PDA

View Full Version : Sleep/Stunning and Saving Throws

Cicciograna
2009-11-09, 05:36 PM
Reading the introduction to Mind Flayers entry from Lord of Darkness I always wondered what the "taste link" was. After buying the Expanded Psionic Handbook I finally discovered that it is a use of the power Sense link (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/senseLink.htm).
But there is something unclear: the target of this power must be "a willing creature", which I'm sure that Kilimur is not. One could imagine that the Illithid called Sugglir used instead Sense link, Forced, but while on the first power it's possible to augment it and having the target feel one of the manifester's senses, the forced version doesn't allow such an option. Which brings me to the question.
Knowing Mind Flayers it's verosimilar that the human Kilimur was held captive, and he was probabily stunned. So my question is...
Is a sleeping/stunned/otherwise unconscious creature considered "willing" in respect to powers and spells that require the willingness of the target to work? Does it's lack of conscience make her automatically fail eventual saving throws (maybe only on Will)?
[SPOILER]If not, how could Sugglir link his mind to his snack's and have him taste his own brain?[/SPOOLIER]

Mongoose87
2009-11-09, 05:42 PM
IIRC, unconscious creatures always count as willing.

Cicciograna
2009-11-09, 05:50 PM
IIRC, unconscious creatures always count as willing.

Would you please care to report a source for your answer? I seem to recall the same thing, but I couldn't find it anywhere.

jokey665
2009-11-09, 05:56 PM
Unconscious creatures are automatically considered willing, but a character who is conscious but immobile or helpless (such as one who is bound, cowering, grappling, paralyzed, pinned, or stunned) is not automatically willing.
There you go.

Cicciograna
2009-11-09, 06:02 PM
There you go.

Thank you too.
Thread can be closed.

Douglas
2009-11-09, 06:03 PM
jokey665 gave the reference. In particular, note that "stunned" and similar conditions do not qualify. Any means of rendering someone unconscious will work, but a stunned character is still conscious. He is merely disoriented enough to be unable to act coherently, much like you might be after getting a hard knock on the head that wasn't quite hard enough to knock you unconscious.

Cicciograna
2009-11-09, 06:20 PM
jokey665 gave the reference. In particular, note that "stunned" and similar conditions do not qualify. Any means of rendering someone unconscious will work, but a stunned character is still conscious. He is merely disoriented enough to be unable to act coherently, much like you might be after getting a hard knock on the head that wasn't quite hard enough to knock you unconscious.

Yes, reading the actual reference clarified every doubt.