PDA

View Full Version : Neverending Dungeon - Garth

Tanaric
2009-11-08, 08:53 PM
The air surrounding you fairly hums with the residue of magic, an aftereffect of the spell that brought you to this place. A quick glance reveals that you are in a fairly spacious room, devoid of any life save for yourself. The sound of dripping water can be heard faintly, and the stone walls are slick with moisture. In complete defiance of logic, two torches are already lit, one hanging by each of the doors presumably leading out of the room.

Map:{table]|A_|B_|C_|D_|E_|F_|G_
1||||||||
2||||||||
3||||||||
4|||G|||||
5||||||||
6||||||||[/table]

There is a door at G-3, and another at F-6.

DM notes:3, 20, 20

Sliver
2009-11-09, 12:19 AM
Garth looks around, dizzy after the weak magic took him from his life at sea, looking at the underground structure with some weird feeling of satisfaction growing inside of him. But he is no fool, and he move slowly towards the door near him, at G3. He will search the door in case it is trapped, and then will take out his listening cone and listen through it. If Garth is still fine and finds nothing to worry about, yet, he will open the door a bit and try to look through first.

Rolls:

[roll0]
[roll1]
Darn screwed the listen roll.. Roll for me ok? to avoid double posting for 1 roll.. I have +5, and the listening cone lets me reduce the penalty of listening through doors from -5 to -2 I think..
[roll2]

Tanaric
2009-11-09, 12:32 AM
You got a 7 including your mod.

Failing to notice the concealed copper wires strewn about the door, you foolishly place your ear against it. The trap triggers, and a current of electricity jolts through the wires spiderwebbing the door. You get a painful - if not life-threatening - shock for your troubles.

You hear nothing.

You take 1 point of electric damage.

Sliver
2009-11-09, 12:58 AM
If the trap isn't disabled after going off, I want to use the check from before if that is ok (for obvious reasons.. The dice hates me when it matters)

Garth grunts and curses his failing and works on disabling the trap, using well aimed weak shots of dark energy! (well, if I would have thought brining scissors to a dungeon would do good.. or maybe the thieves tools come with some cutters? then I would use those instead of blasting wires with elderich blast..)

After working on the trap, he will try to peek through the door. If he can not handle this trap without risking being zapped, he will take 20 on searching the other door.

Tanaric
2009-11-09, 01:00 AM
The trap was discharged after being triggered. From what you can tell, it looks like it would recharge itself after a while unless you disable it, though it would be obvious now from the scorch marks on the door.

Still want to disable it?

Sliver
2009-11-09, 01:07 AM
Nah, if I can open the door without disrupting the wires, I'm cool with letting them live. For now..

Tanaric
2009-11-09, 01:13 AM
Oh, no, you didn't pass the check quite enough to bypass the trap. I was just stating that maybe you wanted to check the other door instead of destroying a rechargable trap. *shrug*

Mindgames. Mindgaaaaameees. :smalltongue:

Sliver
2009-11-09, 01:20 AM
Oh I wasn't planning on destroying it, I was hoping I could ignore it and still open the door.. Can I take 20 on disabling it? If not then I will approach the other door and take 20 on searching it.

It looks a bit like that (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0035.html), but with an ape!

Anyway...

[roll0] - If I don't manage from first try I do until I pass the check or get totally screwed..
[roll1] - using listening cone again
[roll2]

Tanaric
2009-11-09, 01:34 AM
Taking 20 assumes you fail 19 times before you get it right, so... you could, but I wouldn't really advise it. :smalltongue:

You find that the other door is trapped in a manner identical to the first.

Sliver
2009-11-09, 01:43 AM
Taking 20 assumes you fail 19 times before you get it right, so... you could, but I wouldn't really advise it. :smalltongue:

You find that the other door is trapped in a manner identical to the first.

Uhh taking 20 is ok only when failing doesn't effect you.. Like in case of disable device where failing can cause the trap to spring. But knowing what I could expect, "wires" might be one of the first things I will look for.

Anyway.. I will take a part from my collapsable pole, wrap the part I hold with cloth and poke at the wires in the first door, where I triggered the trap. If it didn't recharge already in the time I took looking at the other wires and I have something to cut the wires (It is written that in the thieves' tools there is a hand saw.. *shrug*) I will do so.. If I don't have anything as such, I might as well Open it (with the cantrip) and hope for the best.

Tanaric
2009-11-09, 01:46 AM
Poking the first door doesn't get any reaction from the wires. Cutting all of the wires takes a while, but you do it. The trap won't be shocking anyone coming through the door now, yourself included.

Care to try the doorknob?

Taking 20 on an electric trap was a joke, by the way. I figured you didn't want to get shocked that many times, but I'd have let you if you wanted to. :smallwink:

Sliver
2009-11-09, 01:51 AM
Garth pokes the doorknob with his little stick, and then casts Open. He stands near the wall next to the door. If the door opens into the room he is at, Garth will stand on its other side to see inside. If he has no way to know which direction the door opens too.. He will stand right in front of it!

Tanaric
2009-11-09, 01:52 AM
Nothing happens when you poke the doorknob. Casting Open results in the door opening inwards, revealing an unlit corridor running north and south. It's impossible to determine how far it goes without a light source.

Sliver
2009-11-09, 01:59 AM
If Garth can, he will take the torch next to the door.. If not, he will take out his lantern and light it. To determine the length of the corridor, Garth has his rubber balls, but he decided not to throw one at the time.. If nothing catches his attention, he will take out the rest of his pole parts to make a 12' pole and with poking it on the ground where he would walk, he starts to move forward..

Tanaric
2009-11-09, 01:07 PM
The torch lifts easily from its bracket near the door.

Stepping out into the corridor reveals that it runs thirty feet to the north before teeing into an east-west corridor. Fifteen feet north from the door you just stepped out of, there is a door on the eastern side of the corridor.

To the south, the corridor runs twenty before taking a sharp eastern bend, with a door on the south face of the wall. Ten feet south of the door you just stepped out of, there is another eastern bend. You can barely make out that there is a pit in that corridor, though you cannot tell how far it extends from your current location.

Sliver
2009-11-09, 01:26 PM
Holding the torch in one hand and the pole in the other, Garth pokes the floor in his front while moving north. Disassembling the pole halfway, he searches the door on the eastern side, if he finds nothing he will poke it a few times, and then listen to it. If all is good.. He will open it.

Rolls:

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

Tanaric
2009-11-09, 02:18 PM
Your poking motions stop (hopefully) when your pole catches on a tripwire in the first square north of the door you exited.

Sliver
2009-11-09, 02:29 PM
Garth looks forward and up. If he doesn't find more wires down the corridor he will step above the wire, noting if there are wires at higher levels. If there are more wires down the corridor, he will turn towards the other end of the corridor and do the same. If that fails too.. He will use Summon Swarm invocation to summon a swarm of rats into the corridor to trigger the traps, cutting down himself wires after the traps are triggered and resummon the swarm..

Tanaric
2009-11-09, 02:31 PM
There is only one tripwire. You can step over it very easily.

Sliver
2009-11-09, 02:36 PM
A single wire.. After a trapped door.. Garth will summon a large swarm of rats after that wire, in case there is a trap triggered by weight.

Tanaric
2009-11-09, 02:37 PM
The rats (presumably) run down the hallway as far as their range limit. Nothing happens.

Sliver
2009-11-09, 02:43 PM
Stepping above the wire and going on with poking around with the pole while looking for more wires above ground level, he moves until he reaches the door. When he reaches the door.. Well he does his thing with the rolls I already made.. altough some are pretty bad..

Tanaric
2009-11-09, 02:46 PM
You find no traps on the door, and you hear nothing.

Sliver
2009-11-09, 02:56 PM
I have said in the last post that if all is good Garth will open the door.. So yeah, every time I do the Search, Disable, Listen, Open Lock, if there is nothing important (Like, finding a trap but being unable to disable it, or hearing something, or failing to open lock) could we please assume I open the door normally and describe as such? thanks :smallbiggrin: (that will be the his routine until I will see that it leads to my death and decide to change it)

Garth opens the door a little and looks inside. If there is no light and it doesn't seem like there is some reaction to him opening the door, he will move the torch closer to look through the crack. If all is still fine, he will open the door, look for wires in the opening and poke a bit with his pole, moving inside.

Tanaric
2009-11-09, 03:04 PM
Opening the door reveals the following room:{table]|A_|B_|C_|D_
1|||||
2|||||
3|||||
4|||||
5|||H||
6|||||
7|||||[/table]

There is a door at A-3, which you are standing just outside of, another at D-1 on the north side, and a third at D-7, on the south side. There is a humanoid figure at C-5. Spot check, please.

Sliver
2009-11-09, 03:07 PM
Uhh..

[roll0]

I find this result highly amusing..

Tanaric
2009-11-09, 03:14 PM
The humanoid figure seems at first glance to be nothing more than a very attractive human male, wearing leather armor studded with metal bits and carrying a rapier loosely in one hand. A closer look reveals a row of needlelike teeth behind the veil across his mouth, however. A chill smile splits his face, never reaching his eyes.

He sees you at the same time you see him.

Initiative (Mr. Toothy): [roll0]

Sliver
2009-11-09, 03:20 PM
[roll0]

Garth will summon a swarm (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/swarm.htm) of spiders on Mr. Toothy if he goes on first.

Edit: And he will.. Feel free to roll for them.. They pretty much act on themselves and I only need to concentrate on the invocation..

Tanaric
2009-11-09, 03:22 PM
Summon swarm has a 1-round casting time. It'll take effect at the start of your next turn if that's what you want to do.

Sliver
2009-11-09, 03:28 PM
Oh.. The one thing I have missed about this spell and it has to be it.. :smallmad:

Color Spray then..

Tanaric
2009-11-09, 03:29 PM
Will save: [roll0]

He passes out.

Sliver
2009-11-09, 03:35 PM
Garth approaches Mr. Toothy and delivers a well aimed dark blast, searching the body and examining the room further.

Tanaric
2009-11-09, 03:39 PM
That's 150 xp for you, along with the following loot:

A nice set of studded leather armor, a rapier, a light crossbow, ten crossbow bolts, a tattered noble's outfit, 37 gp, and 450 sp.

Please note that every 50 coins weigh one pound.

There are no traps to be found anywhere in the room.

Sliver
2009-11-09, 03:54 PM
Garth casts detect magic, taking the loot but leaving the outfit and armor on the corpse (unless magical).
Garth decides he will move north-east as much as he can, and so moving to the door at D1, he guesses it leads to the T corrider where he was, but will still search (taking 20) disable if there is something, and listen, before opening it and doing the whole pole routine.. which I guess he dropped to cast color spray before.. details.. he will pick it up again..

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

And with that, I announce I have to go to sleep.. Will be back in about 8 hours..

Tanaric
2009-11-10, 01:05 AM
Nothing registers as being magical. The door opens easily enough, revealing a corridor that runs north and west. To the west, it extends thirty feet before turning south. There is a south-running hallway twenty feet away from your door.

To the north, the hallway runs for forty feet before turning west. There is a door on the west side of the hallway, ten feet from your door.

Sliver
2009-11-10, 01:16 AM
Just woke up..:smallbiggrin:

Garth continues with his poking routine, turning north. Reaching the door, he will stop, search, listen.. the usual..

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

Tanaric
2009-11-10, 01:17 AM
You find that there is a tripwire in front of the door, and that the door itself is laced with concealed wires. Which did you try to disable first?

Sliver
2009-11-10, 01:23 AM
The concealed ones.. If the door opens into the room and I could walk over the tripwire, I will ignore it for now.. If the door opens out to the corridor then I will disable the tripwire..

[roll0]

Tanaric
2009-11-10, 01:25 AM
You fail to disable the wires on your first attempt, but don't set them off. Your second roll succeeds on disabling them. The door is a sliding door, neither opening in or out of the room. You can walk over the tripwire easily.

Sliver
2009-11-10, 01:30 AM
Garth will use his pole to slide the door, himself moving a bit back in the corridor from where he came. If needed...

[roll0]

Tanaric
2009-11-10, 01:30 AM
The entire room is cloaked in shadows, which your lanternedit: torch light does not penetrate.

Sliver
2009-11-10, 01:36 AM
Garth grunts to himself and closes the door, moving on deeper north, with the same poking routine.

Tanaric
2009-11-10, 01:39 AM
You find another tripwire five feet north of the door.

If you continue on:You reach the western bend with no further difficulties. The hall continues to the west for forty feet before turning south. Ten feet from your bend, there is a short (five foot) hallway, ending in a sliding metal door.

Sliver
2009-11-10, 01:47 AM
Reaching another sliding door.. Garth hopes there is no darkness behind it after working on their damn wires...

Garth takes special care to look for wires, but doesn't neglect to possibility for other kinds of traps..

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

If he doesn't have special trouble or hears something, he opens the door, preferably with his pole.

[roll4]

Tanaric
2009-11-10, 01:48 AM
You find nothing with your search check, but that's probably not surprising.

Sliver
2009-11-10, 01:51 AM
Don't I get some circumstance bonus in case those are wires? I know what to look for..

Well, not feeling more confident after not finding anything, Garth think that he just didn't search well enough, and without poking his pole at the door a few times, he try to listen if anything is through it..

Tanaric
2009-11-10, 01:54 AM
You hear the sound of faint chittering on the other side of the door.

Sliver
2009-11-10, 02:01 AM
Thinking it might be some sort of a swarm and believing he might not be able to handle such a threat at the moment, Garth decides to turn around and return, not forgetting to step over the tripwires. When he reaches the north-west corridor leading from where he encountered Mr. Toothy, he turns west and continues.

Tanaric
2009-11-10, 02:04 AM
You reach the south bend of the west-running corridor without issue. It extends south for fifteen feet before ending in a wall.

Sliver
2009-11-10, 02:08 AM
Garth slowly approaches the wall and examines it. If he finds nothing of interest he will head back and out the way he came to meet Mr. Toothy, head north and at the T he will head east. Not forgetting the pole poke and trip wires.. For now I am acting like a blind man in a dungeon..

Tanaric
2009-11-10, 02:09 AM
The wall crumbles at the touch of your pole, revealing a previously hidden entrance into the room you started in.

Edit: F-1 on the starting map.

Sliver
2009-11-10, 02:13 AM
Garth blinks "Interesting.." and does as he planned anyway.. getting out of the same door he did before, heading north but now turning east instead of entering the room where he encountered Mr. Toothy (he will glance inside to make sure he is still resting on the ground after their fun encounter..)

Tanaric
2009-11-10, 02:15 AM
Heading east at the T will take you on the same path that you found the wires and darkness room at.

Do you want a map of the explored areas?

Sliver
2009-11-10, 02:19 AM
That would be great:smallbiggrin:

He will head south then, glance at the corridor going east, with the pit.

Tanaric
2009-11-10, 02:27 AM
http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/7641/silverw.jpg

You're currently looking at the pit, which is 15 feet wide.

Sliver
2009-11-10, 02:33 AM
Garth will move to the southern door then.

[roll0] - if nothing found, poke it.
[roll1]
[roll2] -using listening cone
[roll3]
If everything is going ok, opening.
[roll4]

Tanaric
2009-11-10, 02:36 AM
Upon reaching the door, you see that the corridor extends twenty feet to the east before turning north.

You find nothing on the door.

Poking the door only results in a loud clang.

You hear the sounds of nervous chatter in a language you don't speak.

Sliver
2009-11-10, 02:44 AM
Garth will summon a swarm of bats. At his next turn when they appear he uses a standard action to concentrate on keeping them, opening the door with a move action. They would act right after him and see the targets.. :smallbiggrin:

[roll0]

Tanaric
2009-11-10, 02:52 AM
Opening the door reveals the following room:{table]|A_|B_|C_|D_|E_|F_
1||||||
2||||||
3||||||k
4||k|||k|
5|||k|||
[/table]

You see four kobolds standing around a large fire. Two are holding slings (B4, C5), and they pelt you as you open the door (readied actions). The other two are holding spears.

There is a door at B-1, which you are standing just outside of, another at A-4, and a third at F-5, south side.

Sling 1: [roll0]
Sling 2: [roll1]
Damage 1: [roll2]
Damage 2: [roll3]

Roll initiative.

K1: [roll4]
K2: [roll5]
K3: [roll6]
K4: [roll7]

Sliver
2009-11-10, 03:01 AM
Already did, I am only before K4 I guess..

But I was using my move action and my personal swarm of bats is acting right after me.. So it is able to move in and attack right now?

Uh yeah, one bullet is blocked by my chain shirt, while the other manages to strike true.

Edit: Oh and I will 5ft step into the corridor so that they won't be able to have a clear shot at me, if possible, leaving the kobolds with the swarm.

Tanaric
2009-11-10, 02:41 PM
(The encounter started as soon as you saw them. The bats act on your initiative count.)

The two kobolds with slings reload and try to pelt you again, while one of the ones with a spear moves toward the door and tenses, as if prepared to do something else.

Sling1: [roll0]
Sling2: [roll1]
Damage1: [roll2]
Damage2: [roll3]

Sliver
2009-11-10, 02:55 PM
Garth manages to avoid the bullets, 5ft stepping away from the slingers' view and commanding the bats to attack the nearest kobold (not that it matters, they would have done so anyway)

Uhh.. I donno.. It feels kinda weird that a swarm can miss but I didn't notice that he doesn't so...

[roll0]
[roll1] +wounding and kobold needs to check for distraction at his turn..

edit: Ow come on! 1?

Tanaric
2009-11-11, 12:16 AM
Swarms automatically do damage to all creatures whose spaces they occupy when they end their movement, no attack roll needed. Which squares did the swarm move to?

Sliver
2009-11-11, 12:21 AM
I assume there is a kobold at B1 (B1-B2-C1-C2 I guess) so they will form around him.. But that is only because I assume the large cloud of bats can't break out into smaller clouds to reach more kobolds.. I don't want to but I guess the damage roll is already decided..

Tanaric
2009-11-11, 12:33 AM
It can form into any four squares that touch each other, actually. Does that change anything?

Sliver
2009-11-11, 12:38 AM
If they are like the mirror image and just have to be next to 1 image, then they will form a bat wall from B1 to B4. In B4 there is a slinger kobold right?

[roll0] +wounding

Basically they just attack as best they can and I don't really have direct command over them anyway.. I guess stretching out to hit more targets is considered as best they can..

Tanaric
2009-11-11, 12:47 AM
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

You hear the sound of pained shouting, and slingstones striking the wall.

Your turn again.

Sliver
2009-11-11, 12:54 AM
Garth maintains concentration of the summon as the swarm continues to attack the kobolds

[roll0]
[roll1]

(Except the wounding, there is also distraction. Anyone starting in the square with the swarm effected)

Garth will take a peek inside the room and return to his safe spot right away.

Tanaric
2009-11-11, 12:58 AM
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

You see that two of the kobolds are laying on the ground in pools of their own blood, while the other two are trying to poke the swarm with their longspears.

Sliver
2009-11-11, 01:02 AM
Garth watches as the swarm moves on to strike the remaining kobolds.

[roll0] wounding, distraction
[roll1] same here

Tanaric
2009-11-11, 01:02 AM
[roll0]
[roll1]

Whitetext.

Tanaric
2009-11-11, 01:04 AM
One of the kobolds manages to shake off the effects of the swarm and charges you with his longspear.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Sliver
2009-11-11, 01:09 AM
Garth looks angrily at the kobold for his attempt to take his life, after being treated so well. The ape will tumble out of reach and will send forward a blast of dark energy, losing concentration on the summoned bats in the process.

[roll0]

I am now 25 or 20ft away from the kobold? No matter...

[roll1]
[roll2]

Uhh.. With bleeding and the already taken damage.. it might be enough..

Tanaric
2009-11-11, 01:13 AM
[roll0]

They're all dead, now.

100 xp and the gear mentioned on them, along with a pile of 2 gp, 14 sp in a corner of the room.

Sliver
2009-11-11, 01:20 AM
Collecting the coins, Garth approaches the door at F5 and examines it at his usual matter.

[roll0] - knowing to look for wires first - if nothing found, poke it.
[roll1]
[roll2] -using listening cone
[roll3]
If everything is going ok, opening.
[roll4]

Tanaric
2009-11-11, 11:36 AM
You find no traps on the door. You hear nothing through the door.

Opening the door reveals a hall that goes west and south. To the west, it goes fifteen feet before turning south. To the south, it goes thirty feet before turning west. You can barely make out that there is a pit after the western bend to the south.

Sliver
2009-11-11, 11:42 AM
Remembering to stick his pole before him and still watching out for any wires that like the be placed in this place, Garth continues into the corridor without the pit. (assume 10 at listen and search while walking, pole still poking around..)

Tanaric
2009-11-11, 11:53 AM
Coming to the south bend of the well hall, you see that it continues south for thirty feet before teeing to the east and west. You realize that you can see the other side of the pit, now.

Twenty feet down the hall you're in, there is a west-running hall connected to yours.

Sliver
2009-11-11, 11:59 AM
Uhh.. Mind giving me a map update please?:smallredface:

So the pit is at the southern most corridor right? with me starting at the north-east of w/e in the middle behind the wall, with the corridor going around it? I approach the pit and examine the corridor then. If I don't find anything of interest, I go down the corridor going west..

Tanaric
2009-11-11, 12:05 PM
http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/6375/silveryk.jpg

Before your last actions, you were at the northwest corner of the loop in the bottom right of the map. Does that update change what you wanted to do?

Sliver
2009-11-11, 12:49 PM
I will reach the end of the corridor and go west.

(darn it.. I was looking for mail.. didn't expect for an edit..)

Tanaric
2009-11-11, 01:26 PM
Clarification: Are you heading down the first west turn or the second?

Sliver
2009-11-11, 01:28 PM
Second.

Ohh white text!

Tanaric
2009-11-11, 01:29 PM
You find a tripwire ten feet south of the bend you're at. Assuming you step over it:

As you pass the first west-running hall, you see that it continues for twenty feet before turning north.

At the second, you see that it continues for thirty feet before turning north.

Sliver
2009-11-11, 01:37 PM
So with quick calculation Garth could assume that the first corridor could possible connect to both rooms where he just was and started in, right?

He will continue down the second corridor and turn north. (same routine)

Tanaric
2009-11-11, 01:41 PM
You could indeed assume so, but without seeing the hall yourself, it's impossible to tell exactly where it leads.

Fifteen feet down the hall, you step on a pressure plate.

[roll0]

One moment.

Tanaric
2009-11-11, 01:42 PM
Three small darts shoot out of the walls, attempting to use you as a dartboard.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

Sliver
2009-11-11, 01:45 PM
I guess that 17 search doesn't really help me.. And it brings me to -2.. I could roll a bunch of rolls to see when I get stable but it would take me a bunch of days to heal back up and I will probably die or something in that time.. Or get mugged..

Tanaric
2009-11-11, 01:50 PM
DC 21 to notice, actually. The tripwires are DC 20.

They're stock CR 1 traps, too, except I made the darts do less damage. Bah humbug. :smallsigh:

Sliver
2009-11-11, 01:54 PM
Taking 20 or rolling for every square wouldn't be reasonable I guess.. So what do we do?

Tanaric
2009-11-11, 01:55 PM
Buy a dog to walk in front of you? :smalltongue:

Or buy a couple 40lb sacks of flour and chuck them down the halls.

Sliver
2009-11-11, 01:58 PM
How much does flour cost per pound? Hmm.. So that means I should start working on a new character?

Tanaric
2009-11-11, 01:59 PM
You can restart with a new character or the same one. It's up to you. You'll get a new map roll either way.

Sliver
2009-11-11, 02:02 PM
I will try something else then.. A factotum\barbarian maybe? I will PM you when I am done.. Today or tomorrow will see..

And how much for that flour?:smallcool:

Tanaric
2009-11-11, 02:05 PM
According to the PHB, flour is 2 cp/pound.

Sliver
2009-11-11, 02:08 PM
Did you try to rip me off or something? I can save 4 sp if I buy 40 pounds of wheat instead.. *wonders how much chickens weight and if it would save him money*

Yeah well.. later..

Tanaric
2009-11-11, 02:11 PM
I didn't even notice the listing for wheat right next to flour. Huh.

Well, flour is multipurpose. It reveals invisible things. :smalltongue:

Sliver
2009-11-11, 02:13 PM
That is why I have had flour pouches :smallbiggrin: