PDA

View Full Version : So, My RL DM finally concluded our game and a funny thing happened

kladams707
2009-11-09, 11:45 AM
quick background: We never finished our game over the past winter (all of us ECL 18) b/c he joined the marines and got into boot camp earlier than he thought. Well, this past weekend, we were all able to get together for the conclusion.

[edit]I really didn't think a full background was necessary for this sort of thing

We had to go into this dungeon to keep a magic item out of the hands of evil (eventually we were successful). There w/ carnivorous nymphs and giant spiders. There was also a poltergeist and a weretiger (the latter of which we trapped in a cage).

It was fun, but the most memorable part occurred when our blood magus (we're more about flavor than power) chose (i repeat he chose) to become a vampire.

At one point in the encounter, we were facing this big bad evil vampire who then trapped all of us but the magus in a prismatic sphere-like spell. While we were scrambling to get out safely, the magus willingly let the vamp suck his blood.

Vagnarok
2009-11-09, 12:33 PM
While this is a little intriguing it would most certainly be more so should you choose to elaborate.

Optimystik
2009-11-09, 12:48 PM
Vampires...blood...blood magus....

I totally get it!

(That's actually a terrible combination. Since vampires can't enter people's homes uninvited, he's just removed a massive portion of viable endpoints for his bloodwalk ability.)

kladams707
2009-11-09, 02:12 PM
While this is a little intriguing it would most certainly be more so should you choose to elaborate.

Well, there's not much more to tell other than he did this while we were trapped in something like a prismatic sphere. The vamp separated us and the magus willingly took the bite.

"Since vampires can't enter people's homes uninvited, he's just removed a massive portion of viable endpoints for his bloodwalk ability"

Well, there's that, and all the draughts he lost (and went to the vamp).

Tyndmyr
2009-11-09, 02:15 PM
It was fun,but the most memorable part is that our blood magus (we're more about flavor than power) at one point of the game chose (i repeat he chose) to become a vampire.

The only way this story could be written worse is if it were as follows:

I accidentally our only chance at purple with cupcakes.

Myrmex
2009-11-09, 02:18 PM

I accidentally the whole thing!

kladams707
2009-11-09, 02:19 PM

Ok. Right.

Tyndmyr
2009-11-09, 02:20 PM
It's a sentence, not a story...it doesn't mean much on it's own, you need some background and stuff.

kladams707
2009-11-09, 02:26 PM
Yes, it is a sentence. I didn't intend it to be a full story.

[edit]The reason being I didn't think it was needed.

Optimystik
2009-11-09, 02:29 PM
The funny part of your story (at least, to me) isn't that your blood magus friend became a vampire... it's that the vampire that turned him got buffed to the nines instantaneously by drinking all the potions he had stored in his circulatory system. Had you said that in your opening post I think there would be less confusion.

Moriato
2009-11-09, 02:38 PM
The funny part of your story (at least, to me) isn't that your blood magus friend became a vampire... it's that the vampire that turned him got buffed to the nines instantaneously by drinking all the potions he had stored in his circulatory system. Had you said that in your opening post I think there would be less confusion.

If only he'd stored up enough cure serious wounds potions...

kladams707
2009-11-09, 02:39 PM
Oh well, lesson learned.

reefwood
2009-11-09, 02:51 PM
I got a kick out of the sentence-long story as it was written.

But as for potions... had the blood magus really drank potions? If so, would a vampire really gain the potion benefits by drinking his blood? I have good reason to think this is impossible/ridiculous but first want to see if there is a rule that says otherwise or if that part was just a joke.

Myrmex
2009-11-09, 02:53 PM

But as for potions... had the blood magus really drank potions? If so, would a vampire really gain the potion benefits by drinking his blood? I have good reason to think this is impossible/ridiculous but first want to see if there is a rule that says otherwise or if that part was just a joke.

The Blood Magus has a class ability where he stores potions in his blood, and other players can gain their use by drinking an ounce of his blood.

Boci
2009-11-09, 03:00 PM
The Blood Magus has a class ability where he stores potions in his blood, and other players can gain their use by drinking an ounce of his blood.

But it states they are never lost by accident. Only if the bloodmage wants the creature to gain the benefit.

Optimystik
2009-11-09, 03:07 PM

Yes and no. Blood Magi don't drink potions to create this effect, they actually form the potion within their own bodies.

Blood Draught (Ex): At 4th level, a blood magus learns how to store spells of up to 3rd level in his own blood. Effectively, he gains the Brew Potion feat (see page 89 of the Player’s Handbook) using an alternative medium. All rules, XP costs, and expenses that apply to Brew Potion also apply to this ability, with the following exceptions.

Once “brewed,” a blood draught remains in circulation within a magus’s body. The maximum number of draughts he can store at one time is equal to his blood magus level + his Con score, but if he is ever slain, they are all immediately ruined—even if he is subsequently returned to life. Blood draughts are never accidentally lost through major blood loss or by a blood-draining attack.

To consume a draught, a blood magus pricks his skin, automatically bringing forth the desired effect. This is a standard action that provokes attacks of opportunity, like drinking a potion. Another individual can partake of a blood draught (if he or she has a strong stomach) by drinking 1 ounce of the blood magus’s blood as a full-round action. The blood magus must have an open wound to share the effects of a blood draught with another creature; if he lacks one, the creature can inflict a wound that deals 1 point of damage to the blood magus as part of the action to consume the draught. A blood magus cannot store his blood in a container to share at a later time. The blood draught must be drawn fresh from his body, or it loses potency within 1 round.

The underlined portion in the 2nd paragraph is WotC's attempt at clarifying the interaction between blood magi and vampires, but as usual their choice of words becomes their downfall. The key word there is "accidentally," which makes the rule on vampires drinking blood draughts ambiguous. While it's clear a vampire can't get the potions by accident, it is still unclear whether a) the blood magus can willingly provide his potions to a vampire (in exchange for being turned, for instance) or that b) a vampire who knows his target is a blood magus can't intentionally steal the potions.

Myrmex
2009-11-09, 03:09 PM
Yes and no. Blood Magi don't drink potions to create this effect, they actually form the potion within their own bodies.

The italicized portion in the 2nd paragraph is WotC's attempt at clarifying the interaction between blood magi and vampires, but as usual their choice of words becomes their downfall. The key word there is "accidentally," which makes the rule on vampires drinking blood draughts ambiguous. While it's clear a vampire can't get the potions by accident, it is still unclear whether a) the blood magus can willingly provide his potions to a vampire (in exchange for being turned, for instance) or that b) a vampire who knows his target is a blood magus can't intentionally steal the potions.

I think it's pretty clear what is meant- they cannot be lost to a) bleeding from trauma and b) a blood draining attack, from a vampire, stirge, etc.

Random832
2009-11-09, 03:26 PM
The problem is, in other cases (including vampires, or just a normal human that cuts you open to drink your blood either because they're freaky like that or they intend to sap your precious bodily fluids potions), it's ambiguous because while it can't be "accidental", there are two possible choices of which agent can have intent here for it to be non-accidental.

AstralFire
2009-11-09, 03:39 PM
This reminds me of the time two vampires tried to feed off of Superman and their magic fangs pierced through his first layer of invulnerability... only so they could suck on his solar-powered flesh and immediately explode.

AtwasAwamps
2009-11-09, 03:46 PM
This reminds me of the time two vampires tried to feed off of Superman and their magic fangs pierced through his first layer of invulnerability... only so they could suck on his solar-powered flesh and immediately explode.

This is the best thing ever.

Optimystik
2009-11-09, 04:01 PM
I think it's pretty clear what is meant- they cannot be lost to a) bleeding from trauma and b) a blood draining attack, from a vampire, stirge, etc.

"They can't be lost accidentally to a blood-draining attack" is not the same as saying "blood draining attacks never work on these, ever." Which is really what WotC should have said. Yours is probably RAI, but it is not RAW.

kladams707
2009-11-09, 04:24 PM
Yeah, we weren't really sure either. Neither was the DM. He did a roll of the dice w/ odds being the draughts were not given to the vamp. It turned up even. Though they were all low level spells anyway, that just made the encounter slightly more painful than it needed to be.

However, turning into an undead, I would think the draughts would be lost anyway.