PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Height and weight for non-core races?

Curmudgeon
2009-11-09, 06:55 AM
If you're trying to figure out how tall or heavy your character is, there's a table (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/description.htm#tableRandomHeightandWeight) for that. But it only covers the races in the Player's Handbook. Other races just have size categories, and maybe some description.
Size/Type: Medium Outsider (Native)
Aasimars are humans with some trace of celestial blood in their veins, and tieflings have some fiendishness in their family tree.
Aasimars are usually tall, good-looking, and generally pleasant. Some have a minor physical trait suggesting their heritage, such as silver hair, golden eyes, or an unnaturally intense stare.
So what does that all mean? How short is too short for an Aasimar? How much does a Small Earth Elemental weigh? Or a Choker? I'm sure this question has come up before. If you're arranging traps in a dungeon, it would be nice to know how to arrange a pressure plate so it wouldn't go off with a typical Kobold, but would take out a Dark Creeper. (Or maybe that's backward; I don't know.) If a wire's at throat height for an Orc, will it let a Hobgoblin pass without injury?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Ecalsneerg
2009-11-09, 08:01 AM
Nitpicking time: Aasimars are in the Monster Manual, thus are core :P

Anyway, I think the Player's Guide to Faerun has tables for aasimar and tiefling heights/weights. If memory serves, they're really close to humans.

Necron
2009-11-09, 08:25 AM
Technically planetouched are half-breeds so the "base" creature would probably provide input as far as vital statistics. It's mostly assumed that tieflings and aasimar are half-human, but they could just as easily be the product of something else.

You sorta have to ad hoc the vitals of some races.

I'd probably look at the "base" creature and given the ranges a bit of a boost to account for the outsider blood powah.

I'd imagine a planetouched human would probably age like a halfling.

~EDIT
Ecalsneerg was spot on. It is in the PGtF... aasimar are adult at 15, middle aged at 45, old at 68, and venerable at 90... with max life around 150. Which ultimately IS pretty close to the halfling I quoted a second ago.

mohdri
2009-11-09, 11:27 AM
Races of Destiny also has charts for many of the near human races (height, weight, age) including assimar, tiefling and other at the end of ch. 4.

Kylarra
2009-11-09, 11:29 AM
small earth elemental is 80 lbs and 4 feet tall. :p
Choker is 35 lbs.

Curmudgeon
2009-11-09, 11:36 AM
Anyway, I think the Player's Guide to Faerun has tables for aasimar and tiefling heights/weights. If memory serves, they're really close to humans.
Thanks for that. So I'm good with Planetouched, Drow, and a bunch of Elf variants. Still doesn't tell me everything I want to know, but it's a good start.

Much appreciated. And Kylarra, thanks for pointing out things I would have seen if I hadn't flipped through the Monster Manual so quickly. :smallannoyed:

zagan
2009-11-09, 12:52 PM
Not sure if it help but in the monster manual p 314 you can find a table for the height and weight depending on the size category of the creature. It's a little broad but it provide min and max at least.

Thurbane
2009-11-09, 09:25 PM
There was an article way back when in Dragon called "Realistic Vital Statistics". Had some very good tables for this sort of thing. I'll see if I can dig it up when I have access to my Dragon 1-250 CDs.

Starbuck_II
2009-11-09, 09:49 PM
If you're trying to figure out how tall or heavy your character is, there's a table (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/description.htm#tableRandomHeightandWeight) for that. But it only covers the races in the Player's Handbook. Other races just have size categories, and maybe some description. So what does that all mean? How short is too short for an Aasimar? How much does a Small Earth Elemental weigh? Or a Choker? I'm sure this question has come up before. If you're arranging traps in a dungeon, it would be nice to know how to arrange a pressure plate so it wouldn't go off with a typical Kobold, but would take out a Dark Creeper. (Or maybe that's backward; I don't know.) If a wire's at throat height for an Orc, will it let a Hobgoblin pass without injury?

Inquiring minds want to know.
Planar Handbook. Has a chart.

ranagrande
2009-11-09, 10:02 PM
Almost about every book that features playable races has a chart. Many books named above give information on Aasimars, Races of the Dragon has a table for kobolds, etc.

Curmudgeon
2009-11-09, 10:27 PM
There was an article way back when in Dragon called "Realistic Vital Statistics". Had some very good tables for this sort of thing. I'll see if I can dig it up when I have access to my Dragon 1-250 CDs.
I'd appreciate that very much, thanks.

Thurbane
2009-11-10, 08:21 PM
Here's a link (http://elvis.rowan.edu/~klassen/gaming/rules/vitals.html) to a webpage with the relevant info. :smallwink: