PDA

View Full Version : Neverending Dungeon - Wulnis

Tanaric
2009-11-08, 09:08 PM
The air surrounding you fairly hums with the residue of magic, an aftereffect of the spell that brought you to this place. A quick glance reveals that you are in a cramped, rectangular room, devoid of any life save for yourself. The sound of dripping water can be heard faintly, and the stone walls are slick with moisture. In complete defiance of logic, a torch is already lit, resting in a bracket by the sole door visible in the room.

Map:{table]|A_|B_|C_|D_
1|||||
2||W|||
[/table]

There is a door at A-1.

DM notes:2, 10, 4

Jair Barik
2009-11-09, 05:31 AM
Taking a piece of chalk Wulnis draws the seal of Amon, the void before the altar on the floor and summons a firey creature part wolf, part lion part snake that curses as it forms in the circle. He then proceeds to bargain with the creature.
(2 minutes +1 full round action to bind the vestife inform me if anything would interrupt this. DC 20 binder check to make good pact, [roll0], granted abilities=darkvision 60, fire breath and rams horns)

Tanaric
2009-11-09, 01:11 PM
Nothing special happens during your pact-making.

Jair Barik
2009-11-09, 01:35 PM
Having made a poor pact Wulnis walks over to the door, takes out his sword and flings it open ready to attack anything on the other side.

Tanaric
2009-11-09, 02:16 PM
As you lay your hand on the door, several hundred lines of crackling blue energy appear, surrounding the door and much of the adjacent wall in a spiderweb pattern. The energy leaps from the door to your hand, giving you quite a shock.

The previously hidden copper wires are now visible as thin black marks on the door, which they have charred quite thoroughly.

You take 1 electric damage.

Jair Barik
2009-11-09, 05:21 PM
"So its going to be like that then is it?"
I attemp to open the door again.

Tanaric
2009-11-09, 05:23 PM
The door opens with no further issues, revealing an unlit corridor running north and south. Your darkvision reveals that the corridor goes north for ten feet before turning east, and south for forty feet before turning east.

Jair Barik
2009-11-09, 06:38 PM
I head north and then peer around the corner.

Tanaric
2009-11-09, 06:43 PM
You trip over a tripwire five feet north of the door you just left. The sound of stone grinding on stone can be heard for perhaps a minute before fading away.

If you continue north:Upon reaching the eastern bend, you see that it extends another 30 feet east before turning south. There is a short hallway (5 ft long) 10 feet away from the bend you're at. There is a metal door at the end of the short hallway.

Jair Barik
2009-11-10, 03:20 AM
I carefully search the hallway (take 20 for an overall 20) as I progress down it in order to make sure there are no further trip wires or booby traps. continue to the door and check this also assuming I find no traps impeding my progress.

Tanaric
2009-11-10, 02:53 PM
You find no other traps until you reach the doorway, where you find another tripwire.

Jair Barik
2009-11-10, 06:27 PM
Standing back from the door Wulnis breathes flames at the trip wire to try and severe it. he will stand 5ft back from the door.

Tanaric
2009-11-10, 09:26 PM
The wire melts without issue, and you turn the metal door black. Nothing else happens.

Jair Barik
2009-11-11, 03:39 AM
I check the door to see if its traps are still working (take 20) then open the door.

Tanaric
2009-11-11, 11:48 AM
The tripwire is completely gone.

Opening the door reveals the following room:{table]|A_|B_|C_|D_|E_|F_|G_
1|||||||
2|||||1||
3|||||||
4|||||||
5|||||||
6|2|||3|||
7|||||||
[/table]

There is a door at B-7 which you are standing just outside of, another at A-5, and a third at G-4.

There are three elves in the room. Two (2,3) are holding longswords, while the third (1) is holding a longbow. They look wary.

Jair Barik
2009-11-11, 11:58 AM
I quickly close the door on them and then listen carefully to see what they are doing [roll0]

Tanaric
2009-11-11, 12:00 PM
You don't hear anything.

Jair Barik
2009-11-11, 12:43 PM
Wulnis wanders back down the passage and searches the southern passage for traps up to its intersection. (taking 20)

Tanaric
2009-11-11, 01:23 PM
You find another tripwire five feet south of the door to your starting room.

Jair Barik
2009-11-11, 05:53 PM
Standing back from it Ulrik breathes flames to cut the wire.

Tanaric
2009-11-12, 01:21 PM
It melts too.

You find nothing else on the way to the bend. Upon reaching it, you see that the hall continues to the east for forty feet before turning south. There is a door on the north side of the hall, twenty feet from the bend you're at.

Jair Barik
2009-11-12, 02:41 PM
I continue down to the door checking for traps as I go (take 20) if I find another trip wire I toast it but anything else I will examine before acting upon. When I reach the door I will also check that for traps and if it is safe will open it.

Jair Barik
2009-11-12, 05:14 PM
bump. can i get an update before I have to go offline perhaps?

Tanaric
2009-11-12, 05:23 PM
The door has a web of wires on it similar to the ones you found in the first room.

Jair Barik
2009-11-12, 05:25 PM
Wulnis breathes flames upon the door then waits half a minute and flings it open with his shield and sword at the ready.

Tanaric
2009-11-12, 05:27 PM
The room is blanketed in shadows your darkvision cannot penetrate properly. Spot check.

Jair Barik
2009-11-12, 05:29 PM
[roll0]
Regardless of what he sees Wulnis retreats 5ft back down the corridor to get away from whatevers in the dark.

Tanaric
2009-11-13, 03:50 PM
You saw nothing but shadows. You hear chittering from inside the room, though.

Jair Barik
2009-11-13, 04:07 PM
I move back another 5ft and call out "Come out and get me. Cheep, cheep, cheep, cheep, hear the little bird monster?"

Ready an action to flame anything that comes out of the door.

Tanaric
2009-11-13, 04:09 PM
Nothing is forthcoming. You continue to hear chittering from inside the room.

Jair Barik
2009-11-13, 04:11 PM
I move to the door adopting a total defense. I ready an action to attack anything that comes in reach of my sword.

Tanaric
2009-11-13, 04:16 PM
Nada. You still hear the chittering, though.

It sounds faintly like mocking laughter. It sounds like normal animal noise.

Jair Barik
2009-11-13, 04:18 PM
I advance 5ftt into the room keeping my total defense up, readying an action to attack anything that comes near me. Look around the room continuously trying to spot anything with my dark vision if possible despite it not seeming to work.

Tanaric
2009-11-13, 04:21 PM
Fort save.

Jair Barik
2009-11-13, 04:21 PM
Why does this not surprise me :smallfrown:
[roll0]

Tanaric
2009-11-13, 04:26 PM
Nothing happens.

I just realized that I forgot to give you a map of the room, too.

{table]|A_|B_|C_
1|||
2|||
3|||
4|||
5|||W

[/table]

There is a door at C-5, south side, which you just came through.

You see nothing. You still hear chittering. A listen check may be able to narrow it down further.

Jair Barik
2009-11-13, 04:34 PM
[roll0]
Wulnis strains his ears to hear where the ound is coming from.
(Previously you said the room was too dark to see, also do I have any idea why I just made a fort save eg sudden pricks of pain?)

Tanaric
2009-11-13, 04:37 PM
It felt cold.

You stick your fingers in your ears and hum loudly. (Nice listen check. :smalltongue:)

Nothing else happens.

Edit: And I actually said that there were shadows that your darkvision didn't penetrate, a la the Darkness spell. The whole room is shadowy illumination.

Jair Barik
2009-11-13, 04:38 PM
I move to A1 keeping up a total defense and prepared to attack anything that gets too close,

Jair Barik
2009-11-13, 05:45 PM
Scratch that, i move within 10ft of the nearest oatch of unseeable darkness and fire breathe it [roll0] damage (reflex save halves, line area DC 15

Tanaric
2009-11-13, 05:49 PM
The whole room is shadowy darkness. Do you want me to roll randomly for where you breathe?

Jair Barik
2009-11-13, 05:54 PM
Misread what you had said, roll randomly once then if nothing comes of it I'll proceed to move to the other corner of the room as previously stated.

Tanaric
2009-11-13, 05:58 PM
[roll0] Whitetext.

You breathe on the wall at B-5. Nothing happens.

You continue to hear chittering as you make your way to the corner. Listen check to narrow it down again.

Jair Barik
2009-11-13, 06:04 PM
[roll0]
Also concentrate on looking for it with a spot check [roll1]

Tanaric
2009-11-13, 06:10 PM
The chittering seems to be coming from the back wall, near where you're standing. Can't make out any more than that, though.

Jair Barik
2009-11-13, 06:13 PM
I turn in that direction, wait till my breath is ready again and breath flames in the direction of the chittering. [roll0]

Tanaric
2009-11-13, 06:15 PM
You couldn't tell a direction or height. Want a random roll again?

Jair Barik
2009-11-13, 06:19 PM
aim at the ceiling of that area

Tanaric
2009-11-13, 06:25 PM
A toasted form falls at your feet, twitching. It seems to be a squirrel, except that its fur is pitch black and its eyes are a malevolent red.

The chittering stops a moment later.

Jair Barik
2009-11-13, 06:26 PM
"Well that was.... weird"

loot the squirrel and take 20 on searching the room one tile at a time walls and all. Is the darkness gone?

Tanaric
2009-11-13, 06:29 PM
Nope, it's still there. About six seconds into your first search, you feel the chill again.

Two more fort saves.

For the record, if I don't give you an xp and loot list, it's probably a good indication that the encounter isn't over. :smallwink:

Jair Barik
2009-11-13, 06:34 PM
[roll0]
[roll1]

I turn on the detect evil vision and sweep the room upon the first sign of an evil presence I wait for my breath to recharge and flame it [roll2]
then repeat process [roll3] as amny times as is necessary
[roll4][roll5][roll6]

If something poses a more obvious threat though i will obviously alter this course of action to accomodate intiative order.

Tanaric
2009-11-14, 04:50 PM
You see a faint aura of evil around the squirrel that fell off the wall into your square.

My interpretation of Detect Evil and Detect Magic requires that you are actually able to see the creature, else they would be better than See Invisibility. Does that change anything?

Jair Barik
2009-11-14, 04:59 PM
OOC: By focusing one detecting evil for 3 rounds I can discern all the vil presences, their directions but not their exact locations regardless of if I can see them

3rd Round

The power and location of each aura. If an aura is outside your line of sight, then you discern its direction but not its exact location.

so It lets me target things with Area of effect attacks if I spend 3 rounds focusing but grants no advantage against things such as invisibility concealment. Won't flame the squirrel, any other evil auras?

Tanaric
2009-11-14, 05:02 PM
Two, five feet above your head and to the east, one five feet that direction, the other ten.

Douglas
2009-11-14, 05:03 PM
My interpretation of Detect Evil and Detect Magic requires that you are actually able to see the creature, else they would be better than See Invisibility. Does that change anything?
Er, no they would not be better than See Invisibility, and that would most definitely be a house rule. RAW is quite clear that you only need line of effect, and even for that some barriers can be ignored.

See Invisibility: "Oh yeah, there's an invisible guy over there. I'll attack him now."
Detect Magic: "There is magic somewhere in this 60' cone. Let me spend an entire round doing nothing but standing here and concentrating... Ok, there's one aura and it's Faint. Let me spend another round concentrating... Ok it's an illusion and it's in that square. Unlike with See Invisibility it still has total concealment, and if I actually do something to attack it I'll have stopped concentrating on the spell so if it moves I'll have to spend two more rounds just to find it again - three and an extra 0 level spell slot if I didn't have it Persistent. Oh, and if he ever moves out of that 60' cone I'll have to start all over."

Tanaric
2009-11-14, 05:13 PM
That'll teach me not to say things in a hurry anymore. Crazy me, thinking I could get away with an offhand remark hidden somewhere in my thirty-five subscribed threads.

I know they're not "better" than see invisibility, but detect magic is a cantrip, and a cantrip is not going to pierce invisibility's main advantage in my book. So yes, that'll be my first houserule. I've officially broken RAW now, and expect to be tarred and feathered. To see an object's aura with DM, you have to see said object.

Jair Barik
2009-11-14, 05:15 PM
Lining the two auras up Wulnis attempts to his both with one fell breathe (10ft line, if I can only hit one due to angles will take the nearest)
[roll0]

Douglas
2009-11-14, 05:21 PM
I know they're not "better" than see invisibility, but detect magic is a cantrip, and a cantrip is not going to pierce invisibility's main advantage in my book. So yes, that'll be my first houserule. I've officially broken RAW now, and expect to be tarred and feathered. To see an object's aura with DM, you have to see said object.
"Pierce Invisibility's main advantage"? I'd hardly count the sequence I outlined as doing that. Seriously, spending two or three rounds just to narrow it down to one square, all while your opponent is free to do whatever he likes, including attacking from range or forcing you to start over by moving out of your chosen cone, is an absolutely atrocious last resort of a near helpless character. If you're going to ban stuff for being broken, this should be so far down the list of broken stuff you'd have to search the index to find it. You have already allowed quite a bit of stuff that is vastly more overpowered and broken than Detect Magic ignoring Invisibility.

If you're worried about hiding magical objects instead, use Magic Aura (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/magicAura.htm), not Invisibility.

Tanaric
2009-11-14, 05:33 PM
I am aware of the existence of NMA, douglas. Thank you. I am also aware that the Arena rules currently allow Pun Pun. I dare anyone to say Pazuzu three times. I used them as a base for level 1 character creation, not something set in stone, unable to be changed. If people are actually silly enough to try bringing any form of TO into this game, it'll be smacked with the banhammer faster than you can say "hahaha-no."

My RAW-defying houserule stands, however. Apparently I just hate cantrips.

Jair Barik
2009-11-14, 05:39 PM
Ummm not to be rude or anything but could this argument continue in the recruitment thread if anywhere instead of slowing my dungeon run down?

Tanaric
2009-11-14, 07:34 PM
Two more torched forms fall off the walls, twitching.

Jair Barik
2009-11-15, 03:41 AM
I concentrate on detect evil scanning each portion of the room individually. When I am sure no evil remains I shall search each section of the room (taking 20) for traps, secret doors and loot or anything else of interest.

Jair Barik
2009-11-15, 04:38 PM
If there are no other evil presences Wulnis puts each of the squirrels to the sword before continuing his search (coup de grace)

Tanaric
2009-11-15, 07:56 PM
The squirrels were the only evil presence.

150 xp, and you find what appears to be an orb of solid shadows in a corner of the room.

Jair Barik
2009-11-16, 05:15 AM
I breathe flames upon the orb and if nothing happens I pick it up and feel it to see if there is a means of deactivating its magic.

Tanaric
2009-11-17, 08:17 PM
[roll0] Whitetext.

Nothing happens when you breathe flames on the orb.

What methods do you have of determining magical properties?

Jair Barik
2009-11-18, 03:21 AM
I poke it prod it, hit it on the floor... If that doesn't do anything I place it in my bag to see if that stops the shadows, if that doesn't work I leave it here then continue down the passage headed east checking for traps (take 20) till I reach the turning. If it does work I do the same.

Tanaric
2009-11-18, 07:42 PM
All you manage to do is look like you're playing with a marble.

Putting it in your pouch doesn't do anything about the shadows.

You find nothing to the east. At the bend, the hall continues south for ten feet before teeing to the east and west.

Jair Barik
2009-11-19, 03:57 AM
Repeat the process searching down to the T

Tanaric
2009-11-19, 06:30 PM
Nothing of note.

The hall runs west for forty feet before turning south. There is a door on the south side of the hall thirty feet down.

It runs east for fifty feet before turning north.

Jair Barik
2009-11-20, 05:20 AM
I repeat my method of travelling the hallways down to the door and then search the door. I flame any wires I come across and then (assuming the door doesn't appear to be trapped) open the door.

Tanaric
2009-11-20, 06:07 PM
No wires.

Opening the door reveals the following room:{table]|A_|B_|C_|D_|E_|F_
1||||||
2||||||
3||||1||
4||||||[/table]

There is a door at A-1, north side, which you are just outside of. There is a seemingly human man standing in the room, wearing chainmail, a red silk headband, a silver chain around his wrist, and something that seems a holy symbol. He is holding a spiked chain.

Roll initiative.

[roll0]

Jair Barik
2009-11-21, 02:55 AM
[roll0]

Hmmmm

Jair Barik
2009-11-21, 02:59 AM
I'm going to assume you follow the rules in that he is currently flat footed and thus cannot perform attacks of opportunity. Based on this assumption I charge him with my horn attack.

to hit-[roll0] damage-[roll1] extra damage for charging [roll2]

Tanaric
2009-11-21, 03:02 AM
Except for the part where he has Combat Reflexes, yes, I do.

He makes a trip attempt for his AoO. Attack vs touch: [roll0]

That misses, so he explodes for you.

150 xp and the listed loot.

Jair Barik
2009-11-21, 03:19 AM
"Yay loot"
dadadadadadaaaaaaa!!! You found the spiked chain

Taking the loot Wulnis performs a thorough search of the room and its walls (take 20) then assuming he finds nothing continues his search starategy back down to the end of the passage headed west.

(what should I list the wrist chain and bandanna as, what are their weights?)

Tanaric
2009-11-21, 03:22 AM
Negligible.

Jair Barik
2009-11-21, 03:30 AM
In that case I still search the room then search the passage.

Tanaric
2009-11-21, 01:26 PM
The wall in the southeast corner, east side, looks a little odd to you.

Jair Barik
2009-11-21, 02:18 PM
I perform a thorough search of the section, attempting to feel through it, locate any hand holds or secret levers, if the wall is solid I push on it to see if it will pass inwards, if it isnt I dangle the spiked chain through it and see if theres floor on the other side, then ready my sword and walk through.

Tanaric
2009-11-22, 08:27 PM
The wall crumbles at your touch, revealing a hall that runs to the east and south. To the east, it runs for twenty feet before turning north. To the south, it runs for ten feet before teeing to the east and west.

Jair Barik
2009-11-23, 07:17 AM
I perform my search routine down the passage heading east and look around the corner. If there is nothing of note I continue with my search routine down the passage.

Tanaric
2009-11-24, 10:39 AM
The hall continues north for ten feet, then east again for twenty feet before turning south. You find a pressure plate in the corner.

Jair Barik
2009-11-24, 12:42 PM
I attempt to step around the pressure plate so as to avoid triggering it. If that isn't possible then I lie flat on the ground a press down on it with my sword.

Tanaric
2009-11-24, 12:48 PM
You're going to push on a pressure plate? :smallconfused: Okay...

[roll0]

Tanaric
2009-11-24, 12:50 PM
Three darts shoot out of the wall, catching you flatfooted.

Dart 1 vs flatfooted prone AC: [roll0] for [roll1]
Dart 2 vs flatfooted prone AC: [roll2] for [roll3]
Dart 4 vs flatfooted prone AC: [roll4] for [roll5]

Jair Barik
2009-11-24, 12:58 PM
OOC: Actually I said I would if stepping round the pressure plate was impossible.

Also would the darts hit me as I was laying flat on the ground and wasn't standing on the tile?

Tanaric
2009-11-24, 12:59 PM
The entire square is the plate. It is thus impossible to step around it, so I did as you requested.

The darts target extends to the square you're in, yes. You get a +4 bonus against ranged attacks for being prone.

Jair Barik
2009-11-24, 01:01 PM
1 dart hits then.

Okay then

Did I see where the darts came from e.g. holes in the wall?

Tanaric
2009-11-24, 01:02 PM
Holes in the wall of the corner square.

Jair Barik
2009-11-24, 01:03 PM
What sorts of heights/ frequency? Would I be able to avoid them by hugging to the wall for example?

Tanaric
2009-11-24, 01:04 PM
D&D mechanics don't work like that. :smalltongue: If you're in a square they can target, you'll be shot when the trap triggers.

Jair Barik
2009-11-24, 01:12 PM
How far back did the darts fire? Some of them must have missed me if its possible for them to hit me regardless of where I am standing so I should be able to determine their range.

Tanaric
2009-11-24, 01:15 PM
It's a dart trap. It targets adjacent squares.

If you want to go recover the darts that missed, then... [roll0] [roll1] both broke.

Jair Barik
2009-11-24, 06:24 PM
I move back another 5ft (out of the traps range) and throw the dead mans Spiked chain onto the pressure plate.

Tanaric
2009-11-24, 06:26 PM
How much does a spiked chain weigh, again?

SRD to the rescue. Nothing happens.

Jair Barik
2009-11-24, 06:37 PM
I throw the chainmail onto the pressure plate from my position of safety.

(I will defeat this trap!)

Tanaric
2009-11-24, 06:39 PM
The pressure plate depresses again. Nothing happens.

Jair Barik
2009-11-24, 06:43 PM
I walk over to the pressure plate, pick up my gear and continue down the passage using my search method.

(I had a feeling the trap was expended but wanted to check first)

Tanaric
2009-11-25, 11:44 AM
Continuing past the trapped corner brings you south for twenty feet before you turn west. The hall runs beyond the range of your darkvision. After forty feet, it turns north.

Jair Barik
2009-11-25, 05:30 PM
Hmmm so the corridor just loops then? I continue straight on down the corridor using my search strategy. Assuming no doors (secret or otherwise) or junctions and that in about 80ft or so the tunnel turns right I will keep following it and mae my way up to the door to the dead cleric room (if I find something else stop me where I find it). Then I will continue down (still searching) till I reach the northward branch at the end of the tunnel.

Tanaric
2009-11-25, 08:10 PM
It's pretty much a big loop, yeah. The hall turns north after eighty feet like you thought, then east after thirty, bringing you back out into the east-west hall of the split south of the squirrel room (just keeping everyone on the same page here).

You go alllllll the way east to the end of that hall, and see that it continues north beyond sight. After forty feet, it splits east. After fifty feet, it splits west.

Jair Barik
2009-11-26, 03:37 AM
I continue up the passage using my search method until I reach the first intersection. If it is a door I then continue to the next one. If that is also a door I then continue further down the passage.

Jair Barik
2009-11-28, 12:45 PM
bump
just making sure you don't forget me

Tanaric
2009-11-29, 04:36 PM
Didn't forget. I was away for Thanksgiving and unable to post any updates.

The first split goes east for twenty feet before turning north. Did you want to take it or go to the next one?

Jair Barik
2009-11-30, 06:55 AM
I'll head east continuing my search method and then turn north continuing my search method.

Tanaric
2009-11-30, 03:01 PM
It goes north for ten feet, east for ten feet, then south for fifty feet before turning west. There is a door on the east face of the south-running hall, five feet down.

Jair Barik
2009-11-30, 03:34 PM
I check the door for traps, if there are no traps I open it.

Tanaric
2009-11-30, 07:34 PM
Opening the door reveals the following room:{table]A_|B_|C_|D_
1|R|R|H|
2|R|R||
3||||
4||||[/table]

There is a door at A-4, west side, which you are just outside of, and another at D-4, south side.

There is a humanoid figure at C-1, wearing a chain shirt and holding a longsword. He is standing next to what seems to be a large reptile with bright green scales and a forked tongue that flickers in and out of its gaping maw. Both of them turn to look at you, the man's face twisting in outrage.

Jair Barik
2009-12-01, 03:59 AM
I charge the man with my horn attack (I realise the Lizard gets an AoO but ah well)

[roll0] [roll1] extra charge damage [roll2]

(If I need initiative... [roll3])

EDIT:On second thought theres no way I can charge at that angle is there? So instead I'll move to the bottom right corner of the room (If I have a surprise action that is)

Tanaric
2009-12-01, 07:41 PM
You have very few surprise rounds. I'll tell you when you get them.

Init: [roll][1d20 Rerolled on desk, 17.

The reptile moves to block the doorway, while the man takes a step to C-1.

Jair Barik
2009-12-02, 03:41 AM
I step out into the passage and move north one square ( I am the otherside of the wall from B3) I then ready an action to sword attack the next person to walk through the door.

Tanaric
2009-12-02, 02:30 PM
Nobody comes out. You can still see the reptile in the doorway from your position.

Jair Barik
2009-12-02, 05:24 PM
I continue to wait with my readied action.

Tanaric
2009-12-03, 12:21 PM
Alrighty then.

The door slides shut.

Jair Barik
2009-12-03, 12:38 PM
I move into the square in front of the door and hit the door with my sword pommel.

Tanaric
2009-12-03, 12:50 PM
Clang.

Your abused weaponry thanks you. What next?

Jair Barik
2009-12-03, 02:39 PM
I continue down the passage with my search routine but listen out for the sound of the door opening behind me.

Tanaric
2009-12-04, 01:36 PM
You continue south for forty-five feet, then west for ten feet, then north for thirty feet, then west for ten feet, then south for forty feet before your next choice. There is a door on the south face of the bend in front of you, or else the hall continues east for twenty-five feet before ending in another door, splitting south after ten feet.

Jair Barik
2009-12-05, 11:28 AM
Search on the south facing door and then open it if its not trapped.

Tanaric
2009-12-06, 09:54 PM
Opening the door reveals the following room:{table]|A_|B_
1||
2||
3||
4||
5||
6||x[/table]

There is a door at B-1, north side, which you are just outside of.

There is an elaborately gilded, gem-studded chest in the lower right corner or the room.

Jair Barik
2009-12-07, 05:28 PM
*sarcasm*I rush towards it and open it with reckless abadon!*endsarcasam*

I actually carefully advance checking every single square for traps (take 20) and then check the chest and the square its on (take 20) for traps, poisons, monsters etc.

Tanaric
2009-12-07, 09:10 PM
There's a tripwire on every square between you and the chest. The chest looks completely normal to you.

Jair Barik
2009-12-08, 03:52 AM
I stand back out in the door way and throw the spiked chain at the first trip wire (I am just over 10 ft back from the wire)

Tanaric
2009-12-08, 07:24 PM
Ookay... Roll vs AC 5 with an improvised weapon penalty for throwing a club, let's say.

Jair Barik
2009-12-09, 03:52 AM
[roll0]
(add any modifiers to thats)

Tanaric
2009-12-09, 08:06 PM
[roll0]Whitetext.

Your chain hits the wall to the southeast of your intended square, then slides into the square south of your target. It snaps a tripwire when it lands, and a dart flies out of one of the walls and strikes that square.

Jair Barik
2009-12-10, 03:49 AM
I retrieve the chain being careful not to trigger any of the wires. I then proceed to disarm all of the other trip wires in a similar manner, throwing the chain at them from a distance whilst making sure I remain at least 10 ft away from the intended wire.

Tanaric
2009-12-10, 10:06 PM
Okay. You clear a path south to the chest. What next?

Jair Barik
2009-12-11, 05:00 AM
I use the same method to clear every single trip wire in the room, then I search the chest (not open it mind you) for traps and such like.

Tanaric
2009-12-12, 01:41 PM
When you fling your spiked chain onto the square west of the chest after clearing all the other squares, it hits something solid and falls into the square north of where you intended.

How are you going about your search of the chest?

Jair Barik
2009-12-13, 04:32 PM
Before I go to search the chest I first check the "invisible" object. First I breathe fire at it and then search the object by touch. If nothing interesting happens i search the chest by breathing fire on it first and then by looking it over without touching it. After taking 20 on that search check I open it from behind (unless its trapped or anything)

Tanaric
2009-12-14, 04:15 PM
You're... breathing fire on the invisible, chestlike object?

Just making sure I have that right.

Jair Barik
2009-12-16, 05:00 AM
From a safe distance of course.

Tanaric
2009-12-17, 11:33 PM
Fire damage: [roll0]

Something's burning in the square.

Jair Barik
2009-12-18, 03:27 AM
I have a look to see if I can tell what it is thats burning. I then throw water over it.