PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Magazine ACFs (Alternative Class Features)

Curmudgeon
2009-11-09, 07:28 AM
Normally (when the Wizards site isn't down) there's a good list of Alternative Class Features (ACFs). But it excludes most ACFs from Dragon magazine. Is there a list somewhere of those? I don't have the magazines to flip through, but I can borrow a lot of them if I know what issues to ask for.

In particular I'm looking for Cleric ACFs, mostly things that will take them out of Tier 1 status. Like reduced spellcasting for feats, turn undead replaced by darkvision, or things along those lines.

Even partial info ("Issue # X has ACFs for Paladins") would be appreciated.

Kaiyanwang
2009-11-09, 07:33 AM
If Crystalkeep is a viable option, take a look there. i remember that the class list has monk, fighter and arcane casters ACF appeared in Dragon Magazine, so you could find what you need.

Grumman
2009-11-09, 07:49 AM
Dragon #353 has some Spellthief ACFs, most importantly the Trickster variant.

Curmudgeon
2009-11-09, 08:28 AM
If Crystalkeep is a viable option, take a look there. i remember that the class list has monk, fighter and arcane casters ACF appeared in Dragon Magazine, so you could find what you need.
I looked at their "Base Classes" index, and it had a bunch of class variants and racial substitution levels, but not too many (any?) actual alternative class features.

An example: they've got the Aspirant variant (from Dragon # 311), which has Divine Counterspell as a class feature. But they don't list the Divine Counterspell ACF from Complete Mage at all. Nor the Divine Restoration ACF from Dungeonscape, nor the Master of Spiders ACF from Drow of the Underdark. Basically every Cleric ACF I looked for wasn't on their list.

So either I'm looking in the wrong index there, or Crystalkeep isn't going to help.

Kaiyanwang
2009-11-09, 11:37 AM
I looked at their "Base Classes" index, and it had a bunch of class variants and racial substitution levels, but not too many (any?) actual alternative class features.

An example: they've got the Aspirant variant (from Dragon # 311), which has Divine Counterspell as a class feature. But they don't list the Divine Counterspell ACF from Complete Mage at all. Nor the Divine Restoration ACF from Dungeonscape, nor the Master of Spiders ACF from Drow of the Underdark. Basically every Cleric ACF I looked for wasn't on their list.

So either I'm looking in the wrong index there, or Crystalkeep isn't going to help.

Uh.. true. A lot of books miss from Crystalkeep (like the very good DotU). In my experience, generally Dragon and Dungeon are more likely to be listed, so I pointed it out.

My bad, I guess you have to look elsewhere... :smallfrown:

Draz74
2009-11-09, 11:49 AM

IIRC, CrystalKeep calls all ACF's "Variants" for some reason.

Ruinix
2009-11-09, 12:02 PM
on DM wich is listed on crystalkeep too there is a alternative fighter for rangeds chars wich is a MUST to take at least 1 lev.
Fighter Targeteer. get a feat wich can add to the ranged attack the bonus on dex.