PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Canadians - Questions for you all

Beleriphon
2009-11-08, 10:05 PM
So I have some questions for all of you, as part of a college poli-sci course I need to find out what international posters think of

What do Americans think of Canadians?

What is a Canadian?

No, lets be clear about that second question. I want to know what you think makes somebody Canadian, beyond the fact that they live in Canada.

Sneak
2009-11-08, 10:14 PM
From empirical data, I have gathered that Canadians are all beautiful people.

I have also gathered that they do in fact say "eh?" a lot.

And they're all Asian.

Hmm. I think something's up with my empirical data. :smalltongue:

Seriously, though, I do believe that Canadians are a beautiful people. And they're pretty nice in general.

Catch
2009-11-08, 10:20 PM
Americans generally think of Canadians as our backward Northern neighbors, but they're sort of intangible. We know about the health care, nothing about their Parliament, and assume everything is just trees and moose, and that there's some hockey going on somewhere.

It's basically all stereotypes until you actually visit, and then there's just fewer moose and more Walmarts than you imagined.

Roland St. Jude
2009-11-08, 10:24 PM
Sheriff of Moddingham: I'm going to take one stab at nudging the thread in a non-political and non-insulting direction. While it may skew the OP's poli-sci project results, I don't think anyone really wants to pick up infractions in the name of (social) science.

Flickerdart
2009-11-08, 10:29 PM
I don't like Canadians. Every single time I have to stand in a line, it's because of Canadians crowding around. Can't get seating on the bus? Canadians took all the seats. Someone bought the last pack of Sour Cream & Onion chips? Chances are, it was a Canadian. These Canadians are taking all our jobs, too!

:smallbiggrin:

Alteran
2009-11-08, 10:36 PM
I'm aware that this is a question for Americans, but I feel like I need to comment on something here. I'm also aware that this is all based on personal observations and nothing more, but I'm just going to contrast them with my own, as a Canadian. I have selected Sneak to be my lucky winner! Ding ding ding! Maybe this will be educational, or maybe it'll just satisfy my need to participate in this discussion about Canadians. Who knows?

I am not going to refute this, for totally unbiased reasons. :smallsmile:

I obviously can't say your observations are wrong, but they are very different from mine. I have lived in Canada (Toronto) for my entire life, and I must have conversed with thousands of Canadians over the years. I have never met a single one who's done that. At least If I have, they didn't make it noticeable in their conversations with me. Seriously, never. I wonder if all of the eh-ing Canadians just live in other parts of the country?

And they're all Asian.

Like I said, I live in Toronto. This is basically true. :smalltongue:

In reality, something like 30% of Torontonians are Asian. Considering that we are not in Asia, that's a lot.

I contributed in a tangentially useful way, huzzah!

xPANCAKEx
2009-11-08, 10:37 PM
taking all our jobs, too!

der tuk uh jeeeeeerb

http://kevinfamous.com/Videos/they%20took%20er%20jobs.jpg

they also have only 1 road

and the mountie rides a sheep

THANK YOU SOUTHPARK! so educational :D

Flickerdart
2009-11-08, 10:47 PM
In reality, something like 30% of Torontonians are Asian. Considering that we are not in Asia, that's a lot!
Heh, I remember my friend trying to convince me that Toronto is 50% Chinese people, and it took some impressive statistic spelunking before she was convinced that number was considerably smaller.

Don Julio Anejo
2009-11-08, 10:52 PM

And they're all Asian.

Seriously, though, I do believe that Canadians are a beautiful people. And they're pretty nice in general.
As a Canadian, I have to say all of the above is true. I am also quite beautiful :smallamused:

Funny, eh?

DraPrime
2009-11-08, 10:58 PM
As an American, I think that Canadians are people who live in the nation of Canada, a country that primarily serves as America's hat.

GallóglachMaxim
2009-11-08, 11:00 PM
Scared of the dark and have fun sports like throwing pots of boiling water out the window when it's -40 degrees outside, also they've got mooses (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIrmPEyt0Nc).

To sum up, I'm not sure I've ever met a Canadian, so all my information is second-hand and highly suspect.

BRC
2009-11-08, 11:00 PM
The Canadians secretly rule the world, that's why they are so happy. We would reveal it, but we would get crushed by their legions of War Moose.

Helanna
2009-11-08, 11:24 PM
Hmmm . . . Canada, huh? Canada is just kind of . . . there. It's not really in any political spotlight, so you mention Canada and it's just like . . . "Yeah, it's Canada? So? Similar to where I live, but a few degrees colder?"

Although I will say this:

Canada: quietly granting equality and liberty to all groups regardless of sex, race, or sexual orientation while the "Land of the Free" is still fighting over who counts as human. :smallbiggrin:

It should be noted that I don't know much about equality in Canada, though, just that the "official" liberation/suffrage/what-have-you generally seems to come several years before America.

Edit: I did go to Canada once. We had great fun convincing my younger sister that air in Canada is lavender-scented, prompting the quote "*Gasp* I CAN SMELL IT!". Also one amusing time when we stopped at a gas station and my other sister whispered to her "Look! A Canadian!" Whereupon the younger one shouts out "A CANADIAN?! WHERE?!"

Ahahaha children. Such young corruptible minds.

DraPrime
2009-11-08, 11:28 PM
Stuff

*coughpoliticsarenotallowedtobementionedonthesefor umscough*

Sneak
2009-11-08, 11:30 PM
*coughpoliticsarenotallowedtobementionedonthesefor umscough*

Need a lozenge?

DraPrime
2009-11-08, 11:33 PM
Need a lozenge?

No no, I'm good. I managed to cough out the obstruction in my throat.

Don Julio Anejo
2009-11-08, 11:57 PM
Edit: I did go to Canada once. We had great fun convincing my younger sister that air in Canada is lavender-scented, prompting the quote "*Gasp* I CAN SMELL IT!".
Air smells like a plant all right... Just not like lavender... :smallwink:
Goes hand in hand with freedom and equality for everyone, even hippies!

phoenixineohp
2009-11-09, 12:05 AM
I had a Contemporary Canadian Art History class last year. Try defining contemporary, Canadian and/or Art and you will quickly learn one reason why the class was not that much fun. And my teacher had only been in Canada for 7 years. >.<

The definition of Canadian generally used:
Someone who IS NOT AMERICAN!*

You have to get the angry tone in the last three words, but that's pretty much it. 'Likes Tim Hortons' can also be added on. But generally that first batch will cover it. We are a multicultural society and yet, the one thing we all are not is AMERICAN. *emphasis for natural tonality*

And for the record, yes, I do say 'eh'. And yes, I say it a fair bit. It's like the French 'no?'

*I'm actually being totally serious. Even the instructional manual (http://www.amazon.com/How-Be-Canadian-Will-Ferguson/dp/1550548913) used that definition.

THAC0
2009-11-09, 12:25 AM
Canada is like Alaska, but not as awesome.

Also, they have strange heads that are split in half, and the top half bounces on the bottom half when they try to talk.

loopy
2009-11-09, 12:36 AM
Well, the only Canadians I've actually met are Jarett and Geoff from Pure Pwnage, but they bought me drinks for an entire evening, so that has won me over.

Its rather easy to buy my loyalty. :smallamused:

Alteran
2009-11-09, 12:40 AM
Its rather easy to buy my loyalty. :smallamused:

Good to know, good to know. *scribbles notes into his Minion Dossier*

Kneenibble
2009-11-09, 12:49 AM
I obviously can't say your observations are wrong, but they are very different from mine. I have lived in Canada (Toronto) for my entire life, and I must have conversed with thousands of Canadians over the years. I have never met a single one who's done that. At least If I have, they didn't make it noticeable in their conversations with me. Seriously, never. I wonder if all of the eh-ing Canadians just live in other parts of the country?

I mentioned my feelings about this in the "describe your country thread" and I'll gloss 'em again here -- in Manitoba at least, saying 'eh' goes along with a dumb-sounding blue collar accent, a rural and working class affectation. I find it really grating. Maybe it's the prairies' fault for that stereotype -- I mean, Franco-Manitoban French is a nightmare, so it wouldn't surprise me.

You have to get the angry tone in the last three words, but that's pretty much it. 'Likes Tim Hortons' can also be added on. But generally that first batch will cover it. We are a multicultural society and yet, the one thing we all are not is AMERICAN. *emphasis for natural tonality*

Myself, I prefer to append "Not As Fat." :smallwink:

Air smells like a plant all right... Just not like lavender... :smallwink:
Goes hand in hand with freedom and equality for everyone, even hippies!

:smallcool:
Far out, man.

chiasaur11
2009-11-09, 01:26 PM
From what I've seen, it's a fun enough place, but the regularity of fights to the death makes me kind of wary.

I mean, geeze. Did you see what happened to Lucas Lee?

MCerberus
2009-11-09, 01:33 PM
From what I've seen of Canadians, they're mostly like Americans. From my viewpoint though, they're more bent towards English customs than Americans are, and replace English with French in Quebec.

Telonius
2009-11-09, 01:40 PM
Canadians ...

They live right across the lake. Busloads of them come to our mall every year to avoid the sales tax on clothes.

When they say Zed, they're talking about a letter, not their cousin from out in the country.

Poutine. (Mmmmmm....)

Ice hockey.

Bilingual English/French (though the French tend to deny that what's spoken in Quebec counts as French).

The Extinguisher
2009-11-09, 01:48 PM
Canada isn't so much one place as it is a lot of places pretending to be one place (just like the States)

I happen to live in the Texas of Canada. And it's a lot different than Central Canada or the Maritimes. I think describing it as one country is a bad idea.

SurlySeraph
2009-11-09, 02:42 PM
As an American, my stereotype of Canadians is that they're pretty much like Americans except more polite, quieter, more wiling to compromise, less fanatical, and less assertive. The "less assertive" part is really the linchpin of it; Canadians are like Americans except reasonable.

Oh, and poutine, hockey, moose, beavers, and freezing cold, but those are cultural trappings, not the core of Canadianity.

Yora
2009-11-09, 02:50 PM
This is a european view, so it might not be useful for the thread creator, but:

The stereotype of canadians I know, is pretty much as if all of them are just like the "good americans". The ones with what americans call "liberal" views, who are cultured and civilized, critizise the gun and patriotism craze, stay informed about international events, and respect other cultures, and are overall very decent and well mannered guys.
We believe, that there are a number of US citizens, who fit this descriptions. And all canadians are exactly like them. The only difference is the passport. :smallbiggrin:

Mystic Muse
2009-11-09, 03:03 PM
:Homer:Canadians are from Canadia at least I THINK that was homer

Boo
2009-11-09, 03:06 PM

I have an American friend, and have met several Americans throughout my lifetime. The ones I have met do not think less of Canadians--they think of us as equals from what I could tell. My friend, on the other hand, constantly makes fun of Canadian... stuff. Just about everything Canadian. In return, I make fun of her country. It's a friendly bashing.

What is a Canadian?

A "Canadian" is someone who speaks with a Newfoundland accent, and says "EH" a lot while eating bacon with syrup, drinking beer, and watching hockey.

A Canadian is... a combination of Americans and British folk, but more social. And like poutine. You're not Canadian unless you like poutine (and have citizenship)... which I have to make at home since no one in my town knows how to make a proper poutine! They use NACHO CHEESE!! :smallfurious:

@ Extinguisher: Pretty much 13 countries in one.

Mythestopheles
2009-11-09, 03:12 PM
What is a Canadian?

A "Canadian" is someone who speaks with a Newfoundland accent, and says "EH" a lot while eating bacon with syrup, drinking beer, and watching hockey.

A Canadian is... a combination of Americans and British folk, but more social. And like poutine. You're not Canadian unless you like poutine (and have citizenship)... which I have to make at home since no one in my town knows how to make a proper poutine! They use NACHO CHEESE!!

It's kinda funny, I'm Canadian and yet almost none of these apply to me or other people I know. does that mean I'm not really Canadian?:smalleek:

Personally I pretty much think Canada is really just the result of a bunch of cultures being in the same area; they tend to be more accepting of each other (in my humble opinion).

Volos
2009-11-09, 03:44 PM
Canadians are awesome.

My ex was a Canadian, is that a qualification of what a Canadian is?

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2009-11-09, 03:59 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWQf13B8epw

Anyways, I do say 'eh' a lot, and I live in Toronto, so does that make me special?

Another difference from Americans: We have better beer. American beer started as lager. Canadian beer started as Ale. Canadian beer lightened to something closer to a lager. American beer lightened to something closer to watered down apple juice.

Green Bean
2009-11-09, 04:05 PM
Well, to be a Canadian, there are the traditional requirements. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRI-A3vakVg) Unless you're going to Quebec, in which case there's a different set (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lF3a-wtq65Q) of requirements.

More seriously, the biggest thing to know about the typical Canadian is that there is no typical Canadian. We're more of a mosaic as opposed to the American "Melting Pot". People are encouraged to maintain their cultural heritage after becoming citizens, celebrating diversity and yadda yadda yadda. Obviously, this is an ideal more than a fact, but it's our big distinguishing feature.

DraPrime
2009-11-09, 04:15 PM

Anyways, I do say 'eh' a lot, and I live in Toronto, so does that make me special?

Another difference from Americans: We have better beer. American beer started as lager. Canadian beer started as Ale. Canadian beer lightened to something closer to a lager. American beer lightened to something closer to watered down apple juice.

Well, that really depends. More mass-marketed beers like Budweiser are a big load of crap, but stuff made in smaller and more local breweries are quite excellent. Our only good mass made brand is Sam Adams, which is not only mass made, but Mass made, and that makes me a little proud.

LCR
2009-11-09, 06:12 PM
So, what's this thread aboot?

Faulty
2009-11-09, 06:31 PM
Unless you're going to Quebec, in which case there's a different set (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lF3a-wtq65Q) of requirements.

I live near Club Super Sexe.

Quebec people are really, really bad drivers.

CrimsonAngel
2009-11-09, 06:42 PM
The only Canadian I ever met did say eh. Alot. And she was very rude and hated children. Strange she worked in a school. She died from internal bleeding last year.

Sneak
2009-11-09, 06:50 PM

Yeah, the Canadians I know are all from Toronto (except for one, who's from Ottawa) and they all say "eh."

OBJECTION!

We've got Dogfish Head 60 and 90 minute pale ale!

Dracomorph
2009-11-09, 08:09 PM
There's an old saying that seems relevant, let's see...
Ah! That's right:
"Canada could have had it all: American technology, British culture, and French food. Instead, they've got American culture, British food, and French technology."

More seriously, Canada is that area north of the US, sans Alaska. Mostly, I'm given to understand, it's like the Midwest with funky accents and more liberal political views. Also, poutine, which is weird and gross-sounding and fascinating.

And, RE: beer; Here in the Saint Louis area, we have two significant microbreweries in addition to the Budweiser plant. The microbrews are fantastic, but you never hear about them elsewhere. I understand this to pretty much be the case across the US.

X2
2009-11-09, 08:28 PM
I don't remember where I saw it but there was a new report I found that read:

"The suspects were not suspicious, merely Canadian"

:smalleek::smallconfused::smallsmile:

The Vorpal Tribble
2009-11-09, 09:20 PM
I seriously have no opinion whatsoever on Canadians as a people. Dunno if I've even ever met a Canadian (despite knowing many Alaskans).

In general, from what I can tell of those in my area (the deep south)... y'all are just kind of there and no one gives it a thought for good or evil.

Irrelevant, irrelevant, irrelevant... :smallamused:

snoopy13a
2009-11-09, 09:42 PM
I had a Contemporary Canadian Art History class last year. Try defining contemporary, Canadian and/or Art and you will quickly learn one reason why the class was not that much fun. And my teacher had only been in Canada for 7 years. >.<

The definition of Canadian generally used:
Someone who IS NOT AMERICAN!*

And for the record, yes, I do say 'eh'. And yes, I say it a fair bit. It's like the French 'no?'

*I'm actually being totally serious. Even the instructional manual (http://www.amazon.com/How-Be-Canadian-Will-Ferguson/dp/1550548913) used that definition.

We like Tim Hortons in Buffalo :smalltongue:

Canada is pretty much America, only cleaner :smallsmile:

Seriously, compare the cleanliness of Toronto or Montreal with NYC.

Montreal is sort of like Europe in North America. Toronto and Ontario seems very similar to America. In upstate NY, we really don't consider Canada a foreign country*. Now we don't consider it America but we see it as not making a big difference.

* If you ask someone in upstate NY if they ever been to a foreign country, those who have never been to Europe or Mexico will say no. Then if you ask them if they've been to Canada, they'll say, oh yeah, didn't think of that.

Coidzor
2009-11-09, 10:05 PM
I thought Canadians were supposed to be less social and more reserved but more polite about being reserved than their New Englander counterparts across the border from them who aren't even reserved but rather don't notice or don't care about other peoples' presence save when they like or dislike or are simply annoyed by the others in question.

zeratul
2009-11-09, 10:12 PM

Canada is pretty much America, only cleaner :smallsmile:

Seriously, compare the cleanliness of Toronto or Montreal with NYC.

Montreal is sort of like Europe in North America. Toronto and Ontario seems very similar to America. In upstate NY, we really don't consider Canada a foreign country*. Now we don't consider it America but we see it as not making a big difference.

* If you ask someone in upstate NY if they ever been to a foreign country, those who have never been to Europe or Mexico will say no. Then if you ask them if they've been to Canada, they'll say, oh yeah, didn't think of that.

Woot, upstate New York! *high fives

Yeah going to Canada for people in this area is kind of commonplace. I've liked the Canadians I've met so I guess I have a rather positive opinion of them In a General sort of way. That waterfall we share with them is pretty cool.

SDF
2009-11-09, 10:54 PM
Well, legally my father is Canadian and I guess I like him well enough.

I spent most of my childhood staring at Canada from my back yard in Minnesota. (Sarah Palin eat your heart out!) About a third of my grade school class lived in Canada, and drove over every day. So, many of my friends are/were Canadian.

Canada is people, just like America is people. Depending on where you live in the US or Canada the cultures can be almost identical or totally different. Vancouver and Seattle may as well be the same city to me. Same goes for the midwest US and Ontario. I suppose Montreal and El Paso would be very different in a lot of ways, but so would Boise and El Paso.

DraPrime
2009-11-10, 04:11 PM
I thought Canadians were supposed to be less social and more reserved but more polite about being reserved than their New Englander counterparts across the border from them who aren't even reserved but rather don't notice or don't care about other peoples' presence save when they like or dislike or are simply annoyed by the others in question.

Comparing Canadians to New Englanders isn't fair. It's the rudest part of the USA is the rudest part. Besides, NE isn't the only place that borders with Canada.

KuReshtin
2009-11-10, 04:35 PM
Canadians are pretty decent at ice hockey, but needed to import Swedes to make their hockey league the best in the world.

Canadians are pretty cool, though. All the Canadians I've met are friendly and have a great sense of humour. After all, two of them are nick named "Moose" and "Caribou". :smallcool:

Faulty
2009-11-10, 04:58 PM

Tim Hortons in Buffalo have ice coffee but ones in Canada don't. :smalleek:

Alteran
2009-11-10, 05:19 PM
Tim Hortons in Buffalo have ice coffee but ones in Canada don't. :smalleek:

I've had iced coffee at several Tim Hortons in Toronto. They're pretty good, although I think I like the ice capps better.

Falgorn
2009-11-10, 06:22 PM
I remember my trip to Canada. It's all fun at Niagara Falls, everyone's nice!
But then you hit French Canada. I was insulted on multiple occasions by people speaking French. I knew it was an insult because of the expressive hand sign they gave me after they left. I don't think all Canadians are like this, and in no way am I trying to be insulting, but...those people...
:smalleek: One actually drove down the streets of Montreal with a bull horn and insulted me and my family. So..yeah.
And Canada has some geese. And some moose. And some crows.

Shadow_Elf
2009-11-10, 06:33 PM
The thing about "we don't say 'eh?' as much as you think" is mostly probably just an issue of "we hear it so often it doesn't register". Of course, as a devout Canadian, it doesn't register with me according to this theory, so I cannot prove it either way.

Alteran
2009-11-10, 06:58 PM
The thing about "we don't say 'eh?' as much as you think" is mostly probably just an issue of "we hear it so often it doesn't register". Of course, as a devout Canadian, it doesn't register with me according to this theory, so I cannot prove it either way.

I don't think that's it. This isn't something like "umm", or "like", that can be hastily and slyly slipped in between words. "Eh?" is meant to be engaging. It's like making a point with a question, it draws a listener in and makes them think about their own answers. The raising of your voice at the end makes it sound like a question (hence, question mark), and people tend to listen up when they hear a question. There's the automatic response of being prepared to answer, since if a question is asked there's a good chance something specific will be required in your response.

I consider it much more likely that it's simply a thing done by different groups of people, all of whom spread to to each other just by using it. I do find it interesting that it's apparently very common in some areas and nearly non-existent in others. Now I'm curious about if it would be possible to create a proper eh?-map of Canada, or if the groups of people who do or don't say it move too fluidly within the same areas.

DraPrime
2009-11-10, 07:02 PM
The funny thing is that I'm not Candian, but I say "eh?" a lot. I have been asked if I'm a Canadian a few times.

Moff Chumley
2009-11-10, 07:21 PM
Quebec people hurt my feelings regularly. I don't know if its on purpose or not. :smallfrown:

But the rest of them are kickass. Polite, usually willing to think, (something surprisingly hard for Americans) and very liberal. So, more or less, basically all of the San Fransisco stereotypes*, except more so.

*: Yes, including the foliage, as I believe has been mentioned. :smallwink:

Faulty
2009-11-10, 07:52 PM
I've had iced coffee at several Tim Hortons in Toronto. They're pretty good, although I think I like the ice capps better.

They don't have them in Montreal last I checked. Maybe they do now, I don't order coffee out anymore because I can't have cream/milk.

Lupy
2009-11-10, 08:18 PM
I don't know many Canadians, but here in the Southern US people tend to make fun of them in a friendly way. They're like a liberal, funny sounding hat. The exception is Quebec, who are held in much lower esteem than pretty much everyone who isn't actively shooting at US troops. We get a ton of Quebecois tourists down here, they go to Myrtle Beach mostly, and they yell at waiters in French knowing that they only speak English. In my experience they also have horrid children.

Of course, all of this is limited to a very small sample based on my annual trip to Myrtle Beach.

English Canadians tend to be viewed as slightly backwards pacifists.

Thes Hunter
2009-11-10, 08:20 PM
The people in Canada are the same as anywhere else. Some are awesome, some not so much.

Coidzor
2009-11-10, 08:38 PM
Quebec people hurt my feelings regularly. I don't know if its on purpose or not. :smallfrown:

<_< Aren't they the ones that are supposed to subsist off of tears and sub-standard wine?

If so, I think there might just be a strong component of that being on purpose...

I'm in a bit of shock myself right now, as I just learned that canadians think bacon is something that is made from pork loin, one of the few quality parts of the pig. :smallconfused:

phoenixineohp
2009-11-11, 12:23 AM
Scene: Midnight Son (American) is looking over the menu at the Harvey's in Toronto with Phoenixineohp (Canadian) ...
"You should get that. *points at special burger promo with Angus beef and Canadian Bacon* I know you'll like it. I'm vegetarian and still think it would be good."

He ends up getting it and loving it. Shortly after finishing...

Pxp "Well, how was it?"
MS "Very good. But I'm sad."
Pxp "Why?"
MS "Because my whole life I've been lied to."
Pxp "What?"
MS "They always said that bacon was bacon. But now I find out what bacon actually is! And it's gooooood."
:smalltongue:

Faulty
2009-11-11, 12:25 AM
English Canadians tend to be viewed as slightly backwards pacifists.

Canadians often see Southerners as backward war hawks, haha.

karnokoto
2009-11-11, 03:07 AM
Canada is a bit of a bizarre place, from what I know about the rest of the world.
I live on the west coast, but people on the east coast are totally bizarre and foreign to most of us. Its just so weird that so many different kinds of people with different outlooks, religions and political views can live in one country and not have too many problems.
Which isn't to say Canada is problem free, but I think we're doing buttloads better than most countries.

And yes, I LOVES me my Timmy Ho's, poutine, hockey and especially bacon. :smallcool:

Don Julio Anejo
2009-11-11, 03:23 AM
Canada is a bit of a bizarre place, from what I know about the rest of the world.
I live on the west coast, but people on the east coast are totally bizarre and foreign to most of us.
Wait, those weird Canadians over from Toronto or Ke-baak are actually people???

PS: I had a very Canadian day... Played about two hours worth of hockey, went to Timmy's and had some pretty good Canadian beer. No poutine though, makes me sad :smalleek:

Anuan
2009-11-11, 04:20 AM
I have only recently discovered this 'poutine' but when I'm in Wisconsin visiting my friend, I will buy some cheese curd (he has like 5 cheese factories within 30 miles of his house :smalleek:) and make said poutine.
It will be delicious <3

Pika...
2009-11-11, 04:40 AM
{Scrubbed}

Ikialev
2009-11-11, 05:23 AM
A Canadian is a bear-man that lives on icy wasteland. Like Russians of America.

Kalbron
2009-11-11, 05:50 AM
I'm an Australian and all I know about Canadians is that you're largely like us, except frozen when we get burnt, and you have an annoying cling-on state of Frenchies that are constantly doing their best to make life a living hell for everyone else while simultaneously trying to secede and mooch off you. :smallbiggrin:

Don Julio Anejo
2009-11-11, 05:57 AM
I'm an Australian and all I know about Canadians is that you're largely like us, except frozen when we get burnt, and you have an annoying cling-on state of Frenchies that are constantly doing their best to make life a living hell for everyone else while simultaneously trying to secede and mooch off you. :smallbiggrin:
Yeah, you guys are lucky :smallbiggrin: Kiwis all stick to their little archipelago and don't bother anyone or try to secede.. :smalltongue:

Kalbron
2009-11-11, 06:33 AM
Actually there are enough bilateral laws in place between Australia and New Zealand that a Kiwi could live their entire life in Australia as if they were an Australian citizen.

So no, they don't just stay there. They've already got an ocean between them and us and have their own flag, so why even talk about seceding when they've got all the benefits of belonging and none of the downsides? :smallbiggrin:

loopy
2009-11-11, 08:35 AM
So no, they don't just stay there. They've already got an ocean between them and us and have their own flag, so why even talk about seceding when they've got all the benefits of belonging and none of the downsides? :smallbiggrin:

Aside from having any Kiwi citizen who does anything of importance get 'adopted' as an Australian, of course. :smallamused:

LXH
2009-11-11, 08:39 AM
I look at Canada a bit wistfully as I think they are culturally what my country (US) was going to become, up until certain events in the past century nudged us into a different national mindset. :smallfrown:

But I don't have any one opinion of Canadians in particular. Most of the ones I know are nice. Some are not. My longest relationship was with a Canadian. I spent 2 1/2 years constantly flying to Toronto and Ottawa, and I loved it.

My one criticism is that I see a lot of stands selling t-shirts detailing the many ways in which the Canadians who would presumptively wear the shirts are not like Americans. You don't need to define yourselves based on who you aren't, Canadians! Be you! Be proud!

Worira
2009-11-11, 01:19 PM
[CENTER]{Scrubbed}

Pardon?

Pika...
2009-11-11, 02:44 PM
Pardon?

Well, I do not want to generalize on here but if you must know here sre my life experiences:
{Scrubbed}

Hell Puppi
2009-11-11, 03:15 PM

They have bags of milk and say 'zed' instead of 'zee' for z, which I am actually all in favor of. They are known for being a kind people who enjoy hockey and have a differing view of what bacon is.
As far as I know Canada seems like a pretty neat place, except for the fact that I have never been there so I know of it only from heresy and what my friend Meg tells me, which is kind of the same thing.

Coidzor
2009-11-11, 03:45 PM
They have bags of milk and say 'zed' instead of 'zee' for z, which I am actually all in favor of. They are known for being a kind people who enjoy hockey and have a differing view of what bacon is.
As far as I know Canada seems like a pretty neat place, except for the fact that I have never been there so I know of it only from heresy and what my friend Meg tells me, which is kind of the same thing.

Heresy, you say? What kind? Didn't know they were particularly heretical other than keeping milk in bags...

The Dark Fiddler
2009-11-11, 03:50 PM
A Canadian is a bear-man that lives on icy wasteland. Like Russians of America.

No, Candians box with bears and ask if you need hugs.

They also like syrup and dress like lumberjacks.

God, I love Punch-Out!! sometimes...

Moff Chumley
2009-11-11, 10:24 PM
Ooh, I forgot about bacon. Canada, I love you, but you have crappy bacon. *slurps on good ol' undercooked, greasy American bacon*

loopy
2009-11-11, 10:39 PM
Ooh, I forgot about bacon. Canada, I love you, but you have crappy bacon. *slurps on good ol' undercooked, greasy American bacon*

As a completely impartial bystander, I believe Australia has the best bacon.

Of course, I've never actually tried American or Canadian Bacon, but British bacon doesn't compare.

Alteran
2009-11-11, 10:56 PM

What people call "Canadian bacon" is in fact only one variety of bacon in Canada. We have the normal kind (side bacon) as well. In fact, I find it's more common. If my friends and I ever just say "bacon", we mean not-Canadian bacon.

Moff Chumley
2009-11-11, 11:19 PM
Oh. Well, you should make that very clear. :smalltongue:

The Extinguisher
2009-11-12, 12:19 AM
I don't think I've ever had "Canadian Bacon" before.

The weirdest breakfast meat I've ever had was only a flat circular sausage that tasted like maple syrup. But no weird bacon.

Gullara
2009-11-12, 09:09 AM

And they're all Asian.

Why thank you sneak:smallbiggrin: I do say "Eh?" on an occasion but I'm not Asian.