PDA

View Full Version : Q: What is the LA Race/template that gives sorc spell casting d&d 3.5

Mangles
2009-11-09, 04:49 AM
Q: What is the LA Race/template that gives sorc spell casting d&d 3.5 and if possible what book is it from

Lord of Syntax
2009-11-09, 04:55 AM
Rakashas from the MM pg. 212 or here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/rakshasa.htm)

starwoof
2009-11-09, 05:50 AM
I believe Driders (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/drider.htm) do as well.

Eloel
2009-11-09, 06:00 AM
Sylph does. Also, dragons mostly do.

mikeejimbo
2009-11-09, 08:29 AM
Rakashas from the MM pg. 212 or here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/rakshasa.htm)

Whoa, Rakshasa sorcerers are awesome.

katans
2009-11-09, 09:10 AM
Whoa, Rakshasa sorcerers are awesome.

Well, 7 racial HD, +7 LA. They're ve got awesome racial abilities, but the LA is a pain in the buttocks to any spellcaster. As foes, great. As PCs, not really.

Optimystik
2009-11-09, 09:43 AM
Well, 7 racial HD, +7 LA. They're ve got awesome racial abilities, but the LA is a pain in the buttocks to any spellcaster. As foes, great. As PCs, not really.

You must have missed this line:

EDIT: I made the same mistake mike did, and forgot to calculate ECL. :smallredface:

mikeejimbo
2009-11-09, 09:47 AM
Oh, wait a minute. I keep forgetting that the LA and HD are, in a sense, separate.

So first of all, you have the Racial HD, which essentially means you're level 7 already. And then you have to consider the LA, which means you're more like 14.

So a 15th level ECL Rakshasa casts as an 8th level sorcerer.

*phew* That's not as powerful as I'd feared.

LibraryOgre
2009-11-09, 10:00 AM
Sylph does. Also, dragons mostly do.

What's the ECL on a slyph?

ericgrau
2009-11-09, 10:00 AM
Oh, wait a minute. I keep forgetting that the LA and HD are, in a sense, separate.

So first of all, you have the Racial HD, which essentially means you're level 7 already. And then you have to consider the LA, which means you're more like 14.

So a 15th level ECL Rakshasa casts as an 8th level sorcerer.

*phew* That's not as powerful as I'd feared.

Ya, that much LA doesn't seem to make sense for a monster that's supposed to be a caster. A look at his abilities and default spell selection reveals that he's more about trickery. Plus his DR and SR are both crazy high, making him hard to attack. So working alone or with a party of rogues he could be a real pain in someone's backside. But a major caster he is not.

Driders get decent save DCs and some SR, which might make it at least doable for them. But their other abilities don't scale well.

I'll add aranea (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/aranea.htm) to the list. It has similar issues. It does have web 6/day (not the spell) that takes a full round action or an attack to break out of even if you can do it easily. It only makes the target entangled, but he also can't move from his square. Great for stopping escapes.

ex cathedra
2009-11-09, 10:33 AM
A dragonwrought kobold arguably qualifies for the Loredrake Sovereign Archetype from Dragons of Eberron, granting them two levels of sorcerer casting. Additionally, all kobolds qualify for something called the "Greater Draconic Right of Passage" while gives them one level of sorcerer casting, in addition to whatever they might have. So, a Venerable Dragonwrought Loredrake Desert Kobold Sorcerer 6 can cast spells as a Sorcerer 9. This has the obvious benefit of offsetting sorcerer's delayed spell progression and working well with prestige classes that would otherwise cause you to lose spell levels. Additionally, this incurs no racial hit die or level adjustment.

Kylarra
2009-11-09, 10:43 AM
A dragonwrought kobold arguably qualifies for the Loredrake Sovereign Archetype from Dragons of Eberron, granting them two levels of sorcerer casting. Additionally, all kobolds qualify for something called the "Greater Draconic Right of Passage" while gives them one level of sorcerer casting, in addition to whatever they might have. So, a Venerable Dragonwrought Loredrake Desert Kobold Sorcerer 6 can cast spells as a Sorcerer 9. This has the obvious benefit of offsetting sorcerer's delayed spell progression and working well with prestige classes that would otherwise cause you to lose spell levels. Additionally, this incurs no racial hit die or level adjustment.It does incur a 75% chance of having books hurled at your cranium though.

ex cathedra
2009-11-09, 10:45 AM
It does incur a 75% chance of having books hurled at your cranium though.

Some people are risk takers.

Personally? I hate kobolds.

Kylarra
2009-11-09, 10:52 AM
Some people are risk takers.

Personally? I hate kobolds.I just wanted to be sure he was warned. :smalltongue:

Mooch
2009-11-09, 10:59 AM
white dragonspawn from dragonlance campaign setting give a level for +1LA

ErrantX
2009-11-09, 12:25 PM
Feh, silly kobolds getting all the fun.

I allow any sorcerer with the Draconic heritage feat to do both of the Draconic Rites of Passage, otherwise it's just dumb :P

-X

alchemyprime
2009-11-09, 01:03 PM
If 3rd party is allowed I suggest the Wyrd from "Bastards & Bloodlines" by Green Ronin. Its a fun one. +6 LA, 2 level Sorcer casting, huge Cha bonus.

If you can get past the fact your parents were an ogre magi and an elf. :smallsigh:

Flickerdart
2009-11-09, 01:14 PM
The Gloura (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20031003e) have +2 LA, and cast as a 7th level Bard for their 7 HD. You could go into Sublime Chord from there and be like a Sorcerer. +10 DEX, +6 CHA, +4 CON. CHA to saves and AC. Almost worth the 2 LA. 1/2 BAB, but they fly.

Kylarra
2009-11-09, 04:19 PM
The Gloura (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20031003e) have +2 LA, and cast as a 7th level Bard for their 7 HD. You could go into Sublime Chord from there and be like a Sorcerer. +10 DEX, +6 CHA, +4 CON. CHA to saves and AC. Almost worth the 2 LA. 1/2 BAB, but they fly.That's actually pretty cool.

Mangles
2009-11-09, 04:57 PM
we are using arena rules but this is a gestalt game, unfortunatley most of these have too big an adjustment due to Hit die, should have made myself clearer i guess, i also do not have dragons of eberron although i have the races of the dragons book which has given me some good ideas