers that let you take extra turns. Powers that let you ready actions without specifying a trigger or an action. Basically, it's "do whatever you want, whenever you want".

They're much more friendly to theurge than most, as there's little difference between a high level power and an augmented low level power... Making Practiced Manifester one of the best things to have in such a build. Even better than it's spellcasting counterpart.

EDIT: Please note. Cheese is in the eye of the beholder. It's much less cheesy than, say, using Divine Spellpower, a karma bead, and a couple other items to cast Dictum/Holy Word type spells at +10-12 CL, making mincemeat of most CR appropriate encounters.

sonofzeal
2009-11-10, 05:22 AM
You asked to name ways to Boost ML. You didn't ask for the easy ways... Though in fairness, you only have to put on the circlet to activate the item, and can thereafter remove it in favor of another.

There's Overchannel, orange Ioun Stone, Karma Beads, Wild surge.
In fairness, I did specify Psions, not Wilders. And Surge can't be used with Overchannel. For the majority of either, they're mostly just limited to one of those two plus Orange Ioun Stone (which are only really attainable lvl 12 and up). I'll grant the point about Karma Beads, but only with the caveat that it's a really cheesy trick for anyone.

On the power level? Psions are one of the easiest classes to establish brutal levels of action economy. Powers that give extra actions. Powers that let you take extra turns. Powers that let you ready actions without specifying a trigger or an action. Basically, it's "do whatever you want, whenever you want".

They're much more friendly to theurge than most, as there's little difference between a high level power and an augmented low level power... Making Practiced Manifester one of the best things to have in such a build. Even better than it's spellcasting counterpart.

EDIT: Please note. Cheese is in the eye of the beholder. It's much less cheesy than, say, using Divine Spellpower, a karma bead, and a couple other items to cast Dictum/Holy Word type spells at +10-12 CL, making mincemeat of most CR appropriate encounters.
Wizards have Time Stop, Celerity, and many more options to reduce the cost of Quicken (which is already cheaper for them because it doesn't blow their Focus). I'm also not sure which power lets you ready things for free, can you share?

They are much more friendly to Theurge, that I'll definitely grant.

The original complaint was about Nova though, and this I think is a common fallacy. It's true that Psions can toss out fully-augmented powers longer than Wizards can toss out top-level spells, but all this proves is that Psions can blow through their resources faster. The question you have to ask is, is a fully-augmented power reliably as good as a top level spell?

And hey, for some purposes, yes. Psions are quite as good at blasting, perhaps even a little bit better. They can also totally keep up in the Will-Save-Or-Lose department. Aside from that though, you only have to look at the size of the spell lists. Even just in SRD, the Sor/Wiz spells outnumber the Psi/Wild powers by a heavy margin, and if you include splats then the difference becomes absolutely overwhelming.

A lot of Psion powers are identical to Sor/Wiz spells, and there's a precious few that are actually better (almost invariably on specialist-only lists though, making them far more awkward to access). In general though, I think the Sor/Wiz list wins out easily. It does so many things so well, and there's always going to be the right tool for the job in there somewhere, while Psions just have to make due with what they have.

PhoenixRivers
2009-11-10, 05:37 AM
Wizards have Time Stop, Celerity, and many more options to reduce the cost of Quicken (which is already cheaper for them because it doesn't blow their Focus). I'm also not sure which power lets you ready things for free, can you share?Temporal Acceleration, at lower levels. (level 5)
Anticipatory Strike, which gives you an entire turn, and doesn't daze you. (level 5)
Schism, which gives you multiple powers per round. (level 3)

Synchronicity, a level 1 psion power in complete psion... By the time you're slinging level 2 powers, you can augment it enough to ready an action to do whatever you want, whenever you want.

The original complaint was about Nova though, and this I think is a common fallacy. It's true that Psions can toss out fully-augmented powers longer than Wizards can toss out top-level spells, but all this proves is that Psions can blow through their resources faster. The question you have to ask is, is a fully-augmented power reliably as good as a top level spell?
Absolutely. Take the overchanneler. At level 13, the wizard can cast Summon Monster 7. The psion? Astral Construct, overchanneled to ML 15, and they get the equivalent of summon monster 8.

In addition, blast powers are better, mind-affecters are on par (hard to find a better save or lose than Death Urge), and scale appropriately when augmented. Psions get better boosting on Dispel Psionics.

The psion's real weakness is the same as the sorceror's. Lack of total flexibility.

And hey, for some purposes, yes. Psions are quite as good at blasting, perhaps even a little bit better. They can also totally keep up in the Will-Save-Or-Lose department. Aside from that though, you only have to look at the size of the spell lists. Even just in SRD, the Sor/Wiz spells outnumber the Psi/Wild powers by a heavy margin, and if you include splats then the difference becomes absolutely overwhelming.Psions are more than a little better at blasting. Their effects at any given level are doing 15-25% more damage, have more elemental flexibility.

A lot of Psion powers are identical to Sor/Wiz spells, and there's a precious few that are actually better (almost invariably on specialist-only lists though, making them far more awkward to access). In general though, I think the Sor/Wiz list wins out easily. It does so many things so well, and there's always going to be the right tool for the job in there somewhere, while Psions just have to make due with what they have.
Psions are on par with sorceror, pound for pound. Versatility gives wizards an edge.

However, in most cases, the best powers are NOT on specialist lists. As a psion, you'll get 1 list free, which means that the 1-2 other powers that are on lists that you'd like, you have the option of getting via feat.

sonofzeal
2009-11-10, 05:54 AM
Temporal Acceleration, at lower levels. (level 5)

I've got to head off so someone else will have to address the other points, but.... whaaa? It's a 6th level power! I don't know any way to manifest a 6th level power at level 5. By the time the Psion has that, the Wizard has had Celerity for four levels, and much more cheaply. Temporal Acceleration only renders you shaken, but Celerity works as an immediate rather than swift action, and I'd put the two on par. But then, the Psion has to expend more resources because it's a higher level power, so they come out behind. There's a brief window when the Psion can get two turns out of it for an 8th level power equivalent, but Wizards come back ahead by a hefty margin two levels later with Time Stop.

Also, I don't think Synchronicity is as bad as you think it is. Unless you've got Affinity Field or Quicken, it's basically like "delay action", something any character can do without spending a power known and some pp.

PhoenixRivers
2009-11-10, 06:02 AM
I've got to head off so someone else will have to address the other points, but.... whaaa? It's a 6th level power! I don't know any way to manifest a 6th level power at level 5. By the time the Psion has that, the Wizard has had Celerity for four levels, and much more cheaply. Temporal Acceleration only renders you shaken, but Celerity works as an immediate rather than swift action, and I'd put the two on par. But then, the Psion has to expend more resources because it's a higher level power, so they come out behind. There's a brief window when the Psion can get two turns out of it for an 8th level power equivalent, but Wizards come back ahead by a hefty margin two levels later with Time Stop.Anticipatory Strike is the one that goes against Celerity. Full turn of actions. Level 5.

Also, I don't think Synchronicity is as bad as you think it is. Unless you've got Affinity Field or Quicken, it's basically like "delay action", something any character can do without spending a power known and some pp.
Incorrect. I spend a standard action to manifest it.

I can treat any action, until the start of my next turn, as the trigger for a ready action. I need not state the trigger, I need not state the action. I may do both of those when I choose to take it. Unlike delay, this interrupts the turn of the player I perform it on, and happens before the trigger.

I can Synchronicity, and then, either manifest Anticipatory Strike (entire turn) if I need a lot of action, Ego Whip (in response to the hill giant attacking the fighter. If I knock charisma down to 0, the giant goes catatonic, and doesn't hit), Energy Stun in response to the caster casting(choosing cold to make it a fort save, and now he has to make a Save vs damage, a save vs stun, and a check to keep the spell), Vigor prior to an attack landing...

And I don't choose any of them until I want to interrupt someone else. THAT'S what you spend the points for. The ability to tell someone else "no".