PDA

View Full Version : Help for a Totemist Grappler [3.5]

D-naras
2009-11-09, 01:33 PM
Hi playground. I need help making an effective Totemist focused on grappling, though I dont know how to do it. I am new to Incarnum, I only used it once for an NPC Totemist focusing on Manticore Belt to get lots of attacks while a fellow bard dragonfire inspired him and he was brutal. :smalltongue:

Now I want to make a Totemist grappler, and I think a dip in Monk for grabbing all the feats fast and easy. I am thinking Goliath for race with LA bought off. It will be around 4-7 level, all books allowed and standard WBL. I think scorpion grasp will work great with a large number of attacks, so i would like that too. Now, my biggest problem is the rest of the feats, the Melds and the items.... Any help is appreciated!

Edit: Stats are generated by 32 point buy.

Glimbur
2009-11-09, 01:41 PM
Know and love the Girallion Arms soulmeld. Arguably the Sphinx Claws also help with grappling, but they don't help as much as Girallion Arms. You could take Double Chakra: Arms so you can also bind the Totem Avatar to your arms and get Improved Grapple that way. Or put the Kraken Mantle bound to your arms instead to get bonuses to grapple Heart of Fire bound to your Totem would add some damage but it's fire damage and I'm not convinced it's the best approach. I built a Totemist 20 grappler here (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=134374).

JeenLeen
2009-11-09, 02:02 PM
I had a lot of fun with this sort of character.

Max Girallion Arms, as recommended. I used the feat that lets you put +1 essentia into it.

Lords of Madness has some feats that will give a racial bonus to grappling and reach: Aberration Blood (Limbs) for +2 Grapple and Deepspawn for tentacle attacks and +2 another Grapple. IIRC, Grapple sources from different sources stack, so both should apply for +4. You might find better uses for your feats, though.
In addition, Inhuman Reach gives you a +5 to your reach (although -1 to melee attack rolls; not sure if that counts to Grapple checks). Could be handy to grapple at range.

Choosing a +1 LA race that makes you large could be useful, as well. You can add Enlarge Person on top of that to increase your Grapple.

D-naras
2009-11-09, 02:05 PM
He's very impressive, though I would really appreciate it if you could give me advice on lower levels, about 6. When and if I reach 20 levels I could try and make my Totemist look like yours. :smallsmile:

Which souldmelds should I use at lower levels, and what should be my battle plan in case grappling doesn't work?

(Dont get me wrong, I really appreciate your help)

Glimbur
2009-11-09, 02:26 PM
At really low levels the Threefold Mask is nice because it's three primary attacks. As you level you'll probably want to use something that gets more damage out of more essentia, like the Girallion Arms or the Kruthik Claws. Good feats to take include Bonus Essentia at 6th, Improved Soulmeld Capacity (maybe take it twice), Double Chakra: Totem at 9th level, and maybe Shape Soulmeld: Crystal Helm if you have Essentia to spare for more AC. Power Attack is ok but not great since you're not using a weapon two handed. Consider some of the [Incarnum] feats for more Essentia if you find yourself running low.