PDA

View Full Version : Make this concept valid

Holocron Coder
2009-11-09, 10:31 AM
I want to make a Swordsage / Psion. The character would be mostly martial, with the ability to self-buff (haste, armor, etc), with the ability to toss out the occasional magic bolt or similar.

Think the guy on the left in this picture (http://fc02.deviantart.com/fs48/i/2009/151/4/9/Piandao_vs_Sifu_Kisu_by_Booter_Freak.png) for general concept.

ex cathedra
2009-11-09, 10:36 AM
I hate to say it, but, oh god, here I go.

I'm going to suggest Monk over Unarmed Swordsage, because the Tashalatora feat from Secrets of Sarlona lets you stack your monk levels and your levels in one psionic class (I'd suggest ardent or psychic warrior) for the purposes of most of your important monk class features. Monk 2/Psychic Warrior 18 still has the unarmed damage potential of a Monk 20, while... you know...

not entirely sucking.

kamikasei
2009-11-09, 10:37 AM
Well... straight off, you're probably better going with a Warblade/Psion, or a Swordsage/Psychic Warrior, for stat synergy. Or (and I may be incorrect about this), doesn't Ardent run off Wisdom too? So Swordsage/Ardent would have synergy, and perhaps more useful powers available than Psychic Warrior, and because of the way Ardent manifesting works could take up to four levels of Swordsage without any hit to manifesting ability for the low low cost of a Practiced Manifester feat (IIRC).

However, I would say you'd be as well off with a simple Swordsage build - you can use Desert Wind (and some Shadow Hand, I think) maneuvers for ranged magicky damage.

AstralFire
2009-11-09, 10:39 AM
Psionic Race + Fluff + Desert Wind and Diamond Mind Swordsage is honestly your best bet in WotCanon.

I have a soulknife revision that is exactly what you're asking for, however:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7200545#post7200545

Holocron Coder
2009-11-09, 12:29 PM
Hrm. I imagine there's quite a lack of PrCs devoted to psionic / ToB gishing, eh?

I like the idea of the Swordsage/PsyWar. Completely forgot about the synergy that class has. I'll have to take a glance at the Ardent as well, don't believe I've heard of it...

Darrin
2009-11-09, 05:38 PM
I like the idea of the Swordsage/PsyWar. Completely forgot about the synergy that class has.

Something else you might want to consider: Swordsage5/War Mind 6/Swordsage X (Knowledge Devotion or Education to pick up Knowledge: Psionics). Sweeping Strike combined with ToB Maneuvers... *drool*.

Raewyn
2009-11-09, 06:27 PM
If your DM is cool with it (mine happened to be, but YMMV), you can use the Kung-Fu Genius feat (or Carmendine Monk) to use your Int for Swordsage abilities instead of Wis.

Mongoose87
2009-11-09, 06:29 PM
If your DM is cool with it (mine happened to be, but YMMV), you can use the Kung-Fu Genius feat (or Carmendine Monk) to use your Int for Swordsage abilities instead of Wis.

That we be awesome, due to MAD reduction. You'd have to get a ruling that it changes the stat for maneuver DCs, too, though.

Fax Celestis
2009-11-09, 06:29 PM
Hrm. I imagine there's quite a lack of PrCs devoted to psionic / ToB gishing, eh?

I like the idea of the Swordsage/PsyWar. Completely forgot about the synergy that class has. I'll have to take a glance at the Ardent as well, don't believe I've heard of it...

It's in CPsi. Quite possibly one of like four things in that book that are actually honest-to-god worthwhile.

Wereling
2009-11-09, 08:13 PM
What about going swordsage/warmind? I've done it in the past, and it worked pretty well for me.